• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scam Citizen's new Legatus ship pack costs $48,000

ManaByte

The prices are where things get pretty eye-opening. The Legatus bundle is mostly known for its wallet-gouging price tags; the first bundle, Legatus 2950, was released in 2018 for $27,000.

Fast-forwarding to this year and RSI is selling a Legatus 2953 bundle for a cool $48,000. That's over three times more money than an average minimum wage employee will make all year.

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/95141/star-citizens-new-legatus-ship-pack-costs-48-000/index.html
lebowski-atm.gif

Spyxos

Gold Member
200.gif

I play it from time to time and it's strange to hear other players brag about how much money they've spent on this game.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I support whale hunting as the reason we might eventually get a Squadron 42 (maybe Star Citizen too though I'm not big on multiplayer myself) way more than whale hunting as the reason we do get mobile gacha #9334956 (that shuts down in a year after raking in as much money with individuals spending 10s of thousands or more like there's no tomorrow) which only receives some light criticism or even just plain mention once in a blue moon or when China of all nations tries to regulate that market a bit 🤷‍♂️

Obviously it's not some unknown project that escaped the attention of game "journalists" who made their career on exposes that fell in their lap. There's just nothing to reveal, they're as transparent as can be and all critics pretending they uncover shocking secrets go off numbers readily available on their reports. They're obviously actually employing all the studios they've opened etc., at this point you probably have people that once worked there for years but have since moved on and still no prize dirt has come out beyond Roberts being rich and doing rich people things as he was and did.

Disclaimer: I bought a ~70 LTI ship with eventual access to Squadron 42 but recently sold my account as it's taking too damn long/might never get done. Still impressed with the latest tech videos and hyped with the Squadron 42 footage. I regret Kickstarting Wasteland 2 at the boxed tier more 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
That's capitalizing on whales for ya. No shame. And the reason they do it is twofold: Whales. And no matter how shady, it wont hurt the brand because its bottom of the barrel already. So might as keep selling it.

If Nabisco sold one of a kind gold dusted Oreo cookies or Honda did gold plated lawnmowers for $48,000 they could if they want to. Hey, I'm sure some rich guys out there in the world will buy it for laughs or they are a collector. Easy money for the companies. Sell 20 units and that's a $1M in sales boost.

But they still dont because it's embarrassingly bad looking. For Star Citizen and their gamers, nothing is too shallow or tacky.

Last edited:
I can't wait for the documentary after the whales eventually leave, and the devs ride off into the sunset with whatever's left in tbe coffers after a decade+ of stable employment that can't be accused of fraud.

It's a variation of the plot of 'The Producers' in videogame form.

Ribi

Brand new Mercedes-Benz E350 - Starts at $55K

One (updated) useless imaginary JPEG pack boi - $48K

Decisions decisions...

Spider-Man 2 didn't cost "the customer" $394 million tho. Nice rage bait.
Does star citizen? Last I checked the budget was 600 mill for 2 games and that's the budget not the $$$ used. Nt tho

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I mean, if some dumbass buys it, then it was smart of them to sell it for that much. I just wish stupid rich people would do better things with their money, like donate it to charity. Or to me. Eh, same thing.

Ribi

The funniest part is that I've asked around and no one can tell me if this actually saves you any money

Buggy Loop

I support whales as the reason we'll have Squadron 42 (maybe Star Citizen too though I'm not big on multiplayer) way more than whales as the reason we have mobile gacha #933495 that shuts down in a year after raking in as much money yet only gets some light criticism once in a blue moon 🤷‍♂️

Sad Doctor Who GIF

Thanks to whales I’ve enjoyed the fuck out of this game for the past month

While Elite dangerous is having Frontier in the negatives in the ~26M range, Cobra engine being a dead end technologically, players leaving…. SC is growing, best year in funding, got a shitload new players since October and the tech coming up is insane.

So keep the Moby Dicks coming in

I don’t care for fake outrage on something nobody has to buy, if someone has that kind of fuck you money, 48k on a game is probably in the least triggering stuffs he’s wasting cash on

Last edited:
Does star citizen?

Yes. That's what crowdfunding is. From the customer, in advance, funded straight to software development. The customer is funding the development, in thinly veiled corporate PR speak bullshit that CR has been doing for more than half a decade during the times when he was at Origin Systems and later Microsoft, who dumped his ass and completed Freelancer themselves, only this time it's the suckers that he's managed to cultivate with decades of his manipulative PR bullshit koolaid that these negative IQ degenerates fall for without even questioning their overlord.

The entire fucking premise of SC's pitch in that initial video 12 years ago, is that (paraphrasing, not completely accurate) "no publisher, no deadlines, you are the publisher, we're answerable to you, transparent development".

So, yes. Star Citizen DOES cost "the customer", in excess of $655 million USD, as of now.

Last I checked the budget was 600 mill for 2 games

That's what SC drones tell themselves to split the dev budget into two, to cope harder, and get wet every night holding CR's pic on his private yacht, but reality's often disappointing.

Star Citizen is one game, which comprises of it's SP (SQ42) and the MP (Star Marine, ToW, PU etc). It uses the same fucking engine, same fucking assets, same fucking middleware, and was part of THE SAME FUCKING KICKSTARTER AND CROWDFUNDING PACKAGE, until 2016 when CR decided it was better for PR koolaid to split the project into two, claiming two games and two budgets, less bad coverage in the news if they pretended it was two projects entirely and the SC cultists fell right into his PR shithole with more ammo for forum wars to spread the lies, coping and seething since then.

Naming it SQ42 and having even a separate installer and execution file/launcher, doesn't make it a different game. A braindead monkey would be able to decipher this.

Imagine a Doom, Unreal, CoD or Battlefield game dev saying "Oh, that's Test of Valor, our single player campaign experience, which we decided will now be a standalone game instead of the basic fucking expectation that it's part of the same package, was announced so and costs another $70 that you suckers will pay us, but hey it features Henry Cavill, Gary Oldman, Mark Hamill and Gillian Anderson! Please buy the early access of our pre-alpha now! Until stocks last for this digital download!". SC drones with brain damage will believe this, of course. Every other normal human being with a functioning braincell will tell the publishers to fuck right off.

Oh, and the budget, as of typing this is $655.5 million USD (and counting) in crowdfunding, by customers

Screenshot-20231224-110449-706.png

and $63.25 million USD by private investors, which, as of now, makes it a total of now, is ~$719 (rounded off) million USD, and counting.

and that's the budget not the $$$ used. Nt tho

Reserve funding for the project is ALWAYS under $50 million USD every year, at least for the last 5 years.

That's almost $670 million USD spent, in 11 years of dev time, for a fucking "PRE-ALPHA" that has 1 OUT OF THE PROMISED 100 STAR SYSTEMS on the Kickstarter, oh yeah but we'll just forget all that and use the customer's funding for fucking bartender AI instead.

Forget fucking Pyro and 4.0 which is another fucking year away, let's just casually namedrop 3.21 on Spectrum right before Citizencon and pretend no one is surprised, but oh hey here's 3.22 with replication layer preview and Team Elimination! which chugs a fucking 4090 into a single digit performance slideshow, and the TTK of a fucking bullet sponge with rng recoil and desync. Let's all cry with CR at CitCon on how we're this close to getting dynamic server meshing next year, despite announcing it 5 fucking years ago.

Nice coping and seething though.

Mowcno

"The game was announced via a private crowdfunding page in September 2012. The launch of the game was originally anticipated for 2014."

Imagine taking everyone's money with the promise of a game in 2 years and then 11 years later still not have delivered what you originally promised. Yet still have people support you. Doesn't matter if the game turns out good it'll always be soured in my eyes by their actions.

I view taking the money of ordinary people and promising them a game in 2 years and not delivering 10+ years later as completely unethical. Whether he knew at the time they wouldn't be able to deliver in 2014 or not. It's either incompetence or willfully misleading. But yes sone people will happily give them $48k for this.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
I support whales as the reason we'll have Squadron 42 (maybe Star Citizen too though I'm not big on multiplayer) way more than whales as the reason we have mobile gacha #933495 that shuts down in a year after raking in as much money yet only gets some light criticism once in a blue moon 🤷‍♂️
Yeah the parrots should consider to branch out to be able to parrot a wider area.

Majukun

"The game was announced via a private crowdfunding page in September 2012. The launch of the game was originally anticipated for 2014."

Imagine taking everyone's money with the promise of a game in 2 years and then 11 years later still not have delivered what you originally promised. Yet still have people support you. Doesn't matter if the game turns out good it'll always be soured in my eyes by their actions.

I view taking the money of ordinary people and promising them a game in 2 years and not delivering 10+ years later as completely unethical. Whether he knew at the time they wouldn't be able to deliver in 2014 or not. It's either incompetence or willfully misleading. But yes sone people will happily give them $48k for this.
to be honest that's something that would be more common place if publishers were fans, projects not respecting deadlines and running into hiccups is the norm.

other games don't reach this level just because fundings are pull way earlier, not because it's unethical. We often criticize publishers for giving up or cutting funds on unlimired ambition (and mismanagement), like when konami said "enough" to Kojima for MGS5, well this is what happens if no one pulls the breaks.

As long as the game is still in development and they are transparent on the status of operation (big ifs and can't really say if they do), it's fair game IMHO, it just jumps on the eye because it's completely unlike the usual industry MO.

LimanimaPT

Did I read this right? 600 MILLIONS have already been spent? And people keep dropping money on this? This people should be in jail for fraude.

Exede

I dont care what people say, i bought me some ships and had a great time in SC. Not playing currently but all in all i do not regret spending on the game, at all.

Ribi

Yes. That's what crowdfunding is. From the customer, in advance, funded straight to software development. The customer is funding the development, in thinly veiled corporate PR speak bullshit that CR has been doing for more than half a decade during the times when he was at Origin Systems and later Microsoft, who dumped his ass and completed Freelancer themselves, only this time it's the suckers that he's managed to cultivate with decades of his manipulative PR bullshit koolaid that these negative IQ degenerates fall for without even questioning their overlord.

The entire fucking premise of SC's pitch in that initial video 12 years ago, is that (paraphrasing, not completely accurate) "no publisher, no deadlines, you are the publisher, we're answerable to you, transparent development".

So, yes. Star Citizen DOES cost "the customer", in excess of $655 million USD, as of now.

That's what SC drones tell themselves to split the dev budget into two, to cope harder, and get wet every night holding CR's pic on his private yacht, but reality's often disappointing.

Star Citizen is one game, which comprises of it's SP (SQ42) and the MP (Star Marine, ToW, PU etc). It uses the same fucking engine, same fucking assets, same fucking middleware, and was part of THE SAME FUCKING KICKSTARTER AND CROWDFUNDING PACKAGE, until 2016 when CR decided it was better for PR koolaid to split the project into two, claiming two games and two budgets, less bad coverage in the news if they pretended it was two projects entirely and the SC cultists fell right into his PR shithole with more ammo for forum wars to spread the lies, coping and seething since then.

Naming it SQ42 and having even a separate installer and execution file/launcher, doesn't make it a different game. A braindead monkey would be able to decipher this.

Imagine a Doom, Unreal, CoD or Battlefield game dev saying "Oh, that's Test of Valor, our single player campaign experience, which we decided will now be a standalone game instead of the basic fucking expectation that it's part of the same package, was announced so and costs another $70 that you suckers will pay us, but hey it features Henry Cavill, Gary Oldman, Mark Hamill and Gillian Anderson! Please buy the early access of our pre-alpha now! Until stocks last for this digital download!". SC drones with brain damage will believe this, of course. Every other normal human being with a functioning braincell will tell the publishers to fuck right off.

Oh, and the budget, as of typing this is $655.5 million USD (and counting) in crowdfunding, by customers

Screenshot-20231224-110449-706.png

and $63.25 million USD by private investors, which, as of now, makes it a total of now, is ~$719 (rounded off) million USD, and counting.

Reserve funding for the project is ALWAYS under $50 million USD every year, at least for the last 5 years.

That's almost $670 million USD spent, in 11 years of dev time, for a fucking "PRE-ALPHA" that has 1 OUT OF THE PROMISED 100 STAR SYSTEMS on the Kickstarter, oh yeah but we'll just forget all that and use the customer's funding for fucking bartender AI instead.

Forget fucking Pyro and 4.0 which is another fucking year away, let's just casually namedrop 3.21 on Spectrum right before Citizencon and pretend no one is surprised, but oh hey here's 3.22 with replication layer preview and Team Elimination! which chugs a fucking 4090 into a single digit performance slideshow, and the TTK of a fucking bullet sponge with rng recoil and desync. Let's all cry with CR at CitCon on how we're this close to getting dynamic server meshing next year, despite announcing it 5 fucking years ago.

Nice coping and seething though.
Ok but Spiderman was 300mil and had shitty MJ missions

I doubt anyone just drops 47K at once. Most of these whales probably spend that over multiple years.
Why would anyone pay that much money for in-game items? This beyond crazy to me.
Tens of billions are spend on in game cosmetics every year in the game industry. It's a big business. And one person spending tens of thousands on a mobile game is not rare either.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

I doubt anyone just drops 47K at once. Most of these whales probably spend that over multiple years.

You can’t even see this package unless you’re already a 5 number whale.

Today even if you wanted to, you don’t have access to the pack even with 47k

But let’s lose our collective shit

Doczu

That's 60% of the mortgage i still have. Or a good used premium car. Or whatever i could get for my family.

Fuck Scam Citizen

Top Bottom