• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scam DIY Portable N64 on Kickstarter is a Scam

Lijik

I thought I would check back in on this all these months later...

fI6l1zL.png

I highlighted the important bit where he spent backers money

dudes got balls the size of grapefruit holy shit
he isnt even trying to be subtle

Labadal

'I do hope this update helps'

Lolololololololololol

Never backed a Kick-starter, never will

This was an obvious scam that no one should have supported.

I have also stopped using Kickstarter directly. Not because I don't trust crowd funding, but for the simple reason that Kickstarter allows scams to keep on getting funded despite people reporting it to them.

liquidtmd

Banned
I have also stopped using Kickstarter directly. Not because I don't trust crowd funding, but for the simple reason that Kickstarter allows scams to keep on getting funded despite people reporting it to them.

This. I appreciate there are legit Kick-starters but until there are decent safeguards for KS as a whole and some semblance of due diligence (I.e Kick-starter doing more to earn their cut more than just being a broker) I can't support it

So he got the money and spent it on some sort of cruise ship trip (apart from imo bad use of money) that's despicable. Why was this allowed to get to over $5000 in the first place when it was obviously a scam?

Guy is a smug asshole.

CSampson

Hey, Kickstarter is fine. and there's a large majority of them that are totally above board. it's idiots like this giving it a bad name. go pledge for Yooka Laylee already.

Why would I assume any sort of risk when there are thousands of nice people like you willing to do it for me?

Rich!

Why would I assume any sort of risk when there are thousands of nice people like you willing to do it for me?

Well, in the case of Yooka Laylee...

If you pay for the £30 tier, you get both the steam edition, a console edition code, an exclusive advance demo for the PC and a contributor credit. Seeing as the Wii U version alone will likely launch at around £17, its a damn good deal.

DedValve

Banned

For Yooka-Layllee? Yes your right but other well deserved games/products that barely or don't reach their stretch goals and its assholes like these that give other people good caution on KickStarter.

But Kickstarters always a risk, thats how any investment works. Something I feel some people don't understand (saying they'll only back if they are guaranteed something).

If you pay for the £30 tier, you get both the steam edition, a console edition code, an exclusive advance demo for the PC and a contributor credit. Seeing as the Wii U version alone will likely launch at around £17, its a damn good deal.

You don't get a Steam key and console code for the £30 tier, or any tier, as far as I know.

But Kickstarters always a risk, thats how any investment works. Something I feel some people don't understand (saying they'll only back if they are guaranteed something).

Kickstarters aren't an investment. You don't get any ROI. At best you get a game years later that you could just buy when its out for the same price, except you held onto your cash in the meantime.

For any game or thing that's on there, you're better off just waiting until they're out and buying then. Yes it might not happen unless they get funding, but I'm not going to be the one wasting money on something that a) might not even happen b) might end up being shit or c) might take 10 times as long as they say. It's like preordering, except worse.

Sendou

Kickstarters aren't an investment. You don't get any ROI. At best you get a game years later that you could just buy when its out for the same price, except you held onto your cash in the meantime.

For any game or thing that's on there, you're better off just waiting until they're out and buying then. Yes it might not happen unless they get funding, but I'm not going to be the one wasting money on something that a) might not even happen b) might end up being shit or c) might take 10 times as long as they say. It's like preordering, except worse.

In the same post you say there's no ROI and the games that get funding might not happen otherwise. I would say there's your ROI although not a traditional one. It's a collective form of funding games in niche genres. In that it has been a spectacular success. Just see how Pillars of Eternity reviewed.

You don't have to be that guy, some people have to, for you to get that option you're talking about, so you really shouldn't be that condescending about people taking the risk you're not willing to take, while you sit and wait for the benefits of it.

grim-tales

In fact I just pledged for Yooka Laylee - looks really good :)

v1perz53

Well generally the price point for backing on kickstarter that gets you a copy of the game is lower than the cost of the game when it comes out. Like Broken Age for example, $15 backers got the game but it normally sells for $25 on steam. Similarly, Shovel Knight backers paid $10 for the game while it sells for $15 now. Sure, like all other things you could wait for a price drop and get it after launch for the backer price, but that would be a long wait from kickstarter launch to price drop. Broken Age is currently on sale 30% off and still more expensive than the backer price.

Also, there is the idea that if you have extra money now and put it down for a game, you have that game when it comes out regardless of how your financial situation changes. This is the only small merit to pre-ordering in general in my eyes.

Zubz

Banned
So, it is now funded now...

Here is a selection of the final backers to the project....

JviSEDg.png

Let's check a few of those names...

Dj77iA9.png

R9PTplJ.png

Those two first joined Kickstarter last month, this is the first project they ever funded.

In fact, all 7 of the above names first joined Kickstarter last month, this is the first project they ever funded

I am not flat out saying this is a scam, but judging on this, and the collection of other thing both I, and others have gathered in this thread, it should set a few alarm bells off that something is wrong.

... I just got why this is so despicable. The KickStarter was always a close-call, but for awhile it looked like it wouldn't make it, and thus no one would have to pay anything. He funded the last several hundred dollars himself under some fake names just so the actual backers would have to pay up and he'd still make a profit.

Rich!

A slightly OT bump but I wanted to address this:

I sent a message via Kickstarter regarding this and was told that it's just one code for the platform of your choice.

Then one of the devs was giving out incorrect information.

Proof is in the kick starter thread.

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden

You don't get a Steam key and console code for the £30 tier, or any tier, as far as I know.

To clarify: £10 gets you the Steam version, £15 is the console version of your choice, £20 onwards you choose between either. Only one final retail code is given to each backer, but the playbox demo added at £20 is a separate thing.

8PsmlHx.png

I looked at his facebook and the dude seems to be a serious mooch.

He's probably that guy who's always spinning sob stories to get people to give him stuff or do favors for him.

Top Bottom