• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scanline screenshot thread. Because 240p is all the p's I need.

TheMoon

That's how I intend to roll with my SNES mini but now on the hunt to find a HDMI to VGA adapter. I just got a cable of ebay which I was hoping would have been an easy no fuss HDMI to VGA cable but alas it doesn't work. Requesting a refund..

these things are trash in general. had one for my computer but it caused hard crashes until I switched it out again.

Vespa

That's how I intend to roll with my SNES mini but now on the hunt to find a HDMI to VGA adapter. I just got a cable of ebay which I was hoping would have been an easy no fuss HDMI to VGA cable but alas it doesn't work. Requesting a refund..

You'll be needing an active DAC to do the digital to analog conversion, I'm using a Tendak from this list.

There are some good suggestions later in the thread about the HD Fury series if you want something a bit more high end but it requires a power supply of sorts.

Hopefully, the Snes mini will get modded for 480p output, I can't stretch the 720p frame enough so that it fills the entire crt screen with just the active area.

Well surely the artist of these game created the sprites with scanlines in mind as they'd know that every other line would be blanked out and design the sprites based on this!?

When you look at the few shots of the development environments out there I don't think they did. If they were then you would see a lot more of the sprite elements doubled up to account for the scan line, which clearly isn't the case if the below photos are anything to go by. Promo or manual shots often showed scan lines as it would just be an employee taking a picture directly from the screen.

SNK

b9yGy05MYECVBIgdSuMgJg.png

owhXIui99kyd7Tc8gIm5KQ.png

SEGA

tumblr_oc2lnb03oi1ulp8mfo4_1280.jpg

sega_pixel_art_digitizer1.jpg

TAITO

tumblr_inline_oq8p3vMTzd1tgxtpe_500.jpg

tumblr_inline_opbz36TccV1tgxtpe_500.jpg

Vespa

Might be a combination of using a vga monitor to create on and then checking on a 15khz monitor.

tumblr_o98xg8iIez1ulp8mfo1_1280.png

tumblr_o98xg8iIez1ulp8mfo3_1280.png

This Trinitron looks almost looks like a consumer set.

tumblr_oc2lnb03oi1ulp8mfo5_1280.jpg

This shot to me looks like there are scanlines although hard to say as I think these are magazine scans of offscreen shots.

piggychan

great pics up there on the graphic artists. One of those screens looks like it's melting from the awesome art.

Populous on the pc-e
YB2UXQP.jpg

Vespa

Great shots, piggychan! Always liked the way Last Bronx did weapon trails.

Is it glitching between the game and menus/loading screens?

piggychan

Great shots, piggychan! Always liked the way Last Bronx did weapon trails.

Is it glitching between the game and menus/loading screens?

mostly flickering during the replays and close ups which just breaks the immersion. Something that has always plagued this port.

piggychan

yup 2x. scanlines are about 31% strength, sampling phase 180 deg (although I couldn't see much difference upon changing this) , There was something else I had to reset but I can't remember what it was but changing it gave the impression that my saturn had jailbars.

EDIT

I'm also using this cable here. Mostly as I have a UK and JPN model saturn therefore one cable to switch between them otherwise I would have just gone with a csync for either pal or ntsc.

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/sega/saturn/sega-saturn-rgb-av-scart-cable-tv-lead-cord-for-sale

Finally got around to upgrading to JP21 RGB for my Super Famicom and of course, very glad i did! The S-Video that I was using before was pretty close in sharpness, but had some bright color flickering that's completely gone through RGB.

It's been fun comparing it with the Classic Mini which i got on the weekend too. I actually don't mind the Mini's slightly blurred CRT filter, but the crispness of RGB is so lovely! My old SFC has a bit of noise in dark areas though, so the Mini is a lot clearer in that regard so it's still a nice way to play.

Next on the retro list will be replacing my original power supply which i think is the cause of the noise, considering it's being held together with electrical tape. It was my wife's from childhood, don't look at me like that!

Peltz

Finally got around to upgrading to JP21 RGB for my Super Famicom and of course, very glad i did! The S-Video that I was using before was pretty close in sharpness, but had some bright color flickering that's completely gone through RGB.

It's been fun comparing it with the Classic Mini which i got on the weekend too. I actually don't mind the Mini's slightly blurred CRT filter, but the crispness of RGB is so lovely! My old SFC has a bit of noise in dark areas though, so the Mini is a lot clearer in that regard so it's still a nice way to play.

Next on the retro list will be replacing my original power supply which i think is the cause of the noise, considering it's being held together with electrical tape. It was my wife's from childhood, don't look at me like that!

Are you using a cheap 3rd party power supply with your SFC? It's likely causing the noise you're seeing. Chances are, the noise will go away with a proper power cable.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Are you using a cheap 3rd party power supply with your SFC? It's likely causing the noise you're seeing. Chances are, the noise will go away with a proper power cable.
THIS extremely important.
my super famicom was having static issues on rgb.
i bought an original super famicom power adapter and bam problems gone.
I can't state this enough don't get those cheap 3rd party power adapters!

No no, when i said original i meant original!
But yeah some point in the last 26 years it must have got damaged and "repaired" by my inlaws:

Yeap, that's bandage tape not electrical tape lol

I've been indecisive for months about what to replace it with. In Japan there's a number of new 3rd party ones from brands that sell modern day accessories too, though you might not have heard of them outside Japan:
Answer, Columbus Circle and A'Class

The Answer one has the most reviews but the few bad ones say it either stopped working or exhibited noise. It also seems to be the oldest, first listed in 2011. The other 2 don't have many reviews but are generally positive. I could probably get an official one again off of Yahoo Auctions, but the age of them and everything on there being labelled "junk" (untested) has kept me away. I did get my N64 power adapter that way and it's been fine. What do you guys reckon?

Peltz

No no, when i said original i meant original!
But yeah some point in the last 26 years it must have got damaged and "repaired" by my inlaws:

Yeap, that's bandage tape not electrical tape lol

I've been indecisive for months about what to replace it with. In Japan there's a number of new 3rd party ones from brands that sell modern day accessories too, though you might not have heard of them outside Japan:
Answer, Columbus Circle and A'Class

The Answer one has the most reviews but the few bad ones say it either stopped working or exhibited noise. It also seems to be the oldest, first listed in 2011. The other 2 don't have many reviews but are generally positive. I could probably get an official one again off of Yahoo Auctions, but the age of them and everything on there being labelled "junk" (untested) has kept me away. I did get my N64 power adapter that way and it's been fine. What do you guys reckon?
I'd get an original one off eBay.

Galdelico

yup 2x. scanlines are about 31% strength, sampling phase 180 deg (although I couldn't see much difference upon changing this) , There was something else I had to reset but I can't remember what it was but changing it gave the impression that my saturn had jailbars.

EDIT

I'm also using this cable here. Mostly as I have a UK and JPN model saturn therefore one cable to switch between them otherwise I would have just gone with a csync for either pal or ntsc.

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/sega/saturn/sega-saturn-rgb-av-scart-cable-tv-lead-cord-for-sale

Thanks!
Yeah, it looks good. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to display scanlines on a 1080p display. I believe they output even and nicely in Line2x and optim. modes, due to scaling not being integer in the other ones.

And no c-sync cable for me either, as I unfortunately found out (indeed thanks to RGC) my Japanese Model 2 Saturn's board isn't compatible. :/

BTails

POWER UP! Great Altered Beast shots.

Altered Beast is a love/hate game.

I love it, but I agree. It seems to be the most decisive game ever brought up in various Retro threads. Something about it just seems to make people post heaps of praise or absolute vitrol every time it gets mentioned.

It's not fantastic but it was a good launch title and makes for a good half hour of play like an arcade game should.

Gamers today demand too much out of gaming. One of the best things lost to the ages are games that you can enjoy for less than an hour, put away and maybe get back to months later.

My mom threw my original copy away because she thought it was Satanic :(
haha my mom used to be like that.

i loved the arcade. everyone did. that tension feeling you get when you miss a power up orb.

bc these games were mostly about timing hits or face the consequences of counter attacks, i didn't like this and Golden Axe translation for genesis bc certain moves were broken and OP for the console versions breaking the difficulty and gameplay.

for example, stage 3 had those bees the run really fast one missed time attack and you're dead. Genesis had a rapid fire crouch punch on power level one that made it infinitely easier w/ no worries of mistimed attacks. especially when power up wolves dash at you full speed, killing the challenge.

Golden Axe is similar where timing attacks are crucial to the challenge and gameplay. the MD/Genny version you can basically spam jump slash rapid fire and kill every boss with ease. the hit box distance is so wide and long there's no challenge.

haha my mom used to be like that.

i loved the arcade. everyone did. that tension feeling you get when you miss a power up orb.

bc these games were mostly about timing hits or face the consequences of counter attacks, i didn't like this and Golden Axe translation for genesis bc certain moves were broken and OP for the console versions breaking the difficulty and gameplay.

for example, stage 3 had those bees the run really fast one missed time attack and you're dead. Genesis had a rapid fire crouch punch on power level one that made it infinitely easier w/ no worries of mistimed attacks. especially when power up wolves dash at you full speed, killing the challenge.

Golden Axe is similar where timing attacks are crucial to the challenge and gameplay. the MD/Genny version you can basically spam jump slash rapid fire and kill every boss with ease. the hit box distance is so wide and long there's no challenge.

I can't say anything about the Altered Beast arcade version but I own the PCB for Golden Axe and I prefer the console version. The AI in the arcade version is programmed to just get in line with your player and then spam attack. It's pretty easy to exploit and the arcade version is much easier. It's been a while since I played it but I'm pretty sure I could 1cc after a few practice rounds because of this.

I can't say anything about the Altered Beast arcade version but I own the PCB for Golden Axe and I prefer the console version. The AI in the arcade version is programmed to just get in line with your player and then spam attack. It's pretty easy to exploit and the arcade version is much easier. It's been a while since I played it but I'm pretty sure I could 1cc after a few practice rounds because of this.
the arcade is much better and harder! genny version is like taking a nap =P

yeah that's awesome you own it.

piggychan

I love the eye during the game attract mode. I was playing the pc engine version the other night but I dislike the 'push up' to jump....

EDIT - Another Sega fighting game featuring a ... bear

Fighting Vipers Jpn Ed.- Sega Saturn / OSSC&RGB

ErbilT

yEZca9Q.jpg

TMNT Genesis hooked up using HD Retrovision Component cables on a JVC D-Series CRT. Need to learn how to take better pictures, but it looks amazing for a consumer set.

great game. I could never seem to get very far in this back in the day

I finished it as a kid somehow, but it was indeed tougher than i remembered! Particularly how he runs up and jumps off of walls can be tricky. I made it to the last boss but died a few times! I nabbed a few N64 games today as well so i stopped to play them instead.

Kawika

Put my Analogue NT up for sale on the buy sell thread and thought it was a waste to not cross post some of my 3x (720p) pictures from my 4K and share them on here.

20171016_215211.jpg

20171016_215529.jpg

MM had to blink at the right time.

Top Bottom