• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scarface Remake Starring Leonardo DiCaprio And Sofia Vergara Announced for 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, Nah.

Both the 30's and the 80's Scarface are stone-cold classics and Pacino's performance is iconic. They're setting themselves up for failure.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I like Leo and Sofia. But this doesnt sound good at all.

Ouch.

Tom Nook

giphy.gif

This 10x.

...Why?

It won't touch the DePalma classic but I'm just so happy Fuqua isn't making this. I haven't seen Jackie but it looks dope so I have a bit more faith with Larrain behind it

I'm mixed on Leo but a role like this would be pretty good for him. I hope he hams it the fuck up like pacino did as Tony.

My first reaction was "oh god no", but Leo doesn't make many bad movies, and Sofia is Sofia, so I'm going to adopt a 'wait and see' attitude to this.

Still think this is fake. Sofia vergara is one of the worst modern actress and Tony Montana is too big a character for Leo. He's made good films but he's never carried a film the way al did for the original. The article must have missed the part where it states it's a comedy.

The movie isn't a very good movie, and has a ton of fuckin problems, but it's been canonized so that's gonna be hard to get around.

However, Pablo Larrain making it with Leonardo DiCaprio should be enough of a "okay, wait a min" to slow people up from the automatic "GRARARARAGHGHGHG" response.

This is more or less the gangster-movie version of being super upset Blade Runner is getting a sequel until you find out it's Villenueve and Gosling.

The question is whether they're hiring DiCaprio to play a Cuban. Because that shouldn't be happening in 2017.

Hmmmm

Pablo Larraín directing means they cared enough to hire a gifted director with an eye for intimate character study.

Leo is the same age Pacino was when he filmed Scarface, and he can throw himself into any role.

The casting of Vergara instead of someone half her age shows a production team that isn't fucking stupid.

This will probably be great, guys.

The question is whether they're hiring DiCaprio to play a Cuban. Because that shouldn't be happening in 2017.

Well they did say it's a rewrite set in LA so he won't be Cuban. He'll be a fair-skinned Mexican. :V

BioHazard

It's probably worth mentioning that the beloved '83 Scarface is also a remake, for those that insist films can't me retold/remade for new generations or times

Still think this is fake. Sofia vergara is one of the worst modern actress and Tony Montana is too big a character for Leo. He's made good films but he's never carried a film the way al did for the original. The article must have missed the part where it states it's a comedy.
Yeah, I felt unsure about making the thread but then people started talking about it seriously on twitter so...

Nategc20

Banned
I swear to god I'd be more interested if Shia lebouf or Wayne Brady or someone wacky like that approached the role of Tony Montana. This is an unnecessary reboot because it's not even a reboot. It could have been another title on the manuscript in every which way.

Ithil

but the brian de palma one was already a remake, right?

It was. I wonder if that guy who got repeatedly furious in the thread for the 2017 Mummy film that people kept mentioning that the 1999 Mummy film was a remake of the 30s film (and not the first remake either) will be in here too, angry that people are aware the 1983 version was not the first.

isn't Sofia Vargara 20 years too old to play Gina Montana?

The Gina character in the in 1981 movie was a 16 year old girl moving on up to 18

Apathy

the 30's original was losely based on al capone, the 80's one that took inspiration from that one has Tony being Cuban, I just hope they come to their minds and change the character from being Cuban to something else if Leo is going to be the star. If they make the character Cuban again, then wtf Hollywood, give the part to a latin man

Wolfe

Before people freak out about this, it's worth pointing out that the Al Pacino version was already a remake of the 1932 original.

Don't get me wrong I know there will always be "remakes" and "reimaginings" and whatnot but I'm just tired of the current trend of pulling popular shit out of the 80's (well any of the last recent decades really) in what feels like an attempt at cashing in on popular nostalgia.

I mean one reason I enjoy shit from the 80's and 90's so much is that a lot of it feels rather original and it's own thing. We need to get these execs back out of Hollywood and get some creative people back in charge imo.

But in the end it's not like I'll lose sleep over it or anything.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Like, it's just a gangster picture with Leo in it, something he's done many times before. What the hell is everyone's problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom