• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCEA registers Forsaken Souls domain

Zoe

Yeah I know, but was just thinking why they would do that.
Might also be because they want Soul Sacrifice to appeal to the souls crowd in NA by giving it a similar sounding name?

Just saying, based on the premise, Forsaken Souls makes a lot more sense than Forsaken Soul.

If they were going to change the name of Soul Sacrifice so soon after that conference, and so soon after posting English videos calling the game "Soul Sacrifice," that begs the question of why they didn't mention that at the time. Seems like they would be asking for confusion. Then again I guess this stuff happens all the time.

Guess we'll find out eventually.

For people thinking this has something to do with the Souls series: why would SCEA be the one to spill the beans on it?

Trying to ride on the recent SOULS games success by name association?

Ask any random nerd on the street what company made dark Souls, and they will tell you Atlus.

SCEA passed on Demon's Souls in the first place, so it's not like their head has ever been in the right place regarding the franchise. :p

But nobody knew Demon's would become such a cult hit. Even all the pre-release showings were seen as crap. If Sony published a new Souls game, I really doubt SCEA would pass.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Can't imagine it being Soul Sacrifice. Taking "Sacrifice" out of the title would seem odd, seeing as the game is all about sacrificing.

Forsaking something means giving up or relinquishing something too, so I think it can fit with the theme.

Forsaking something means giving up or relinquishing something too, so I think it can fit with the theme.

It also has connotations of being forgotten or abandoned, too, though - in Soul Sacrifice, you are giving up people for a very specific and presumably important purpose. The only "forsaken" things in the game from what I can tell would be the monsters themselves, especially if you do choose to sacrifice them after beating them.

Arxisz

SCEA: We should’ve published Demon’s Souls

They admitted they were wrong.

I have a feeling we'll see an E3 reveal of a Souls game of some sort....believe....

I'd like to see From Software's reaction on the sidelines if they did that :p
I know Sony owns the ip, but if the game turns out similar to From's game,
They'll definitely be like -________-;

Sony could easily do a similar game if they wanted, since From used Sony's own Phyre engine for both souls games.

Orayn

I want it to be a Sony clone of Souls because I'd love to see someone else's take on the series.

Then again, I don't want it to be that because I might be forced to buy a Vita, which I can't afford right now.

Mxrz

Internally developed sequel to Demon's Souls? They still own the IP!

/jokepost

I'll take it!

SOULS OF DUTY: DEMONFIGHTER
I'll take this too!

Probably a name change, but that is still a little odd after the videos and stuff calling it Soul Sacrifice. Seems like dropping the important word there would give them pause. - It is interesting to think Sony would do something with an IP that sold so well for them. Vita could desperately use it, especially if Ruin turns out to be a bust. But a simple Demon's Souls 2 would probably do well for them. From is confusing lately, so who knows if they're available. Wouldn't mind seeing SCEJ try their hand at it. But I'd really want/expect much better level design in any game carrying on the Demon's Souls title.

Dambrosi

Banned
If it is a pseudo-sequel to Demon's Souls:

1) Please, Gods both old and new, not on Vita or any other portable. Souls is big boys' big TV gaming. Needs atmosphere to work; portables can't do atmosphere. Plus, you just know Sony would shoehorn some rear touchscreen/tilt/AR bullshit into it, and Souls don't wear that.

2) Come on, dudes, can't you call it Damned Souls instead?

1) Please, Gods both old and new, not on Vita or any other portable. Souls is big boys' big TV gaming. Needs atmosphere to work; portables can't do atmosphere.

Shadows of the Damned Souls

SteeloDMZ

Banned

1) Please, Gods both old and new, not on Vita or any other portable. Souls is big boys' big TV gaming. Needs atmosphere to work; portables can't do atmosphere.

Portables can't do atmosphere?

Lulz.

sony internally developed souls game sounds like garbage.

will i be able upload screenshots and trophy-gets to my facebook page? will it have a Home hub? can i cross-play with the vita version?

Madridy

If it is indeed a Demon's Souls sequel, I don't know why would the drop the 'Demon's' part of the name. Since it is their own IP and not like Dark Souls situation so they can just put a 2 at the end. Especially considering all the good reception and huge fan-base that name garnered.

Anyway I'll continue buying 'Souls' games day one until my Soul can no more be mended! :p

I think everyone is not paying attention to the elephant in the room.

where does FROM SOFTWARE ( the ones who are the creative developers of the SOUL series and basically are the driving force for the atmosphere/gameplay/EVERYTHANG) fit into all this.

Sony making a semi-sequel (even though dark souls is an aspect of it) might not rub FROM the right way. and as we all know, Sony is in no position to be making enemies at this point in time.

BibiMaghoo

I think everyone is not paying attention to the elephant in the room.

where does FROM SOFTWARE ( the ones who are the creative developers of the SOUL series and basically are the driving force for the atmosphere/gameplay/EVERYTHANG) fit into all this.

Sony making a semi-sequel (even though dark souls is an aspect of it) might not rub FROM the right way. and as we all know, Sony is in no position to be making enemies at this point in time.

Sony have no qualsm with passing IP's to different devs....
When they are for portable consoles. If FROM are not involved, and it is a 'Souls' game. Then Vita it is. :(

Slime

Banned
Probably just the localized name for Soul Sacrifice, which is unfortunate because it already had a nice ring to it made for a decent logo.

Still, I wouldn't mind it being an internally developed Demon's Souls sequel, even if that post was a joke. From probably isn't going to do anything with the IP, so maybe Sony doing their own thing with it wouldn't hurt. Never hurts to have more exclusives, and they're really lacking in the RPG department.

XfMYX.jpg

"Mooorreeeee...... More SOOOUUUUULLLSSSSSSSS"

Top Bottom