• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCEJ may be planning PS4 event before TGS

Isn't that a bit...late to really build consumer confidence though? Won't this year's TGS be only a few weeks before the system launches? They're not going to be able to announce entirely new launch games that close to the system's release date unless they're downloadable titles...

If it launches in japan at all this year. Starting to think they may get january 2014 launch

Samyy

New IP JRPG, can't ride Square for favours anymore.
Quite frankly Legends of Dragoon 2 doesn't make sense, if they do it it should be a reboot.

i want to see what some of the japanese developers have been working on for ps4 indie or not. and I can't wait to have cerny up on stage speaking japanese and talk about the ps4. you know it's going to happen. he did it for the latin american event even though he was speaking english.

sublimit

Banned
Good for them if it happens.

But i just can't get hyped for them anymore before a conference/show.The blow of not seeing The Last Guardian in this E3 was too strong for me.

Issun23

Isn't that a bit...late to really build consumer confidence though? Won't this year's TGS be only a few weeks before the system launches? They're not going to be able to announce entirely new launch games that close to the system's release date unless they're downloadable titles...

Oh, I didn't say it makes sense - I just wrote down what he actually said in the interview. The thread title and OP might be a bit misleading to suggest the interview mentions game announcements when it's telling a different story.

Also the public events hinted are not given a date. They may come before TGS. By the way as far as I know Japan was not given a release date for PS4 - it may come next year, which may give a little bit more space between TGS announcements and the actual console release.

fvng

Content wise, yes.

I think the whole "mandatory remote play" feature is a big push for the Japanese market though. It's basically Sony acknowledging handheld dominance in that region, and saying this is their way of approaching it.

Will be interesting to see if it works or not.

Not sure about that. Yes Japan is a commuter culture but I very much doubt you'll get amazing latency free remote play gameplay on a GSM Vita. Customers will most likely be using remote play at home rather than during public transportation.

The mandated policy has more to do with guaranteeing more vita sales and to disarm the only technological advantage the WiiU has.

Westlo

It will have Japanese launch games... since it won't launch this year in Japan.

If it launches in japan at all this year. Starting to think they may get january 2014 launch

Well, Sony also needs more content to sell the system at its US launch - I'm not even worried about Japan yet.

Nobody's going to pay $400 for a console to play Killzone, even if it is cheaper than the competition. Right now, Sony's done a great job of telling people why they shouldn't buy an Xbone...but they don't have much compelling launch content that will actually put their console in people's living rooms. If they did an event before (early September, maybe), they'd have one last chance to announce meaningful launch content for the system's US/EU release.

Then once they've done that they'll be able to hit the ground running with announcements for Japan. But if the console stumbles and faceplants at the starting line in the US, Japan won't be able to save them.

Varg

Banned
Now that PS4 is region free, I do hope games come with at least some sort of English subtitles. I would love to experience a lot of these fantastic games Japan get to.

Issun23

Now that PS4 is region free, I do hope games come with at least some sort of English subtitles. I would love to experience a lot of these fantastic games Japan get to.

PS3 was region free. There weren't any games with subtitles though.

fvng

PS3 was region free, that didn't happen

fertygo

ZQjXqZJ.gif

PS4 all or nothing.

P4 out on PS2 last good year or something

fvng

Wasn't that the Asian version though? The Japanese version was in Japanese.

This is right. "Asian" editions usually have English subtitles. Don't think every Japanese game gets an "Asian" release as weird as that sounds

Don't play with my heart mang. But it could happen, right... right?

That developer shut down, who should take the reins?

Well, Sony also needs more content to sell the system at its US launch - I'm not even worried about Japan yet.

Nobody's going to pay $400 for a console to play Killzone, even if it is cheaper than the competition. Right now, Sony's done a great job of telling people why they shouldn't buy an Xbone...but they don't have much compelling launch content that will actually put their console in people's living rooms. If they did an event before (early September, maybe), they'd have one last chance to announce meaningful launch content for the system's US/EU release.

Then once they've done that they'll be able to hit the ground running with announcements for Japan. But if the console stumbles and faceplants at the starting line in the US, Japan won't be able to save them.

100 dollars cheaper to play next gen versions of assassin's creed, battlefield and call of dudu is what will propel the ps4 at launch

Persona86

Banned
Ooooh yeah Japanese focused games I guess. Maybe some more footage of Versus...and maybe...The Last guardian?.....nah.

Persona?...nah probably PS3.

Hmmm still exciting..

Verendus

Banned
Legend of dragoon 2. Make it happen Sony, you need a JRPG on PS4 to beat the crap out of Final Fantasy.

Believe.
They're making plans for a new IP to be exactly that. Essentially, it'll be an imitation of the FF style, but it's early stages at the moment. So, you'll be waiting a while before you hear anything. Team needs to be built etc.

Wasn't that the Asian version though? The Japanese version was in Japanese.

Correct. Still, it came out at the same time as the Japanese version - in fact, if memory serves, all the voice acting in the Japanese version was in English anyways.

100 dollars cheaper to play next gen versions of assassin's creed, battlefield and call of dudu is what will propel the ps4 at launch

Yeah, we'll see about that. I really don't think "it's exactly like this game you can buy on the system you already have, but slightly prettier" is going to sell consoles. The PS4 needs exclusive games you can't get anywhere else or it's not going to sell, cheaper or not.

The Xbone has the same problem. Almost every launch title for both systems is cross-gen, and their launch exclusives are anemic at best. There's nothing for either system saying "I HAVE to get this thing".

Evilisk

The developer (Game Republic) went out of business. :(

It's still possible though:

"There were a lot of things I wanted to accomplish [at Game Republic]," Okamoto says, including a sequel to PlayStation 3 game Folklore, "But I need a sponsor to create those games."

SOURCE: http://www.polygon.com/gaming/2012/...-yoshiki-okamoto-retired-console-games-mobile

Officially, he says, the company still exists, though basically just on paper — he's keeping it afloat because he hopes to repay the debt at some point. He's the only employee and he's no longer working under the company name, describing it as "frozen" and in "sleep mode."

SOURCE: http://www.polygon.com/features/2013/5/30/4334088/yoshiki-okamoto-and-the-fall-of-game-republic

Also most of the Games Republic employees moved over to Tango Gameworks. Sony could fund a collaboration between SCEJ and Tango Gameworks + Okamoto. It's probably a lot harder than I'm making it out to be but it's still possible.

Markadias

Banned
Any of these would do nicely (all in a perfect world)

Demons Souls 2
Demons Souls Vita
Persona 5
Legend Of Dragoon 2
Gravity Rush 2
The Last Guardian news?

Also some Vita localisations would be nice...
Phantasy Star Online 2, Final Fantasy Type-0 HD preferably. Some other JRPG love would be awesome.

fertygo

They're making plans for a new IP to be exactly that. Essentially, it'll be an imitation of the FF style, but it's early stages at the moment. So, you'll be waiting a while before you hear anything. Team needs to be built etc.

Aw yiss, GAF insider has spoken.

yakuza 6, a dynasty warriors game, some gundam game and maybe demon souls 2 is what i would expect at best.

persona 5? lawl, not after index was outed as a bunch of criminals.

Top Bottom