• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sci-fi Adventure forma.8 Coming to PC, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Mac, Linux, and iOS

Loudninja

Trailer:
Annoucement Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWcBdhBtLPQ

Apparantly the game is also coming to WiiU, iOS, PC, Mac and Linux.

Hi PlayStation.Blog! Italian indie studio MixedBag here again. Last Tuesday, we announced our crazy shoot ‘em up Futuridium EP Deluxe, coming exclusively to PS Vita. Today, we’re here to bring you more PlayStation love.

Our big project – the one we opened MixedBag for – is a game we always wanted to make. We’re immensely proud (drumroll) to announce forma.8, coming to PS4 and PS Vita.

forma.8 is an action adventure game and our own personal take on the classic Metroidvania formula. We started working on forma.8 more than two years ago, beginning with a little gameplay concept centered on an experimental control system for touch devices. It evolved into an adventure of epic proportions.

In the distant future, a small exploration probe, forma.8, is stranded alone on the surface of an alien planet. It was parted from its companions by chance, and has a life or death mission to accomplish: it must find and recover a powerful energy source deep under the surface before it’s too late. Ancient civilizations, great perils, and dystopian visions await it, and not everything is as it seems.
As you can see for forma.8, we opted to use a peculiar visual style. We used hand-drawn vector graphics mixed with 3D elements, and we rendered everything at the highest resolution possible, with a massive amount of antialiasing to get a very clean and crisp look. The results? You don’t see pixels, only smooth lines, and the game looks gorgeous on the PS Vita screen as well as on a big TV rendered in 1080p. And it runs at 60 frames per second, obviously.
So a little recap:
  • an expansive world
  • everything is physics based
  • exploration
  • puzzles
  • secrets to uncover
  • an intriguing and mysterious story
  • lots of enemies
  • lots of BIG enemies
  • some even BIGGER enemies
  • …and all the power-ups you need to take care of them and to avoid all the nasty stuff you’ll face on a remote, alien planet
  • 60 frames per second of superfluid action
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014...-forma-8-coming-to-ps4-and-ps-vita/#sf1996573

fred

Looks like indies have abandoned the Xbox One.

Makes you wonder how things will be looking for the One in a couple of years with regards to publishers if sales don't pick up. People have been jumping on the Nintendoomed bandwagon but haven't noticed how badly the Xbox One has been doing in comparison. It won't be long before the PS4 and Wii U have twice the installed userbase compared to the One.

Titanfall should give the console a good boost but the the Wii U has Mario Kart 8 and the PS4 has Infamous so I can't see the gap between the One and the other two consoles closing that much. :eek:/

maxcriden

630x.jpg

Ooh, looks awesome!

It's yet more welcome news for the home console's download store, with the developer reserving special praise for Unity, Nintendo and Sony for their support. Over two years in the making, forma.8 gives its take on that good-old Metroidvania setup, as you control an exploration probe that becomes lost on an alien planet. You start with no powers, and this title aims to use the environments and sound to carry the narrative.

Floating gracefully in mid air, with a control system that aims to give the player a true sense of flying, our little hero forma.8 starts with no powers, no weapons and no hints of what to do and where to go: it’s up to the player to explore the planet, deal with its often hostile inhabitants, and slowly uncover the story.
 There’s no verbal communication in the game, everything is conveyed to the player only with images and sounds.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/02/mixedbag_confirms_forma8_for_the_wii_u_eshop

Also, more screens at the official site:

http://www.forma8.net/

Looks like indies have abandoned the Xbox One.

Makes you wonder how things will be looking for the One in a couple of years with regards to publishers if sales don't pick up. People have been jumping on the Nintendoomed bandwagon but haven't noticed how badly the Xbox One has been doing in comparison. It won't be long before the PS4 and Wii U have twice the installed userbase compared to the One.

Titanfall should give the console a good boost but the the Wii U has Mario Kart 8 and the PS4 has Infamous so I can't see the gap between the One and the other two consoles closing that much. :eek:/

Really? I mean.... really?

Mondy

Banned
MMmmmmm I dunno about this one. It certainly screams Guacamelee in visual style but those floating orb controls look like they would be finicky as fuck.

The idea sounds pretty cool. The gameplay doesn't look all that special to me, but it could be pretty fun.

why no xbox versions if the game is even coming to linux and mac? seems odd.
The launch day parity requirement kind of sucks to many indies I guess. But dunno really.

wouwie

After Futuridium, this is the 2nd game from MixedBag that looks interesting, fresh and promising. Definately an exciting new developer that i will follow in the future. Count me in for a copy of this and Futuridium on day one.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I'm assuming the title is supposed to be a play on 'formate', which if so wouldn't 'Form8' make more sense them 'Forma8'?

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
It reminds me a little of Knytt Underground... So i'll buy it!
It's even made in Italy, so i have to support it!

Jachaos

I don't know about this one, but I know there's at least one indie developper that is simply waiting for Microsoft to send them the Devkits they've asked to start work on an Xbox One version. Their programmers are there working on other stuff in the meantime. Microsoft might have recently made more efforts for indies but all is still not well and they have some catching up to do to Sony and Nintendo (who would've thought, a few years ago)

fred

Really? I mean.... really?

Not that insane. The Xbox One is selling poorly, particularly in Europe. Microsoft need to do something sooner rather than later. Not quite in as bad situation that the Wii U was in this time last year but it isn't miles away either. And there's hardly any talk about it in the gaming media either.

The PS4 is flying off shelves and has been since launch. And now it's flying off shelves in Japan too. VGC have the PS4 at 5.8m, the Wii U at 5.8m and the One at 3.5m (and if you're going to complain about the accuracy of those figures please post more accurate ones from another source rather than moaning about the figures being wrong).

The One is failing hard in Europe and is only available in Europe and the States whereas the PS4 and Wii U are both available in all territories. Mario Kart 8 will shift more Wii U units than Titanfall, considerably more.

I can't believe that the gaming media has been silent about this for so long. The Xbox One could be in trouble if sales don't pick up this year.

Furyous

Not that insane. The Xbox One is selling poorly, particularly in Europe. Microsoft need to do something sooner rather than later. Not quite in as bad situation that the Wii U was in this time last year but it isn't miles away either. And there's hardly any talk about it in the gaming media either.

The PS4 is flying off shelves and has been since launch. And now it's flying off shelves in Japan too. VGC have the PS4 at 5.8m, the Wii U at 5.8m and the One at 3.5m (and if you're going to complain about the accuracy of those figures please post more accurate ones from another source rather than moaning about the figures being wrong).

The One is failing hard in Europe and is only available in Europe and the States whereas the PS4 and Wii U are both available in all territories. Mario Kart 8 will shift more Wii U units than Titanfall, considerably more.

I can't believe that the gaming media has been silent about this for so long. The Xbox One could be in trouble if sales don't pick up this year.

Xbox sales will pick up this year. However, you raise an interesting point. What does Microsoft do if Titanfall isn't the savior? What would Microsoft have to do to win customers back?

*EDIT* iOS gaming is having a great month. This game is a day one purchase.

Referencing da chartz is significantly frowned upon here. You'd be better to pull stats out of your ass. And the PS4 is not "flying off shelves" in Japan. The home console market has weakened in that territory.

Weng

The setting & gameplay combined with the soundtrack (OMG) makes this a day one for my Wii U.

And I hope they'll port Futuridium to Wii U as well.

Skyrise

Hi everyone!

I'm one of the two developers of the game, we are also doing Futuridium EP Deluxe for PSVita and there's a thread here over NeoGAF about it.

After today's announcement I'm totally destroyed, but tomorrow I'll be here replying to questions and so on! I promise! Feel free to ask!

Also: I'll post some 60fps GIF for NeoGAF fun!
The trailer sadly is at 30fps on YouTube, it's a lot better at full 60 frames per seconds.

Hope you'll enjoy the game as much as we are enjoying doing it!

Shin-Ra

As you can see for forma.8, we opted to use a peculiar visual style. We used hand-drawn vector graphics mixed with 3D elements, and we rendered everything at the highest resolution possible, with a massive amount of antialiasing to get a very clean and crisp look. The results? You don’t see pixels, only smooth lines, and the game looks gorgeous on the PS Vita screen as well as on a big TV rendered in 1080p. And it runs at 60 frames per second, obviously.
Love the style, but I think it could look much cleaner still.

All the fixed-shape terrain in PixelJunk Shooter 1, 2 and Sidescroller on PS3 looked supersampled-smooth, just the fluid edges suffered from aliasing.
ibj0xlE5I0uZ4O.png

The CRT-glow effect's helping a little bit here
ifJuAJ1Xt9NFv.png

edit: N++ seems to have it sorted, you can tell from the pixel-sharp horizontal and vertical lines it wasn't just downscaled after capture.

Top Bottom