• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scorn: First person Giger-esque horror (Part 1 coming 2017, PC)

Krejlooc

Banned
Confirmation that this is not a VR-only game; VR may be added as a stretch goal.

oLWzZ8o.png

I never said this was VR only. I said this was being consciously designed for VR, which it is. There are numerous design decisions that drive VR games that aren't normally considered in conventional games. You can play a game designed for VR on a normal monitor, but the experience won't be quite the same. You really can't play a game not taking VR into consideration in VR. Simply slapping VR support into a game makes for a horrible experience.

Everything they're showing and saying, and given this title's genesis, indicates this is an experience created for VR. The described "unique features" are the common practices that have emerged in VR design. That feature set is purposeful. This is following the same mold as other tailored-for-VR games as Technolust and Loading Human.

You misunderstood the distinction and sent the guy a loaded question.

Seanspeed

Banned
I never said this was VR only. I said this was being consciously designed for VR, which it is. There are numerous design decisions that drive VR games that aren't normally considered in conventional games. You can play a game designed for VR on a normal monitor, but the experience won't be quite the same. You really can't play a game not taking VR into consideration in VR. Simply slapping VR support into a game makes for a horrible experience.

Everything they're showing and saying, and given this title's genesis, indicates this is an experience created for VR. The described "unique features" are the common practices that have emerged in VR design. That feature set is purposeful. This is following the same mold as other tailored-for-VR games as Technolust and Loading Human.

Yea, I don't think a lot of people really understand that putting a VR mode in after-the-fact is not how you do VR support(excluding certain genres that are inherently suited to VR already like racing sims).

Krejlooc

Banned
Yea, I don't think a lot of people really understand that putting a VR mode in after-the-fact is not how you do VR support(excluding certain genres that are inherently suited to VR already like racing sims).

I also get that people don't hang out in oculus forums all day so they probably don't see a good 90% of the VR content that comes out every week... but this is an archetypal VR game. This isn't really like most other games, the focus of this game is basically going to another place and experiencing it. Hence the no plot business. There are so many VR demos that follow this mold.

This game is following a pretty distinct pattern if you're paying attention to VR development.

Gruso

Mate, it's a bit simpler than that. You implied that I had left critical information out of the OP:

Really? No mention that this is a game designed explicitly for VR in the OP? It's not a normal game, it's meant to be played in VR with a positionally tracked system, either PrioVR or Sixense STEM.

So I checked with the devs to make sure I hadn't. And it turned out I hadn't:

Ebb said:
Initial goal is for the standard monitor game.

The end. Please stop.

Seanspeed

Banned
Mate, it's a bit simpler than that. You implied that I had left critical information out of the OP:

So I checked with the devs to make sure I hadn't. And it turned out I hadn't:

The end. Please stop.
Its still worth mentioning that VR is still a part of the project.

Is being technically correct more important than being informative?

Jac_Solar

Is 200.000 Euro enough for such a title? If I remember correctly, a single level in a 2D Kickstarter game cost like 150-200.000 US dollars with an established engine and gameworld.

Seanspeed

Banned
Is 200.000 Euro enough for such a title? If I remember correctly, a single level in a 2D Kickstarter game cost like 150-200.000 US dollars with an established engine and gameworld.
They have some private backing, but they say not nearly enough. Full budget will be around 700,000 Euro. 200,000 Euro here is just for Episode 1 and to help bring on some more hirings.

I'm half surprised that Sony hasn't picked this up for Morpheus. Seems like they could fund the whole game for a comparatively small amount and have a pretty impressive and distinct VR release on their hands.

I like this look of this, but cannot contribute right now as I'm very overdrawn this month. But I hope it succeeds.

Gruso

There's nothing inaccurate about saying that VR is still a part of this project. :/

I think you're just being stubborn now.
Dude I never refused to add a mention of VR to the OP. It is of course little more than a stretch goal now, and is covered on the KS page. But I've added it to the OP.

All this drama. I just wanted to make sure I didn't screw up the OP entirely, because Krejlooc made me think that I had.

Jac_Solar

They have some private backing, but they say not nearly enough. Full budget will be around 700,000 Euro. 200,000 Euro here is just for Episode 1 and to help bring on some more hirings.

Oh, that makes more sense.

In any case, I hope it's not too abstract and weird, like Zeno Clash, which this sort of reminds me of. While that type of universe is interesting in terms of art, it's not really interesting or even enjoyable in terms of storytelling, since its abstract nature makes it hard to relate, and in turn, form any kind of emotional attachments and such. I think that's even more important for a horror game -- as in, weird shouldn't be normal from your characters point of view. They need to use normal, human, earth standards for what's supposed to be weird and normal; like, the world is just as alien from the main characters point of view as it is to you.

A Lovecraftian type of storytelling and world building would probably be awesome with this type of design.

Mdk7

Seanspeed

Banned
Dude I never refused to add a mention of VR to the OP. It is of course little more than a stretch goal now, and is covered on the KS page. But I've added it to the OP.

All this drama. I just wanted to make sure I didn't screw up the OP entirely, because Krejlooc made me think that I had.
Wasn't trying to be dramatic about it. Just felt that mentioning the VR aspect of this is kind of important to some of us. I know a lot of people don't care about VR much(yet!), but there's people out there who will be more likely to support this if VR implementation might be on the cards.

Nachtmaer

I was wondering when more info would show up. They seem to have nailed down that Giger meets Beksinski style. I'll be looking forward to future updates.

-SD-

Banned
This game looks fantastic!

Also, quite unique compared to others in the genre.

Really hope this gets a lot of coverage in the gaming press and gets funded.

Mdk7

This game looks fantastic!

Also, quite unique compared to others in the genre.

Really hope this gets a lot of coverage in the gaming press and gets funded.

Too bad the Kickstarter is really struggling, it needs a lot more exposition.
Let's do something guys, i really really want to play it! :/

Dang, it looks really cool, but my main/only gaming platform is XB1; I'm not going to support the game if I'm not going to be able to play it.

I hope it does well though.

Castef

Banned
Too bad the Kickstarter is really struggling, it needs a lot more exposition.
Let's do something guys, i really really want to play it! :/

As long as it may sound stupid, they should add more payment options. I know that Amazon and Paypal take their share, yet for some people they are becoming just like Steam: they won't fund a game if there isn't one of these options.

Also, add Xbox One as a platform.

In addition: lower the base price of the game to 10$. People reads that "Episode 1" and imagine spending 15$ dollars on something with a length of 2/3 hours.

Overall, the project has NOT been presented in a very smart way. :(

I will probably end up backing but lately I have a real beef with episodic games,and a Kickstarter for just episode one is a bit worrisome.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'll be contributing when I have money at the end of the month, hope it goes through, still 30 days to go but still a long way to go.

Guile

Banned
Looks really good, am always vouching for new ambitious projects like these. A fresh breath of air between all the Call of Duty's, Battlefields and other mindless shooters.

Hopefully these guys will get enough support and I'm secretly hoping for a PS4/XONE release aswell.

Mdk7

I had an interview with the game director, i'll be posting it here tomorrow. :)
I still can't understand why major gaming outlets are not giving visibility to a project like this, it's complete non-sense to me.

Top Bottom