• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scorn - Reviews Thread

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Why is he fisting himself?

Pulling out that sausage

835914.jpg

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I do wonder and I posted this elsewhere, whether people give up on games too easily because they tried them on GamePass and didn't have to spend money on them outside of the subscription cost that they've already paid.
Might be the case.

I tried Watch Dogs 2 and dropped it after 45 minutes, not to be seen ever again.

I didn't feel I had to complete a bad game because I didn't pay for it.
I just jump to the next game.

Varteras

Gold Member
A decent attempt and about what I expected. Sadly, this will just end up as more ammo in the arguments since it didn't score high

Topher

Gold Member
I don't think I've ever seen a game with review scores that literally range from 1 to 10.
I disagree because this is pretty good example of a situation where Gamepass is a major positive versus traditional distribution in terms of it being worth the user's time and money.

This is a short, single-player only game with limited replayability but has high production-values and artistic virtues. Its an archetypal "once and done" experience, especially as it doesn't offer much in terms of what is traditionally considered "fun" in a video-game.

That's all fine, but that is your own personal assessment of value. You didn't need a review to make that assessment for you. For those potentially buying the game on Steam, your assessment doesn't apply. The same is true for every review that caters its opinion in favor of Game Pass. No, games should be reviewed as a game. Let everyone else figure out value on their own, just as you have done.

Last edited:
Here is ours if you don't mind adding it to the list. adamsapple adamsapple

10/10

Final Words -

"There is really not much to complain when it comes to Scorn. My only real gripe is that the adventure is over a bit too soon. If you are decent at solving puzzles and good at figuring stuff out quickly then you can get through this horror of a journey in roughly four to six hours with five most likely being the average length that it would take to beat the game. However, what you are going to experience in these four to six hour is nothing but pure quality, out of this world atmosphere, a ton of disturbing and gross moments and most importantly just a fantastic experience overall. If you are into games that is filled with exploration, discovery, cleverness, patience, immersion and a lot of jaw-dropping moments then Scorn will be right up your alley. To sum it up, I need a sequel as soon as possible.

Although, I must be transparent here that Scorn is not for everyone. If you are not into getting your brain teased or you do not like getting easily lost and you find the lack of a radar map frustrating then this game might not be up your alley It's also worth mentioning that the pacing is quite slow, and if you are looking for more of an action horror-survival title then this game is 100% not for you and I suggest you look elsewhere. I however, love a variety of horror games and as long as the game is well designed in what its trying to accomplish then I am all for it.

I personally fell in love with this game from the beginning and all the way to the end. I think its designed very well and you could tell it was beautifully hand-crafted with lots of labor of love and soul in terms of its art, audio, level design and gameplay systems. Scorn was designed with a clear goal in mind - which was to create a believable, disturbing but yet interesting and horrific world with clever puzzle mechanics and unique ideas that is being begged to be explored and it sure has achieved the primary objective. With that being said Scorn will be receiving a final verdict of a masterpiece that is 10 out of 10. Kepler Interactive thank you for supporting Ebb Software on their journey in creating this magnificent experience for the horror fans, now please tell them to go back to work and make a sequel after they are done celebrating."

SCB3

I'm about hour in and already lost, this game also seems to not know what it is, is there combat? The controls suggest yes but fuck if I cannot solve the first puzzles or even if I can do it yet?

Tiamat2san

I will play this weekend .
Seems to be my kind of atmosphere.
I just hope it’s not too frustrating, a lot of reviews are talking about punitive checkpoints.

Reactions: Isa

Bragr

Banned
They are saying the puzzles are terrible because they are most likely too stupid too figure them out. I enjoyed the puzzles. I didn't have any problems lol.

Follow your heart, play the game and make your own judgement.
My heart belongs to the average Metacritic score.

SCB3

They are saying the puzzles are terrible because they are most likely too stupid too figure them out. I enjoyed the puzzles. I didn't have any problems lol.

Follow your heart, play the game and make your own judgement.
I gave it a good solid 2 or hours, its not for me, even the Atmosphere imo is not that worth it

I gave it a good solid 2 or hours, its not for me, even the Atmosphere imo is not that worth it
Fair enough. As we said in our review it's not a game for everyone. I just can't stand it when people complain in such a way when they didn't even give it a shot or just want to be part of the cool kids club. (NO, not talking about you specifically)

Attack of the Fanboy 10/10

PC Gamer - 8/10

GamingNexus - 9/10

Eurogamer - Unbadged (3/5)

Guardian - 4/5

Xboxera - 4/10

Twinfinite - 4/5

Gamespot - 4/10

PressStart - 7.5/10

Gamerant - 1/5

PCgamer - 8/10

Gaming Instinct - 10/10

Metacritic:

Currently: 73

Opencritic:

Currently: 71

Do developers post on this site like on era? If so can you let them know the series x would be perfect for uncapped vrr support (I highly suspect it would average in the 80-90s uncapped)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Do developers post on this site like on era? If so can you let them know the series x would be perfect for uncapped vrr support (I highly suspect it would average in the 80-90s uncapped)

I guess twitter would be the easiest way to reach out to them.

SCB3

Fair enough. As we said in our review it's not a game for everyone. I just can't stand it when people complain in such a way when they didn't even give it a shot or just want to be part of the cool kids club. (NO, not talking about you specifically)
Yea, I mean don’t get me wrong it looks fantastic and the puzzles were tough but I just wasn’t feeling it, I may give it another look at some point

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
All ridiculous. None of that means anything.

I wouldn’t say it’s ridiculous.

Developers have given us reasons over the years not to trust them. Release day review embargoes make me a little suspicious.

I think it’s generally done to avoid losing preorders, because there’s some aspect they’re afraid players won’t like.

In the case of Scorn, reviews absolutely put me off a purchase.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
5 hour long game I can play on gamepass or watch a streamer do in one sitting.

Seems like a win in my busy life book.

NinjaBoiX

I’m conflicted, it does have an intriguing and fairly unique (in terms of games anyway) visual style.

But it also looks really quite dull and tedious, I can see myself getting bored of it well before the credits roll. It looks like a fairly solid game, but definitely an acquired taste.

Eh, it’s on gamepass so I’ll give it a whirl, but I can absolutely see it sitting firmly in the “appreciate more than enjoy” category.

I’m conflicted, it does have an intriguing and fairly unique (in terms of games anyway) visual style.

But it also looks really quite dull and tedious, I can see myself getting bored of it well before the credits roll. It looks like a fairly solid game, but definitely an acquired taste.

Eh, it’s on gamepass so I’ll give it a whirl, but I can absolutely see it sitting firmly in the “appreciate more than enjoy” category.
I think you'll enjoy the atmosphere and learn to appreciate it. Scorn is more of an experience. To be quite frank though, I think it would have been better received if it was a dedicated VR title from the ground up.

Otherwise, we run into a situation where you either love it or hate it similar to how Death Stranding was just as polarizing.

Last edited:

NinjaBoiX

I think you'll enjoy the atmosphere and learn to appreciate it. Scorn is more of an experience. To be quite frank though, I think it would have been better received if it was a dedicated VR title from the ground up.

Otherwise, we run into a situation where you either love it or hate it similar to how Death Stranding was just as polarizing.
Yeah, I’ll definitely give it a whirl.

But I have the attention span of a 5 year old with any kind of media these days, those just so much content to work through that if I’m not entertained within an hour or so I’ll just move on.

Life’s too short and all that!

But I’ll definitely give it a try, why not eh?

People are so starved for good exclusive xbox only content that they are forcing themselves to play this trash. Reminds me of when the medium 1st came out and people forced themselves through that trash too.
Now that The Medium is coming to PS+ Extra, I was going to play it some just to find out how full of shit people were back then.

Top Bottom