• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scorpio.

Should statham be allowed to return to NeoGAF after his grandstanding account suicide in 2017?

• Yes

Votes: 63 34.1%
  • No

Votes: 49 26.5%
  • If he begs

Votes: 73 39.5%

• Total voters

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I got swept up and left during Era's launch. I still browsed GAF and posted from time to time, but the majority of my time was spent on Era until I was permanently banned.

Now granted I went to Era without making a scene, but should I have not been allowed back?
You still posted on GAF? That already differentiates you from the people I am talking about.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
But this guy came back under an alt...ULTIMATELY it is up to THE MODS to enforce rules.
In terms of historical precedent, there have been a number of posters who got banned, came back under an alt, proved that they changed for the better, and were allowed to stay.

highrider

Banned
On the one hand, anyone that does an account suicide in some dramatic way is kind of like 🙄 yet I like to think everyone can have redeeming qualities, and I vaguely remember him when I lurked more. Like I would probably be inclined to let former members back unless they were particularly personal or cruel/crazy and just have the mods release posting surveillance drones on them.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
CtqoMH3VYAAtsRf.jpg
In my mind this is what you posted before you edited this out!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I got swept up and left during Era's launch. I still browsed GAF and posted from time to time, but the majority of my time was spent on Era until I was permanently banned.

Now granted I went to Era without making a scene, but should I have not been allowed back?

Same, although I never stopped visiting or posting on GAF (pinned tab on Chrome) and really started spending more time here in 2019 even before I got perm'd on Era.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Same, although I never stopped visiting or posting on GAF (pinned tab on Chrome) and really started spending more time here in 2019 even before I got perm'd on Era.
So then, you understand there is a difference between you and the type that sperged out, followed the sheep to REEE and have a last post date of October 2017 (until they get perm’d over there and slink back here)?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So then, you understand there is a difference between you and the type that sperged out, followed the sheep to REEE and have a last post date of October 2017 (until they get perm’d over there and slink back here)?

Sure, there's a difference. I was always skeptical of the claims against Evilore, or at least the eagerness people had at condemning him with no evidence, so I kept posting here. Sill, I am still in favor of giving people another chance when presented with the choice. You could probably dig through my post history and find some stupid shit even from just a few years ago that I probably wouldn't agree with today. I know I've changed a good deal and I imagine many others have as well, but of course it's up to them to demonstrate that.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
In my opinion, 99% of the humongous amount of people that used to post on GAF left simply because everyone else was leaving, and the forum was dead, dying, or filled with spam and account suicides. They just wanted to post at a busy place. 1% of them are the psychos that found their way into mod positions, or key protected posters that some of us could probably name by name who control the flow of conversation over there, or attack posters without any repercussions because they have the right political ideology.

These types of threads always strike me as bizarre for multiple reasons. It seems like a way for people that were here first to pat themselves on the back and act like they're somehow special, when they're not. Ironically, this is just leading to the same kind of shitty protected poster status I hated on old GAF, where people think they're elite posters simply because they've been here longer. Furthermore, if this place is so open to discussion and opinions with light moderation, it's just hypocritical to make people beg to post here and put them through some mob tribunal with little substance. And lastly, one of the main goals of the site is to grow, with more people posting here, and every one of these threads seems to be pushing against that like it's somehow a bad thing. It's just mostly toxic bullshit.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
These types of threads always strike me as bizarre for multiple reasons. It seems like a way for people that were here first to pat themselves on the back and act like they're somehow special, when they're not. Ironically, this is just leading to the same kind of shitty protected poster status I hated on old GAF, where people think they're elite posters simply because they've been here longer. Furthermore, if this place is so open to discussion and opinions with light moderation, it's just hypocritical to make people beg to post here and put them through some mob tribunal with little substance. And lastly, one of the main goals of the site is to grow, with more people posting here, and every one of these threads seems to be pushing against that like it's somehow a bad thing. It's just mostly toxic bullshit.
I’m not “elite” or “special”, I’m fucking normal and smart. Not a drooling dumb ass that follows the herd and gets led by the nose.

Yes, I and others point out that we stayed here. Not to display that we are special, but to show that there was a CHOICE. People made a CHOICE. Nobody forced them. They are adults. Maybe dumb ones, but adults nonetheless and they can own their decisions.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Sure, there's a difference. I was always skeptical of the claims against Evilore, or at least the eagerness people had at condemning him with no evidence, so I kept posting here. Sill, I am still in favor of giving people another chance when presented with the choice. You could probably dig through my post history and find some stupid shit even from just a few years ago that I probably wouldn't agree with today. I know I've changed a good deal and I imagine many others have as well, but of course it's up to them to demonstrate that.
Like this?

Witcher 3 on Switch is the definitive version.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I’m not “elite” or “special”, I’m fucking normal and smart. Not a drooling dumb ass that follows the herd and gets led by the nose.

Yes, I and others point out that we stayed here. Not to display that we are special, but to show that there was a CHOICE. People made a CHOICE. Nobody forced them. They are adults. Maybe dumb ones, but adults nonetheless and they can own their decisions.
You're not special. Just 99% of old GAF posters are drooling sheep. Is there really any difference in these statements, except semantics?

Papa

Banned
In my opinion, 99% of the humongous amount of people that used to post on GAF left simply because everyone else was leaving, and the forum was dead, dying, or filled with spam and account suicides. They just wanted to post at a busy place. 1% of them are the psychos that found their way into mod positions, or key protected posters that some of us could probably name by name who control the flow of conversation over there, or attack posters without any repercussions because they have the right political ideology.

I see we have Smoothbrain Miku today. I miss Big Brain Miku.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

Confirmed Xbox One X owner.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I got perma banned from here once.
In the old SJW days.
I joined back with a pretty much identical user name after the 2017 gaf inquisition.
Shit, that makes you even more hardcore than the people who stayed. I also got banned for arguing against SJW bullshit long before the split.

Guess that makes us ultra-elite. We didn't quietly hide from mods to keep our accounts active.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Is there really any difference in these statements, except semantics?
Mostly just what you think the other person is thinking. We're not mind readers here. Scopa's just recapping history along with giving his analysis of the situation. What he's not doing is trying to make it all about himself in an egotistical way, which means that I have to give him the benefit of the doubt that yes, there is a difference, and no, his mild rant isn't code for "I'm special look at how cool I am".

V4skunk

Banned

This is what got me banned on SJW gaf.👌

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I got perma banned from here once.
In the old SJW days.
I joined back with a pretty much identical user name after the 2017 gaf inquisition.
Same. Dragon's Crown came out and well you know my stance on harmless games like these and that men aren't evil.

Papa

Banned
Smoothbrain Miku seems to have an obsession with equalising "elite" posters that only he can see in his head.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Smoothbrain Miku seems to have an obsession with equalising "elite" posters that only he can see in his head.
I’m not even part of the Discord groups or post 70-100 times a day. Don’t get invited to the secret PM groups. Yet I’m a special, protected poster apparently. Lmao. Sadface.

highrider

Banned

Conveniently this would make you extra special for being able to see this 😀

Papa

Banned
Just calling it like I see it, which is more than you did. You don't even really argue points, just insults.

And you're a manic depressive who tries to make up for his own insecurities by equalising others. You think you're being a Good Person™ but you're just making the same mistakes that all the other overly-empathetic equalisers always make.

I argue points just fine when I want to. You've even complimented me on it. I just try to be judicious with such input because it requires a lot of effort and there's a time and a place for it. Quite often that effort is wasted if it's expended on the wrong person, so I try to gauge who I'm responding to first. A lot of the time, I suppose because it's the nature of the internet, I deduce that the person isn't being honest and in that case it's easier/more fun/more effective to lob a sarcastic insult their way and let them know that I'm not playing their game. Imagine if I went to such effort for NI, dragonfart or OptimusAnus. Waste of time.

You clearly are the kind of person who believes that social hierarchies are inherently bad, so you try your damnedest to eradicate them. Because you fight against social hierarchies, you fall into the trap of trying to find power differentials and adjudicate based on that. This results in you ignoring the actions of your perceived weaker party and focusing only on the actions of your perceived stronger party. We've done this dance enough times for me to understand that about you. This is why you fail to see the utility in insults. You can't comprehend that they're a means of knocking someone back down the social hierarchy until they can engage honestly. You also can't differentiate between insults either -- you simply perceive an insult and ignore everything that preceded it. They're all equivalent to you. This is smoothbrain behaviour. Some insults are deserved while others are ad hominem and should be discouraged by the group.

If you want to graduate back up to Big Brain Miku, you need to wrap your head around the fact that social hierarchies are natural and are only bad when they become corrupted. People are different and attempting to equalise them does more harm than good in the long run. Some are smarter than others. Some are funnier than others. Some are more compassionate than others. In my estimation, these are the main factors that determine internet social hierarchies where physical attributes are a non-factor. Insults are not necessarily a sign of a corrupted social hierarchy and you need to get this idea out of your head. The hierarchy is only corrupted when there are double standards and protected posters. I get as much as I give, so there's no double standard in my view.

You seem to always think you've caught me in a "gotcha" moment when you cry about my use of insults as rhetorical devices but I'm pretty open about what I'm doing. You just can't/don't want to understand it.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
And you're a manic depressive who tries to make up for his own insecurities by equalising others. You think you're being a Good Person™ but you're just making the same mistakes that all the other overly-empathetic equalisers always make.

I argue points just fine when I want to. You've even complimented me on it. I just try to be judicious with such input because it requires a lot of effort and there's a time and a place for it. Quite often that effort is wasted if it's expended on the wrong person, so I try to gauge who I'm responding to first. A lot of the time, I suppose because it's the nature of the internet, I deduce that the person isn't being honest and in that case it's easier/more fun/more effective to lob a sarcastic insult their way and let them know that I'm not playing their game. Imagine if I went to such effort for NI, dragonfart or OptimusAnus. Waste of time.

You clearly are the kind of person who believes that social hierarchies are inherently bad, so you try your damnedest to eradicate them. Because you fight against social hierarchies, you fall into the trap of trying to find power differentials and adjudicate based on that. This results in you ignoring the actions of your perceived weaker party and focusing only on the actions of your perceived stronger party. We've done this dance enough times for me to understand that about you. This is why you fail to see the utility in insults. You can't comprehend that they're a means of knocking someone back down the social hierarchy until they can engage honestly. You also can't differentiate between insults either -- you simply perceive an insult and ignore everything that preceded it. They're all equivalent to you. This is smoothbrain behaviour. Some insults are deserved while others are ad hominem and should be discouraged by the group.

If you want to graduate back up to Big Brain Miku, you need to wrap your head around the fact that social hierarchies are natural and are only bad when they become corrupted. People are different and attempting to equalise them does more harm than good in the long run. Some are smarter than others. Some are funnier than others. Some are more compassionate than others. In my estimation, these are the main factors that determine internet social hierarchies where physical attributes are a non-factor. Insults are not necessarily a sign of a corrupted social hierarchy and you need to get this idea out of your head. The hierarchy is only corrupted when there are double standards and protected posters. I get as much as I give, so there's no double standard in my view.

You seem to always think you've caught me in a "gotcha" moment when you cry about my use of insults as rhetorical devices but I'm pretty open about what I'm doing. You just can't/don't want to understand it.

Oi8r0Va.png

Airola

I don’t like allowing people back here who fucked off to REEE and only crawled back because they got permed over there. I think it’s pathetic on their part and weak on our part.

Letting these sheep back will lower the quality of this place.

That’s my two cents.

We are all pathetic nerds though. This is an internet forum. Let's not take this too seriously. That was exactly the problem they had. They took this as a community and as a social platform way too seriously and thought they could use it to change the world.

I couldn't care less if Hitler, Pol Pot and Stalin came here to talk about video games and stir shit on the Politics forum as long as they don't become mods.

Top Bottom