• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Rohde on Amy Hennig's Departure [Up: Naughty Dog responds]

Status
Not open for further replies.

test_account

XP-39C²
He won't agree but yet he isn't saying it...... So In other words...

She was forced out.
Generally speaking, not specifically saying "agree" or "disagree" is not the same as confirming something. For example, you have probably seen the comment "we dont comment on rumors and speculations" that is several times an answer to rumors and speculations, and that comment isnt agreeing or disagreeing to if the rumor is true or not.

Tretton and Hennig were having an affair, Neil and Bruce found out, blackmailed her into leaving so they could take over uncharted, then they threatened to tell Jack Trettons family unless he stepped down and let Shawn Layden take over because Shawn had a deal worked out with Bruce and Neil that if they helped him take over he would increase Naughty Dogs budget... Mitch Dyer was hired by Microsoft as a private investigator to seek out any troubles in the Sony studios to make some negative press about Sony and make them look bad before Titanfall released. All of this was a master plan concieved in the mind of Satya Nadella, Microsofts new CEO who introduced Amy and Jack at a party a few months ago....

Nailed it.
obviously kidding

PJV3

Tretton and Hennig were having an affair, Neil and Bruce found out, blackmailed her into leaving so they could take over uncharted, then they threatened to tell Jack Trettons family unless he stepped down and let Shawn Layden take over because Shawn had a deal worked out with Bruce and Neil that if they helped him take over he would increase Naughty Dogs budget... Mitch Dyer was hired by Microsoft as a private investigator to seek out any troubles in the Sony studios to make some negative press about Sony and take make them look bad before Titanfall released. All of this was a master plan concieved in the mind of Satya Nadella, Microsofts new CEO who introduced Amy and Jack at a party a few months ago....

Nailed it.
obviously kidding

All that information from a cryptic tweet.
I wish I could read between the lines like that. :p

Justified

Tretton and Hennig were having an affair, Neil and Bruce found out, blackmailed her into leaving so they could take over uncharted, then they threatened to tell Jack Trettons family unless he stepped down and let Shawn Layden take over because Shawn had a deal worked out with Bruce and Neil that if they helped him take over he would increase Naughty Dogs budget... Mitch Dyer was hired by Microsoft as a private investigator to seek out any troubles in the Sony studios to make some negative press about Sony and take make them look bad before Titanfall released. All of this was a master plan concieved in the mind of Satya Nadella, Microsofts new CEO who introduced Amy and Jack at a party a few months ago....

Nailed it.
obviously kidding

Where was Iwata during all of this?

Yeah, ND´s comment boils down to "they didn´t force her out" and "things change" .

We haven´t heard a single word from Henning herself, not even the standard "moving on/ new challanges/ new opportunities/ thanks for the great years/ whatever " statement.

You don´t have to be a genius to figure out that there is more to the story than ND wants you to believe.

charsace

Why would people want Mitch to post a source or more evidence? Either thing would get the source fired and then the dude would be blacklisted.

Yeah, ND´s comment boils down to "they didn´t force her out" and "things change" .

We haven´t heard a single word from Henning herself, not even the standard "moving on/ new challanges/ new opportunities/ thanks for the great years/ whatever " statement.

You don´t have to be a genius to figure out that there is more to the story than ND wants you to believe.

True.

From someone who is quite respected among a lot of gamers you would expect some sort of statement if she chose this path on her own.

All signs point to the fact that she has been forced out, and something tells me that the vision Neil Druckmann and Bruce Strale had for Uncharted did not sit well with her and she became a nuisance.

I sure as god hope they are not going for a serious tone in that franchise.

Salex_

They wrote something unflattering about Naughty Gods

Is this a serious post? If IGN is going to use people's names and keep pushing the words "forced out", they better provide more information. Sounds like you want to blindly believe in what IGN reported when that writer has a history of not owning up to his false bullshit.

Of course it's 100 percent better to believe the unnamed source instead of the official statement from ND, right?

Musolf815

Nailed it.
obviously kidding

And the new Santa Monica IP somehow became a scapegoat as well, correct?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
True.

From someone who is quite respected among a lot of gamers you would expect some sort of statement if she chose this path on her own.

All signs point to the fact that she has been forced out, and something tells me that the vision Neil Druckmann and Bruce Strale had for Uncharted did not sit well with her and she became a nuisance.

I sure as god hope they are not going for a serious tone in that franchise.

I don't think Neil and Bruce have anything to do with Uncharted right now. The game's been in development by a different team since 2011. They were working on TLoU from 2009 until Left Behind was released.

Tripon

When you want an issue to go away, you don't start a huge lawsuit. You also don't sue one of the major distributors of information for your industry. It would be starting a battle that wouldn't end well at all. Lawsuits aren't the best way to resolve all issues. I thought people would see that there are many layers to this entire business relationship thing.
Right. ND took the right stance on this. Deny specifically that certain members were involved in the firings, but say as little as possible.

And I'm arguing against the idea that for some reason IGN and Dyer have yo burn their source in order to prove it was credible. No way they don't.

Famassu

Since Naughty Dog is loved by many people on this board any type of negativity directed at the company is going to be met with people trying to shut down the discussion as quickly as possible. Even PR can't do damage control half as well as members of Gaf can.

You can bet if this happened at some company like Ubisoft with Jade Raymond being let go then the tone would be very different since most people don't really care enough about Ubisoft.

Maybe we all should have kept our mouths shut when Jeff Gerstmann was let go from Gamespot since clearly that was none of our buisness, right?
No one is saying we can't discuss this, but baseless speculation and the horrible bad-mouthing directed at the two accused men based on nothing is beyond stupid. When all we have is some vague shit from IGN (which, btw, IGN hasn't substantiated or defended in any way after Naughty Dog's response), it's stupid to go all hysterical about the subject, acting as if the two 100% surely did it and are horrible and Naughty Dog is going to the shitziez due all of this.

There's a difference between discussing this in a logical, civil way and going batshit insane.

modsbox

They said she was forced out by Druckmann and c:eek:, which isn't true according to ND themselves.

And yet IGN hasn't pulled the story and is sticking by it. Hence why people are viewing the ND statement a bit skeptically.

To all the people saying 'this is none of our business.'...

Sure it is. I buy a lot of games. I like the Uncharted series tremendously. Didn't care much for TLoU but understand that it was well-made and highly praised.

I am curious about Amy's future. I am curious about Uncharted PS4 as a PS4 owner. I like her writing, her style.

Just like I can not buy EA games because of their business practices, I can choose to not buy Uncharted because she didn't help make it. Maybe her portion of the work is done, maybe it will be scrapped. Who knows. But there is a reason ND is trying to act like nothing happened, because she's respected.

I've also been in corporate for 15 years at this point. Things like this _do_ happen in the industry. 'I refuse to work with her' from Druckmann and Straley could have been enough to get her fired (and for management to say they weren't involved, since it was ostensibly their decision). Amy also could have done something stupid at work that made her deserve it. Who knows. Clearly enough people would look bad if the truth came out (my guess is there's enough blame to go around) so we may not get it.

But acting like we can't talk about this on GAF, on a _discussion forum_ called Gaming Discussion? Pretty ridiculous. It's directly gaming related, impacts a major upcoming PS4 release, major game series, etc. If it's okay to have megathreads about the resolution of unreleased games, this is clearly valid.

atr0cious

No one is saying we can't discuss this, but baseless speculation and the horrible bad-mouthing directed at the two accused men based on nothing is beyond stupid. When all we have is some vague shit from IGN (which, btw, IGN hasn't substantiated or defended in any way after Naughty Dog's response), it's stupid to go all hysterical about the subject, acting as if the two 100% surely did it and are horrible and Naughty Dog is going to the shitziez due all of this.

There's a difference between discussing this in a logical, civil way and going batshit insane.

You wouldn't have known Amy got fired, without that "baseless speculation."

thuway

If ND thought that IGN committed libel and thought it was worth it to sue for damages, they should do so. On that same token, IGN would not knowingly run a false rumor just for clicks on the very same premise. Nobody likes a lawsuit. This isn't some guy on his blog being passed info, this is IGN, part of a larger corporation that understands what they can and can't publish.

But that's not what you were calling for, you wanted IGN to out a source for your own personal need to denigrate the source, IGN, and whatever else you find fault in this story. Frankly, that's disgusting.

Thuway Story Time

What you don't know is what happens behind the scenes. I'll be brief and frank, but I worked at a major first party many moons ago. There was a time when one of our games had sensitive information leaked to the internet.

Within 15 minutes, they had a department wide meeting where they STRESSED they would press charges against the person who committed the crime. We were never told who it was, what happened, and how it went down, but to say that we were all paranoid and shaking in our boots is an understatement. No matter who you talked to, the gossip was heavy and each person took the accusations seriously, and some even took it offensively. Point is - there are too many people and too many reactions to consider.

GAF, the internet, games media etc. - need to leave the details behind the Amy Hennig story alone. Way too much happens in the industry, and I see nothing but trouble if your attempt is to try and conjure up a narrative to highlight what went wrong and how it went down

No one but Evan and Christopher will know the entire story, and that is usually the nature of how these things are run. Point is, upper management exists for a reason. They don't just play with fire and pogo sticks. They behave professionally and logically for the health of the company.

I just want everyone to think about one thing. Sony is very good about giving exposure to their first party teams and letting people go public. Amy Hennig was almost a poster child for Uncharted. This decision was not something made on whim.

However, the idea Naughty Dog even responded to this claims says volumes about how misconstrued the information was. Sony's relationship with IGN is both public and symbolic. Shu coming on Podcast Beyond, The Last of Us and Uncharted 3 getting 10s, and Greg being the voice are all pretty big details.

I've known a ton of shitty employees on the insider track who are nothing but angry and unforgiving. Poor journalism? People moving on? Employees switching to different divisions in the same company? I don't know. One thing is for sure, Naughty Dog is not run by monkeys and this decision was made with careful thought and planning from every party involved.

My two cents? Any sort of tabloid journalism from a major outlet is nothing but hurtful to the reputation of all parties involved. At this point people are disrespecting IGN, Naughty Dog, and Amy. For all anyone knows Amy could be sent over to Santa Monica, but this news story is pure click bait, and that's sad for a site as large as IGN.

Alucrid

Banned
Thuway Story Time

What you don't know is what happens behind the scenes. I'll be brief and frank, but I worked at a major first party many moons ago. There was a time when one of our games had sensitive information leaked to the internet.

Within 15 minutes, they had a department wide meeting where they STRESSED they would press charges against the person who committed the crime. We were never told who it was, what happened, and how it went down, but to say that we were all paranoid and shaking in our boots is an understatement. No matter who you talked to, the gossip was heavy and each person took the accusations seriously, and some even took it offensively. Point is - there are too many people and too many reactions to consider.

GAF, the internet, games media etc. - need to leave the details behind the Amy Hennig story alone. Way too much happens in the industry, and I see nothing but trouble if your attempt is to try and conjure up a narrative to highlight what went wrong and how it went down

No one but Evan and Christopher will know the entire story, and that is usually the nature of how these things are run. Point is, upper management exists for a reason. They don't just play with fire and pogo sticks. They behave professionally and logically for the health of the company.

I just want everyone to think about one thing. Sony is very good about giving exposure to their first party teams and letting people go public. Amy Hennig was almost a poster child for Uncharted. This decision was not something made on whim.

However, the idea Naughty Dog even responded to this claims says volumes about how misconstrued the information was. Sony's relationship with IGN is both public and symbolic. Shu coming on Podcast Beyond, The Last of Us and Uncharted 3 getting 10s, and Greg being the voice are all pretty big details.

I've known a ton of shitty employees on the insider track who are nothing but angry and unforgiving. Poor journalism? People moving on? Employees switching to different divisions in the same company? I don't know. One thing is for sure, Naughty Dog is not run by monkeys and this decision was made with careful thought and planning from every party involved.

My two cents? Any sort of tabloid journalism from a major outlet is nothing but hurtful to the reputation of all parties involved. At this point people are disrespecting IGN, Naughty Dog, and Amy. For all anyone knows Amy could be sent over to Santa Monica, but this news story is pure click bait, and that's sad for a site as large as IGN.

Parrot as an avatar. Positive Sony talk. Thurway is clearly just a mouthpiece for Naughty Dog's agenda at hiding information from neogaf.

Thuway Story Time

Within 15 minutes, they had a department wide meeting where they STRESSED they would press charges against the person who committed the crime. We were never told who it was, what happened, and how it went down, but to say that we were all paranoid and shaking in our boots is an understatement. No matter who you talked to, the gossip was heavy and each person took the accusations seriously, and some even took it offensively.
Point is - there are too many people and too many reactions to consider.

Probably why IGN is keeping their source anonymous.

Zephyx

ND didn't actually say they forced her out or things change. It was Scott Rohde. Whether she was "forced out" or simply "let go" was not mentioned in the ND statement. You don't have to be a genius to figure that out.

Honestly, I'm curious to what story are you referring to that ND actually wants us to believe.

Vizzeh

Banned
The fact ND had to point out the quote below, on their website and updated on IGN, shows how annoyed they are with the quotations, I bet Mitch Dyer got an ear warming.

"We feel it necessary to clear up a very important point that was unprofessionally misreported when the story broke," Evan Walls and Christophe Balestra said in a joint statement on Naughty Dog's site. "Bruce Straley and Neil Druckmann were NOT involved in what transpired."

Zalman

Very unprofessional of Mitch Dyer to call out Druckmann and Staley. Regardless of what happened at Naughty Dog, it's not our business.

spwolf

And yet IGN hasn't pulled the story and is sticking by it. Hence why people are viewing the ND statement a bit skeptically.

To all the people saying 'this is none of our business.'...

Sure it is. I buy a lot of games. I like the Uncharted series tremendously. Didn't care much for TLoU but understand that it was well-made and highly praised.

I am curious about Amy's future. I am curious about Uncharted PS4 as a PS4 owner. I like her writing, her style.

Just like I can not buy EA games because of their business practices, I can choose to not buy Uncharted because she didn't help make it. Maybe her portion of the work is done, maybe it will be scrapped. Who knows. But there is a reason ND is trying to act like nothing happened, because she's respected.

I've also been in corporate for 15 years at this point. Things like this _do_ happen in the industry. 'I refuse to work with her' from Druckmann and Straley could have been enough to get her fired (and for management to say they weren't involved, since it was ostensibly their decision). Amy also could have done something stupid at work that made her deserve it. Who knows. Clearly enough people would look bad if the truth came out (my guess is there's enough blame to go around) so we may not get it.

But acting like we can't talk about this on GAF, on a _discussion forum_ called Gaming Discussion? Pretty ridiculous. It's directly gaming related, impacts a major upcoming PS4 release, major game series, etc. If it's okay to have megathreads about the resolution of unreleased games, this is clearly valid.

Major news media hates pulling stories, let alone a gaming blog pulling tiny article because of because.

As to why, what is most likely is that they had disagreed about story or whatever else Amy was working on and thats it.

When it comes to creative control, when it comes to every project, you have people arguing about how everything goes.

Hard to believe someone working for 15 years "in corporate" doesnt understand that making a game or a movie is not a process where people hold hands, sing together while completing their masterpiece. There are disagreements about any part of any project, and when you have strong willed people, arguments happen.

People are looking too much into something as simple as that.

Famassu

I and many others have already pointed out several different explanations as to why Hennig might've not wanted to comment on things. Maybe she herself is the reason for the departure. Maybe she just wants to clear her head after such a drastic change in her life before commenting. Maybe she's trying to figure out what she'll do next and won't comment on anything until then. Maybe she's just such a private person she doesn't really think some NeoGAFfer needs to know her reasons for quitting. Maybe she ran into some creative differences and left on good terms with everyone before that would become an issue. That she was forced out and is trying to cover it up together with Naughty Dog is just one of many possible explanations and pretty much the absolute worst case scenario. The reasons for her leaving Naughty Dog doesn't have to be that dramatic. Even disagreements that lead to someone leaving like Hennig doesn't always mean that there must be some juicy gossip & drama behind the decision, it might just really be some creative differences and them making a more or less mutual agreement that maybe her time at Naughty Dog has run its course.

Yeah, there's probably more to the story than what we know, but it doesn't have to be some "they forced her out because she was becoming nuisance" kind of shit. There's nothing pointing into the kind of direction that she was being forced out, especially considering the two accused men have claimed to really respect Amy Hennig and everything she's accomplished.

You wouldn't have known Amy got fired, without that "baseless speculation."
Amy Hennig leaving Naughty Dog is big news and it would've come out soon even without IGN. They decided to add their own spin to it without trying to confirm it from any other sources, like they often have with things that don't have any truth to them.

Going by that logic it can something as simple as

Nd did not like the direction uc4 was going. She did not agree with it and she was too invested into the story and refused to change because nd higher ups didnt like where the game was ending up. Maybe they wanted a different direction and she wanted a different direction and she was let go because of this disagreement.

thuway

I'll say one final thing on the matter. I've worked at places where the environment literally felt like a glorified version of Highschool. Disgruntled employees, offended people, and morbid happenstances are par for the course. Game development is a fun, esoteric, eccentric, and a theatric thing. We have our egos, our creatives, our introverts, and our kooks. Shit happens, ALL-THE-TIME.

Amy is a big deal, but this is nothing new or extraordinary in the industry. IGN beginning to even imply there is some sort of coup in order is disingenuous, stupid, and disgusting. I've seen people lose jobs, I've seen people who didn't deserve it get promoted, and I've had that FUCKING call letting me know I've been laid off.

Everyone has a different perspective, impression, and story. This is why tabloid journalism does not work. Studio culture is such a sensitive and strange thing. You can't describe it, and if you try to concentrate it into a post on a message board you are left with nothing but a strange explanation of nothingness. It's as if someone asked me to describe my relationship with my ex-girlfriend, there is no "graceful" way of talking about it, especially if it comes from a third party source with inflammatory accusations.

One employee's perspective does not paint the ENTIRE picture.

This is journalistic immaturity at its finest, and the reception to the news will be similar.

meanspartan

Very unprofessional of Mitch Dyer to call out Druckmann and Staley. Regardless of what happened at Naughty Dog, it's not our business.

I agree.

I know nothing at all about these people, Druckmann, Staley, or Hennig. What I DO know is that all of them have played pivotal roles in getting extraordinary games out there, Uncharted and Last of Us, and so I can at least call them talented artists.

And artists, when they work together, can often clash in where they think projects should go. So maybe they had a falling out, and if so, that is their business. I look forward to what Druckmann and Staley do next at Naughty Dog, and I also look forward to Hennig's next project, wherever she ends up.

I'll say one final thing on the matter. I've worked at places where the environment literally felt like a glorified version of Highschool. Disgruntled employees, offended people, and morbid happenstances are par for the course. Game development is a fun, esoteric, eccentric, and a theatric thing. We have our egos, our creatives, our introverts, and our kooks. Shit happens, ALL-THE-TIME.

Amy is a big deal, but this is nothing new or extraordinary in the industry. IGN beginning to even imply there is some sort of coup in order is disingenuous, stupid, and disgusting. I've seen people lose jobs, I've seen people who didn't deserve it get promoted, and I've had that FUCKING call letting me know I've been laid off.

Everyone has a different perspective, impression, and story. This is why tabloid journalism does not work. Studio culture is such a sensitive and strange thing. You can't describe it, and if you try to concentrate it into a post on a message board you are left with nothing but a strange explanation of nothingness. It's as if someone asked me to describe my relationship with my ex-girlfriend, there is no "graceful" way of talking about it, especially if it comes from a third party source with inflammatory accusations.

One employee's perspective does not paint the ENTIRE picture.

This is journalistic immaturity at its finest, and the reception to the news will be similar.
So you want this thread locked? This is a discussion board, I'm sorry if what's being discussed makes you uncomfortable but tough. If the mods think it should be locked then fine, until then this topic is fair game.

It's also funny how you're laying yourself out there as some kind of expert because you've had shitty jobs. Welcome to the club bub

Where was Iwata during all of this?

tumblr_mdgmnbK7ME1ql3o7so1_400.png

thuway

So you want this thread locked? This is a discussion board, I'm sorry if what's being discussed makes you uncomfortable but tough. If the mods think it should be locked then fine, until then this topic is fair game.

It's also funny how you're laying yourself out there as some kind of expert because you've had shitty jobs. Welcome to the club bub

I never said that thanks. I am implying there is more to the story and you will most likely not hear it. I'm also expressing my disappointment with IGN and how one news report somehow turned the entire internet into a trial by fire game of jump to conclusions. These are people's jobs and reputations, but hey I'm "behaving" as some sort of expert because I've had a shitty job. Anyway, I'll leave this to you guys, good day gentlemen.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
No one is asking for them to name the source. Just to add more information instead of vague gossip. The fact that IGN openly reported the wording used in the respose from ND and did not double down or expand on their story speaks volumes about how shakey the details they got were.

BTW, Thuway does know a lot about how the industry works. Listen to him.

No one is asking for them to name the source. Just to add more information instead of vague gossip. The fact that IGN openly reported the wording used in the respose from ND and did not double down or expand on their story speaks volumes about how shakey the details they got were.

This.

Alucrid

Banned

Pretty much. Just because they're anonymous doesn't mean they can't contact them again. Either they were wrong or they'll double down on their statement. The article said sources, so they have at least two, I assume.

PJV3

Pretty much. Just because they're anonymous doesn't mean they can't contact them again. Either they were wrong or they'll double down on their statement. The article said sources, so they have at least two, I assume.

Sorry but the Quasi-krypto tweet from Amy pretty much confirms that ND are bastards.
I'm burning my collection of their games as I speak.

Naughty Dog is responsible for some of the best games ever created (ever heard of Uncharted 3, folks?) so I'm a bit more inclined to believe them than a piece of crap company infamous for lying. Sorry IGN, but, no, GTAIV's story was not "Oscar-caliber drama".

Vizzeh

Banned

"forced out" Is purely a metaphor and no more. Amy likely felt her hands were tied more than she had liked creatively, on a project she started. Her personal opinion on how tied, is down to her, it could mean no longer direct control or limited control.

It could simply mean she didnt agree on the direction other creative influences wanted to take uncharted.

I very much doubt they shown her the door, Its likely an ego thing.

Mitch Dyers Journalistic credit has definitively took a hit after this article. Seemingly IGN are happy to let him given their transparency in the new article publicizing the "unprofessional journalism".

StuBurns

Banned
Naughty Dog is responsible for some of the best games ever created (ever heard of Uncharted 3, folks?) so I'm a bit more inclined to believe them than a piece of crap company infamous for lying. Sorry IGN, but, no, GTAIV's story was not "Oscar-caliber drama".
Some really poorly written films have won best screenplay. Return of the King, The Exorcist, Juno, Crash, Almost Famous, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom