• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Rohde on Amy Hennig's Departure [Up: Naughty Dog responds]

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedAssedApe

Banned
@Mitchyd The fact is she left, and not of her own accord. The story is right, we are confident in it, the end.

Yuck. Right or wrong I really dislike how he responds. Like when they made that video about 1080p. :|

spuit*11

Banned
About two weeks ago I heard of a rumour that stated she didn't agree with the Tumblr pandering in the Last of US dlc, thought it was robbing the story of the concept friendship. Take that for what it's worth.

I'll see if I can find the source of it.

PJV3

If ND were unhappy with her work on U4 do people expect them to let her get on with it and maybe lose millions?

Forced out could mean anything in a situation like this.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
" But things change, and sometimes change involves very high profile individuals. "

Specially when that very high profile individual is instrumental to one of your most important franchises.

Both Rohde and accompanying Sony PR reiterated that Hennig’s departure from Naughty Dog wouldn’t hinder Uncharted 4’s progress, and that its development “is unchanged completely.”

Sorry but that's a load of bullshit. Uncharted 4 is not unchanged, it will suffer significantly from losing Amy's contributions over the next few months.

It'll probably be relatively unchanged, especially if it's out within a year. Her writing was probably finalized and the gameplay director is still on the game.

Vire

If they have a legitimate source, they're not going to out him or her. Nor should they be expected to.

I'm not asking for him to say who his sources are, I'm asking him to back up his claims with substantial proof or facts, a run through of the string of evidence that leads him to his conclusion.

StuBurns

Banned
About two weeks ago I heard of a rumour that stated she didn't agree with the Tumblr pandering in the Last of US dlc, thought it was robbing the story of the concept friendship. Take that for what it's worth.

She's denied it.

There's a massive difference between a gaming forum and a professionally run gaming site with millions of views.

That massive (and undeniable) difference is kind of irrelevant. What they did was called journalism. And, reports don't have to be confirmed - they are titled as such. They have to be well sourced. So, honestly I implore anyone who thinks this is a bad thing, to consider what they'd actually like from IGN.

I want less marketing and more journalism.

I never believed it in the first place. Why would neil and bruce force her out when they werent even working on uncharted. Whatever happened, they're not going to stupidly go into detail about it so of course it's going to sound vague.

Chris_C

Good on them for calling out IGN/Greg Miller on the unprofessional phrasing and backing up their dudes. Would still like to hear from Amy though

As far as I can tell the story was written by Mich Dyer (though the editor should have held him to task). I do agree though, he should never have used the phrase without a definite source or a full quote. Very much tabloid journalism.

The fact that they won't tell us anything further apart from "things change", insist on dropping the whole affair to get back to making games, say they're setting the record straight to protect their employees (and not Hennig), and having nothing nice to say about Hennig, and having not heard a message from Hennig herself, pretty much seals the deal that this wasn't an amicable departure.

Whether it was amicable or not isn't really the issue. People get fired/laid off/leave all the time. Sure there's a story there, but creating one without citing legitimate sources by laying the blame at the feet of a pair of co-workers is wrong. Is it true? Who knows, but you can't just say things without backing them up.

EDIT: To clarify, I'm not saying he should out his sources, what I'm saying is that the responsible thing to do would have been to leave the incendiary "forced out" quote out of the story and publish the rest, while digging deeper and following up with a more fleshed out piece when he had more information.

EDIT 2: An example of good anonymous reporting. Get the facts out there, follow up when you have detailed information, multiple sources and quotes. http://www.polygon.com/2014/3/6/5474722/why-did-irrational-close-bioshock-infinite

idlewild_

Could somebody put up the complete statement from ND here? The link isn't working for me :(

Here you go:

Earlier this week we had to confirm the regrettable news that Amy Hennig has left Naughty Dog. She will be missed and as we stated before we appreciate the significant contributions that she has made to Naughty Dog and the industry in general. We wish her the best.

However, we feel it necessary to clear up a very important point that was unprofessionally misreported when the story broke. Bruce Straley and Neil Druckmann were NOT involved in what transpired. It was very upsetting to us that dozens of stories were run, linking back to the same hurtful accusations in the original report. As co-presidents of Naughty Dog, we are responsible for all studio affairs.

Normally, we wouldn’t respond to rumors and speculation on matters that are internal to Naughty Dog, but because the personal reputation of two of our employees is being damaged we needed to set the record straight. There is nothing left to be said on this subject. Now we’re going back to focusing on what we should – making games.

jediyoshi

And, reports don't have to be confirmed - they are titled as such. They have to be well sourced. So, honestly I implore anyone who thinks this is a bad thing, to consider what they'd actually like from IGN.

Perhaps I haven't been giving TMZ enough slack all these years.

my theory:

with all that's happening right now in playstation, and sony in general, they have been affected by some restructuring. canceling ssm's project, hennig getting fired, tretton stepping down, etc.

so how did neil and bruce get caught with hennig getting fired? probably because nd had to make a choice of having just one game/creative director handling two projects, so they fired hennig over druckman/straley combo, and probably straley didn't want to continue without druckman and vice versa. hennig also didn't want to go, but nd had to choose.

that's my two cents.

the fact is, hennig was fired. one of the uncharted 4 actors was upset about it as well.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Except you didn't "set the record straight" because there was no account of what actually happened.
There's fucking PLENTY left to say on the subject, Naughty Dog just doesn't want to embarrass themselves by telling us the truth of the matter.
This is some "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain" bullshit.
They (co-presidents) let her go.
"As co-presidents of Naughty Dog, we are responsible for all studio affairs."

They pretty much say that without spelling it out. Was she asking for something unreasonable (which I doubt) or they didn't like how UC4 was progressing, or she didn't like something about ND anymore, or whatever else transpired, they wanted people to understand that it was them who were involved with her leaving, and not Neil and Bruce. Maybe they simply have more faith in Neil and Bruce for the upcoming games, and wanted them to be in charge of UC4, that doesn't mean that those two made requests for Amy to leave.

Jarmel

Banned
I'm not asking for him to say who his sources are, I'm asking him to back up his claims with substantial proof or facts, a run through of the string of evidence that leads him to his conclusion.

At which point it wouldn't be a rumor, and could also easily out a source.

It'll probably be relatively unchanged, especially if it's out within a year. Her writing was probably finalized and the gameplay director is still on the game.

Based on interviews and behind the scenes footage, the dialogue changes during the recording/mocap process sometimes, so I wouldn't say it is finalized. The overall story might have been complete, though. Unless they completely scrap the story and start over - we really have no idea how far into development they were (right?).

She's already denied that rumor.

But of course this is Gaf, so there will be people accusing her of lying too.

ReaperXL7

This is the first time I've seen sexism attached to it.

It's just the nature of the allegations that fits into the current major industry talking point. A high profile female game developer is "forced out" by two overbearing men.

I have seen the accusation a few times in various comments regarding this story around the internet because people believed that Neil and Bruce pushed her out.

That massive (and undeniable) difference is kind of irrelevant. What they did was called journalism. And, reports don't have to be confirmed - they are titled as such. They have to be well sourced. So, honestly I implore anyone who thinks this is a bad thing, to consider what they'd actually like from IGN.

I'd like for IGN to keep people's names out of the articles if their sources can't provide specific information or evidence.

If they had run the same article but kept Neil and Bruce's names out, it would still have been click bait but at least two people who did nothing wrong wouldn't have their names run through the mud thanks to "a source."

ZeroX03

Banned

How would he do that without outing his sources? What you're asking for is not unreasonable but may not be possible. Sometimes you have to take tips from anonymous sources as they are and trust the reporter (or not).

What is their incentive for lying about Straley and Druckmann not being involved?

They wouldn't want the reputation of anyone at their company tarnished, especially those in a leadership position or the public eye.

I'm not saying one way or another that IGN or ND are lying, no side here.

Alucrid

Banned

Journalistic material should include clarity, something clearly lacking in the original IGN article. If they can get sources that tell them she was "forced out" by two of her fellow employees, they should be able to elaborate on what "forced out" actually entails.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
my theory:

with all that's happening right now in playstation, and sony in general, they have been affected by some restructuring. canceling ssm's project, hennig getting fired, tretton stepping down, etc.

so how did neil and bruce get caught with hennig getting fired? probably because nd had to make a choice of having just one game/creative director handling two projects, so they fired hennig over druckman/straley combo, and probably straley didn't want to continue without druckman and vice versa. hennig also didn't want to go, but nd had to choose.

that's my two cents.

the fact is, hennig was fired. one of the uncharted 4 actors was upset about it as well.
One director for two projects would be nuts. Quality would suffer and that person would be burnt out as hell.

My personal guess is that both TLoU2 and the new IP idea they had got greenlighted and her proposal for another game got passed over.

Based on interviews and behind the scenes footage, the dialogue changes during the recording/mocap process sometimes, so I wouldn't say it is finalized. The overall story might have been complete, though. Unless they completely scrap the story and start over - we really have no idea how far into development they were (right?).

Changes are more due to actor improvisation than rewrites.

atr0cious

What is their incentive for lying about Straley and Druckmann not being involved?

The last thread had people talking about only buying used. You think Naughty Dog isn't reading that thread? Joelbanderas guys?

What's the incentive for IGN to post? Is more clicks really worth irreparable damage to their relationship with one of the best devs in the industry?

Everyone is so quick to confirm the negative. I'm not saying either side is right, but something happened for IGN, corporate ballwashers, to post not only NDs response, but keep their own article up and link to it.

Wereroku

Everyone saying that they should have come out and said why she was fired doesn't quite understand how all this works. They are not legally allowed to say anything about why she was fired or they could be sued for a great deal of money. The only possible explanation to this anyone can get is if Amy speaks about it herself. I will probably side with the presidents of the company when they say that they were responsible for her firing.

Demon Ice

Banned
Good, figured that was inflammatory and sensationalist. Kinda funny how many people believed it without a second thought. Same reason reality TV dramas are so successful I suppose.

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best
I wonder if her direction for Uncharted 4 didn't align with ND as a studio, now post-TLOU.

You mean they wanted to have competent stories in their games? ZING! No really, It just seems like she and ND didn't gel anymore? That happens. Not really a story.

Curufinwe

They wouldn't want the reputation of anyone at their company tarnished, especially those in a leadership position or the public eye.

I'm not saying one way or another that IGN or ND are lying, no side here.

Their own reputation will be severely tarnished if Straley and Druckman were behind it all and evidence of that emerges.

Either Staley and Druckman weren't involved, or the co-presidents of ND are telling a blatant lie that risks permanently damaging their reputation.

Shin-Ra

My exchange with Mitch from yesterday:

http://i.imgur.com/E00Tsi6.jpg

He promised to "dig further" but I notice that neither he nor IGN have updated the original article, and I informed them of this. Was unprofessional to begin with, and it's even more so to leave that kind of accusation up there. Right now it's the word of "their source" vs the word of Wells and Balestra.
Oh god not him again.

Capture_zps12deb238.jpg

6dmqHE2.png

Pretty sure he posted something else stupid at the time too.

labaronx

See, the question I have is what makes it our business what happened? This whole situation is pretty strange to me that people feel that Naughty Dog (or any developer) owes them an explanation as to why someone from their staff was let go.

At the end of the day it's clear that they felt she was not the right fit for the studio anymore, Naughty Dog has never given me any reason to believe what they say to be bullshit.

1million times this

injurai

Banned
I fail to see how why it matters whether or not the departure amicable and was proceeded by friction.

Seems things have been taken care of, or as they put it things change around high profile people. When they say that's the end of it I certainly agree.

So much use of the word transpired, I am now thinking of transpiration. Either way this smells bad, I just hope Amy finds a good home. C´mon Reggie, now give that lady a call!!!

Ding-Ding

Ugh... You must be really naive over how big businesses handle these situations.

There is no reason to believe IGN 100% but there is almost zero reason to believe anything coming out of Sony's camp. If Hennig is not talking, that means she was contractually obligated not to, which is not a good sign.

"contractually obligated not to"

What if she decides to speak out, what will they do, fire her a 2nd time?

Sorry but this is looking more like Amy was the guilty party and for me the silence proves that. Fired employees stay silent as its a great source of embarrassment and companies stay quiet unless they are totally vindictive and wish to harm any future job prospects.

Hell, a former colleague of mine was fired for embezzling over 25,000. No cops, no contact and everyone else was told to remain silent

Dr.Acula

Banned
How does their statement do that?

Someone reported that Straley and Druckmann forced an employee out (possible fodder for a wrongful/harassment suit) and they responded in their statement that "Bruce Straley and Neil Druckmann were NOT involved in what transpired."

Chances are all this stuff is wrapped up in an NDA sandwich, but then if this kind of stuff gets reported too often and not responded to, then ND gains a "public reputation" for this kind of stuff and it can bite them years down the road if Hennig or a future employee wants to make hay.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
That's true, but not always the case. If the writer/director feels a scene isn't working, they will have to rewrite/change the dialogue.

Yeah but that's more on the scene director as well as the writer and creative director. There are still ancillary writers there and the cutscene director hasn't changed.

teiresias

They can't exactly let their two remaining high profile figures - figures ND apparently, to some degree, picked over Hennig - be caught up in being seen as instrumental in getting one of the most talented and celebrated females working in the industry fired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom