• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Screw You All, I Love Sequels! aka What Franchise Games Do You Expect At NDS Launch?

GDGF

Soothsayer
...or near the launch. That'll work too. Hell, within the first 6 months if that's what makes you happy!

I'm expecting Mario 64X4 (natch)
Super Smash Bros DS (you know it's got to be in development)
Animal Crossing DS

...and...GDGF's wish list would include Starfox DS!

And to make this thread more interesting, in what way do you see the features of the DS being used in the titles you've given?

Go.

Grubdog

Banned
I want Pikmin DS where you control the pikmin individually with the touchscreen, or in a group by circling the pikmin you wish to select with the stylus. The other screen could maybe be a hidden camera type thingy where you can view Pikmin that would normally be out of sight, maybe by cyling through it to view different areas, and check that they're ok. Maybe it could even include a "whistle" voice recognition feature.

And i'd absolutely love a Pokemon game.

hobbitx

A 3d pokemon rpg update would totally kickass and probably would give pokemania a huge popularity jolt, I'm definitely hoping for this and not some coliseum rehash.

Anyways, I'm dying to play the Zelda DS game, I really hope it's something original and not some OoT port with a few extra features and gameplay modes.

On a final very wishful note, I really want to see Nintendo make some portable updates for their classic franchises, I'd love it to death if Nintendo revived their old "ACTION" line of games for the DS, a sports line would be great too.

Espio

Grubdog said:
I want Pikmin DS where you control the pikmin individually with the touchscreen, or in a group by circling the pikmin you wish to select with the stylus. The other screen could maybe be a hidden camera type thingy where you can view Pikmin that would normally be out of sight, maybe by cyling through it to view different areas, and check that they're ok. Maybe it could even include a "whistle" voice recognition feature.

And i'd absolutely love a Pokemon game.

Great idea, Pikmin could work very, very well.

A Pokemon DS launch title would just be grand, and if Nintendo can think up a way to really give even more life to the series it could have the DS selling like hotcakes.

Personally what I'd love to see Nintendo do is make the battles 3-D maybe Pokemon Stadium quality would work. I think they should keep the 2-D style for their out of battle sequences (How about they just make it look like F/L/Ru/Sa but with 3-d elements, textures, etc. Maybe even isometric views would be okay, but no full 3-D I don't want to style of games to stray too far). Also, I think the DS can give the series a chance to produce something the anime has always had but the games lacked. Fast battles. While most pokemon battles in the game don't take a few turns depending on the easy, I think a nice real time or semi-real time battle system would really give the series a kick in the pants. Top screen shows the battle, bottom screen gives you a list of basic commands and attacks to choose witht he stylus to do on the fly. Voice recognition stuff may work too, I can't see kids getting a kick out of actually calling out to the pokemon they want to bring out, or order it. These little things could keep what is truely great about the series (collecting, battling, colorful monsters, communication through trading and battling) while introducing some new elements that I think would really make the series even more popular.

Anywho, the question was what was to be expected at launch... I would put m money on Animal Crossing, Wario Ware, Metroid, SM64x4, and perhaps Super Mario Bros. And the rest of the E3 games to follow suit not long after hopefully. Personally I'm waiting to hear more about the games announced around E3 (FFCC, Viewtiful Joe, etc). Plus I'm crossing my fingers for new titles to be announced soon or at least the beginnings of a project, like Four Swords, Starfox, Pokemon, Mario Party, and any other fun multiplayer games that could use an online aspect.

jarrod

Banned
Out of what's been announced, I'm only expecting Super Mario 64x4 and Wario Ware, Inc, DS at launch. Picto Chat will be bundled with the unit (maybe even integrated with the hardware) and Animal Crossing will be a December release. Mario Kart DS and Metroid Prime: Hunters will be spring releases, to combat PSP's launch. New Super Mario Bros and Nintendogs were way early, they'll probably be fall 2005 games. Zelda will be a Christmas 2005 release.

As far as specific announced 3rd party games...

2004:
-Bomberman DS (Hudson) published by Konami here
-Dragon Ball Z (Banpresto) published by Atari here
-Dynasty Warriors DS (Koei/Omega Force)
-Frogger 2005 (Konami/KCES)
-Pac n' Roll (Namco/Nintendo)
-Pac-Pix (Namco) I think Namco might combine the two Pac-Man games actually
-Need for Speed (Electronic Arts)
-Rayman (UbiSoft) probably a Rayman 2 port, maybe with multiplayer
-Spider-Man 2 (Activision/Vicarious Visions)
-SpongeBob SquarePants (THQ)
-Ultimate Games (TeleGames/Cosmigo)
-Yu-Gi-Oh! Nightmare Troubador (Konami/KCEJ)

1st half 2005
-Cerulean Dreams (tba/Mezco)
-Egg Monster Hero (Square Enix)
-Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles (Square Enix) Nintendo might publish this
-Gyakuten Saiban (Capcom) maybe a US release?
-One Piece (Bandai) same?
-Megaman Battle Network (Capcom)
-Mobile Suit Gundam Seed (Bandai)
-Monster Rancher (Tecmo)
-Mr Driller (Namco/Driller Project) I think Namco Hometek will take the risk this time
-Sonic DS (Sega/Sonic Team) expect them to drop the "rub" mechanic
-Viewtiful Joe DS (Capcom/Clover Studio)

jarrod

Banned
Gunsmoke said:
Betcha they keep it.
Maybe as a minigame/bonus round mechanic but I think it's out for the main game. The E3 reaction was pretty negative towards it... I think Sonic DS will end up modeled more after the Adventure games.

Dyne

I just want Animal Crossing DS. Screw everything else. :) Though a Pokemon game COULD be neat down the line.

EDIT: Oh wait. Give me Fire Emblem with full DS capabilities.

At launch I fully expect Wario Ware DS, and I'm certain Nintendo will have either Mario Kart or Mario 64X4 ready as well. I also expect EA to get NFSU:2 and maybe one other game ready. Konami's Yugioh game will likely make it, along with Bomberman DS I'd guess. Pictochat will either be built in to the unit or Nintendo will give it away to developers as a way to communicate in all multiplay games. Metroid Prime Hunters could make it if it doesn't have a singleplayer mode, I think, as well.

Square has publicly said they're getting Egg Monster Hero ready for DS launch and I'd expect that. I think Gundam Seed may likely make it and possibly the Sonic game as well. I wouldn't be surprised by any stretch to see Pac Pix and Pac 'n Roll in some sort of Namco Pac-ilation game at launch either.

Should be a really nice launch lineup actually.

Top Bottom