• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ScrewAttack's Top 10 Franchises That Need To Die

Foffy

Banned
Sonic Generations redeemed Sonic.
If this list was made right after Unleashed was released id'a said hell yeah Sonic needs to die(Werehog really).

But Generations went back to basics, no silly gimmicks just straight up Sonic lovin
Heck i enjoyed pretty much every Modern Sonic stage....the bosses werent that good but everything else about the game was lovely.

What's crazy is Sega keeps making games that are borderline awful that give people more than enough ammo to say the series is still in a dark age (Sonic Free Riders and the Sonic 4 series).

Amagon

Screwattack is still around? Was a big fan of their site years ago but got tired of their bullshit antics. None of their videos are even appealing anymore. Without the association of AVGN, they would of ran out of business a long time ago.

Foffy

Banned
Screwattack is still around? Was a big fan of their site years ago but got tired of their bullshit antics. None of their videos are even appealing anymore. Without the association of AVGN, they would of ran out of business a long time ago.

I believe they now have a subscription service and own a store..

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Whoooooo Boy...

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/top-10-screwattack/729505

10. Angry Birds

9. Dynasty Warriors

8. Lego Series

7. Call of Duty

6. Dragon Ball Z

DDR

4. Kingdom Hearts

3. Madden

2. Final Fantasy

1. Halo

They had me till number one...

AndHereWeGo.gif
No arguments here.

CamHostage

Actually don't have a problem with any of these except for maybe Halo, which hasn't had enough games to really be, "OMG THIS SERIES NEEDS TO DIE."

They're all good franchises too, even if the financial plan behind many of them is as greedy as it gets in gaming.

The only one I'd say should "die" though, is Halo. Not because of quality (I'm not a huge FPS player but I absolutely recognize quality in this series,) but because the master craftsmen behind this series have moved on. Gaming doesn't have many success stories of franchises continuing on under new designers. Even when great designers have been contracted and passion runs high, some luster seems to have been lost at best and at worst everything great goes sour. I don't even think of gaming much as an auteur medium, it's not like "only the mighty geniuses at Bungie could make a Halo," but when the guys who have been making a game series for 10 years know to step away it's more often than not the smart move to make for everybody involved. Hats off to 343i if they pull it off though, they'll be in rare air.

Amagon

I believe they now have a subscription service and own a store..
A subscription service, really? LOL! I knew they had a store but what I shoud of said is that their relevency nowadays is pretty low which I forget myself that they even existed.

Foffy

Banned
I thought I heard of them having their own convention too.

But yeah, I'm not a fan of theirs.

They had that first. Then they bought a store, and then have some packaged service where you pay a fee and it goes to exclusive content to one of the content providers to Screwattack. I have no idea how many people paid for that sort of thing, I can only hope not many.

Dueck

Banned
The fact that Call of Duty isn't #1 sort of ruins the validity of the list. It's like they're championing date rapists at this point.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Guys, if you don't play games in a "franchise" that franchise is dead in your own little reality.

yep. for example, the last silent hill game ever made was the room. ended on a bit of a low point but hey, at least they knew when to quit!

Final Fantasy is a classic series, it doesn't need to end per se, it's just lost it's way and needs a *gulp* reboot of some sort.

List without Sonic and Nintendo, really? Sonic has been running on nostalgia fumes for well over a decade, and rose-tinteds are the only reason he hasn't been asigned a burial plot next to Alex Kidd in the Sega graveyard.

Nintendo's franchises don't need to "die" either, but they do need a good kick in the pants on a lot of fronts. Zelda is about as epic as a box of cereal and Animal Crossing needs to jump into the 21st century and become some huge sandbox/town building/social hub of cuteness.

I avoid watching their shit but I assume it's still vague poorly written description followed by a random meme picture then the whole thing but on rotation.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I have to agree with Number 1. Never was a big fan of this series.

SmithnCo

Their Halo reasoning is pretty lame. "We finished the fight so even if 4 is amazing this series should still die." What?

Also the COD bit was immensely annoying.

Zimbardo

i thought the Halo campaigns were good at one time, but they have really gotten kinda old hat for me these days.

i never cared for the Halo multiplayer either.

i wouldn't care about any of those games taking an extended break from the scene.

Ledsen

I don't think HALO needs to die, because that would imply I want the team to work on another game instead. I don't, because their games aren't very good.

Mr_Zombie

Final Fantasy? Why?
Isn't each game (apart from the obvious sequels) a separate game with its own universes, characters and story? So what's the point of it "dying"?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Final Fantasy? Why?
Isn't each game (apart from the obvious sequels) a separate game with its own universes, characters and story? So what's the point of it "dying"?

S-E has done a progressively worse job with each new entry, or so the common wisdom goes.

Nose Master

DDR, really? Yeah, I can't fucking walk down a retail store without seeing dance mats clogging the shelves.

KH is finally getting to be pretty good gameplay wise. Final Fantasy shouldn't even count because of the lack of continuity (barring the -2's.) Would it make a difference if they called Final Fantasy 15 something else? It's basically "hey idiots, this is an RPG" at this point.

ScrewAttack is still the worst.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
That list is pretty horrible, I guess it doesn't help that the bulk of Franchises that needed to die actually did in the past few years.

I think the last big series that I thought really needed to stop being made was Tony Hawk. And Activision finally did it. (Though they are porting the first few games, but I don't know if that counts)

UrbanRats

I never got this complaint either.
Can't you just.. not play it? Unless that particular franchise is an obstacle to something else, for some reason (Say MGS to Zoe.. and that's pretty thin, too) but otherwise it just seems selfish, to me, to hope for such a thing.
I don't give a shit about DW games, but they can make 400 a year, for all i care, as long as someone in the world can enjoy them.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Final Fantasy is a classic series, it doesn't need to end per se, it's just lost it's way and needs a *gulp* reboot of some sort.

It reboots itself with every (main) entry. It's not like it has one continuing story or even gameplay. Who knows what FFXV is going to be like?

Also, the list: KH? Come on, it can't die before they release the mythical KHIII. :<

Top Bottom