• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ScrewAttack's Top 10 Franchises That Need To Die

I know only one member of SA and he seems to fulfill all of the stereotypes of that place. I wouldn't be surprised if he wrote that list. Dude loves lists...

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
Many of those are VERY long in the tooth. But Angry Birds? Space was a great little game. I hope to see more of that type from Rovio after sitting on the traditional AB for so long.

Final Fantasy...I'm not so irritated about. It's not like we see one every year, and they are all pretty different from one another. So not a big issue for me at all.

I think a lot of series need to die, but who am I to say that? If fans are still buying Dynasty Warriors after all these years, they must like something about it--and you aren't going to change their mind no matter your criticisms. So to each their own.

I can't think of any series that has a ton of installments that I truly love. There must be something I'm forgetting. Elder Scrolls is one, but that's only 5 core installments. Mario is a big series but I'm not ga-ga about it anymore. I guess I play more original games these days instead of follow long established series?

The list is a weird premise.
X needs to die? X has a userbase either growing, shrinking or stable. Why does it need to die if someone involved wants to make and there are people who want to play it?

It's a very "the world has to be my way and full of things I like right now only! WAAAHH" childish mindset.

I know only one member of SA and he seems to fulfill all of the stereotypes of that place. I wouldn't be surprised if he wrote that list. Dude loves lists...
Fucking cold.
I've been thinking the same thing.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Halo is number one and COD is 7? Wth

Halo & CoD would be tied at #1 for me

FF... Well... I don't want it to die until... well.. I'll let FF vs 13 decide it =3

---

From a comment on GT said:
#1 Gaylo. 100% FULLY AGREED.
All others are not as important to get rid of. But this generic space shooter single-handedly nearly destroyed the FPSs, ..........

Oh my

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I don't feel strongly either way about any of the franchises listed.

ScrewAttack is really terrible. It's exemplary of that kind of "edgy" "tell-it-like-it-is" brand of humour that is big on local radio stations. They rarely actually make a deeper point about the things they're talking about. I don't particularly like their narration voices. The subjects they pick are invariably click-bait stuff (no, I didn't watch the video, I'm not a part of the problem).

I've always been amazed that they get quite as much oxygen as they do. There are so many great examples of classic gaming content on the web, both text-based and video-based, that I'm really surprised that people fall for them. Can someone give an example of a really good piece of their work? Like, a particular video that shows them offer some original insight on a particular game?

I'm also a little weirded out at the misdirected anger at GameTrailers. They do host ScrewAttack, but there's no editorial overlap. It's not hypocritical for GameTrailers to give these games high scores. GameTrailers has nothing to do with ScrewAttack.

Orayn

The list is a weird premise.
X needs to die? X has a userbase either growing, shrinking or stable. Why does it need to die if someone involved wants to make and there are people who want to play it?

It's a very "the world has to be my way and full of things I like right now only! WAAAHH" childish mindset.

Pretty much. The notion that something should stop being made just because you don't personally enjoy it is what I'd expect out of GameFAQs or 4chan's /v/ on a bad day, but here you have "games journalism" doing the same thing. It's disgraceful.

I'm also a little weirded out at the misdirected anger at GameTrailers. They do host ScrewAttack, but there's no editorial overlap. It's not hypocritical for GameTrailers to give these games high scores. GameTrailers has nothing to do with ScrewAttack.
No Editorial Overlap? I'm sure I've heard Whatever Todd or whoever from ScrewAttack doing the VA in Gametrailers reviews.

Japanese DDR HAS been dead for years and it honestly needs to come back. Bring back all that fantastic Japanese-style Eurobeat and monumental (with a dash of cheese) electronic music.

What needs to die is the new American-ized DDR, that nobody really knows exists besides Western non-gamers, so you get people in here saying "I thought it was dead?"

After DanceEvolution/DanceMasters failed for Bemani/Naoki Maeda, maybe a return to real (Japanese) DDR is in tune.

I don't understand the Halo hate. Every single iteration of the franchise has brought something unique or at least an interesting twist to the formula -- which is pretty unique to begin with in the current landscape of First Person Shooters.

I don't feel strongly either way about any of the franchises listed.

ScrewAttack is really terrible. It's exemplary of that kind of "edgy" "tell-it-like-it-is" brand of humour that is big on local radio stations. They rarely actually make a deeper point about the things they're talking about. I don't particularly like their narration voices. The subjects they pick are invariably click-bait stuff (no, I didn't watch the video, I'm not a part of the problem).

I've always been amazed that they get quite as much oxygen as they do. There are so many great examples of classic gaming content on the web, both text-based and video-based, that I'm really surprised that people fall for them. Can someone give an example of a really good piece of their work? Like, a particular video that shows them offer some original insight on a particular game?

I guess they get so much oxygen because their stuff is pretty much next to the AVGN's, who's obviously the life source of that group.

With that said, I am really astonished that this thread is still going so strongly. ._.

When was the last DDR?

Last November iirc.

themadcowtipper

Smells faintly of rancid stilton.
Looks like a list of popular games that screw attack is too elite to play. The last few lego games especially Pirates and HP have been great. More unlockables then your average game

PowderedToast

can't believe i'm responding legitimately to a screwattack piece but... why does FF need to die? they refresh the creative team almost every time and none of the numbered entries are linked in fiction. it's the antithesis of sequelitis. it's true that series staples exist but in every other way it's a modern anomaly.

UrbanRats

Say whaat?!
Like Ridley said, Bully 2 is not confirmed, but i remember R* talking about it with interest (the team behind Max Payne 3 is the one behind Bully 1) but they first wanted them to work on MP3.
RDR2 is practically a given, not only cause it sold more than 10mln copies, but also because they said they are very interested in the franchise.
They also said they are interested in continuing LA Noire, for what it's worth.

Anyhow, GTAV is from Rockstar North, which is from Scotland.
RDR is from R* San Diego.
Bully/Max Payne 3 is from R* Vancouver (if i'm not wrong).

So they don't really overlap, to be seen who's going to work on the LA Noire franchise, since Team Bondi never really became R* Sidney.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Needs more Tony Hawk and Assassin's Creed. Totally agreed with #1 and a decent portion of the list at least.

Like Ridley said, Bully 2 is not confirmed, but i remember R* talking about it with interest (the team behind Max Payne 3 is the one behind Bully 1) but they first wanted them to work on MP3.
RDR2 is practically a given, not only cause it sold more than 10mln copies, but also because they said they are very interested in the franchise.

So they don't really overlap, to be seen who's going to work on the LA Noire franchise, since Team Bondi never really became R* Sidney.

I like your thinking.

Any Rockstar franchise is generally gold, never really played Max Payne though.
I would like an LA Noire style game set in a different era, although of course it would kind of defeat the point of it being 40's noir. That said, the concept of playing on the side of the police for once is pretty appealing.

RDR set in early days of the "Wild West", and Bully set in College please.

Also, as for Halo, at least it doesn't have annual releases.

Aguirre

what?! scotland?! i knew r* had a studio in scotland, but i didn't know that is where GTA V is being made. damn

jorgeton

That list is a total troll for hits. #10 alone raises my wtf flag, Angry Birds has only been around for a couple of years, hardly a long-running series. Anyway, yeah, dumb list.

ElRenoRaven

I never got this complaint either.
Can't you just.. not play it? Unless that particular franchise is an obstacle to something else, for some reason (Say MGS to Zoe.. and that's pretty thin, too) but otherwise it just seems selfish, to me, to hope for such a thing.
I don't give a shit about DW games, but they can make 400 a year, for all i care, as long as someone in the world can enjoy them.

Yup. There are several franchises I don't like so I don't play them or talk about them. I have no issue with any game existing even if I do hate it. That's the beauty of this planet we live on. There is something for everyone.

But on a more serious note. Why no Mario? Huh? Huh? JUST KIDDING!

jaypah

Lolwow, bait list indeed. But DDR is crazy. I mean it's barely a thing now. Might as well throw pong on the list because I'm so tired of all the recent pong games man!

what?! scotland?! i knew r* had a studio in scotland, but i didn't know that is where GTA V is being made. damn

Dude, that's where every GTA was made. All the numbered games (including the GTAIII Trilogy) were developed at Rockstar North. Well, they were still called DMA Design when making GTA but they're the same studio.

It's the reason the satire in GTA is so good- you can't trust Americans to be that stinging about their own culture, and goodness knows the Scottish and English are good at taking the piss out of things.

Meh. I can understand franchises that need to die that aren't profitable, but keep being made and preventing other successful IPs from popping up. But, a lot of people who celebrate niche games and fresh IPs (ie, Mirrors Edge), while ripping on something like Madden forget that Mirrors Edge can only be made because of hand-over-fist profits from something like Madden. Consistent development window, consistent profits, and it subsidizes games with inconsistent windows and risky profits.

I would put a series like Need for Speed on this list. A great series, but it doesn't sell that well anymore, and each title is pretty iterative.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Dude, that's where every GTA was made. All the numbered games (including the GTAIII Trilogy) were developed at Rockstar North. Well, they were still called DMA Design when making GTA but they're the same studio.

It's the reason the satire in GTA is so good- you can't trust Americans to be that stinging about their own culture, and goodness knows the Scottish and English are good at taking the piss out of things.

tw@

WallJump

Banned
All the Sonic hate on the first page made me chuckle a bit because the last couple games are actually good and getting better. They don't take themselves so seriously anymore, which I think is a big reason most of the games on that list are up there.

Degen

Guys

Guysguysguysguysguys

joke video

Gonna be honest, though: I have no idea what the difference is between one Dynasty Warriors game and any other.

Also, should've taken a shot at WWE, but THQ is hurting enough I guess

Sqorgar

Banned
If people actually bothered to buy the non-Musou games that Omega Force puts out (WinBack, Bladestorm, Trinity: Souls of Zil'Oll - all amazing) then maybe we would start seeing more of those games instead of Dynasty Warriors.

I love Dynasty Warriors, but man, what a different world we would live in if WinBack had gotten yearly sequels instead.

Top Bottom