• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ScrewAttack's Top 10 Franchises That Need To Die

Bo130

Which game would be there? Mario Kart? Pretty much the only one I could see. Or maybe the NSMB series if you're tired of that style.

Oh wait, the Mama series needs to die actually. But that's not internally developed.

What about Animal Crossing?

Raide

All old games need to die, so we can birth some new games...and then let them die slightly afterwards. Circle of life!

Salsa

I agree with everything, come at me.

Except DDR wtf? that needs to come back

edit: and i guess i dont agree with KH since i just want 3 already.

Kabouter

I disagree on Madden, because that wouldn't make sense, unless they stopped playing American Football, and I don't see any such greatness happening any time soon. Other than that though, good list. Can't remember the last time a game in one of these franchises surprised me in a positive way.

Did they just say that the people on 343 didn't seem passionate about Halo?

This list was incredibly Absurd. Like, what's the problem with DDR? It's a niche and it doesn't hurt any part of the industry.

TheOddOne

I disagree on Madden, because that wouldn't make sense, unless they stopped playing American Football, and I don't see any such greatness happening any time soon. Other than that though, good list. Can't remember the last time a game in one of these franchises surprised me in a positive way.
I disagree, because there is no real pattern in their reasoning to the list. What is the criteria? Franchise fatigue? To many people talking about it? To many releases? It seems all over the place and sounds more like a troll list to bait for more hits.

I can understand people wanting a series to "die" if they like the developer of the game but not that particular series. There are plenty of studios that have switched genre completely, so its only natural that fans of certain franchises won't follow the developers to others.

I would say personally anything beyond a "3" is fair game, especially if the developer is stuck only developing that particular series.

Which just so happens to not be the case with Halo at the moment, but might be again at some stage in the future.

Replace DDR and Final Fantasy with Zelda and Mario and you've got yourself a dang good list. Oh, and shift Call of Duty to the number 1 spot.

-KRS-

Replace DDR and Final Fantasy with Zelda and Mario and you've got yourself a dang good list. Oh, and shift Call of Duty to the number 1 spot.

Zelda I'll agree with, but Mario? Mario is still good. I mean Zelda is also good, but it has definitely lost some of it's charm. They need to do something drastic to that series. But Mario just keeps on giving man.

except for NSMB which even I'm tired of now

Sardello

Best chart in Videogame History

GolfClap.gif

BY2K

Membero Americo
I don't get what they were going for at the Call of Duty part.

We're they serious? "It's popular so it's the cool thing to hate."? "TROLOLOLOLOLOLO"

What was the message? "It needs to die." or "Suck it haters!"?

Monocle

Every Halo game has been at worst above average and it needs to die? Final Fantasy has been less than stellar since, when, the last couple releases maybe, and it needs to die? Whatever.

What we have here is one more in a long line of mediocre game sites trolling for hits.

Salsa

Final Fantasy, but not Sonic? Really now.

I think the numbering factor really hurts FF in this way, while i dont have an issue with it (id hate for the games to all have subtitles considering the nonsense Squeenix names their games) it makes it all the more tiring and redundant to see a fuckin 13 after your game's name.

Endo Punk

If Metal Gear where to die, then Kojima could finally go do something interesting again.

Im cool with MGS taking a break of like 10 years. I really want Kojima to create another franchise as big if not bigger than MGS, I'll even prefer a remake of Snatcher or a ZOE3 than another MGS game from Kojima. It's good that he has nothing to do with Rising though.

Why should FF end? SE seems to be improving XIV based on feedback, and XIII-2 fixed many of the major criticisms with XIII. The potential for the franchise to reinvent itself is there. The hand held FFs are successful too.

I think the numbering factor really hurts FF in this way, while i dont have an issue with it (id hate for the games to all have subtitles considering the nonsense Squeenix names their games) it makes it all the more tiring and redundant to see a fuckin 13 after your game's name.

Well there's not only the main series but also the spin-offs (Tactics, Dissidia, CC), remakes and numberception installments (X-2, XIII-2, Dirge of Cerberus, etc.).

I can see why people would get over-saturated by Final Fantasy games, but frankly, there's worse out there.

Ah, the only reason they didn't include Sonic is because they're probably getting bored of laughing at all the little idiots flooding their mailbox with moronic complaints every time they say something negative about that franchise. You can only beat that dead horse so many times until it's not even fun anymore.

Riposte

If Final Fantasy titles tire you, I imagine the Superbowl and Olympics makes you faint.

Eusis

If Final Fantasy titles tire you, I imagine the Superbowl and Olympics makes you faint.
Those aren't part of an ongoing creative work, not unless you REALLY stretch it. Still, it's pretty much more like a new game that sort of loosely follows what the series has been about, from X onwards it's been WAY more divergent and loose, and it wasn't like IV-IX were all that formulaic compared to other series!

I'd feel like CoD deserves the top spot there, but to be honest it's more I wish it was JUST successful, not grossly successful. I can recognize the appeal there, don't feel they should be kept from people, and even enjoy them, but I hate the grossly disproportionate influence it's been having over the industry. More and more companies seem to hold its success as THE ideal to strive to, and that's resulted in some dubious design calls (though on the more benign side we have the marketing angles for Arkham City and Skyrim, which I actually liked, but that seems to go after the "CoD base" in a more abstract way than I can fully get.) Admittedly CoD gives off the impression it's a bubble waiting to burst, I don't see it having the spectacular crash that Guitar Hero had but it might have a fading from relevance more akin to something like FF, or at least have another game rise up and be THE smash hit that GTA and Halo were seen as prior to it. Or perhaps there won't be one of those, it'll just drop in sales until it's closer to GTA and Halo rather than some Mario games after they're out for a few years.

well these franchises don't need to die if people want to play them but i'm glad that studios like bungie are finally moving on and give their franchises to 2nd grade studios.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I like the list, its a pretty good equal opportunity troll.

Not to be taken at all seriously though.

RooMHM

Agree with everything but Madden. They just need to make more changes every year. One Fifa every year works pretty well for the moment (we'll see the next few years).

Kingdom Hearts need to die because you can't understand the plot?

And Lego series needs to die because... damn them for providing family fun for years! No, no, no. The Lego series will not die before I get Lego LotR. LEGO LOTR.

lego-lotr-2.jpg

Look at that. Look at it. Isn't your inner child doing jumprope?!

Metal B

I can understand Dragon Ball Z and Kingdom Hearts.

Dragon Ball Z is a finished series, which somehow still existed in the Videogame World. There are around 70! games of this series and only a very few of them are actually good. There is just nothing new to encounter here and the series already went in all possible directions (RPG, Adventure, Beat n'up, Fighting, MMO, Dance Central). Let it go Japan, let it go ...

Kingdom Hearts is another problem. I personally loved the first game, but since the second game the devolpers lost the focused of the series. What was originally about Disney charakters and worlds with a Final Fantasy Story to connect them, centered it self too much about this story. The problem is that the story of the first Kingdom Hearts was never so complex, but somehow they overthought it and create overthought stoties of already overthought stories. Today its a mess, that only few understand, because you need all games from all different platforms to get the whole picture. Just release Kingdom Hearts 3 and end the madness finally ... (And i hate that they changed the defensive gameplay into a much more offensive one)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Seeing Lego listed almost sounds like they are saying "FUCK KIDS. Gaming is for us mature adults only".

Fjordson

I'd feel like CoD deserves the top spot there, but to be honest it's more I wish it was JUST successful, not grossly successful. I can recognize the appeal there, don't feel they should be kept from people, and even enjoy them, but I hate the grossly disproportionate influence it's been having over the industry. More and more companies seem to hold its success as THE ideal to strive to, and that's resulted in some dubious design calls (though on the more benign side we have the marketing angles for Arkham City and Skyrim, which I actually liked, but that seems to go after the "CoD base" in a more abstract way than I can fully get.) Admittedly CoD gives off the impression it's a bubble waiting to burst, I don't see it having the spectacular crash that Guitar Hero had but it might have a fading from relevance more akin to something like FF, or at least have another game rise up and be THE smash hit that GTA and Halo were seen as prior to it. Or perhaps there won't be one of those, it'll just drop in sales until it's closer to GTA and Halo rather than some Mario games after they're out for a few years.
Yeah, I don't see it crashing as hard as Guitar Hero. More of a slow fade unless they can bring in another game that's as fresh as CoD 4 was in its time.

Though to your last point, I don't know if getting closer to GTA would be that much of a drop for the franchise. As of last year, IV had sold over 22 million copies.

GeoramA

Well, if FFXV is like FFXII or Xenoblade and they put KH back on consoles, I would probably start giving a shit about those franchises again.

Feindflug

Popular games are dumb, obviously. The inclusion of Angry Birds tells you everything you need to know about that site.

And why do these franchises need to die? I can ignore Dynasty Warriors just fine. Release a new game each month for all I care.

Exactly this...why would anyone want any series to die? especially franchises like Kingdom Hearts, FF, CoD & Halo, you don't like them? don't buy these games.

Such a stupid video that's being made just for hits especially by putting at no.1 Halo...also wtf at some comments at this thread like 343 being a second grade studio & people wanting FPS games to die just because they can't play them. seriously?

hemo memo

Gold Member
maybe they can see the future and they know halo franchise will be ruined after bunge.. they want the perfect end for the series.. mass effect 3 ending say hi.

I don't really agree with or care about the list, even if there's only ONE franchise I actually like listed, but not listing Sonic? Really? REALLY?

I liked when it starts and it explains well why angry birds needs to die as a franchise. Not because it needs more sequels, but becuase we are talking here about a plushes, merchandise, a cartoon, a movie and even a fucking theme park ride... based on a fucking flash game.

Nintendo doesnt have a theme park when is the fucking Disney of videogames, why would Angry Birds need a fucking ride? What would it be, a simultion jumpee rope or some shit like that? A Tiki Room copy cat with no personality adding some pigs? It doesnt make sense!
As an Imagineer wanna be I would facepalm the industry if this shit is made.

Apart form that, the list falls apart with the explanations and the games just as it enters number 9. Is stupid.

Top Bottom