• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scribblenauts Preview/Impressions Thread - You will say "wow." (see post #217)

Feep said:
I had played all the big titles at E3. Private showings of God of War III, Heavy Rain, Alan Wake. But at 4:00 on Thursday, I was wandering around the show floor, wondering what else I had to see. I saw a small little booth for "Scribblenauts!" in the Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment section. I mean, who goes to that booth? But I remember hearing about it on GAF, and so I decided to check it out.

Best game of E3? Without a fucking doubt. Anyone who says otherwise did not play Scribblenauts. Best game of all time? Jesus Christ, I don't know, maybe. It's a game that challenges your IMAGINATION. No other game has ever done that.

So listen to this story. I was in the early levels; I didn't quite have an idea of how ridiculously in-depth the database was. I was summoning things like ladders, glasses of water, rayguns, what have you. But I reached a level with zombie robots, and the zombie robots kept killing me. Rayguns didn't work, a torch didn't work, a pickaxe didn't work. In my frustration, I wrote in "Time Machine". And one popped up. What the fuck? A smile dawned on my face. I hopped in, and the option was given to me to either travel to the past or the future. I chose past. When I hopped out, there were fucking dinosaurs walking around. I clicked one, and realized I could RIDE THEM. So I hopped on a fucking DINOSAUR, traveled back to the present, and stomped the shit out of robot zombies. Did you just read that sentence? Did you really? I FUCKING TRAVELED THROUGH TIME AND JUMPED ON A DINOSAUR AND USED IT TO KILL MOTHERFUCKING ROBOT ZOMBIES. This game is unbelievable. Impossible. There's nothing you can't do.

Holy fucking shit.

Just got into this thread now, and seriously, I'm buying this game.

I've packed away all 3 of my DS', but once this game releases, I'm going to go and buy THIS and a DSi to go with it.

Take my money you motherfuckers, take it and laugh, laugh like you're eating cake.

DrBo42

Feep said:
I had played all the big titles at E3. Private showings of God of War III, Heavy Rain, Alan Wake. But at 4:00 on Thursday, I was wandering around the show floor, wondering what else I had to see. I saw a small little booth for "Scribblenauts!" in the Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment section. I mean, who goes to that booth? But I remember hearing about it on GAF, and so I decided to check it out.

Best game of E3? Without a fucking doubt. Anyone who says otherwise did not play Scribblenauts. Best game of all time? Jesus Christ, I don't know, maybe. It's a game that challenges your IMAGINATION. No other game has ever done that.

So listen to this story. I was in the early levels; I didn't quite have an idea of how ridiculously in-depth the database was. I was summoning things like ladders, glasses of water, rayguns, what have you. But I reached a level with zombie robots, and the zombie robots kept killing me. Rayguns didn't work, a torch didn't work, a pickaxe didn't work. In my frustration, I wrote in "Time Machine". And one popped up. What the fuck? A smile dawned on my face. I hopped in, and the option was given to me to either travel to the past or the future. I chose past. When I hopped out, there were fucking dinosaurs walking around. I clicked one, and realized I could RIDE THEM. So I hopped on a fucking DINOSAUR, traveled back to the present, and stomped the shit out of robot zombies. Did you just read that sentence? Did you really? I FUCKING TRAVELED THROUGH TIME AND JUMPED ON A DINOSAUR AND USED IT TO KILL MOTHERFUCKING ROBOT ZOMBIES. This game is unbelievable. Impossible. There's nothing you can't do.

Holy fucking shit.

I haven't said "What the fuck?" this loud since my mom left me a voicemail about macaws out of nowhere. Brilliant.

Blizzard

Banned
Wait, so one $30 cart will let us use all those languages at ONCE? Or do you have to select it when you boot the game? Either way, that's awesome. I might use this to practice some Spanish...

felipeko

As if 10,000 words in the English language weren’t enough for the developers to deal with, Gavoni revealed that the North American build of the game will include Brazilian Portugeuse, French, and Spanish as well as English. The French and Spanish language sets will also have Latin American and French-Canadian alternatives.
This is truly awesome. As a Brazilian, i really want to support this game, even not having a DS yet. Think i'm gonna pre-order it on play asia for my friend.

jepense

xfactor said:
weird they says god wins over death. random battle result or something?
Well, they mention the Devil, but anyway, the battles don't seem to be decided beforehand. The creatures seem to have certain strengths and some attacks are obviously strong against certain things (like a wooden stave vs. a vampire) but other than that the characters just battle until one dies. The setting, previous damage, first attack, available equipment etc. will likely affect the outcome if neither combatant is overpowered. (Just guessing here though.)

Edit: you edited!

Feep

Banned
Jackson said:
The time machine takes you to different times, but it's random. I've actually said this in this very thread earlier. :) That's the only difference between feeps account and reality.
Yeah, I must have confused a contextual action from something I was holding as "the future". My bad. = (

Jackson said:
The time machine takes you to different times, but it's random. I've actually said this in this very thread earlier. :) That's the only difference between feeps account and reality.

Ah, guess I missed that. Thanks dude.

As if 10,000 words in the English language weren’t enough for the developers to deal with, Gavoni revealed that the North American build of the game will include Brazilian Portugeuse, French, and Spanish as well as English. The French and Spanish language sets will also have Latin American and French-Canadian alternatives.

Heh, I swear everyone makes that mistake. It's not 10,000 words...it's tens of thousands!

Good read, though

Vitet

As a musician, I was wondering...

What about pentagram? Do? Re? Chord? They are abstract but can be seen on a concrete score :p

What about different instruments in the same family? Alto Sax-Baritone Sax? Bass Clarinet?

So many questions :D

Vitet said:
As a musician, I was wondering...

What about pentagram? Do? Re? Chord? They are abstract but can be seen on a concrete score :p

What about different instruments in the same family? Alto Sax-Baritone Sax? Bass Clarinet?

So many questions :D

Pentagram will probably give you something different than you expect.
As for instruments, if they have different species of cats and dinosaurs, I can't see why they wouldn't have different instruments.

Tntnnbltn

AceBandage said:
Though, contextually, it doesn't make sense that death can beat God.
It does if you view it from the perspective of death is inevitable.

Edit: Oh god, this game has to have "immovable object" and "irresistible force", even if they don't match the usual noun rules.

Vitet

AceBandage said:
Pentagram will probably give you something different than you expect.
As for instruments, if they have different species of cats and dinosaurs, I can't see why they wouldn't have different instruments.

Sorry I was thinking in Spanish XD
I mean staff
but it has more than one meaning too
:lol

xfactor

Banned
jepense said:
Well, they mention the Devil, but anyway, the battles don't seem to be decided beforehand. The creatures seem to have certain strengths and some attacks are obviously strong against certain things (like a wooden stave vs. a vampire) but other than that the characters just battle until one dies. The setting, previous damage, first attack, available equipment etc. will likely affect the outcome if neither combatant is overpowered. (Just guessing here though.)

Edit: you edited!

lol. I realised I misread devil as death after I posted that :p

jepense

xfactor said:
lol. I realised I misread devil as death after I posted that :p
Yeah, but the same goes for the much debated pirate vs. ninja. We have a report stating that a pirate won and a report claiming ninja victory. Apparently the two are equally matched and the environment (or luck) decides the winner. :D

In the first 4 comments like 3 of them were either calling him a nerd or gaffers nerds. I imagine that had something to do with removing it.

SirPenguin said:
In the first 4 comments like 3 of them were either calling him a nerd or gaffers nerds. I imagine that had something to do with removing it.
Then shouldn't he have just removed comments? Wii Will Rock U, just make it private and PM us the link. ;)

The Hermit

felipeko said:
As if 10,000 words in the English language weren’t enough for the developers to deal with, Gavoni revealed that the North American build of the game will include Brazilian Portugeuse, French, and Spanish as well as English. The French and Spanish language sets will also have Latin American and French-Canadian alternatives..

NEM FUDENDO!!1

NO FUCKING WAY!!!

This will be my first pre-order in my whole fucking life!

jesus...

I actually Pm´d Jackson... this is just too much!

Blizzard

Banned
2 Minutes Turkish said:
I'm sure I've just missed it in the thread, but any word on a release date?
A few of the retailers have a release date of September 15th. My Amazon preorder sent me an email when they updated the date to there from an October 1st placeholder. It -might- still be a placeholder, but my guess is that September 15th is correct.

Jackson's also confirmed that he can't confirm anything. But we can see from developer twitters that the team just did a bunch of last-minute work and is now relaxing, so the NATURAL conclusion is that they just finished developing or QA, or are just shipping off to QA, or who knows. :lol

Tntnnbltn

Blizzard said:
A few of the retailers have a release date of September 15th. My Amazon preorder sent me an email when they updated the date to there from an October 1st placeholder. It -might- still be a placeholder, but my guess is that September 15th is correct.
Does the US have a certain day of the week when games are usually released like UK/Australia do? 15th of September sounds particularly mid-month placeholder-y.

Blizzard

Banned
Tntnnbltn said:
Does the US have a certain day of the week when games are usually released like UK/Australia do? 15th of September sounds particularly mid-month placeholder-y.
I think Tuesday is supposed to be a relatively normal release day. October 1 is not Tuesday. September 15th, the updated date, is a Tuesday. On the other hand, apparently the 15th of a month is one of the "standard" placeholders so we still don't know for sure.

Also, it's supposed to come out in "fall" or "early fall" according to what we've heard, unless I'm mistaken.

Vinnk said:
I am an English teacher in Japan and I plan to buy a few copies of this game for my students to use. What an amazing concept, you write a word and it appears. Comes to life actually. The kids are going to love this. Trying out each new English word they learn. Heck, they are going to want me to teach them new words JUST so they can try them out in the game. And I bet they are going to remember them too (the meaning and spelling). Thank you Jackson and pass my thanks on to the rest of the team. You may not have planned to but you guys might be making one of the most innovative learning tools of the year as well as a fantastic game.

This is brilliant, and after reading this post, I'm buying a Russian cart (in addition to my english one) if one gets released, as I've been teaching myself Russian recently.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I was chilling in my local GameStop today, just bullshitting and picking up the new Boom Blox, and I started talking E3 with a few people. Inevitably I ended up mentioning Scribblenauts and how it was GotS. After explaining it in pretty good detail, I had a small crowd of about 7 people listening to me talk about it. That's when I did it.

I recited Post 217 from memory.

3 people preordered the game right there on the spot. It was one of the proudest moments as a salesman I've ever had, and I wasn't even working!

Bahaha, I was looking at the incoming traffic for the Scribblenauts article at BritishGaming, and uhm, Post 217 has gone worldwide.

Hice click en uno y vi que podía MONTARLOS. Así que me subí en un jodido DINOSAURIO, viajé de nuevo al presente, y pisotee a todos los zombies robot. ¿Habéis leído bien esa frase? VIAJÉ A TRAVÉS DEL PUTO TIEMPO, MONTÉ SOBRE UN DINOSAURIO Y LO UTILICÉ PARA CARGARME UN MONTÓN DE JODIDOS ZOMBIES ROBOT.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
MrHicks said:
how does Cthulhu work?
Cthulhu is public property?

something that iconic is not copyrighted?
It was, but as of 2008 it is Public Domain in EU, and has been in the US for quite a while.

Forkball

About Cthulhu...

According to S.T. Joshi's "H.P. Lovecraft: A Life" (pp. 640-641): Much of Lovecraft's work is in the public domain. This is unquestionably so in terms of the tales, essays, and poems published in the amateur press. As for stories published in "Weird Tales", the six that the magazine owned outright should have had their copyrights renewed after twenty-eight years, but repeated searches in the Library of Congress have turned up no renewals of any kind. Of the stories Lovecraft himself controlled, by law only he, his heirs, or his executor could have renewed the rights, but this was never done.

So go ahead and put Cthulhu in any game you want. Also I think Conan the Barbarian is also public domain.

Top Bottom