• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Thieves will launch with an optional 540p mode and 15fps lock

Tagyhag

That's pretty cool. Now people who say they can't see the difference between framerate and resolution can play this and get the 4K/60 experience with lower power draw!

Head.spawn

Maybe read more than the first sentence? I'm not mad at all. My PC sucks and I'm glad when devs consider weaker hardware, but 15 fps is kinda asinine in a world where everyone and their mother complains when a game is only 30. If 30 is cinematic, what's 15 then? The amount of people in here who suddenly want to game on their 8 years old laptop or think a lot of people would like to do that is astounding.

I think every shooter needs smooth framerate. Rocketlaunchers in Quake fire rather slowly, that doesn't mean any sane person would try that online at 15 fps. Obviously this is not Quake, but you shoot nontheless. I actually see less problems with melee fighting in that regard.

Or the attention of people who suddenly think 15fps in an online game where you can shoot at each other is something someone seriously considers. I can guarantee you that 95% of people in here never were in one of the dev update threads, and not all of them are cynical or humorless like me.

Nothing really. If I came across as mad I should work on my wording i guess.

Sure thing, but you'd still find people in here who would say that's fine as long they can play it on their windows 2000 laptop, because considering those makes total sense.
Anyway we've come a long way from "no internet? We got a 360 for you" to this.

I uninstalled the game already but I'm pretty sure Destiny 2 offered me three frame cap options (it does it dynamically based on your monitors Hz)

IIRC pretty sure it was: 75fps / 35fps / 18 or 17fps

I wish I would've screen capped it because I'm not exactly sure now.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Reading this thread you would believe that this option is worse than Sony denying players cross play.

Gestault

To put a personal story behind this sort of decision, I played Doom on an under-spec 386 at...probably 10 fps when I was younger. It was the best, and looking back, I wouldn't have given that up for anything. Technically, the game wasn't supposed to run on that machine in the first place. Good games can be fun, even at stupid-low settings.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
i can't wait until they lift the nda on streaming. Game is a very watchable game. I find myself just watching youtube/mixer videos of it a lot.

This is a nice video:

https://youtu.be/Ith8TAm8cEM?t=1s

Video guy can be annoying in that video though.
Oh man, I didn't realize this game was coming to PC.
I thought it was exclusive to xbone.

Awesome.
Yep. With the exception of Age of Empires 4 (which will probably come to xbox once it supports M/K). All new Microsoft Releases are Xbox and Windows 10. And they are xbox play anywhere games so buy once and install the game on both.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/xbox-play-anywhere

Sea of Thieves is cross-play between Xbox and PC as well.

Iorv3th

I uninstalled the game already but I'm pretty sure Destiny 2 offered me three frame cap options (it does it dynamically based on your monitors Hz)

It by default set mine at 144hz. But having it capped at 15 for any game seems very very odd. Especially for a multiplayer game.

who ever said that

My guess is people playing on low end PCs like laptops with Intel graphics chips. Basically, their choice is between not playing the game or playing it with very low settings. Also, lower settings may reduce the amount of electrical power the game uses. This is important if you are playing the game on a laptop and the laptop is not plugged in.

Kinyou

Reading this thread you would believe that this option is worse than Sony denying players cross play.
Seriously. It's mind boggling to me how this thread even reached this size. Since when are graphic options on a pc a controversial thing?

Wamb0wneD

That's some really odd stuff. I wish people who play shooters at 17 fps good luck.

Kinyou

Is it really? What is cool about making your game look and run worse.
Because then PCs can run it that otherwise couldn't?
That's exactly my point: don't take advantage of players who can't meet spec just so you can get another sale.
How are they taking advantage? If they don't meet the minimum spec they know that they're not in for great performance
They're just making it a bit easier for those people. This literally hurts no one.

Trup1aya

The lower the min specs, the larger the potential audience. As a kid, I remember playing PC games on a shitty computer, and getting worse results than this. I was just happy to get to play the games...

What's "uncool" about that?

The game runs from 540p/15fps to 4K/uncapped. How is that a bad thing?

Head.spawn

It by default set mine at 144hz. But having it capped at 15 for any game seems very very odd. Especially for a multiplayer game.

I only noticed it because I checked when I wanted to see where performance was landing so i could max out as much as possible and stay as close as possible to my performance target in all situations. It did default to 75fps, which I thought was cool since a good amount of games have fixed options like 30/60 or unlocked and you have to use thirdparty software to cap it.

Either way I just think it's weird to see an uproar about it on here. I think people are going to be pretty happy about the performance in this game and how well it can look on a good computer.

Trup1aya

That's exactly my point: don't take advantage of players who can't meet spec just so you can get another sale.

Taking advantage? People are making a decision to play a game at below the recommended specs...

You think it's the devs responsibility to protect pc users who want to play at low framerates?

Yes how dare they want to make it so low spec rigs can run the game. What bad development, wanting everybody to be able to play your game.

Shame on them.

nekkid

My guess is that this isn't even about working on low-power PCs and more to do with tablets.

sibarraz

Banned

Uh, being able to run it?

PC graphical options shouldnt only consider high end users, it also should include people with potato pcs. Now I have a mid-high pc, but 2 years ago, i would have loved to have an option to keep the game at an stable framerate in my terrible pc.

Maybe 15 fps is too much, but I guess that some people dont care about it. But this doesnt affect in any way those 60 fps/4k players

Chobel

15fps is not "an option" lol.

Shitty one maybe, but it's not good at all, you're basically looking bad stop motion animation. Everyone is better off playing uncapped framerate because there's at least a chance you may reach some decent motion on the screen.

Shitty one maybe, but it's not good at all, you're basically looking bad stop motion animation. Everyone is better off playing uncapped framerate because there's at least a chance you may reach some decent motion on the screen.

This makes no sense. A locked 15fps is better than an unlocked 15fps. Uncapped framerates are only better when said framerate is above a certain threshold. It's jarring in games that are 30fps and below.

Blam

I'm playing right now and I'm under NDA but you know what? Fuck it; have a gif about how it looks

giphy.gif

wow i hope you get banned. leaks dont help anyone.

tensuke

I know people with oooold laptops that have a hard time hitting 30fps on low with a lot of games. They're happy just playing stuff and don't care about the slideshows (or, at least, still play regardless). So, for those people, I imagine this will be nice to have. Not everyone cares about visuals/framerate as long as they're playing a game, especially with friends. I know it sounds weird, because, 540p? 15fps? wtf? but some people just don't care. I mean, I doubt they'd say no to a shiny new computer, but if that's all they have, let 'em do what they want, I suppose.

...I guess.
perfect first post.
I'm playing right now and I'm under NDA but you know what? Fuck it; have a gif about how it looks

giphy.gif
can you downsample 4k to 540p please? imagine how good it would look.

Trup1aya

Terrible logic.if hardware constrained, I'd take a stable 15 over constant fluctuation between 15-30 any day.

Man, I've been on Gaf since 2013, but this thread is one of the absolute weirdest ones I've ever read, and I've seen some fucking strange ones.

I just don't know how someone who even just read the thread title and not the whole quote or article can think this is a joke, weird, a waste of time, etc.

I am shocked how more game developers DON'T include dumpster fire resolutions or graphics OPTIONS. That's the key word here folks, OPTION. You do not have to play with N64 graphics if you don't want to. However, some people with awful computers would love to have these graphics settings. You would figure the amount spent on developing those options would be offset by the larger number of people with shitty computers or laptops who now are able to purchase the game and play it.

Someone pages back were saying that people with poor computers do not buy games so it would be a waste. No shit Sherlock they don't buy games. I just assume that my Surface 3 will not be able to run anything new so I don't bother. I play Viscera Cleanup Detail on it. It runs like dogshit on it but I can still enjoy it because it's my only way to play it. I wish I was able to make it look even worse so it would run smoother. Unfortunately, it's not available on console and I can't afford to get a decent gaming rig like I used to have. I imagine I'm not the only one in this situation.

Can you picture some kid hearing others talking about how great PUBG is or watching people play on Twitch only to buy it (or have their parents buy it) and realize it won't run on the family's crappy Dell computer or not buy it at all because of that? That's probably a fair amount of people. With Microsoft clearly pushing this to be the next popular GaaS/streaming/Twitch game, they want to pick up those sales.

It's also not like this is ruining your chance to play the game in 4K, 60 FPS. You PC with 2 Titan X's will make the game look amazing, it's just now people with toasters for computers will be able to enjoy the game too. It's clear MS is wanting this to be a huge, successful game and want anybody with an Xbox or PC to be able to play. I don't see how this can be seen as silly or a waste.

Sorry for the rant but god damn people use your brain. Whew!

Chobel

This makes no sense. A locked 15fps is better than an unlocked 15fps. Uncapped framerates are only better when said framerate is above a certain threshold. It's jarring in games that are 30fps and below.

I'm pretty sure for someone playing at around 15fps the frame rate consistency is the least of their worries. However at low framerate input lag will be so bad it's not even funny, so yeah, the higher you can get the better.

Terrible logic.if hardware constrained, I'd take a stable 15 over constant fluctuation between 15-30 any day.

lol at stable 15fps. If the slideshow of 15fps isn't bothering you, then I'm positive you're one of the guys doesn't care about framerate at all, whether it's "stable" or not.

EDIT: And if the game is even slightly optimized, then there won't be "constant fluctuation", framerate will happen only in chaotic situations, and in these cases you need higher framerate for minimum input lag.

Yukinari

If this game was like TF2 where the artstyle still resembles what it sorta looks like on various settings, even if you use DX8 for example, then MAYBE i could understand?

But Rare made some incredibly beautiful water and articulate boats which they even use as marketing for the game, even dedicating a dev diary to just the water.

Id want to be playing this game on at least medium specs or higher to appreciate the work.

nekkid

Man, I've been on Gaf since 2013, but this thread is one of the absolute weirdest ones I've ever read, and I've seen some fucking strange ones.

I just don't know how someone who even just read the thread title and not the whole quote or article can think this is a joke, weird, a waste of time, etc.

I am shocked how more game developers DON'T include dumpster fire resolutions or graphics OPTIONS. That's the key word here folks, OPTION. You do not have to play with N64 graphics if you don't want to. However, some people with awful computers would love to have these graphics settings. You would figure the amount spent on developing those options would be offset by the larger number of people with shitty computers or laptops who now are able to purchase the game and play it.

Someone pages back were saying that people with poor computers do not buy games so it would be a waste. No shit Sherlock they don't buy games. I just assume that my Surface 3 will not be able to run anything new so I don't bother. I play Viscera Cleanup Detail on it. It runs like dogshit on it but I can still enjoy it because it's my only way to play it. I wish I was able to make it look even worse so it would run smoother. Unfortunately, it's not available on console and I can't afford to get a decent gaming rig like I used to have. I imagine I'm not the only one in this situation.

It's also not like this is ruining your chance to play the game in 4K, 60 FPS. You PC with 2 Titan X's will make the game look amazing, it's just now people with toasters for computers will be able to enjoy the game too. It's clear MS is wanting this to be a huge, successful game and want anybody with an Xbox or PC to be able to play. I don't see how this can be seen as silly or a waste.

Sorry for the rant but god damn people use your brain. Whew!

Quite the rant, but 100% correct!

Some people need to pour a bucket of cold water over their elitism. Or just grow up, whatever.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I don't understand what a 540p mode is, here. Resolutions are typically polled from the OS, right? Does it alter some other settings? Change the HUD scale (which should either way be scaled I would hope)?

Either way, options are good and keeping low spec machines in mind something to be commended.
I would assume they use resolution scaling to get there or something along those lines.

Ah, 15 fps! You know, back in the day, when I was young and tried to play Strike Commander on my 386DX40, I would have been extremely glad with 15 fps. Spoiled brats.

Why do I get the impression that the people who are against this are the same folks who get angry when others want easy or easier difficulty settings in games.

If it doesn't affect your 4K/120 FPS or nightmare difficulty game but lets others buy and enjoy the game as well, who the fuck does that hurt other than your ego?

Top Bottom