• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seagate buys Samsung's HDD unit; 3 hard drive manufacturers left

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Hot on the heels of WD's acquisition of Hitachi's HDD production, Seagate just bought Samsung's HDD unit.

Remaining manufacturers:
Toshiba (incl/ Fujitsu)
Seagate (incl/ Samsung, Maxtor)
WD (incl/ Hitachi)

Source

SCOTTS VALLEY, CALIFORNIA (BNO NEWS) -- Seagate Technology Plc on Tuesday announced its agreement to acquire Samsung Electronics Co.'s hard disk drive operations for approximately $1.375 billion.
Under the terms of the agreement, Samsung will receive 50 percent of Seagate's ordinary shares - 45.2 million shares valued at $687.5 million, which is approximately 9.6 percent ownership of Seagate - and the remaining 50 percent in cash.

In addition, the agreement will expand the strategic relationship between the two companies, as Samsung will be providing Seagate with a NAND flash memory for its solid state drives, solid state hybrid drives and other products.
Meanwhile, Seagate will supply disk drives to Samsung for PCs, notebooks and consumer electronics.
"With these agreements, we expect to achieve greater scale and deliver a broader range of innovative storage products and solutions to our customers, while facilitating our long-term relationship with Samsung," said Steve Luczo, Seagate chairman, president and CEO.
The transactions, which are expected to close by the end of the year, are still subject to customary closing conditions, including review by U.S. and international regulators.

The emerging SSD marketplace should at least add a little competition into the mix. Lots of new players in solid state. But still, 3 firms with a near-100% marketshare in such a critical component... Yikes.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
I remember hearing from colleagues working in Seagate that Samsung was the company they most feared. They had the best technology, best GB per platter & lowest cost.

Good way to fix all that. The margins must have been too small for Samsung to sell up.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
navanman said:
I remember hearing from colleagues working in Seagate that Samsung was the company they most feared. They had the best technology, best GB per platter & lowest cost.

Good way to fix all that. The margins must have been too small for Samsung to sell up.
Now to lay off everyone in the Seagate HDD branch!

skybaby

Stumpokapow said:
Hot on the heels of WD's acquisition of Hitachi's HDD production, Seagate just bought Samsung's HDD unit.

Remaining manufacturers:
Toshiba (incl/ Fujitsu)
Seagate (incl/ Samsung)
WD (incl/ Maxtor, Hitachi)

Source

The emerging SSD marketplace should at least add a little competition into the mix. Lots of new players in solid state. But still, 3 firms with a near-100% marketshare in such a critical component... Yikes.
Doesn't maxtor belong to seagate not wd?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Please don't tell me they'll add that annoying sleep feature to Samsung external HDDs too.

tehbear

FML.

The two manufacturers with the most reliable consumer-grade drives capable of doing RAID is now gone. Now we have to pay 3 times as much for WD/Seagate to add a setting so we have devices capable of not dropping out of RAID.

It's always the good guys.

Friggin Seagate sucks, I've had so many of their HDs go bad. Happened this past weekend. Was installing WHS 2011 in my server box, took out all the HDs except the OS one. Installed. Put the drives back, and the Seagate one doesn't work anymore.

theBishop

Banned
Spinning magnetic disks are the past. NAND is the future.

This isn't really market consolidation, Samsung is just selling their bag of shit while it's still worth something.

Lesiroth

theBishop said:
Spinning magnetic disks are the past. NAND is the future.

This isn't really market consolidation, Samsung is just selling their bag of shit while it's still worth something.
Because you can get 1TB of storage for less then a $100 with NAND, right?

falconzss

Sad news, i never experienced any problems with my Samsung HDD's over the last decade and they were well priced. Seagate...oh my...

Mudkips

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Remaining manufacturers:
Toshiba (incl/ Fujitsu)
Seagate (incl/ Samsung, Maxtor, Quantum)
WD (incl/ Hitachi)

How dare you forget the awesome power and speed of the Quantum Fireball!

ZQ3Fj.gif

nubbe

Will WD swallow Seagate or will Seagate swallow WD?

At least we still have Toshiba for 1,8" drives... yaaay

Mudkips said:
How dare you forget the awesome power and speed of the Quantum Fireball!

http://i.imgur.com/ZQ3Fj.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
If you want to remember Quantum, you should also remember the awful Quantum Bigfoot.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Aklamarth said:
I fucking hate that "feature"....
The terrible part is that you can't fucking disable it.
You want to access the filesystem? Get ready to wait 5-30 seconds with the windows not responding if the HDD is sleeping...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom