• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sean Connery all smiles as the James Bond theme played at US Open

Wow he looks good. There had been rumors of steep decline in health for years. I was expecting news of his passing any day honestly.

Love the fan theory of him actually being Bond in the Rock.

Fucking lol at some of the reactions at something he said in Playboy fifty two fucking years ago. Nevermind the fact that he's been happily married to the same woman since the 70's.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Fucking lol at some of the reactions at something he said in Playboy fifty two fucking years ago. Nevermind the fact that he's been happily married to the same woman since the 70's.

Just gonna ignore the second quote, eh?

There's a difference between saying something dumb a long time ago and then saying something as awful as that. So yes, 52 years ago, he thought it was okay to beat women.

30 years ago, he also thought it was okay to beat women.

No one needs to give him a pass for that just because you seem to be okay with it.

Snoopycat

Banned
I went to Bruntsfield Primary which was his old school. One year he came and gave a speech but we didn't know who he was.

I went to Bruntsfield Primary which was his old school. One year he came and gave a speech but we didn't know who he was.

hKZsyL2.gif

Zyae

^^^ That's code for beat his wife.

is it? Or just a more common than you would think attitude of a 87 year old man who gave the quote in the 60s and 80s.

What he said is reprehensible but I swear a lot of people on this site are so fucking authoritarian and can't take things for the time period in which they were given. Of course if he hit is wife that is disgusting and terrible but this attitude really isnt that uncommon among people from his generation. Just because he said terrible things 30+ years ago doesnt mean the man is evil. Theres been literally 0 evidence produced in this thread that he ever touched his wife or another woman.

I was at that match and the pop from the crowd for him was huge. I have never seen any celebrity get that big of applause there. It rivaled what the crowd gave Federer.

Some in the crowd booed Megyn Kelly the day before.

is it? Or just a more common than you would think attitude of a 87 year old man who gave the quote in the 60s and 80s.

What he said is reprehensible but I swear a lot of people on this site are so fucking authoritarian and can't take things for the time period in which they were given. Of course if he hit is wife that is disgusting and terrible but this attitude really isnt that uncommon among people from his generation. Just because he said terrible things 30+ years ago doesnt mean the man is evil. Theres been literally 0 evidence produced in this thread that he ever touched his wife or another woman.

So, about that...
The role earned Diane Cilento an Academy Award nomination for best supporting actress, but by then she had married Connery, the man who, in the view of many, came to define her own life. Certainly her fame blossomed after she married him in 1962. ”He walked with the peculiar forward-leaning, slightly pigeon-toed gait of a body builder," she recalled, ”and his thick eyebrows met between his eyes. He looked dangerous but fun.''

Their union proved rich gossip-column fodder. In her autobiography, My Nine Lives (2006), Diane Cilento claimed that Connery insisted she give up her career and, when she refused, turned petty and violent. Word went out, she wrote, that he would never work with anyone who employed her, and he stopped her housekeeping money.
She realised the marriage was over, she also wrote in My Nine Lives, when Connery ”bashed my face in with his fists".
The alleged assault in 1965 echoed an infamous interview Connery had given to Playboy magazine earlier that year in which he observed: ”I don't think there is anything particularly wrong about hitting a woman — although I don't recommend doing it in the same way that you hit a man.

”An open-handed slap is justified — if all other alternatives fail and there has been plenty of warning. If a woman is a bitch, or hysterical or bloody-minded continually, then I'd do it."

Connery has always insisted that his words were taken out of context, and also denied hitting Diane Cilento.

Her own version of events was recounted by the author Geoffrey Wansell in his 2001 biography of Connery. She had been chatting to a waiter in a bar in Spain. A furious Connery, she claimed, took her to their room and punched her between the eyes with his fist, then hit her in the face repeatedly until she collapsed unconscious. Her face, she told Wansell, ballooned out ”like a giant puffer fish" and a blood clot formed in one eye for six weeks.

The beautiful Oscar nominee was terrified that she had lost her looks forever and would never work again.

Although she came to regard Connery as a monster, she put her marital woes behind her. ”I could hear my mother's voice in my ears: 'There's nothing less attractive than a moaning, whining woman, Diane'," she wrote .

She and Connery divorced in 1973, and two years later Diane Cilento returned to her native Australia

but hey, probably just a salty ex-wife. Not like the man has been literally recorded on camera defending spousal abuse and never renounced his views or anything.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

And has apologized and walked it back. I can't forgive him because I am not Tippi Hedren (about whom he was talking) but he knows he fucked up. Dre gets a bigger pass and he just got finished.

I am not defending violence against women under any circumstances. But there's little context here.

Caveat: he's the literal true Scotsman.

He beat his ex-wife unconscious. It's not cherry picking information, she came out and said he did this. Why is this so hard to understand? Oh yeah, because he's James Bond so he gets a free pass.

takriel

Welp, there goes another star's reputation. Why even bother looking up to them anymore, we're mostly all better persons than them, anyway.

daviyoung

Banned
Sean "Shhhcotland needsshh itssshh independentshhh" while chilling from his home in Switzerland, Malta or wherever can do one.

Daffy Duck

Nekketsu Kõha;247463462 said:
James Bond out of retirement yep.

Yep, cut off as a 00 agent as he's found out trying to get US secrets for M and left to rot in the US. It's a perfect Bond storyline.

Top Bottom