• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sean Connery all smiles as the James Bond theme played at US Open

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Is this a defense of his career, or is it excusing him by acting like we must all be just as bad as a guy who beats his wife unconscious and tells the world that it's okay as long as you do it with an open hand?.

You literally quoted me saying I won't defend violence against women under any circumstances and adding context which was missing from the original post. If that's all you read, you'd think that was the sum total of Connery's feelings on the matter. I can't forgive or excuse him because I am not the victim of his violence.

MogCakes

I don't mind if you want to separate the art from the artist and focus on his career, but this thread has been pretty fucking shameful. Some of you need to take a long look at yourself, and ask yourself what you're willing to stand up for when you see something that looks like even slightest threat to your fun.

This also applies to the people who say "GAF is so oversensitive and authoritarian" because they don't have the balls to outright say "I'm fine with Sean Connery beating his wife and saying that it's okay to hit women and that women are asking for it" like the folks up there.
You're beating a strawman here

L Thammy

You literally quoted me saying I won't defend violence against women under any circumstances and adding context which was missing from the original post. If that's all you read, you'd think that was the sum total of Connery's feelings on the matter. I can't forgive or excuse him because I am not the victim of his violence.

I'll admit that I was a bit hard on you in particular, but I think it's incredibly naive to pull the "but we don't have all the facts" on someone who is not just saying that it hypothetically alright to hit a woman for being a bitch, but describing the preferred method for doing so.

You're beating a strawman here

Whenever a YouTuber says white supremacist shit there's always this "lol gaf hivemind" crap. It shows where your priorities are when you do it there, and it shows where your priorities are when you do it here. See:

Gemüsepizza;247418504 said:
KdGqQY.gif

L Thammy

Nekketsu Kõha;247510727 said:
That is what he means by sarcasticly posting it.

It doesn't make a difference if it's sarcastic in that way except to derail the conversation further. The GIF still showcases what I mean when I say people are showing where their priorities are. There are people in this thread defending Sean Connery for the same reason that many Hollywood celebrities have defended Roman Polanski; the same set of priorities.

MogCakes

Whenever a YouTuber says white supremacist shit there's always this "lol gaf hivemind" crap. It shows where your priorities are when you do it there, and it shows where your priorities are when you do it here. See:
You are passing judgment on people for a strawman of your own concoction. Nobody is defending Connery's behavior or implying his comments are okay, or that they support such stances.

L Thammy

You are passing judgment on people for a strawman of your own concoction. Nobody is defending Connery's behavior or implying his comments are okay, or that they support such stances.

I literally quoted posts where people excused Sean Connery's statements or denied that he was an abuser, and labelled them and such. How is that a strawman?

L Thammy

None of those posts are excusing him.

"Connery & his wife have been married 40+ years & there has never once been accusations of domestic abuse. GAF just love hyperbole doesn't it?"

If you can't look at this and figure out why I'm calling it an excuse, I don't see the point in arguing with you further. I'm also passing judgment squarely on you. Cry all you want about that.

MogCakes

"Connery & his wife have been married 40+ years & there has never once been accusations of domestic abuse. GAF just love hyperbole doesn't it?"

If you can't look at this and figure out why I'm calling it an excuse, I don't see the post in arguing with you. I'm also passing judgment squarely on you. Cry all you want about that.
That one is definitely denying it. None of them are excusing such behavior. Be as judgmental as you wish, as I said before you're beating a strawman.

This post explains.

At least this time you understood sarcasm :)

Yes what he allegedly did (I believe it to be true as well,) and stated to believe is inexcusable.

Besides he said it in a more recent time in the late 80's to Barbara Walters in an interview on TV, the clip is on YouTube but I only find offensive ones now so I won't link it but you can find it easy and don't read the comments if you know what is good for you. There he argues that hitting a woman is ok.

Everybody has the right to draw the line where they want. But personally I consider yours a bit....fuzzy. It would mean a movie directed by Mel Gibson would be OK, but a movie starring Mel Gibson wouldn't.

I didn't draw any line. I said I could understand someone taking issue with it if it was a director because you don't have to see the director's face through half of the movie. I don't watch movies that feature Mel Gibson in any capacity, nor does understanding someone on that angle constitute approval.

Many actors or otherwise well-known celebrities have turned out to be less than pleasant people or upstanding citizens. Directors aren't treated the same as an actor in this area apparently? Your line drawing is fuzzy.

Same as above. I was addressing your point, not my own. I explained to you why not being able to watch an awful person like Connery in an acting rolel, because you did not seem to be able to understand why.

Do you have any evidence of this?

This very thread has a link to where his ex-wife accuses him of exactly this.

MogCakes

Same as above. I was addressing your point, not my own. I explained to you why not being able to watch an awful person like Connery in an acting rolel, because you did not seem to be able to understand why.
You will separate work from person for directors, but not actors. That's drawing a line - albeit fuzzy. I struggle to see how it isn't...

You will separate work from person for directors, but not actors. That's drawing a line - albeit fuzzy. I struggle to see how it isn't...

You struggling is a product of you not at all reading what I said.

"I was addressing your point, not my own." - AKA, my opinion isn't relevant at all. I am not talking about what I believe.

"I don't watch movies that feature Mel Gibson in any capacity" - A statement that demonstrates pretty clearly that I do not separate from directors.

"nor does understanding someone on that angle constitute approval." - Even further, a statement demonstrating that "understanding" is completely separated from approving.

"I explained to you why not being able to watch an awful person like Connery in an acting rolel, because you did not seem to be able to understand why." - A statement demonstrating the point, that people not wanting to watch a wife beater on screen is actually the reasonable reaction, and dismissing people who can't root for a guy played by a rapist like Cosby as being unable to separate art from the artist.

MogCakes

You struggling is a product of you not at all reading what I said.

"I was addressing your point, not my own." - AKA, my opinion isn't relevant at all. I am not talking about what I believe.

"I don't watch movies that feature Mel Gibson in any capacity" - A statement that demonstrates pretty clearly that I do not separate from directors.

"nor does understanding someone on that angle constitute approval." - Even further, a statement demonstrating that "understanding" is completely separated from approving.

"I explained to you why not being able to watch an awful person like Connery in an acting rolel, because you did not seem to be able to understand why." - A statement demonstrating the point, that people not wanting to watch a wife beater on screen is actually the reasonable reaction, and dismissing people who can't root for a guy played by a rapist like Cosby as being unable to separate art from the artist.
Oh! I see now. You are suggesting that anyone who doesn't disavow watching said actor from then on is scum of the earth. Frankly, that's a stupidly judgmental and self-righteous sentiment to hold.
EDIT: I messed up. Confused you with the wrong person. Ah well - I'll leave the comment so people know I made a dumb mistake.

In the first place, my comments aren't judging anyone. I'm pretty much saying 'hey, you can appreciate his work and legacy while still knowing he's an asshole'.

Top Bottom