• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sean Connery all smiles as the James Bond theme played at US Open

Please learn to separate a person's work from their personal life, GAF.

Please learn to understand that just because people draw certain lines at certain people, it does not mean that they do not know how to separate a person's work from their personal life. Like, I could maybe understand if we are talking about a director or whatever, but Connery is an actor. We see his face, we hear his voice, and we see the hands he used to beat his wife out of consciousness.

MogCakes

Please learn to understand that just because people draw certain lines at certain people, it does not mean that they do not know how to separate a person's work from their personal life. Like, I could maybe understand if we are talking about a director or whatever, but Connery is an actor. We see his face, we hear his voice, and we see the hands he used to beat his wife out of consciousness.

Many actors or otherwise well-known celebrities have turned out to be less than pleasant people or upstanding citizens. Directors aren't treated the same as an actor in this area apparently? Your line drawing is fuzzy.

Chuckie

Everybody has the right to draw the line where they want. But personally I consider yours a bit....fuzzy. It would mean a movie directed by Mel Gibson would be OK, but a movie starring Mel Gibson wouldn't.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Oh, they're both pretty trash human beings. In this thread, people are praising Connery's career, not his character.

This picture was taken of Sean Connery as himself. People are reacting to who that person is. And as it stands, it's a woman-beating piece of shit.

Fuck him and his career.

MogCakes

Why should I? Even pragmatically, what advantage do I gain from doing this?

You gain the ability to appreciate the work someone does even if they're a total asshole. Example: Elon Musk.

In this case, you get to appreciate that Sean Connery played the best Bond despite knowing that in real life the dude is a woman-beating sexist jerk.

This picture was taken of Sean Connery as himself. People are reacting to who that person is. And as it stands, it's a woman-beating piece of shit.

Fuck him and his career.

Thank You. I don't think anyone on GAF gave Chris Brown the treatment of "Lets separate his personal life from his work" even though Chris Brown is just as talented in Hip Hop/dance as Sean Connery is an actor.

You gain the ability to appreciate the work someone does even if they're a total asshole. Example: Elon Musk.

In this case, you get to appreciate that Sean Connery played the best Bond despite knowing that in real life the dude is a woman-beating sexist jerk.

Elon Musk is now an asshole? For what, the secretary story?

Oh, you meant in the context of enjoying their works, not discussing them? In that case I think your advice is a little misdirected? Like, I'm quite certain nobody in this thread actually said stuff like "he's a bad actor because he's a horrible human being" or something.

I see that you kinda urged people to focus on his career and not his person, and that's what my "why should I" question is getting at. In the first place, this is a thread about him smiling during a tennis match; it has little to do with his career.

MogCakes

Thank You. I don't think anyone on GAF gave Chris Brown the treatment of "Lets separate his personal life from his work" even though Chris Brown is just as talented in Hip Hop/dance as Sean Connery is an actor.

You seem to have construed my comment as some attempt to defend Connery.

Nekketsu Kõha;247465946 said:
Elon Musk is now an asshole? For what, the secretary story?

His ex-wife.

Oh, you meant in the context of enjoying their works, not discussing them? In that case I think your advice is a little misdirected? Like, I'm quite certain nobody in this thread actually say stuff like "he's a bad actor because he's a horrible human being" or something.

I see that you kinda urged this thread to focus on his career and not his person, and that's what my "why should I" question is getting at. In the first place, this is a thread about him smiling during a tennis match; it has little to do with his career.

Fair point. I assumed the purpose of the thread with James Bond in the title was meant to set the tone of discussion about his career as James Bond and not his person.

You seem to have construed my comment as some attempt to defend Connery.

His ex-wife.

Fair point. I assumed the purpose of the thread with James Bond in the title was meant to set the tone of discussion about his career as James Bond and not his person.

What did he do? Just saw a long daily mail article with gossip about how he called himself alpha and in his mind traded up by getting remarried.

MogCakes

Nekketsu Kõha;247466411 said:
What did he do? Just saw a long daily mail article with gossip about how he called himself alpha and in his mind traded up by getting remarried.
IIRC the dude saw her as naught more than an accessory and treated her as such.
Elon agreed to enter counseling, but he was running two companies and carrying a planet of stress. One month and three sessions later, he gave me an ultimatum: Either we fix this marriage today or I will divorce you tomorrow, by which I understood he meant, Our status quo works for me, so it should work for you. He filed for divorce the next morning. I felt numb, but strangely relieved.

MogCakes

Nekketsu Kõha;247466936 said:
Ok so he didn't commit a crime? And I still don't know how reliable any of that is so I'm sorry but I am not gonna call him names.
I wasn't aware committing criminal acts was a requirement for asshole status.

MogCakes

Nekketsu Kõha;247467764 said:
If that was enough for you that's fine but don't expect everyone else to join in and judge a person based on that as an asshole. I won't.
I wasn't aware I was speaking for anyone other than myself.

T.O.P

Banned
tumblr_nl4p2nd4mY1s2wio8o1_500.gif

I guess i'm gonna rewatch From Russia with love tonight

AP90

For 87 he's mobile af and looks fine

Iconic guy

I remember going to see it with my mum and dad aged 7, thinking 'Man Sean looks so old to seeing him on TV as Bond' lol - and that 28 years ago

I get why Raiders is seen more as a classic, but I've always just loved Crusade the most. Him and Ford had a great onscreen rapport.

"How did you know she was a Nazi"?

"Talks in her sleep"

* Connery shit eating grin

Pure gold 👍

diunxx

Do you have any evidence of this?

Blader

I mean, Connery's Bond was a woman-beating sexist jerk, so you know what you're getting all around

Chuckie

I mean, Connery's Bond was a woman-beating sexist jerk, so you know what you're getting all around

He really was. He was a good Bond, but tbh I have a bit of a hard time re-watching the movies because I consider James quite a dick in those.

Unbounded

Every once in a while I want to just enjoy discussing a topic at face-value without everyone jumping and digging to discuss the social failures of said thing.

L Thammy

Oh, they're both pretty trash human beings. In this thread, people are praising Connery's career, not his character.

Is this a defense of his career, or is it denying that he beat his wife?

Did he actually beat his wife or did he just make that boorish statement about it? I mean

Neither of those say he actually hit his wife. Sorry if there's more out there, I hadn't heard of this before.

Is this a defense of his career, or is it denying that he beat his wife?

Connery & his wife have been married 40+ years & there has never once been accusations of domestic abuse. GAF just love hyperbole doesn't it?

Is this a defense of his career, or is it excusing him for saying that it's okay to hit a woman for being "a bitch" and saying that some women are just asking for it?

Fucking lol at some of the reactions at something he said in Playboy fifty two fucking years ago. Nevermind the fact that he's been happily married to the same woman since the 70's.

Is this a defense of his career, or is it excusing him for saying that it's okay to hit a woman for being "a bitch" and saying that some women are just asking for it?

is it? Or just a more common than you would think attitude of a 87 year old man who gave the quote in the 60s and 80s.

What he said is reprehensible but I swear a lot of people on this site are so fucking authoritarian and can't take things for the time period in which they were given. Of course if he hit is wife that is disgusting and terrible but this attitude really isnt that uncommon among people from his generation. Just because he said terrible things 30+ years ago doesnt mean the man is evil. Theres been literally 0 evidence produced in this thread that he ever touched his wife or another woman.

And has apologized and walked it back. I can't forgive him because I am not Tippi Hedren (about whom he was talking) but he knows he fucked up. Dre gets a bigger pass and he just got finished.

I am not defending violence against women under any circumstances. But there's little context here.

Caveat: he's the literal true Scotsman.

Is this a defense of his career, or is it excusing him by acting like we must all be just as bad as a guy who beats his wife unconscious and tells the world that it's okay as long as you do it with an open hand?

Welp, there goes another star's reputation. Why even bother looking up to them anymore, we're mostly all better persons than them, anyway.

I don't mind if you want to separate the art from the artist and focus on his career, but this thread has been pretty fucking shameful. Some of you need to take a long look at yourself, and ask yourself what you're willing to stand up for when you see something that looks like even slightest threat to your fun.

This also applies to the people who say "GAF is so oversensitive and authoritarian" because they don't have the balls to outright say "I'm fine with Sean Connery beating his wife and saying that it's okay to hit women and that women are asking for it" like the folks up there.

Top Bottom