• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Second body cam video shows Baltimore cops allegedly planting evidence

So how long before Trump's DOJ passes an order prohibiting body cams?

That will come right after they try to make it a criminal offense to ever record an officer

Smh and people wonder why people don't trust the police with anything.

Sadly, one topic from now (hell, in this topic) I expect o see a lot of braying about "anti-police attitudes" & "Next time you need emergency help, I wonder who you'll call" & "If you're honest and well behaved you have nothing to worry about. That person shouldn't have freaked out so much."

I mean fuck this is only a few days after video comes out of cops just straight up torturing a person with a taser. I and no one else should be expected to do the heavy lifting of explaining why the police are so distrusted and reviled by so many communities.

You only reform what's broken.

Right. As Trump showed days ago, this is how the mainstream public want the police to act and apparently, police themselves desperately also want to act like this. Bully citizens, get arrests at any costs, put down people who question your authority, abuse your power and get praised for it all. It's the way it's supposed to work. It's the way it was designed. And people who never have to encounter it, love it. A certain brand of citizen is the enemy and cops are expected to eliminate the enemy rather than protect and serve.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
Its time for police officers' word to mean nothing in court. Without video evidence it should be assumed they are lying. Too many "forgot to turn on" or "camera was malfunctioning" incidents.

Coming from New York the nypd employs more than 30000 people. Say in 5 years time we hear about a 100 crooked nypd officers. That's less than 1%. The job happens to attract bullies who want power. Gaf has to stop attacking all cops as if they are crooked. They have to follow the chain of command and if the higher ups don't find enough evidence or are too lazy to look further into it shit gets dropped. You wrongfully fire a city employee guess who pays for it... the tax payer when he/she sues the city for wrongful termination. The psych test is a joke so it's hard to see who is crazy until they are on the job. As a Muslim I hate seeing people bash an entire group after a every incident that happens. Gaf needs to stop grouping every cop together just because it conviently fits their agenda. ( I am awhere I grouped gaf together only because of all the posts I read)

Stencil

Coming from New York the nypd employs more than 30000 people. Say in 5 years time we hear about a 100 crooked nypd officers. That's less than 1%. The job happens to attract bullies who want power. Gaf has to stop attacking all cops as if they are crooked. They have to follow the chain of command and if the higher ups don't find enough evidence or are too lazy to look further into it shit gets dropped. You wrongfully fire a city employee guess who pays for it... the tax payer when he/she sues the city for wrongful termination. The psych test is a joke so it's hard to see who is crazy until they are on the job. As a Muslim I hate seeing people bash an entire group after a every incident that happens. Gaf needs to stop grouping every cop together just because it conviently fits their agenda. ( I am awhere I grouped gaf together only because of all the posts I read)

You understand that if this "Blue Wall of Silence" remains silent, they are all as good as crooked?

Being Muslim and being a police officer are not the same thing. They choose the job. They choose to manipulate the power it gives them to ruin lives. And they choose to use the legal system to cover for their own. GAF can continue to bash cops all it wants. GAF doesn't have a legal system behind it to protect it. GAF isn't authorized to use deadly force. GAF can't arrest and detain people. Not all cops are crooked, but these crooked cops don't exist in a vacuum. They share space with other officers. Officers who guaranteed have people not in on the scam who know it's happening otherwise. I'd rather my tax money go to wrongful termination suits in an actual crusade to weed out the criminal element within the ranks of officers that go to paying to placate the destroyed lives of another group of people who have been innocently jailed or a family who's lost another loved one because cops decided not to fire their maniac with an itchy trigger finger. That 1% affects a shit ton of lives of American citizens negatively. That one percent creates distrust when their arrest record comes into question for incidents like this.

Nah if the good cops don't want to speak out about the bad cops they are bad cops too. Staying silent isn't helping anything and I say fuck those who stay silent as well as the ones who kill and plant shit.

FUCK THE POLICE.

jamwater

Banned
Man what is even the fucking motive here. This is disgusting. Trying to ruin innocent peoples' lives... absolutely horrid.

It's unbelievable. Yet here is irrefutable proof. Two instances shown recently. The first video that leaked out - the DA responded by throwing out 34 cases.

That's 34 people. That's 34 families. Just one cop in the crew.

There is no motive any more than there is a motive for breathing. It's just what they do. It's in their nature.

Your reacting, and taking your first answer as truth. Think it through. Why?

Honestly, cops simply have too much power. Anyone with the power they have will do some corrupt shit at some point I think. Also, would need to completely clean house to deal with the corruption, otherwise the rot in the system will just infect everything new. Never gonna happen though.

It's not power they have. It's immunity. The Prosecutors? They have it too. Two peas in a pod.

Lord, I was expecting this to be the same drug planting video from the other thread, just from another cam, but its whole other incident. You can only imagine how often this goes on.

If you could imagine I'd bet you'd get nice and sick.

Being Muslim and being a police officer are not the same thing. They choose the job. They choose to manipulate the power it gives them to ruin lives. And they choose to use the legal system to cover for their own. GAF can continue to bash cops all it wants. GAF doesn't have a legal system behind it to protect it. GAF isn't authorized to use deadly force. GAF can't arrest and detain people. Not all cops are crooked, but these crooked cops don't exist in a vacuum. They share space with other officers. Officers who guaranteed have people not in on the scam who know it's happening otherwise. I'd rather my tax money go to wrongful termination suits in an actual crusade to weed out the criminal element within the ranks of officers that go to paying to placate the destroyed lives of another group of people who have been innocently jailed or a family who's lost another loved one because cops decided not to fire their maniac with an itchy trigger finger. That 1% affects a shit ton of lives of American citizens negatively. That one percent creates distrust when their arrest record comes into question for incidents like this.
Being Muslim is a choice.. I can pick any religion I want or decide to follow nothing. Everyone is going to say all cops are bad because they are not ratting on each other but how do we know they know about all their fellow employees corruption. Look at the fdny emt who encouraged the patient to drink alcohol in the back of the ambulance. Does that mean all emts are assholes and everyone knew what he did? It's easy to just say they are all guilty. People attacked muslim Americans with the same nonsense saying that we aren't coming in droves denouncing all the attacks making us just as guilty.

superbeau

Neo Member
Body cams should NOT allow police to have the ability to turn them on and off, they should be on at all times and the only time it would not be recording is due to no battery power.

Neither should their dash cams or their audio recorders. This should just be basic accountability

Haven't had a Muslim point a gun in my face, profile me, hit me with their car, follow me to my home because I look like I don't belong in the neighborhood, smash my SNES because I'm hiding drugs in it, knock me off my bike, or tell me if I'm seen walking in an area literally two blocks from my home that I'll be arrested.

People lumping Muslims are idiots..they've likely never seen or spoken to one in their lives. Are all LEOs bad? Of course not. I've posted stories of a couple of bosses, in fact. But the overwhelming majority of my encounters growing up have been straight bullshit, harassment, and intimidation. Not only of myself, but of anyone around me. I think I'll say what I want to..

Glix

Man what is even the fucking motive here. This is disgusting. Trying to ruin innocent peoples' lives... absolutely horrid.

$$$$

Police departments are now used by municipalities to pay the bills.

Its a big part of the problem, I know people who took jobs with the NYPD after college who became demoralized and left the force quickly once they found out that "write tickets" came before "protect and serve"

Do they really call themselves the greatest city in America? It looks like this behavior is a norm rather than a few bad apples as some people try to spin.

Being Muslim is a choice.. I can pick any religion I want or decide to follow nothing. Everyone is going to say all cops are bad because they are ratting on each other but how do we know they know about all their fellow employees corruption. Look at the fdny emt who encouraged the patient to drink alcohol in the back of the ambulance. Does that mean all emts are assholes and everyone knew what he did? It's easy to just say they are all guilty. People attacked muslim Americans with the same nonsense saying that we aren't coming in droves denouncing all the attacks making us just as guilty.

Muslimhood in regards to the perspectives of current society where self-awareness is at a minimum, isn't really a choice. People persecute, harass, attack and kill people who they categorize as "Muslim" simply due to dark skin which isn't a choice. The persecution against Muslims isn't just something that exists on a religious scale but also an ethnic one. Also police officers have a code of conduct. They have supervisors and are federally regulated. They are part of a government institution that is supposed to have checks and balances, an entire structure which is meant to make unilateral statements and adjustments possible, which is not something that Muslims share. Which is why I consider it different from being a police officer.

And the reason I say they know about their fellow employees' corruption is that of repeated cases of whistleblowers within police departments being bullied and attacked by all of their coworkers rather than just the people in on the conspiracy. They know what goes on behind the scenes and choose silence again and again. Most recent example of this silence is with the suicide of Charles Joseph Gliniewicz where he blamed BLM for his death. People outside and inside the force fell in line with the lie until it was revealed he was a fraudster and sexual assaulter and suddenly the lips of his coworkers unsealed to spill the beans that he was actually a piece of shit. Only after a lot of damage had been done due to his lie and painting him as a hero would no longer work. It's a pattern of behavior from the institution to the point that it's literally a trope in fiction.

Haven't had a Muslim point a gun in my face, profile me, hit me with their car, follow me to my home because I look like I don't belong in the neighborhood, smash my SNES because I'm hiding drugs in it, knock me off my bike, or tell me if I'm seen walking in an area literally two blocks from my home that I'll be arrested.

People lumping Muslims are idiots..they've likely never seen or spoken to one in their lives. Are all LEOs bad? Of course not. I've posted stories of a couple of bosses, in fact. But the overwhelming majority of my encounters growing up have been straight bullshit, harassment, and intimidation. Not only of myself, but of anyone around me. I think I'll say what I want to..
See the majority of your encounters are gonna be bullshit because it's by cops who are looking for trouble and want to bully others. The majority of the task force no one is ever going to hear about because they just do their job and go home. The way we talk in here is as if half the task force or more is currupt. If that were the case our cities would be in a hell of a lot worse shape than it is now. Racist/bigots are gonna look for positions of power and they will take it out on the group they hate. No mater what the city does these roaches will always find ways into the system

Supha_Volt

Neo Member
That will come right after they try to make it a criminal offense to ever record an officer

Sadly, one topic from now (hell, in this topic) I expect o see a lot of braying about "anti-police attitudes" & "Next time you need emergency help, I wonder who you'll call" & "If you're honest and well behaved you have nothing to worry about. That person shouldn't have freaked out so much."

I mean fuck this is only a few days after video comes out of cops just straight up torturing a person with a taser. I and no one else should be expected to do the heavy lifting of explaining why the police are so distrusted and reviled by so many communities.

Exactly, it's like we don't say this shit for nothing or we've experienced it first hand. Fuck I remember walking home from work last year and when I got about halfway, 3 police cruisers converged on exactly where I was on the sidewalk and either got out and stared at me or just stared at me from the cruiser. Shit was scary as fuck. Saw that tazer video other day, shit is disgusting.

Imm0rt4l

Debatable. They're all complicit, if they see dirty shit and don't do shit, they're still bad imo. It may be a gradient of badness, and so the relative nature makes it so that dome are seemingly "good. They still play their role in an oppressive and racist apparatus.

Debatable. They're all complicit, if they see dirty shit and don't do shit, they're still bad imo. It may be a gradient of badness, and so the relative nature makes it so that dome are seemingly "good. They still play their role in an oppressive and racist apparatus.

You'll get no argument from me..

SomTervo

This is like some shit straight from The Wire.

Now you mention it, it IS like something straight from a season 6 of The Wire if such a thing ever existed.

Imagine if Simon et al did a long-form return to the characters, like Lynch is with Peaks...

commedieu

Banned
See the majority of your encounters are gonna be bullshit because it's by cops who are looking for trouble and want to bully others. The majority of the task force no one is ever going to hear about because they just do their job and go home. The way we talk in here is as if half the task force or more is currupt. If that were the case our cities would be in a hell of a lot worse shape than it is now. Racist/bigots are gonna look for positions of power and they will take it out on the group they hate. No mater what the city does these roaches will always find ways into the system

Whose we? You got a mouse in your pocket? Because you're desperately trying to explain the obvious. My father is exlapd, detective. Fuck cops doesn't mean the good ones. And any rational person knows this. I don't get pat on the back for doing my job, and it doesn't make headlines unless it's newsworthy. That's how media for profit works in the world.

Roaches have no accountability, and good roaches don't turn in the other roaches. It's not a hard concept to grasp. There is no need.
Baltimore, which is one of many, is in hell because of literal police corruption. Minorities, like yourself, face the brunt of policing more than white people. These are all facts.

If it hurts your feelings, maybe you should try to make it so there is no % of people executing others, getting paid vacation, little to no jail time, and a transfer to another job. Because that's what people are upset about. There is no acceptable % of pig corruption.

My experience is the same as Gordons. A lot of people have that same experience. So please, pick another thing to advocate for. Police don't really need help. They've got unions and government that protect them from responsibility and criticism.

Sean C

They think the suspect is guilty and are thus just making sure they get caught, generally. Cops aren't usually about framing people they think are innocent; rather, they succumb to the dangerous reasoning of manufacturing evidence to make sure a "guilty" person is found guilty.

MarionCB

Disgusting, and yet more evidence, as though we need it, of how much of an endemic, systematic issue police corruption is in these departments. Seven officers just waiting around for the buffer to clear. It's a statistical fact they've done this far more times than they've been caught; they actually fucked up here something that's very easy to get away with.

While we're waiting for the necessary systematic reform that won't come, they should randomise the length of the buffer. Make it at least 30 seconds in all cases but it could be 5 minutes or 20 minutes or an hour for the specific camera at the time; the cop wouldn't know. That could make them think twice or catch some more out. At the moment, they're just waiting 30 seconds.

Think I saw something about this. BPD is seriously fucked up. Didn't the Obama DoJ publish a pretty damning report about Baltimore police corruption and abuse of power? Of course with Trump and Sessions the DoJ is going to be cleaning up after dirty cops and not going after them.

At this point I'm hoping that State's Attorney Mosby stays safe, considering how many times she's gone up against the Baltimore Police Department.
Yup:
https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/just...ngs-investigation-baltimore-police-department
https://www.justice.gov/opa/file/883366/download
Department of Justice
Office of Public Affairs
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Wednesday, August 10, 2016
Justice Department Announces Findings of Investigation into Baltimore Police Department

Justice Department Finds a Pattern of Civil Rights Violations by the Baltimore Police Department

The Justice Department announced today that it found reasonable cause to believe that the Baltimore City Police Department (BPD) engages in a pattern or practice of conduct that violates the First and Fourth Amendments of the Constitution as well as federal anti-discrimination laws. BPD makes stops, searches and arrests without the required justification; uses enforcement strategies that unlawfully subject African Americans to disproportionate rates of stops, searches and arrests; uses excessive force; and retaliates against individuals for their constitutionally-protected expression. The pattern or practice results from systemic deficiencies that have persisted within BPD for many years and has exacerbated community distrust of the police, particularly in the African-American community. The city and the department have also entered into an agreement in principle to work together, with community input, to create a federal court-enforceable consent decree addressing the deficiencies found during the investigation.

“Public trust is critical to effective policing and public safety,” said Attorney General Loretta E. Lynch. “Our investigation found that Baltimore is a city where the bonds of trust have been broken, and that the Baltimore Police Department engaged in a pattern or practice of unlawful and unconstitutional conduct, ranging from the use of excessive force to unjustified stops, seizures and arrests. The results of our investigation raise serious concerns, and in the days ahead, the Department of Justice will continue working tirelessly to ensure that all Baltimoreans enjoy the safety, security and dignity they expect and deserve. I am grateful to all of the community members, local officials, faith leaders and current and former police officers who spoke with us during the course of our inquiry, and whose input will remain critical to our efforts as we move forward. Additionally, I commend the city and BPD for its proactive and collaborative approach to our inquiry and for demonstrating a strong commitment to restoring public confidence by already taking steps to make needed changes. I look forward to continuing our work together to implement urgent and necessary reforms.”

“We found that BPD has engaged in a pattern or practice of serious violations of the U.S. Constitution and federal law that has disproportionately harmed Baltimore’s African-American community and eroded the public’s trust in the police,” said Principal Deputy Assistant Attorney General Vanita Gupta, head of the Civil Rights Division. “The agency also fails to provide officers with the guidance, oversight and resources they need to police safely, constitutionally and effectively. In communities across America, even in communities where trust has been broken, we’ve seen transformative reform rebuild relationships and advance public safety. In the weeks ahead, as we negotiate our consent decree with the city, we will seek input from law enforcement and community members. With the city and commissioner’s commitment to reform, I am optimistic that we will work to drive that same progress in Baltimore.”

In May 2015, Attorney General Lynch announced the comprehensive investigation into the BPD after considering requests from city officials and hearing directly from community members about a potential pattern or practice of constitutional violations. The investigation focused on BPD’s use of force, including deadly force; stops, searches and arrests; and discriminatory policing.

In the course of its pattern or practice investigation, the department interviewed and met with city leaders and police officials, including BPD Commissioner Kevin Davis, former commissioners and numerous officers throughout all ranks of the police department; accompanied line officers on dozens of ride-alongs in every police district; conducted hundreds of interviews and participated in meetings with community members, activists, and other stakeholders; reviewed hundreds of thousands of pages of police documents, including all relevant policies and training materials; and analyzed BPD’s data on internal affairs, use of force, sexual assault cases and pedestrian stops, searches and arrests.

During the course of its investigation, the department found that the legacy of “zero tolerance” street enforcement, along with deficient policies, training and accountability systems, resulted in conduct that routinely violates the Constitution and federal anti-discrimination law. Throughout the investigation, the department heard consistently from both the community and law enforcement that BPD requires significant reforms to address problems that undermine its efforts to police constitutionally and effectively.

The department found reasonable cause to believe that BPD engages in a pattern or practice of:

• Conducting stops, searches and arrests without meeting the requirements of the Fourth Amendment;
  • Focusing enforcement strategies on African Americans, leading to severe and unjustified racial disparities in violation of Title VI of the Civil Rights Act and the Safe Streets Act;
  • Using unreasonable force in violation of the Fourth Amendment;
  • Interacting with individuals with mental health disabilities in a manner that violates the Americans with Disabilities Act; and
  • Interfering with the right to free expression in violation of the First Amendment.
The department also identified serious concerns about other BPD practices, including an inadequate response to reports of sexual assault, which may result, at least in part, from underlying gender bias. Another significant concern identified by the department was transport practices that place detainees at significant risk of harm.

In the agreement in principle, both parties agreed that compliance with the consent decree will be reviewed by an independent monitor. The agreement in principle highlights specific areas of reform to be included in the consent decree, including:

• Policies, training, data collection and analysis to allow for the assessment of officer activity and to ensure that officers’ actions conform to legal and constitutional requirements;
  • Technology and infrastructure to ensure capability to effectively monitor officer activity;
  • Officer support to ensure that officers are equipped to perform their jobs effectively and constitutionally; and
  • Community policing strategies to guide all aspects of BPD’s operations and help rebuild the relationship between BPD and the various communities it serves.
The agreement in principle provides a framework for change, but the department will be doing community outreach to solicit input in developing comprehensive reforms. Comments may be provided by email at Community.Baltimore@usdoj.gov (link sends e-mail).

Throughout the department’s investigation, BPD leadership remained receptive to preliminary feedback and technical assistance, and started the process of implementing reforms. BPD leadership has proactively taken steps to address some of the findings, including updating its policies, instituting new trainings and responding to other issues identified by the department. While these measures are an important start to cooperative reform, a comprehensive agreement is still needed to remedy all of the department’s findings.

In October 2014, city and BPD leadership requested to enter a collaborative reform process with the Justice Department’s Office of Community Oriented Policing Services (COPS office). While the Civil Rights Division opened the pattern or practice investigation in May 2015, the COPS office, the Justice Department’s Office of Justice Programs and others have maintained their ongoing efforts to offer federal resources, such as technical assistance, to the BPD, city officials and community leaders.

This investigation was conducted by the Civil Rights Division’s Special Litigation Section with the assistance of law enforcement professionals pursuant to the pattern or practice provision of the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994. Over the last seven years, the Special Litigation Section has opened 23 investigations into law enforcement agencies. The section is enforcing 17 agreements with law enforcement agencies, including 14 consent decrees and one post-judgment order. For more information on the Civil Rights Division and the Special Litigation Section, please visit www.justice.gov/crt.

low-G

When those corrupt cops go to jail when they're caught, instead of being allowed to continue work or at best put on paid leave for a while, you'll have a leg to stand on.

norm9

Found two more bodycam news articles-

http://www.voiceofsandiego.org/topi...ws-cop-gave-false-testimony-in-homeless-case/
Body Cam Footage Shows SDPD Officer Gave False Testimony in Homeless Case

As he was testifying in court about a citation he had issued a homeless man, San Diego Police Officer Colin Governski set the scene: When he approached Tony Diaz, Diaz was sleeping in the back of his truck in a public parking lot on Mission Bay.

Diaz was challenging a citation he'd received for vehicle habitation. So the officer's testimony that he was observed sleeping in the truck was crucial.

The problem: It wasn't true.

The judge found Diaz guilty of the infraction. But Diaz's lawyer appealed the case, and then the city attorney's office found body camera footage of the incident.

It revealed Governski had given false testimony under oath multiple times about the encounter. The footage directly contradicted his description of what happened and backed up Diaz's account that Governski approached him as he was leaving a public restroom.

The deputy city attorney on the case, Steven Hansen, notified Diaz's lawyer and filed a motion to throw out the conviction. Hansen did not, however, alert the San Diego Police Department that Governski had given false testimony in court.

http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/news/crime--law/watch-video-released-for-dayton-traffic-stop-judge-called-staged/5OdTTGYA3KP6nONhwqRQ3O/

Video released for Dayton traffic stop judge called ‘staged'

The video shows it was raining on Oct. 1, 2016, when Wilson pulled his vehicle on the road some distance in front of the officers.

It wasn't until a minute later when the cruiser pulled behind Wilson at a light and officers noted the vehicle had Pennsylvania plates — it was a rental — that they began vocalizing that Wilson cut them off.

They pulled him over and, after telling him he cut them off — to which he apologized — they asked what was in a container in his car, and Wilson said it was marijuana. They put Wilson into the police cruiser and searched the vehicle.

While Wilson was in the back of the police cruiser, police officers talking among themselves noted he had a valid driver's license.

”Yeah, he's valid," an officer said. ”I was just as surprised by that."

Dankof's court order says that comment ”suggests racial profiling."

While in the back of the cruiser, Wilson apologetically tells officers he uses marijuana, but says he doesn't sell it. He claimed the gun was not his.

”I was convicted back in 2004. My life's been alright since then," he said while in the police cruiser.

Dayton Police Chief Richard Biehl issued a statement Wednesday saying his department is ”gathering all evidence related to this incident both from the courts and internally in order to do complete and thorough review."

However, to form an opinion on this matter before it is resolved through the court would be imprudent and premature," he said.

When it rains, it pours. Rats, all of them.

norm9

It's cool though because that is less than 1% of cops, so #notallcops.

Let's pretend for a minute that optimistically, only 1% of ALL cops that crooked. Who knows the untold damage this cop has brought upon his neighborhood.

Now, let's say we're not so optimistic and say 1% of every police station is crooked, which is probably more likely (still going by the rather generous 1% crooked bad apple). I'm shit with math so I don't know if the numbers are the same for the more computationally inclined, but in my brain that's a shit ton.

Wikipedia (sorry, too lazy to research further when I'm off the clock) says there are close to 2,000,000 police officers. Whatever 1% of 2 million is, but based on my fuzzy math, it's enough to be considered for me a goddammit epidemic.

I hope and expect more video footage to pop up from cop cams as well as complicit branches like the Massachusetts crime lab that were found to be forging and faking drug tests to prosecute folks (which had to let go of 20,000 (?) current cases).

In conclusion, we are (been since the beginning) so fucked.

Top Bottom