• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Secret of Mana HD Remake - The First 15 Minutes With IGN [PS4/Vita/Steam]

Ichabod

Banned
I ain't even mad at the new art style. It would be dope if they included the original rom as a bonus, but as far as the remake goes, I appreciate that I'm going to get another chance to revisit an old favorite with a new coat of paint. Now, I would totally be up in arms if they messed with the godly ost.

Zog

Banned
$40 is steep. I want to buy it but that's too much money for a remake with outdated graphics. It's not that I don't like the graphics but I don't like them enough to pay $40. I can play this game on my iPad/iPhone, my SNES Classic and my Wii U. On the Virtual Console it's $8, on mobile it's also $8 and on the SNES Classic it comes out to about $4 a game (if you don't count the hardware cost and if you do, it's even less).

Last edited:
as someone who played the original multiple times back in the days, I'm definitely excited for this. the design doesn't really bother me that much but I hope they have a way to turn off the voice acting. I feel it just doesn't fit the game that well over all.

edit: wait, does this have local or online co-op? it would be nice if it dies.

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
I'm glad they're not trying to remake the original music. My favourite OST of all time is perfect as it is!
Pretty sure I read that there will be an updated soundtrack but the original soundtrack will still be available.

Yes here it is on the Steam store page:

The music – the Secret of Mana remake is going to come with a brand new rearranged soundtrack, but for those of you who loved the original (or just want a trip down memory lane) we’re going to include the soundtrack from the original game too, and most importantly, you’ll be able to switch between them whenever you like!

Last edited:

jadedm17

Ya know, every time something about this game is posted I see people complain about it looking like a mobile game or some other nonsense. I think it looks damned fantastic and welcome it into my arms.

The lack of lighting/shadows makes it lacking in personality IMHO, but if you're happy then who cares?
It looks far better than the Turtles in Time remake I kept far far away from.

Pejo

I didn't hate the Final Fantasy Legend remake that came out a few years ago, so I'm sure I'll do ok with this game too. Would I have preferred another art style? Sure. As long as it plays ok though, I'm still interested.

The lack of lighting/shadows makes it lacking in personality IMHO, but if you're happy then who cares?
It looks far better than the Turtles in Time remake I kept far far away from.
I feel like being better than Re-Shelled is like the most minimum of bars. :p

I guess my question is why people think this looks like a mobile game or something. Most/all mobile games I've played look significantly less complicated graphic-wise. It not having any sort of global lighting or anything is actually fine, IMO, because the original game didn't (because it really couldn't at the time) and I feel like it would be even more jarring than others are saying. If anything it looks really good because it looks like the artwork they've been using for the games for a while.

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
I seen alot of people complaining about the graphics and lack of mouth movement when talking but honestly neither of those things bother me. I like the graphics and am hyped for this one!
In truth, I never got the memo that we needed to ask Jeremy.Howard before giving our opinion. Sorry.

They should have featured that technique where by pressing a button it reverts to the old visuals ala Halo Annivesary or Monkey Island Special Edition. Even just include the original rom on the menu, like Rondo of Blood on PSP. They could have resolved the low budget look that way.

Last edited:

Alboreo

I'm torn. The new art looks so similar to the recent 3D mobile remakes of Square games (eg Adventure of Mana). They tend to strike me as very bland and devoid of charm, character, passion. On the other hand, I've only seen footage of the first area which is kind of a bland location regardless. I wish they'd show off more gameplay from later regions and maybe detail the changes more.

Edit: That said, I do think that it looks pretty nice, even if it does remind me of a mobile game. Mostly I just want to know if I can turn off the voices. I've got it pre-ordered but that's about the only thing I'm seriously worried about.

Last edited:

TFGB

Got my physical copy preordred from Shopto. Never played the original so looking forward to this as I loved Adventures of Mana on the Vita.

MrMorningMan

Neo Member
A nice and clean aesthetic and quite vibrant colour wise. I haven't played the original, but I quite like what they've done with the art. For younger gamers, those who probably haven't even heard of it before this remake will probably find this a lot more appealing because of changes.

JayBabay

I can live with the graphics but I do wish the game was better from a technical standpoint. The animations are pretty dated even for lower budget games releasing these days, especially the lack of lips moving when NPC’s talk. However bosses move a lot better and those animations are very much welcome.

One thing I noticed in a gameplay video was that when they were purchasing from a vendor, it didn’t show the stat boosts for equipment that they were selling. Did I miss it or is there no way to tell before buying something what the change will be?

Kremzeek

This looks like something that would have been remade for 3DS or iPad, but really I'm kinda just glad I can play a classic like this on an HDTV.
The couch co-op is irresistible.

astroglide

Ok so a few questions. What's the price on vita?

What's the file size on vita. I have the model with one gig built in. It's all I got.

Is it comming to xbox?

Paracelsus

I wonder if someone can cook an ENB for this thing, because to me it mostly seems to be an issue of tone, a shit to a more realistic one could help. Geometry and texture work are okay for a budget effort.

Velius

Banned
I just can't get into the visuals.

And it's not even the visual style. It's the bad lighting and whatnot. I really want to like this remake, but as things are, I wish they'd just bring that Japanese Switch port over this way, it would be much better than this.

kevm3

The character models look nice, but the backgrounds are bland if not ugly at times. I really wish Square would stop putting their b teams on these remakes. FF7 is the only one that is getting real development power behind it. I don't think I even want a Chrono Trigger remake after seeing what Square did with FF 6 and now this. Just hand it off to bluepoint studios and call it a day.

120v

I guess my question is why people think this looks like a mobile game or something. Most/all mobile games I've played look significantly less complicated graphic-wise. .

it's seemingly running off the adventure of mana engine. obviously touched up here and there but the game is essentially running off a "mobile" base

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
The character models look nice, but the backgrounds are bland if not ugly at times. I really wish Square would stop putting their b teams on these remakes. FF7 is the only one that is getting real development power behind it. I don't think I even want a Chrono Trigger remake after seeing what Square did with FF 6 and now this. Just hand it off to bluepoint studios and call it a day.
Well the remakes don't delete the original games. Why wouldn't you want the choice of a remake or the original?

Neo-Alec

Neo Member
Hey folks. Yeah, I agree. This game might be worth checking out a little, but the graphics and voices don't look so good. Very pointy-looking. Low polygon count. I tend not to hold out much hope for these remakes lately.

The classics are the way to go. Anyone play the next game in the series Seiken Densetsu 3/Secret of Mana 2? My brothers and I had an import copy growing up, but we never really got into it until the 3-player patch came out. By the way, since this remake of Secret of Mana is coming out soon, I decided to make a documentary video about the Seiken Densetsu 3, the English patch, the 3-player patch, and my brothers' adventures playing the patched cartridge every holiday season:

notacat

Do I still need to hold down the attack button for a few minutes to do a super attack?

Also, can I spell stack bosses?

asking the real questions

Zog

Banned
Do I still need to hold down the attack button for a few minutes to do a super attack?

Also, can I spell stack bosses?

asking the real questions

That's how the battle system works. It's not a few minutes, it's a few seconds to charge your attack and as for spell stacking, it's optional.

notacat

That's how the battle system works. It's not a few minutes, it's a few seconds to charge your attack and as for spell stacking, it's optional.

Optional my ass, that was player 2's responsibility while i tossed them acorns to renew their magic.

KiteGr

I was in Insta-buy mode with this one.
Then I saw the mobile phone graphics...
Then I saw that the retail is Gamestop exclusive (we don't even have gamestop in our country)

This is one of the biggest downers of this year. Have fun guys!

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
If a game has a blatantly broken gameplay mechanic, “just don’t use it” isn’t really a good defense.

Really hoping they fix the spell stacking “feature”. Although I get the impression that this is going to be exactly the same gameplay as the original, just replacing the (for its time, very impressive) sprite graphics with low budget 3D graphics.

Zog

Banned
If a game has a blatantly broken gameplay mechanic, “just don’t use it” isn’t really a good defense.

Really hoping they fix the spell stacking “feature”. Although I get the impression that this is going to be exactly the same gameplay as the original, just replacing the (for its time, very impressive) sprite graphics with low budget 3D graphics.
I would say that Square Enix does not consider it broken because they didn't 'fix' it in the mobile remake and I'll doubt they'll fix it here. That sends a strong message that it's in there on purpose and not a bug that got missed in 1993. It's like grinding, it's an optional easy mode for those who want to use it.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
I would say that Square Enix does not consider it broken because they didn't 'fix' it in the mobile remake and I'll doubt they'll fix it here. That sends a strong message that it's in there on purpose and not a bug that got missed in 1993. It's like grinding, it's an optional easy mode for those who want to use it.
I think it’s more of a “much easier to leave the classic gameplay untouched than to try and bring it up to modern standards” kind of thing.

And I wouldn’t compare it to level grinding. More like having an “instant win” button.

Zog

Banned
I think it’s more of a “much easier to leave the classic gameplay untouched than to try and bring it up to modern standards” kind of thing.

And I wouldn’t compare it to level grinding. More like having an “instant win” button.

So your opinion is that to add cool downs to spells would be too hard for Square Enix? LOL, I disagree. I think it's clear that the game is the way they want it to be. I don't see it as an instant win button, just as an easy boss mode. Magic replenishing items are expensive so you won't be spamming spells on normal enemies.

Personally I think it's BS to ask that a gameplay option be removed to suit you. You don't like spamming spells, just don't spam spells.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I think the oringinal is perfect and looks better. But I’m such a fan that the new one is a insta-buy just because.

Top Bottom