• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Secret of Mana Remake - PAX previews and gameplay footage

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
As much as I'm excited for this remake, the things I would give for a legend of Mana remake of re-release. Just don't to be cheeky and remix the music.

Please no.

Lunaray

As much as I'm excited for this remake, the things I would give for a legend of Mana remake of re-release. Just don't to be cheeky and remix the music.

Yes please! Fuck the haters.

Egglia is fine but I want a true remake/sequel. Make it high-res 2D and bring back Yoko Shimomura for the soundtrack. Keep the complicated crafting/pet/golem system, but ditch the map placement stuff which gates out certain quest lines. Revamp the combat and make it challenging.

Nerrel

Just seen this, it may have been posted elsewhere but I thought it was worth posting here just in case. It's new direct feed footage of the opening from IGN.

11 Minutes of Gameplay from the Secret of Mana Remake

EDIT:
I may as well add this too. A ten-minute split screen YouTube video comparing the SNES version with the remake.

Secret of Mana Quick Comparison 3D Remake Vs Original Super Nintendo PAX West 2017 Footage

Man, that voice acting sucks. I'm not sure why they cut the music during the first cutscene, it might have lessened the awkwardness of the acting and non-moving mouths. The way characters just jerk around is really off-putting... stuff like the flashes symbolizing punches just doesn't work in 3D. Some things look good- the water is really nice in motion- and it's nice to see how faithful to the original these clips look but overall it's blatantly cheap. A lot of textures aren't very sharp or clean, and the walls in the cave seem like the same rocks from the waterfall area just scaled down and recolored... they just don't look right for that area. The whole thing looks like it needs a SweetFX tweak to boost the saturation. That and the "updated" music is still the SNES midi!

From the sounds of the interview in the second clip, the gameplay isn't changed much outside of just fixing glitches. Though it does seem like Mantis ant has gotten an Odolwa-level nerf. I keep trying to give the game a chance but there's no way in hell this is worth $40. I'd honestly rather have gotten the 16-bit game again with those glitches fixed there.

zeopower6

I keep trying to give the game a chance but there's no way in hell this is worth $40. I'd honestly rather have gotten the 16-bit game again with those glitches fixed there.

If you really don't think so then wait for a sale. Jesus.

Mael

I hate everything they did with the sound effect, from the hero who can't fucking shut up to general sound effect.

LordKano

The UI looks like it's been taken out of a FF android port.
Secret-of-Mana_2017_09-06-17_019.jpg

Nerrel

If you really don't think so then wait for a sale. Jesus.

You don't think developers have to live up to any kind of standard of quality? When people saw the $40 price, they assumed the money was going into the voice acting and new music arrangements, since the visuals are the same as a $15 mobile game. They clearly aren't spending much on those things (the actors sound like interns and the music is nearly identical to the original), and the gameplay was described as being "exactly like the original" minus some glitch fixes. I'm not seeing where the $40 cost is justified.

I'm not trying to be persistently negative, but I keep lowering the bar and what I see still falls under it. With such simple visuals, I was hoping they'd at least have smooth animation and a fully redone soundtrack; the game has so much potential to sound amazing with just a handful of real instruments: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpTQporBDwo

Instead we get janky visuals, janky animation, janky acting, minor gameplay tweaks, and pretty much the same OST. It's not even a matter of picking it up on sale, it looks like it'd be better to just not play it at all and stick with the SNES version.

FiveSide

Banned
Wonder if they've revamped the magic system. That was the game's Achilles heel, magic was straight-up broken.

Also hope you can turn voices off. It just seems...I don't know...more authentic to the original experience that way.

Cyhwuhx

Neo Member
That menu suddenly reminded of the fact that I haven't seen the patented Ring Menu(TM) in action. Don't hope that's been removed... The only drawback about it in the original was that it paused the game, if they can fix that it should be perfect.

Psxphile

So was Primm always an elf girl, or...?

That menu suddenly reminded of the fact that I haven't seen the patented Ring Menu(TM) in action. Don't hope that's been removed... The only drawback about it in the original was that it paused the game, if they can fix that it should be perfect.
- it's still there
- it still pauses the action

Only thing we haven't seen yet is whether or not magic can be chained to cheese bosses.

Cyhwuhx

Neo Member
So was Primm always an elf girl, or...?

- it's still there
- it still pauses the action

Only thing we haven't seen yet is whether or not magic can be chained to cheese bosses.

Well, OK, I can live with the old menu.

The magic chaining would be OK if it's somehow balanced (max. amount of casts in a chain?). It might have been a glitch, but it did make magic interesting. Especially when it allowed you to force a 8:99 overdrive on lower levels.

However, based on the other improvements so far, I'm not holding my breath.

Primm had the elf ears in the original art.

latest

I wonder if Marle and Primm share a common origin dating back to the days when Secret of Mana and Chrono Trigger were the same Super CD-ROM game project. Masato Kato's early sketches for the cast of Chrono Trigger described Marle as an elf king's daughter disguised as an aristocrat.

j6vgOyB.jpg

Top Bottom