• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Secret of Mana Remake - PAX previews and gameplay footage

zeopower6

They should make such a remake for Seiken Densetsu 3. I guess I'll buy this one to make that more likely to happen.

Basically in 2015 they said "if Adventures of Mana does well, then perhaps we will do a remake of Secret of Mana or Seiken Densetsu 3!"...

Come 2017 and they are releasing Secret of Mana's remake in 2018.

I am assuming 2018/2019 for SD3 remake.

The mini map is utterly pointless haha.

Looking pretty good though, can't wait to play it, enjoyed it with my sister in the past.

zeopower6

The mini map is utterly pointless haha.

Looking pretty good though, can't wait to play it, enjoyed it with my sister in the past.

I don't know, I always had to refer back to the map in Adventures of Mana so this is a welcome addition. I imagine they will do the sameish thing if AoM comes to PS4.

Interesting. So in everything the remake is still trying to stay true to the gameplay mechanics of the original.

Yup, looks like it's 100% true to the original gameplay mechanics with some bug fixes. Though it seems that the new thing that has been bothering lots of people is the cutscenes direction, which I believe is highly related to the new 3D artstyle. I think most fans would be fine (or maybe pleased) if everything is displayed from top-down like the original.

Christian

The original is seriously my favorite game of all time. I really hope this remake does it justice. Besides some of the technical glitches, I cannot think of anything about it I would change. Oh, well, even if this doesn't turn out great, we always have the SNES game.

zeopower6

Interesting. So in everything the remake is still trying to stay true to the gameplay mechanics of the original.

IIRC, this was the same for Adventures of Mana too. When/if they do SD3, they'll likely keep gameplay mechanics for the most part the same as well, with updates elsewhere.

It looks tolerable and I'm still excited to play it but I feel like the camera is sorta...too high above the character's heads? Like, I can't even really see what the Mantis Ant looks like in that first boss fight.

I waited in line and watched gameplay. I decided to leave the moment I saw the delayed damage numbers and poor animation timing that plagued the original.

The graphics update I can tolerate. The combat in the original was incredibly sluggish due to the SNES' hardware limitations. Square-Enix's decision to remain "faithful" to this flaw feels more like the publisher takes the fans for granted.

Mark my words: This is going to end up just like Turtles In Time Reshelled or Duck Tales Remastered, a cosmetic remaster that does little-to-nothing to improve on the original. Otherwise, I'll eat crow.

EDIT: I want to stress that this is NOT a remake, but a remaster. Nothing has noticeably changed outside of the graphics. Metroid: Zero Mission is a remake from the ground up. The upcoming FFVII remake is obviously a remake.

I waited in line and watched gameplay. I decided to leave the moment I saw the delayed damage numbers and poor animation timing that plagued the original.

The graphics update I can tolerate. The combat in the original was incredibly sluggish due to the SNES' hardware limitations. Square-Enix's decision to remain "faithful" to this flaw feels more like the publisher takes the fans for granted.

Mark my words: This is going to end up just like Turtles In Time Reshelled or Duck Tales Remastered, a cosmetic remaster that does little-to-nothing to improve on the original. Otherwise, I'll eat crow.

EDIT: I want to stress that this is NOT a remake, but a remaster. Nothing has noticeably changed outside of the graphics. Metroid: Zero Mission is a remake from the ground up. The upcoming FFVII remake is obviously a remake.

Ducktales Remastered absolutely improved on the original, wtf are you talking about

ffvorax

Saw the gameplay video... well it looks better than expected to me, and the combat seems good enough. Reminds me of Alundra in some way...

I'll go back to the hype train! :)

I knew anyway that I would have bought it anyway... ...

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal

It's a remake, not a remaster. They literally remade the entire game in 3D. You can't get much more remade than that. Having improvements or differences has absolutely nothing to do with being a remake. A remake just means making it again from scratch.

A remaster is when you take an existing game and build upon it. Usually by upping the resolution and maybe replacing some textures with better ones to make it look good on modern screens.

Ducktales Remastered is a remake, despite the title.
Final Fantasy X HD is a remaster.
Zero Mission is a remake.
All the pre HD games in Rare Replay are remasters.

ookami

If you want portability, we have a product for you. It's called the Sony PlayStation Vita entertainment system. - Some PR guy, probably.
😂

Looks like a mobile game or an indie console game. It does not look very smooth in motion and animations. Not even an effort when characters speak. Though I really like the art style.
Well ... Hope we'll get a demo to see if the handling is good.

Reminds me of Alundra in some way...
Woaaah, loved that game. I just had a nostalgia attack.

DonMigs85

It's a remake, not a remaster. They literally remade the entire game in 3D. You can't get much more remade than that. Having improvements or differences has absolutely nothing to do with being a remake. A remake just means making it again from scratch.

A remaster is when you take an existing game and build upon it. Usually by upping the resolution and maybe replacing some textures with better ones to make it look good on modern screens.

Ducktales Remastered is a remake, despite the title.
Final Fantasy X HD is a remaster.
Zero Mission is a remake.
All the pre HD games in Rare Replay are remasters.
Correct. God of War 3 and Uncharted Collection on PS4 are also remasters. Resident Evil on GameCube is a remake, as well as Super Mario All-Stars and the Dragon Quest games on DS and mobile.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
The original is seriously my favorite game of all time. I really hope this remake does it justice. Besides some of the technical glitches, I cannot think of anything about it I would change. Oh, well, even if this doesn't turn out great, we always have the SNES game.

Eh, I'm a really big Secret of Mana fan but I'm pretty much over the endless grinding of magic levels, so I wouldn't mind if they balanced that in some way.

Cyhwuhx

Neo Member
Looks good, even though I do prefer the SNES graphics. The music seems to be taken from the Secret of Mana Genesis rearrangement album, which makes me a happy rabbite, but it does smack a bit of cheap development.

More problematic is that player characters don't have the 100% 'blink' animation from the SNES version any more, after reaching 100% with their weapon charge. Which means your only cue to start attacking at full strength is the associated sound effect or constantly eyeing the charge bar, which can become rather problematic in 3 player mode. Hope they add it back in the final version.

This, though even in motion it really doesn't look good at all. Like a DS game with higher resolution at best, Vita has similar power to a freaking PS3, cmon

The combat issue is unforgivable though. Should have been a 3DS remake made by Grezzo or something, this just looks like the laziest cashgrab for fans of the original. If SD3 remake looks like trash too well at this point I just hope that the Switch port of it gets localised

Klart

How did the 3 player coop work in the original?

Could you drop in/drop out? Can you play with three from the start? Can you continue a campaign that started with two/three players alone & vice versa?

How did the 3 player coop work in the original?

Could you drop in/drop out? Can you play with three from the start? Can you continue a campaign that started with two/three players alone & vice versa?

drop in/drop out, you can't play with three from the start, only once you pick up the second and third characters. basically they were just AI until someone decided to pick up a controller and take control of one of them

FinalAres

I had Sword Of Mana on the GBA and it is one of only two games I've ever returned. I just found it utterly uninvolving. Is the remake significantly better?

I remember not enjoying all the gumf about seasons in the GBA version.
Sorry, only just seen this.

I'm afraid I haven't played Sword of Mana, but my impressions of Adventures of Mana is that it is enjoyable, but barebones. It reminds me a lot of that DS Remake of FF3. Its good, but not particularly standout.

No, you need to first get the characters in your party. This happens really early for the second, a bit later for the third.
To expand upon this:
Shortly after defeating the first boss, you must visit a temple for some plot progression, afterwards you have a choice.

You can either recruit Primm (the girl) or Popoi (the sprite) first. It all comes down to preference really, Most people end up getting Popoi first, simply because he's a little more convenient.

It's possible to get Primm earlier by visiting Pandora Castle. After she joins, she'll order you to go to the witch's forest. Eventually, your progress will be halted by structures that require an axe to destroy. The Boy will suggest that they go to Gaea's Navel and see the Blacksmith for a suitable weapon. If you go straight to Gaea's Navel without visiting the forest, Primm will leave.

It's like I said though, most people are going to head straight to Gaea's Navel, where they'll meet Popoi. Afterwards, they'll go to the forest and meet Primm. The alternative path simply makes the earlier portions a little easier.

In any case, recruiting both characters shouldn't take more than an hour or so.

starmud

This just makes me want to play the original again... the art style kills it for me. there are moments it reminds me of PS2 style RPGs that all had the same design (albeit not as smooth but still), which gives me some nostalgia feelings.

For a game like this I'd hope a remake would push something not as safe or generic.

I'm on the fence, until it hits the sale bin anyway...

Pinky

Banned
Still not feeling the visuals, but it's not terrible either. SoM is one of the best SNES games ever, so I will give this a shot.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Randi? Primm? Popoi? o_O I never knew they even had official names. Those sound real funky. Hope ya can still name 'em whatever ya want. Sprite will always be Sprite to me cause I'm an uncreative dummy hehe!

Khalme

Neo Member
To expand upon this:
Shortly after defeating the first boss, you must visit a temple for some plot progression, afterwards you have a choice.

You can either recruit Primm (the girl) or Popoi (the sprite) first. It all comes down to preference really, Most people end up getting Popoi first, simply because he's a little more convenient.
When I was a kid I had no idea you could get Popoi first.
Everytime I played the game me and my brother went with Primm to the forest and got Popoi later. Maybe some of the hints were lost in the french translation.
It's kind of amazing to realize this 22 years later.

Randi? Primm? Popoi? o_O I never knew they even had official names. Those sound real funky. Hope ya can still name 'em whatever ya want. Sprite will always be Sprite to me cause I'm an uncreative dummy hehe!
Same here, for me they were "Boy", "Girl" and "Sprite"

The protagonist of Seiken Densetsu 1's official name is "Sumo" lol

Raitaro

I'll buy this regardless as a big Mana fan but I can't deny that an option to switch back to the original sprite art - ideally now redrawn to fill a widescreen format ala Wild Guns: Reloaded - would have been far better for me.

I don't dislike the new graphics per se when looking at them in a vacuum but when compared to the original they do lack a lot of charm imo. To the point of me getting bored with looking at the game world a bit too quickly instead of falling in love with it every time booted up the original in the past.

Durante

Everytime I played the game me and my brother went with Primm to the forest and got Popoi later. Maybe some of the hints were lost in the french translation.
Same here, I didn't know until today in fact.

Is that with the werewolves in the spooky forest? That boss fight was soooooo hard

Syril

You can even make Primm leave the party if you try to go to Gaea's Navel with her without doing the forest first.

Syril

Just seen this, it may have been posted elsewhere but I thought it was worth posting here just in case. It's new direct feed footage of the opening from IGN.

11 Minutes of Gameplay from the Secret of Mana Remake

EDIT:
I may as well add this too. A ten-minute split screen YouTube video comparing the SNES version with the remake.

Secret of Mana Quick Comparison 3D Remake Vs Original Super Nintendo PAX West 2017 Footage

Okay so looking at that video they changed the sprinting to be like Secret of Evermore, where it drains your stamina while you move and you can change directions while running, instead of like in the original version where you could only run in a straight line for as long as you want but then you had to recover your stamina from 0% as if you had attacked. Seeing as the normal walking speed in this version was severely slowed down, running might just take you to the original speed. I wonder if they did anything to change the weapon charged attacks.

Man I don't know. Still don't like the look of this. Playable and visible area is probably very similar but it just "looks" too zoomed in, like the character takes up too much space in the world, which was never a problem in the original.

It also has the issue of a lot of PS2-era remakes where combat and actions have no weight behind them. Sound effects and animations are pretty terrible.

Thanks for the refresher, it's been atleast 15 years, if not closer to 20 years since my last completion. But still remember this bit, and some lore about the moon palace? being incoherent to nonexistent.

Yup. Moon Palace was a 3 minute dungeon with maybe 5 enemies total and once you reach the end, all the spirit says is basically "oh hey take me along thanks".

tbm24

As much as I'm excited for this remake, the things I would give for a legend of Mana remake of re-release. Just don't to be cheeky and remix the music.

Top Bottom