• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Secret of Mana Remake - PAX previews and gameplay footage

Thanks to Begaria for finding them.
NOW WE IN IT - previews and full footage!

Hands-On With The Secret of Mana Remake
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu.../hands-on-with-the-secret-of-mana-remake.aspx

Secret Of Mana Hands-On: The Return Of A Legend
http://comicbook.com/gaming/2017/09/03/secret-of-mana-hands-on-the-return-of-a-legend

Twitch - interview with a developer and Gameplay
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/172092350?t=11s

Positive previews so far (despite misgivings of the graphical style from them) and seeing the gameplay from the get go is nice.

Just seen this, it may have been posted elsewhere but I thought it was worth posting here just in case. It's new direct feed footage of the opening from IGN.

11 Minutes of Gameplay from the Secret of Mana Remake

EDIT:
I may as well add this too. A ten-minute split screen YouTube video comparing the SNES version with the remake.

Secret of Mana Quick Comparison 3D Remake Vs Original Super Nintendo PAX West 2017 Footage

Gameplay is looking good, imho. Not as bad as people make it out to be on the initial reveal.

Zolbrod

Was hoping for a more drastically arranged soundtrack, like the remake of the first game, but the rest looks great.

I'll take it!

I actually really dig the 3D models. They match the general aesthetics of the sprites pretty well, especially with respects to their color palettes.

Rpgmonkey

The story scenes seem unnecessarily "inspired" by the original which looks weird/cheap to me, but the combat seems like it'll be a little tighter.

I just bought that Switch collection, so it'll be fun to compare in a couple months and see what changed for better or worse.

God dammit, this is coming to the Vita but not the Switch? Mother fuck, I didn't want to buy it for the vita, I'll hold out on the hope of them dropping it on the Switch.

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
It's...reassuring. Exteriors actually look pretty good, it's the interiors that look really bland and kinda bad in comparison.

But I'm starting to feel a hint of hype again.

Also wish we'll be able to turn off that minimap. And dancing shopkeepers pls k tks.

I was hoping they will add some extra content or restore the cut stuff but I'm started to believe this will be a strait up conversion of the original game.
Hope I'm wrong though.

FinalAres

I was hoping they will add some extra content or restore the cut stuff but I'm started to believe this will be a strait up conversion of the original game.
Hope I'm wrong though.
It will be a straight up conversion, for sure.

Adventures of Mana (the last Remake in this style) was extremely close to the original. Like super close. It was much more faithful than the previous Remake of the same game, Sword of Mana.

Arzehn

Looks great, the area slash seems to extend pretty far though, maybe they should tone it down a little, stab looks fine.

I'm still not a fan of the art style but the games are classics and if the gameplay is intact then that's good enough for me.

Durante

I think it looks exactly the same during gameplay as the screenshots implied. Which is pretty decent, certainly good enough.

Have we had confirmation that it runs at 60 FPS? That's pretty important for a game like this, and obviously it should.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
It looks good...but is obv. missing the charm of the 2D original. Dont know if ill bother with it after getting it already on the SNES Mini.

Oh man this looks dope. I can't wait to be 12 again and play this with my twin brother in front of a TV for hours on end. XD

Was laughing when they were talking about the final form of the Sword being Excalibur in the Twitch preview. I'm thinking to myself, "Yeah, it is...if you're a pleb and didn't get the Mana Sword mwahaha".

Widge

It looks better in motion than in screenshots.

Well, I'm interested in this.

Absolutely. The animation looks good, the environments are significantly less static than the original. It's an absolute uplift and the only thing I have a beef with is user correctable, which is the generic anime voiceover.

Widge

It will be a straight up conversion, for sure.

Adventures of Mana (the last Remake in this style) was extremely close to the original. Like super close. It was much more faithful than the previous Remake of the same game, Sword of Mana.

I had Sword Of Mana on the GBA and it is one of only two games I've ever returned. I just found it utterly uninvolving. Is the remake significantly better?

I remember not enjoying all the gumf about seasons in the GBA version.

DiGiKerot

A bit weird that it differs slightly from the actual game though.

Could be wrong on this, since I didn't play it, but I think they're using the newer/updated pixel art from the prior mobile phone port of the game rather than the original SNES art for the map.

duckroll

I had Sword Of Mana on the GBA and it is one of only two games I've ever returned. I just found it utterly uninvolving. Is the remake significantly better?

I remember not enjoying all the gumf about seasons in the GBA version.

Sword of Mana is the sort of remake that adds a ton of bloat and reimagines the game as something no one who liked the original would really want. Adventures of Mana is a faithful remake of the original that isn't stuck up its own ass. It's not an amazing game but it's a pretty fun action RPG which is well paced and cute.

DonMigs85

I think it looks exactly the same during gameplay as the screenshots implied. Which is pretty decent, certainly good enough.

Have we had confirmation that it runs at 60 FPS? That's pretty important for a game like this, and obviously it should.

I think it would be sinful if the PS4 version wasn't

Top Bottom