• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Secret of Mana Remake - PAX previews and gameplay footage

JaffeLion

Banned
wy1B3oy.gif

Game looks pretty good to me still. The in gameplay stuff specifically. I do believe it's overpriced though for a digital only game. I want a physical copy. I think I might wait until someone bites the bullet and finds out if the JP version has English subs/voices.

sphinx

the piano man
has a retail version been already announced for the west?

I want to buy and own a case and a bluray CD with Secret of Mana art on it -_-

c1d

Replicating the cut-scenes in 3D looks really weird (particularly referring to the characters walking around before the mantis ant fight)

120v

hmm... so the OST is confirmed re-arranged? sounds exactly the same to me

not that i'm complaining. if kikuta is handling it i don't hold any reservations

JP

Oh, it's cool that the minimap is the SNES game.
I know that he says it is the SNES version in the video but from what I can tell the graphics are actually very different to the original game in places.
PS4 said:

SNES said:

I know it'll never happen but I'm still hoping that there will be an option to play the game in 2D as they'll already have the map graphics in the game, obviously it will depend on the quality of the 2D images but hopefully they'll be nice enough to include it at a high enough level for it to be playable.

I know that he says it is the SNES version in the video but from what I can tell the graphics are actually very different to the original game in places.

I know it'll never happen but I'm still hoping that there will be an option to play the game in 2D as they'll already have the map graphics in the game, obviously it will depend on the quality of the 2D images but hopefully they'll be nice enough to include it at a high enough level for it to be playable.

The maps are definitely the Android version.

JP

The maps are definitely the Android version.
That's what it looks like to me too although obviously without things like the water reflections.

Mobile said:

I think what that PR bloke meant was that the map is essentially the same as the original SNES game even though the graphics were "improved" for the mobile version. The layout is essentially the same though.

Because it is the mobile game, in part that's what's making me hope that the 2D version will be playable as an option. I don't know what resolution it ran at on mobile but it wouldn't be much of a surprise if they had 1080p versions of the artwork available.

I still don't think that would happen but I am going to carry on hoping that it does.

Kouriozan

Artstyle is really bland and lacking style, gonna be hard to get used to it.
It's supposed to be Secret of Mana! Not some generic Vita games.

zeopower6

Artstyle is really bland and lacking style, gonna be hard to get used to it.
It's supposed to be Secret of Mana! Not some generic Vita games.

They did this to facilitate remakes. So.. .expect Seiken Densetsu 3 after this IMO. Rise of Mana was the first 3D iteration then Adventures of Mana built on that engine then... we got this. Next up, SD3... then SD5? :D

Watched the PAX West video. Hype through the roof.

Music sounds amazing. Looks amazing. Enjoy the mini-map. Possible SD3 remake(surely if this sells well). Seems they're really upgrading the original game while keeping everything in tact. So awesome. No multi-tap needed for 3 players either. I'm sure most people only played with 2 on the SNES. Also dude said they're getting rid of some of the bugs, probably like characters wandering off on their own and getting stuck on something.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Looks like shit but will be buying it because it's Secret of Mana and the music/gameplay is fire

JP

I wonder if there's any change they'll move onto PS1 remasters at some point? I'd actually be really happy with "PS2 on PS4" style remasters of many of Square's games. There are so many wonderful Square & Enix games across the SNES and PS1, quite probably the best period for those companies.

Widge

I wonder if there's any change they'll move onto PS1 remasters at some point? I'd actually be really happy with "PS2 on PS4" style remasters of many of Square's games. There are so many wonderful Square & Enix games across the SNES and PS1, quite probably the best period for those companies.

I mean this looks lightyears ahead of the FF3 & 4 remakes, but that is no doubt down to the target platforms being a wee bit more beefy than a DS. I'd be happy for FF5 and 6 in this style.

Beartruck

Looks like they fixed the first boss fight with the mantis so he doesn't spam insta hit magic spells. Good. That fight was bullshit.

Quonny

I am going to legit cry playing this.

I replay this game every year around my birthday. I love it so much and it will forever be an important part of my life.

BriGuy

I'm hopeful. At least enough to not bother starting the SNES Classic version until I see reviews for this. It looks like they fixed the way the screen scrolls. In the original, you had to be pressing against the very edge of the screen and couldn't really see what you were headed into.

I'm not really sure I get the beginning / ending discussion for how this game came about. Square-Enix just decided to remake the game suddenly, choose very specific platforms to release it on, and leave out online coop for some reason unknown to basically anyone?

Again, I love that it is getting attention but the reveal of this / its chosen release date / the features they decided to add are very bizarre and appear to have been made in a vacuum. One of my favorite RPGs of all time though, so if you haven't played it this is def worth it in all likelihood.

Ludens

Banned
I still can't see the 40€ value here. It looks nothing different from Steam remakes of FF titles, and those are half the price of this.
It would be nice having the original version too with this remake as in-game extra, of course SE won't do nothing like that.

120v

I still can't see the 40€ value here. It looks nothing different from Steam remakes of FF titles, and those are half the price of this.
It would be nice having the original version too with this remake as in-game extra, of course SE won't do nothing like that.

both those titles retailed around the same price on DS (which the steam ports derived from). and i think they were initially $30 or so on steam, so they were never particularly "budget titles"

yeah its not an AAA production but music, graphics, VA and everything is overhauled. if the original game was never your thing of course you won't see the value but it's one of the most beloved titles of the 90s. $40 isn't off the mark

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
The official site has some voice line samples from all 3 characters. Purim sounds like a generic anime girl, whatever, but man Popoie sounds SO bad. I really hope there's a volume slider for the voices.

I mean it really does. Those are either DS remasters or reworking of sprites. This is significantly grades higher than those titles.

Indeed. They need to revisit FF DS remakes again.

This is significantly above the production value of those titles.

Oneself

Cutscenes look bad and cheap but the gameplay looks fine, music sounds great and, well, Secret of Mana is the first game I bought with my own money and I have so many great memories about it. Day one for sure.

Nope still hate the art style and everything looks so damn cheap. Look at the boss dying effect it looks so boring and cheap compared to the original which was always a highlight and really felt like a reward itself.

Also the way the boss moved was really concerning, it was very slow and seemed really easy to dodge which while the first boss in the game on the SNES version was never hard it was easy to get hit multiple times by it if you didn't know what you were doing but here you can literally run around behind the thing and it can't hit you.

I get the feeling the game is going to be way to damn easy (even compared with the original) just for how many of the larger bosses are going to work.

It just feels so damn cheap, I want this remake to be a lot better when what were getting, I'm not saying it needed to be like FF7 remake quality or some BS like that but looking at it you know it looks cheap and generic which is the opposite of what the original game was. It had its own unique art style with darker tones while still being bright and colorful, even its sequel didn't look like the same game. This just looks like a cheap mobile port which is really sad to me.

It's a similar problem that FF6 had for mobile, they tried to use these 'high res' assets and they were cheap with it so it looked god awful when it really didn't need to.

Top Bottom