• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seeming surge of hate crimes, assaults, intimidation in wake of Trump victory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Airola

The guy is going to ruin the entire planet with his climate change denial, he wants to create a database for all American Muslims, he's hiring comic book villains for his cabinet, his VP thinks rape victims who have abortions wants to get raped more and allocates AIDS research money into gay conversion therapy, is willing to sink his state economy because of anti-gay rights, and on and on.

What's the point of this?

How is that related to anything I posted? Other than "but Trump is evil" of course?

I just said that I'm amazed how people hear "deport illegal immigrants" as "deport all immigrants."
And that while that kind of stupidity was obvious with the racist pro-Trump people, it seems also be true with some anti-Trump people too.
You know, in a thread about these hate crimes and assaults.

How is "trump is evil in this and this and this and that and that way too" a reasonable reply to what I wrote?
It was not about what Trump is but what some of his supporters and opposers are. In a thread about what these supporters and opposers are doing.
Bringing in the list of Trump's faults isn't bringing anything to that discussion.

Mifune

Mehmber
Trump saying "Stop it" in a TV interview is not enough. He needs to get out there and issue a direct statement to his followers. Do the responsible thing and talk about it at length, not just bury it in a sound bite.

Trump: "We'll deport every illegal immigrant."

Pro-Trump: "Trump wants to deport every immigrant!! KILL ALL JEWS AND BLACKS AND MEXICANS AND MUSLIMS!!"

Anti-Trump: "Trump wants to deport every immigrant!! No-one is safe!! He's hateful, his supporters all are racist pieces of shit, FIGHT BACK, ASSASSINATE!!"

Yeah, I know "sheesh, not the both sides argument again" but god damn it...

You know that's not what his ass said. When Trump announced his campaign he demonized EVERY Mexican by saying they're rapists and bring drugs/crime.

If he wanted to single out the illegals then he should've just said "The illegal immigrants are taking our jobs and driving down our wages, we need to kick them out!"

And that's not including his discrimination against a hispanic Judge on the Trump U. case or the Central Park Five comments. His ass created this mess by himself and he needs to be held accountable for it.

~Kinggi~

Banned
His reaction and looking at the camera saying 'stop it' felt genuine in some odd way, in the way that someone is realizing what the fuck is happening and they have lost control. Dumbshit.

Airola

You know that's not what his ass said. When Trump announced his campaign he demonized EVERY Mexican by saying they're rapists and bring drugs/crime.

I thought the context there was those who are illegally there.
If not, then I'm wrong of course and make myself deport this thread.

Lime

His reaction and looking at the camera saying 'stop it' felt genuine in some odd way, in the way that someone is realizing what the fuck is happening and they have lost control. Dumbshit.

Yet he chose to elect Steve Bannon, a white supremacist anti-semitic homophobic Islamophobic misogynist (just trying to cover all the bases he has touched).

What's the point of this?

The point is that his actions and words all reflect that of a fascist and we should take it incredibly serious. There's no moderate approach to engaging with his views and actions.

Actions speak louder than words, Mr. Trump. And hiring a white supremacist/nationalist to be your senior advisor/chief strategist tells me everything I need to know.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Upon reading on what that host is, I guess the implication is that it's pretty peculiar you'd use an image host created by alt right shitheads when imgur couldn't tolerate them anymore, and you just so happen to always be there with "but look at that Trump hate :-/" concern.

It doesn't mean that the content is false or anything, mind you, just that you're pretty fucking transparent.
Well well well. Thanks for the information.

Lime

Saw this on Twitter and thought it's important to keep in mind in relation to this thread.

FYI. There is not a "spike in hate crimes". It's much more accurate to say institutionally legitimated and endorsed violence has begun.

Lime

Sorry for posting third time in a row, but:

trump4rr0e.jpg

daviyoung

Banned
That doesn't matter when the message isn't consistent across his platform and that he even downplays it by saying "I haven't seen it!" "I've seen small amounts!" "I've seen it one or two times!"

"stop it" is a pretty clear message, it just doesn't pass through all your hoops

GhostBed

"stop it" is a pretty clear message, it just doesn't pass through all your hoops

Are you suggesting we shouldn't be critical of the way the leader of the free world addresses his country? Really? "Stop it" is not a fucking sincere message.

"Stop it...if it...if it helps." This idiot has no clue what he's doing. He's in way over his head. His joke went too far.

Lime

My "hoops" are what is required to broadly condemn hate crimes by the US president elect. The fact that he's so terrible at it while his whole platform is silent about it while he freaking hires a white supremacist should be sufficient analysis.

Are you suggesting we shouldn't be critical of the way the leader of the free world addresses his country? Really? "Stop it" is not a fucking sincere message.

"Stop it...if it...if it helps." This idiot has no clue what he's doing. He's in way over his head. His joke went too far.

He also indicated that the claims are exaggerated.

Spoken with all the conviction of a disinterested mother asking a child not to pick its nose.

"I'm surprised to hear that."

No you're not, you sweaty, glistening turd. There's not a single person on the face of this entire planet who is surprised to see the class of people which make up your supporters acting like the violent, racist slime they are.

I thought the context there was those who are illegally there.
If not, then I'm wrong of course and make myself deport this thread.

"And some, I assume, are good people" is an afterthought sentence. A backhanded one at that.

It's "I'm not racist, but".

He said it with the conviction of a man that thought simply saying it once would stop it.

He needs to hold a press conference.

ISOM

Stop it, is not clear enough when you were elected based off biotry, racism and hatred. Millions of people felt their views enabled with his win. He better do a lot more than a few words that don't sound all that sincere.

Lime

2 More Churches Vandalized With Trump, Racist Graffiti

At least two more churches have been vandalized with what appears to be pro-Donald Trump racist graffiti, according to the houses of worship.

One of the churches, St. David's Episcopal, in Beanblossom, Ind., was targeted sometime Saturday, a Facebook post from the church says.

"Three tags were painted on the outside of the church," the post says, including "Heil Trump" and a swastika.

"We are disappointed that our safe haven has been vandalized but will not let the actions of a few damper our love of Christ and the world," the statement says. "We will continue to live out our beliefs and acceptance of all people and respecting the dignity of every human being. We pray for the perpetrators as well as those who the derogatory marks were directed at."

Rev. Kelsey Hutto said "we must be doing something right," according to the Indianapolis Star. "We stated one time that doing the right thing was not always the popular thing. We were targeted for a reason, and in our mind it was for a good reason."

And in a statement, Indianapolis Bishop Cate Waynick said the tone of the election has "emboldened" some.

"We do not know who is responsible for the vandalism," Waynick said in the statement. "What we do know is that the kind of language used during the recent Presidential campaign has emboldened some people to become openly abusive and insulting. Our option as faithful people is to be sure we don't respond in kind."

Separately, in an Episcopal church in Silver Spring, Md., a sign advertising the Spanish-language mass was vandalized with "Trump Nation, Whites Only," according to the Episcopal Diocese of Washington, DC.

"I am heartsick, and can only imagine how the people of Our Saviour, one of the most culturally diverse parishes in the diocese, feel," Bishop Marian Budde said in the Facebook post.

More than 200 incidents of reported harassment and intimidation have been reported since Election Day, according to the Southern Poverty Law Center.

Earlier this month, a black church in Mississippi was vandalized with "Vote Trump" and burned.

"This matter is being investigated as a hate crime," Greenville Mayor Errick Simmons said in a statement at the time. "This act is a direct assault of people's right to freely worship. Moreover, this matter is being investigated with all deliberate speed and we will not rest until the culprit is found and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law."

Trump has been criticized for not immediately disavowing the support of former KKK grand wizard David Duke, although he later did so. He also has been criticized for choosing former Breitbart chief and alt-right hero Steve Bannon as his chief strategist.

Trump, for his part, has said he is the "least racist" person and, when questioned about the heated rhetoric that has flared up around the campaign, he told CBS News that he would tell perpetrators to "stop it."

Lime

Male Donald Trump supporter punches woman in the face in Brooklyn

A male Donald Trump supporter punched a woman in the face at a Brooklyn restaurant on Saturday after arguing about the result of the election, witnesses told the local media outlets.

The suspect was eating is dinner with his wife when he began arguing with two women seated next to him after they expressed disappointment over Mr Trump’s victory. “It’s the worst thing ever — a guy in front of kids punching a girl in the face,” Jonas Leon, the manager on duty at Bar Tarmac, told the Brooklyn Paper on Monday.

When the couple was finished with their meal, the man darted back into the restaurant, punching one of the women in her face.

“The guy came back almost running, and he started pushing some customer and the high-chair next to him with the baby because he couldn’t reach the girl,” Leon told the Brooklyn newspaper. “Then he punched the girl.”

Another witness, Katie Freeman of Boerum Hill who was with her toddler, friend and friend’s daughter, confirmed the manager’s story. “I went up to her and she just held me and started sobbing and said ‘What is happening? I just got assaulted.’”

gfxtwin

I heard the argument "He might just be pretending to be a facist/racist to expose people in society who really are that person but don't show it"

which makes sense to a point. That point being all the hate crimes on the rise and the way his image is causing divisiveness among younger people who don't know any better.

How can we still remain a democracy if someone who literally behaves like a dictator is elected? Why isn't be being impeached?

Trump is on Twitter all the fucking time. He has no problem making up bullshit about Alicia Machado at fucking 4 in the morning, but can't be bothered to pick up the phone with his stubby little toe fingers and type out condemnation of this. In fact, he condemned the protests faster than he ever addressed these incidents.

Fuck Trump. The statement he did that barely qualifies as one during 60 Minutes is a limp-dick response. If he's so concerned about unity and having people "not being afraid", how about he apologizes for his putrid rhetoric that got people this fired up to commit hate crimes in the first place? Until then, he continues to implicitly approve of this activity.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
anecdotal, but some new guy at work told me how his friend was assaulted by a "trump supporter"

weird story short, the guy who assaulted his friend thought he was empathizing with an "illegal" and like threw the guy off his chair when conversation got heated. and the dude who assaulted his friend was supposedly hispanic too

i wonder how often im going to hear random stories like this now.

Trump is on Twitter all the fucking time. He has no problem making up bullshit about Alicia Machado at fucking 4 in the morning, but can't be bothered to pick up the phone with his stubby little toe fingers and type out condemnation of this. In fact, he condemned the protests faster than he ever addressed these incidents.

Fuck Trump. The statement he did that barely qualifies as one during 60 Minutes is a limp-dick response. If he's so concerned about unity and having people "not being afraid", how about he apologizes for his putrid rhetoric that got people this fired up to commit hate crimes in the first place? Until then, he continues to implicitly approve of this activity.

Hint: He doesn't care about anyone who isn't white.

Hell, he appointed Steven Bannon as Chief Strategist & Senior Counselor. And if you look at his background, you'll be shocked at who he represents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom