• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA 3D Classics Collection hitting retail in North America (April 26th, $29.99)

IrishNinja

Cool. They should rename Maze Walker to its US/EU title of Maze Hunter 3D though. =]

huh...yeah, that is a better name right there

So, out of curiosity, what's so special about Puyo Puyo 2 vs. the trillions of other games in the series? I've never been super deep into the series, so I have no idea.

this one is approachable but you quickly get wrecked when you realize the game was meant for some whats-his-name-from-genshiken level mastery
wait no i just described every game in the series that i've yet played

Disappointing honestly to read all those things ... Sega is doomed with being a posthumous publisher.

i mean, they drop the ball no doubt, but the meme-like responses on here sometimes are silly; personally i thought their last gen output was their finest post-DC

So what does Sega have for digital fans who actually supported the series from the start and own half or more of the titles in this collection?

Power Drifffffft
wait, i forget, do these come with themes? i wanna say i recall reading the JP ones did

Power Drift is significant because the only home versions released in the west (EU, NA) were shitty computer ports.

Japan got ports that ranged from decent to good to outstanding.

PC-Engine - Saturn (arcade quality but 30fps) - Dreamcast (60fps)

excellent point - bums me out too, cause the Saturn Ages one isn't on the cheap end, and i've always wanted Yu Suzuki Gameworks largely for the DC disc but man is it hard to find for a good price!

Not sure if they'll keep this bonus in the American release, but the Japanese cartridge unlocks the Master System version of Fantasy Zone if it detects 3D Fantasy Zone on your system.

oh man, this just keeps getting better!
i totally got to the last guy in the SMS one and died, shit broke my heart

this is the 2nd collection that was released in japan. its not as good as the first one. more interested in the first one, or a combination of the two for a better value proposition.

with my luck, watch them put out the other one in the coming months, then a cheaper collected one with both + an exclusive, haha

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Maaaannnn, the more I think about it, the more I realize how cool it's going to be to have a compilation that's got a bunch of really good ports of games. It's the same kind of excitement I had when retro compilations first started becoming a *thing*, but wasn't so exacting in terms of wanting accuracy.

There's just something that feels more substantial when you have a cart with a bunch of games on it.

They're not. Digital Eclipse relaunched last year as a subset of Other Ocean and their first release was the Mega Man Legacy Collection for Capcom, which wasn't too bad.

Funny enough, Other Ocean spun-off from Backbone, and Backbone was Digital Eclipse in the first place.

Full circle! :p

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I will be getting this collection too. I havent dip into any 3D classics except street of rage

Maaaannnn, the more I think about it, the more I realize how cool it's going to be to have a compilation that's got a bunch of really good ports of games. It's the same kind of excitement I had when retro compilations first started becoming a *thing*, but wasn't so exacting in terms of wanting accuracy.

There's just something that feels more substantial when you have a cart with a bunch of games on it.

Retro game compilations seemed like they hit their peak about a decade ago. There's still some coming out, like this, the recent Rockman one, and the Rare one, but they're less common than they were in the 00s. They kind of tapered off once digital downloads took hold.

I'm kind of glad the Sega 3D Classics line started as a digital series before becoming a retail compilation. Giving it a staggered release schedule allowed M2 to take their time with each one, and also for people to appreciate each as they were released.

IrishNinja

Retro game compilations seemed like they hit their peak about a decade ago. There's still some coming out, like this, the recent Rockman one, and the Rare one, but they're less common than they were in the 00s. They kind of tapered off once digital downloads took hold.

we got some truly greats, too - Midway, Capcom, Namco, and my personal favorites, the Taito ones. IREM saw one as well, but i only found it on PC

wish Natsume & a few others would've done so, god knows stuff like Hudson is now lost to the ages.

also, agreed on staggering the M2 releases originally, it was a good plan

@MUWANdo

Banned
I still think bringing over the second compilation first was an error in judgement. Seriously, look at what's on the first compilation and tell me that wouldn't be more appealing to non-hardcore Sega fans:

tHTrszv.jpg

Parham

Banned
I'm legitimately excited for this collection. I've been holding off on getting any of the Sega 3D Classics for a while.

we got some truly greats, too - Midway, Capcom, Namco, and my personal favorites, the Taito ones. IREM saw one as well, but i only found it on PC

wish Natsume & a few others would've done so, god knows stuff like Hudson is now lost to the ages.

also, agreed on staggering the M2 releases originally, it was a good plan

Yeah, Taito Legends 2 on PS2 had some ugly interlacing, but the games on that package was a hell of a bargain at (if I recall) $20. Still, some games were XBox exclusive and some PS2 exclusive, so it wasn't perfect.

Man, the thought of M2-quality Taito, Namco, Capcom, Konami, or Irem ports to 3DS is too much.

IrishNinja

I still think bringing over the second compilation first was an error in judgement. Seriously, look at what's on the first compilation and tell me that wouldn't be more appealing to non-hardcore Sega fans:

yeah, i think they were banking on Sonic, but SOR & Revenge are pretty big hitters...also, damn that cover is so nice

Yeah, Taito Legends 2 on PS2 had some ugly interlacing, but the games on that package was a hell of a bargain at (if I recall) $20. Still, some games were XBox exclusive and some PS2 exclusive, so it wasn't perfect.

Man, the thought of M2-quality Taito, Namco, Capcom, Konami, or Irem ports to 3DS is too much.

right? also wait, were you saying Taito Legends on xbox had some different titles? cause shit, i need to look into that if so...bad enough i just learned about the Tecmo compilation on that system

flohen95

They should have taken the double pack, remove the references to it being a double pack and put it on sale for 40$. Now I'd feel paranoid about only getting a selection of the selection of Sega 3D Classics, because I'd think it unlikely that the other pack ever comes over to the West. I'd probably wait until I know that you can indeed get everything (so, until the first compilation gets announced).

But until they announce this for Europe (if they ever), I suppose it doesn't matter to me anyway.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down

ok I'll look

hmm

hmmm

huh

nope, no sonic game, and that's all non-hardcore sega fans recognize. oh well

This is really cool but I'm a bit disappointed that it's only the Vol. 2 games from Japan. I'm not sure why they didn't release the Vol. 1 & 2 combo. (Puyo Pop not getting translated is a bit of a letdown too.)

The Canadian price means I won't be picking it up right away though.

Pandy

The speculation thread was hilarious, but I was expecting this or if we were very lucky another wave of 3D classics.

I've already downloaded the ones I'm interested in, but might pick this up as a gift for siblings, and then as a physical back-up if I can find it a bit cheaper.

It's almost like Sega timed the announcement to get out right after I got my import copies. But this is totally worth it...maybe even if you already have the eShop set, for the bonus games.
wait, i forget, do these come with themes? i wanna say i recall reading the JP ones did

The JP ones don't come with themes.

AmyS

tHTrszv.jpg

I disagree. All the games in the first pack have been released digitally, but two of the games in the second pack haven't. Power Drift and Puyo Puyo 2.

That said, aside from Power Drift, the selection of games in the second pack isn't as good as the first, but it's actually more fair for western gamers who want to be able to have every game, between digital eshop and physical release.

ash_ag

tHTrszv.jpg

A non-hardcore Sega fan walks into the 3DS section of a store. He sees Sega 3D Classics Collection Vol. 1. "A spaceman with a big cannon, a ninja, a dolphin and a car...", he thinks. He goes a bit further down the aisle. "Oh, cool, Pokémon". He takes it and leaves.

Sorry, but anyone who has the slightest intention to buy this collection probably knows what's going on underneath the wrapping. They aren't going to pick it up based on the (admittedly wonderful) cover. Now, to be honest I do think the retail edition might have had more success as a full-price 3DS game that contains all M2 ports, but that's beside the point. :p

Incidentally, I wonder if the Master System version of Fantasy Zone will remain on this. Wasn't it unlockable via having a save file of the first collection? Since that wasn't released in the west, would the eShop versions of some of the other games suffice?

Speaking of the bonus games, considering Maze Walker was originally 3D using the SegaScope 3D glasses, its maintenance of this original form on 3DS would be the equivalent of Nintendo doing a Virtual Boy VC. Once again, Sega does what Nintendon't. :p

Espiox

They should have taken the double pack, remove the references to it being a double pack and put it on sale for 40$.

The double pack is just a box with two separate products in. Bringing that over would require either localising and manufacturing two full collections, or merging them into a single game. Both options are likely too time-consuming/costly against Sega's sales expectations for this.

Tizoc

So, out of curiosity, what's so special about Puyo Puyo 2 vs. the trillions of other games in the series? I've never been super deep into the series, so I have no idea.

this one is approachable but you quickly get wrecked when you realize the game was meant for some whats-his-name-from-genshiken level mastery
wait no i just described every game in the series that i've yet played

This
just
THIS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bbf-Z2IgnVY

oh man, this just keeps getting better!
i totally got to the last guy in the SMS one and died, shit broke my heart

Ahaha oh man, same. I got destroyed during the final boss rush (twice!) as kid and it put me off for years.

This 3DS port features a rapid-fire mode though. It absolutely feels like cheating, but it's so satisfying to blast through using it. =p

@MUWANdo

Banned
A non-hardcore Sega fan walks into the 3DS section of a store. He sees Sega 3D Classics Collection Vol. 1. "A spaceman with a big cannon, a ninja, a dolphin and a car...", he thinks. He goes a bit further down the aisle. "Oh, cool, Pokémon". He takes it and leaves.

Sorry, but anyone who has the slightest intention to buy this collection probably knows what's going on underneath the wrapping. They aren't going to pick it up based on the (admittedly wonderful) cover. Now, to be honest I do think the retail edition might have had more success as a full-price 3DS game that contains all M2 ports, but that's beside the point. :p

My comment wasn't made specifically because of the box art, I just posted that so people could see which games were in the first volume.

Sega may not be a household name anymore but that doesn't mean people have forgotten their games or that certain games don't carry more cache than others, and acting like Outrun and Shinobi are just as obscure as Thunder Blade or Galaxy Force is crazy.

What's more, they didn't have to bring over either collection as-is; they could and probably should have tailored them to the western market and picked specific games they know are still popular. They devs have repeatedly stated that most of their decisions were made with the Japanese audience in mind with the assumption that they wouldn't be released overseas, and that they went back and added additional titles when they knew they'd be releasing outside of Japan, so why not treat the retail release the same way?

I'm excited for this compilation and some of these games are my most-played of any of the ones they've put out so far, I just think they should be putting their best foot forward to ensure the success of the compilation and the release of subsequent compilations.

ash_ag

My comment wasn't made specifically because of the box art, I just posted that so people could see which games were in the first volume.

Sega may not be a household name anymore but that doesn't mean people have forgotten their games or that certain games don't carry more cache than others, and acting like Outrun and Shinobi are just as obscure as Thunder Blade or Galaxy Force is crazy.

What's more, they didn't have to bring over either collection as-is; they could and probably should have tailored them to the western market and picked specific games they know are still popular. They devs have repeatedly stated that most of their decisions were made with the Japanese audience in mind with the assumption that they wouldn't be released overseas, and that they went back and added additional titles when they knew they'd be releasing outside of Japan, so why not treat the retail release the same way?

I'm excited for this compilation and some of these games are my most-played of any of the ones they've put out so far, I just think they should be putting their best foot forward to ensure the success of the compilation and the release of subsequent compilations.

I see where you're coming from. I do think the collection that has Sonic in it is the one destined to be more successful, but ideally they would alter contents to increase appeal in the west, or even just combine the two. If everything was in there, many retrophiles would be interested in the collection just for the sheer number of games in it. And then you would have less hardcore fans see Sonic, Out Run, Altered Beast, Puyo Puyo and Streets of Rage all in one package, which would further raise the appeal. It could be fairly successful even as a fully-priced 3DS release.

I guess it's possible they may want to release the first collection too somewhere down the line. If they target a niche audience, a second release might do well enough.

IrishNinja

Ahaha oh man, same. I got destroyed during the final boss rush (twice!) as kid and it put me off for years.

This 3DS port features a rapid-fire mode though. It absolutely feels like cheating, but it's so satisfying to blast through using it. =p

oh my god, so the pea shooter won't be useless for that battle now...okay, i might gotta try again

Raitaro

Yeah, the way they've designed the box art pretty much ensures there'll be another collection.

There's gotta be one with all the characters facing to the right now. Can't wait~

Good point, this. Why else would they draw the lines in the background and the characters like this (i.e. moving / looking to the left and middle respectively) if they don't plan on completing the set?

Fingers crossed, in other words!

(Not just for a third collection but also that they eventually release all three in the US AND Europe.)

@MUWANdo

Banned
Good point, this. Why else would they draw the lines in the background and the characters like this (i.e. moving / looking to the left and middle respectively) if they don't plan on completing the set?

Fingers crossed, in other words!

(Not just for a third collection but also that they eventually release all three in the US AND Europe.)

They've been very upfront about their desire to do a third collection in Japan, and part of the reason there are more bonus games in the second compilation is because they wanted to do everything they possibly could to make sure a third collection is possible.

Espiox

They've been very upfront about their desire to do a third collection in Japan, and part of the reason there are more bonus games in the second compilation is because they wanted to do everything they possibly could to make sure a third collection is possible.

It would be incredible if they released a box to put all three in alongside the third one, like the Namco Museum and Famicom Mini series boxes.

Top Bottom