• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega 3D Classics Wave 2 |OT| October: 3D Sonic 2

Nachos

EqU0vSA.png

Genre(s): Varied
Developer: Sega (original), M2 (ports)
Release Dates for Wave 2.5: July–September (Worldwide)
Release Dates for Wave 2: January–May 2015 (US and Europe); 2013 (Japan)
Price: $5.99/€4.99/£4.49 each
Official Website (English)
Official Website (Japanese)

8CdW06Q.png

Sega’s 3D Classic series is a lineup of some of Sega’s more venerated titles in their catalog, perfectly ported to the Nintendo 3DS with plenty of additional emulation options and bonuses. Helmed by the emulation wizards at M2, these titles are a labor of love, painstakingly recreated to allow old fans an opportunity to play the games as they remember them, while being a wonderful entry point for new audiences. Originally launched in Japan in 2013, the line consisted of thirteen titles, eight* of which released in the West that same year. Now, Sega is releasing the remaining five titles – After Burner II, Fantasy Zone, OutRun, Fantasy Zone II, and Thunder Blade – for the rest of the world to enjoy.

*The original eight are listed under the Wave 1 section below.

mpBJocJ.png

UPDATE: On April 14, Sega announced that they would be releasing three additional games for their 3D Classics line. These include Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Streets of Rage 2, and Gunstar Heroes.

With the full release schedule just announced during the January 14th Nintendo Direct, Afterburner II will be the lineup’s inaugural release, launching on January 15, 2015 in both the United States and Europe, with two additional games launching each month until the end of March. lol The Nintendo Direct lied. We're getting one game per month.

WAVE 2:
January 15: After Burner II
February 12: Fantasy Zone
March 12: Out Run
April 16: Fantasy Zone II
May 14: Thunder Blade

WAVE 2.5
July 23: Streets of Rage 2
August 20: Gunstar Heroes
October 8: Sonic the Hedgehog 2

RoTQuNc.png

mYQBfhu.png

Streets of Rage II
Official Description: “Bust knuckles with this Sega classic, rebuilt from the ground up in stunning 3D! The sequel to the original rumbler is back and re-mastered in 3D. Slam the asphalt with bigger, better and totally devastating attacks. Skull crushing ex-wrestler Max Thunder joins up with Axel and Blaze to throw earth shattering body slams and fist attacks. New thrasher Skate slices punks with high speed inline attacks and spinning jump kicks. Use secret weapons to bash your way through gangs of bikers to rescue your friend and defeat Mr. X.”

3DS Enhancements: New to the game are a casual mode, which instantly defeats any enemy knocked down (increasing the game's pace the way the first game's retrofitted "Fists of Furry" mode did), and "Rage Rally" mode, which automatically cycles through the playable characters each time the player depletes their life stock.

pcc2gnF.jpg

Gunstar Heroes
Official Description: "Treasure's visually stunning side scrolling shooter, Gunstar Heroes is now re-mastered in 3D!" [Yes, that's all.]

3DS Enhancements: Though it existed somewhat in Gunstar Super Heroes, the 3DS version now supports Gunslinger Mode, introducing, for the the first time, the ability to toggle between fixed/free firing stances and all weapons at anytime. The game also supports "Mega Life Mode," which doubles the player's maximum health, and local co-op via wireless play.

More information on Sonic 2 to be added as it nears release.

XDQuIdY.png

ots8GEI.jpg

After Burner II
Official Description: “3D After Burner II is a completely re-mastered version of the arcade classic. Pilot your F-14D fighter through enemy territory blasting away squadrons of enemy fighters. This arcade masterpiece now features stereoscopic 3D, a choice of real arcade cabinets, new difficulty settings as well as visual adjustment options. Blast your way through 23 stages to unlock a special mode with even more gameplay enhancements.”

3DS Enhancements: The 3DS version is a port of the arcade version, with additional tweaks, including widescreen support, cabinet tilting, independent music and sound effect balances, quick saving, replays, variable difficulty and life count, stage select, and the ability to set explosions and smokescreens as translucent. Best of all, 3D After Burner II features a new special mode created in collaboration with Akira Saito, the main programmer for the remasters, and with Hiroshi Iuchi, director of Ikaruga and Gradius V, which implements a new scoring system, rival dogfight encounters, and brief story text in-between missions.
Ji2Y8IK.jpg

Fantasy Zone: Opa-Opa Bros.
Official Description: 3D Fantasy Zone is the popular scrolling shooter, first released for the SEGA System 16 board in 1986, in which players control a sentient spaceship named Opa-Opa to fight bizarre invader enemies. The re-mastered version combines stereoscopic 3D visuals with a host of additional features to deliver cutting-edge gameplay with a classic feel.

3DS Enhancements: Adjustable difficulty settings, both the Japanese and international versions of the game, a stage select. The game also boasts a new, unlockable mode with new weaponry/gameplay accompanied by a song called UPA-UPA.
CiHfKiP.jpg

Out Run
Official Description: "3D Out Run™ is the critically acclaimed 1986 driving game designed by Yu Suzuki, re-mastered and enhanced for the Nintendo 3DS™ hand-held system." [No really, that was the entire description for what the game actually is.]

3DS Enhancements: The 3DS version features two new songs, performance at a stable 60fps (double that of the original), a built-in stage select, adjustable difficulty settings, unlockable car customization options, and a bevy of arcade cabinets around which to frame the game, allowing you to tailor parts of the arcade experience to your liking.

59gWIBd.jpg

Fantasy Zone II W
Official Description: "Join Opa-Opa and friends once again in this 2-games-in-1 sequel, remade in 3D and stunning arcade quality graphics! Fantasy Zone II, first released for the SEGA Master System in 1987 as a sequel to 1986’s Fantasy Zone, is the fan favorite scrolling shooter in which players control a sentient spaceship named Opa-Opa to fight surreal invader enemies. 3D Fantasy Zone II W upgrades all visuals from SEGA's System-E to System-16 graphic standards and combines stereoscopic 3D effects with a host of additional features to deliver cutting edge gameplay experience with a classic feel."

3DS Enhancements: A new endless mode taking place in a new area called Link-Loop Land, adjustable difficulty, replays, stage select. [The official press release actually mentioned adjustable difficulties twice by accident.]

FaYzi3d.jpg

Thunder Blade
Official Description: "Blast through the skies in your battle helicopter! 3D Thunder Blade is a recreation of a one-of-a-kind combat originally released in 1987, re-mastered for the Nintendo 3DS™ hand-held system. In 3D Thunder Blade, players control a helicopter and use guns and missiles to destroy enemy vehicles while flying between buildings, through caves, and into enemy bases."

3DS Enhancements: This 3D remaster adds the typical stereoscopic 3D effect, on top of gyroscopic controls, adjustable difficulty, Circle Pad Pro support, stage select, replays, and various arcade dressings. Most important of all, however, 3D Thunder Blade adds toggleable remix tracks, and a new special mode, which adds new enemies, a new fighter, and updated gameplay.

BbpRkUh.png

zkVimiI.png

Altered Beast
Official Description: "Rise from your grave! Summoned from the dead by Zeus, shape shift into various beasts and fight off hordes of demons to rescue the captured Athena from the clutches of Neff. Transform into a variety of beasts and fight off throngs of demons sent forth by the evil Neff. The mighty shape-shifting god will challenge you in various, hideous forms in each level, but you are armed to the teeth with transformative tricks of your own!"
3DS Enhancements: The 3DS version features local multiplayer, in addition to a random transformation mode.
Na7Wlod.gif

Ecco the Dolphin
Official Description: "Save the seas as Ecco the Dolphin! After a mysterious storm sweeps your family from the sea, it’s up to you to find them and uncover the mystery behind the forces that took them. The search to find them will take you through vast underwater realms of treachery, beauty and adventure. Use your sonar to discover hidden caverns and unlock the secrets of crystal glyphs, but beware of packs of bloodthirsty sharks that search the ocean for unwitting prey! In your quest, you’ll discover that more than your family’s safety is at stake. The fate of the whole world rests on your wits and fins.
3DS Enhancements: The 3DS version features a new super dolphin mode, which grants you infinite health and oxygen.
Sp3YKGJ.jpg

Galaxy Force II
Official Description: "Save the galaxy from the Halcyon Empire! Halcyon, ruler of the invading Fourth Empire, has marked Junos as his final target in a galaxy wide campaign for dominance. Sending the bulk of his forces, he attacks with a single purpose – to eliminate all life forms in the system in order to build the seat of his power on the ashes of each of its five planets. As the star pilot of the governing Space Federation, it’s up to you to strap yourself into your TRY-X and turn the tables on Halcyon."
3DS Enhancements: The 3DS version features true 16:9 widescreen support, additional arcade cabinet dressings, and support for the circle pad pro (and by extension, the New 3DS' C-Stick).
cYOOIZc.png

Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
Official Description: "The Shinobi master is deadlier than ever! Joe Musashi’s sworn enemies, the Neo Zeed, have returned! Controlled by Shadow Master, a formidable ninja cloned from Joe’s own bloodline, the syndicate holds the city captive with its vicious crime ring. Utilize deadly weapons and lethal ninja arts in order to stand against the hordes of bio-ninja and save your city!
3DS Enhancements: The 3DS version features a round select (effectively a level select) and the ability to remap the inputs to whichever buttons you want.
In addition to its all-new 3D presentation, 3D Shinobi III features a Round Select Mode and customizable input setting which allows you to assign each action to specific buttons.
C5iXuc7.gif

Sonic the Hedgehog
Official Description: "The evil scientist, Dr. Eggman (aka Dr. Robotnik), has snatched the animals of South Island, turning them into robot slaves. Only one hero can defeat Dr. Eggman and rescue the animals from his vile clutches – it’s the super-cool hedgehog with the blue spiky hair, Sonic! Race at lightning speeds across seven classic zones as Sonic the Hedgehog. Run and spin through loop-de-loops as you collect rings and defeat enemies on your mission to save the world!"
3DS Enhancements: The 3DS version now features a zone select, allowing you to start from wherever you please, in addition to retrofitting the iconic spin dash move, which was introduced in Sonic the Hedgehog 2.
gG5SP0D.jpg

Space Harrier
Official Description: "As a resourceful, extra-terrestrial warrior, your mission is to save the peaceful Land of the Dragons from vicious creatures. Aided by the dragons, you must use every trick in the book and every skill at your command in order to stave off these alien invaders and save the day!"
3DS Enhancements: The 3DS version features new arcade cabinet dressings and the ability to play the game via the touchscreen.
oqCd25j.png

Streets of Rage
Official Description: "Take the fight to the streets! In the grips of a vicious crime syndicate, this once peaceful city has become a center of violence and mayhem. Amidst this chaos, three young police officers are determined to tackle the problem head-on. Taking control of one of three ex-officers, use their special hand-to-hand combat abilities to take down the syndicate and save the city."
3DS Enhancements: The 3DS version features local multiplayer support, in addition the Single-Hit KO Mode, which allows you to defeat normal enemies in a single attack.
eX74tdQ.gif

Super Hang-On
Official Description: "Gear up for ultimate speed in Super Hang-On. Tour through 48 challenging tracks on four continents and discover the rush of true arcade game play as you blaze through checkpoints in a race to beat the clock and your competitors. Experience the thrill of street bike racing and earn your place at the top of the scoreboards in this must-have classic."
3DS Enhancements: The 3DS version features moving cabinet dressings, in addition to tilt controls.

7fr0eEg.png

Sega 3D Classics — Afterburner II: A Classic Reborn, Part 1
Sega 3D Classics — Afterburner II: A Classic Reborn, Part 2

SEGA 3D Classics — Fantasy Zone: Opa-Opa Brothers, Part 1
SEGA 3D Classics — Fantasy Zone: Opa-Opa Brothers, Part 2

SEGA 3D Classics — Out Run, Part 1
SEGA 3D Classics — Out Run, Part 2
SEGA 3D Classics — Out Run, Part 3
SEGA 3D Classics — Out Run, Part 4

SEGA 3D Classics — Fantasy Zone II, Part 1
SEGA 3D Classics — Fantasy Zone II, Part 2

SEGA 3D Classics — Thunder Blade, Part 1
SEGA 3D Classics — Thunder Blade, Part 2

SEGA 3D Classics — Streets of Rage II, Part 1
SEGA 3D Classics — Streets of Rage II, Part 2

SEGA 3D Classics — Gunstar Heroes, Part 1

Thanks to various threads on GAF about the remasters and the posters therein for providing information on the titles, especially when English information was initially pretty scarce.

Finally. I was really hoping for a cart release like the JPN version. Too much to ask for these days. At least we are getting them!

That’s what I like to hear. (Everyone laughs.) I told him, “Hey! We got After Burner running! Even though you never asked us to work on it.” To which Okunari-san said, “What? The Mega Drive version?” I couldn’t help but feel a little hurt that he’d think we’d aim so low!

As if any more proof was needed that M2 are the kings of retro ports.

Yes, about time! Japan has had wave 2 of the 3D Classics for a year already. Will definitely be getting Afterburner II tomorrow and CAN'T WAIT for Fantasy Zone 1 and 2 which were the first games I thought of when the 3D Classics line was first announced. And great OP, love the custom SMS style background logo.

As if any more proof was needed that M2 are the kings of retro ports.

That quote is so great, M2 never ceases to amaze me with how awesome they are.

Great OT, Nachos! Did not see this coming. I was being asked to make one, but I'm busy doing other things.

Can't wait for tomorrow so I can hand my dosh over for sum of dat Aftah Bernuh.

As someone who has been enjoying the delights of Out Run on JP 3DS (and subsequently the 3D Fukkoku Archives release), I can assure you that Out Run is every bit worth the wait.

@MUWANdo

Banned
One little extra point on 3DABII: this version lets you choose between the arcade-authentic BGM and the "extra melody" BGM that was featured in some of the console ports and official OST releases; the extra arrangements were never officially used in any revision of the arcade game but the sound source used for this release was compiled from authentic data salvaged by the original composer and could feasibly run on real arcade hardware, so it's as close to an "arcade-accurate" rendition of the extra BGM as is possible.

Also, just so people know, 3D Fantasy Zone II isn't the Master System game, it's Fantasy Zone II DX, the reimagined version M2 made for the Sega Ages PS2 compilation some years back--it's essentially a new game, and the extra content they added for the 3DS version makes it even better.

Voliko

So glad it's not one per month as I had speculated earlier. Can't wait to pick up After Burner in a couple hours.

stuminus3

I'm in for every single one of these.

The only downside to the last wave of 3D classics was the crushing depression after realising that this Sega isn't what Sega is today.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I'm in for every single one of these.

The only downside to the last wave of 3D classics was the crushing depression after realising that this Sega isn't what Sega is today.
true of all companies. you play zelda nes recently? game is so cool.

Tizoc

Thanks, I'll be home in 3 hours time to grab that sucker X3

Forget Space Harrier, give us Planet Harriers!

That's prob. the only game from the Harrier series that isn't in any compilation right? Or is that a different game?

God, I would've paid almost anything for a cartridge compilation of these :(

Still copping from the eShop once I get a bigger SD card, though.

Which ones are already out in NA to buy/download?

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
That's prob. the only game from the Harrier series that isn't in any compilation right? Or is that a different game?
PH is an arcade exclusive
there was a GameCube port in the works at some point iirc but alas

Khaz

No Gigadrive, only arcade in this second wave. I wish the Master System games were available to the west, the real hardware is just impossible to find.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Are there any of these SEGA 3D Classics that aren't must owns? Been looking at a lot of them except Sonic. Dat Outrun.

JP

Subscribed to this! Any point in adding a "previously released" section as a quick reference point for people? Even if it's just a list of the titles that were available?

Nachos

Altered Beast. Arguably Streets of Rage 1.

But most are must-haves.
Anything with a Yuzo Koshiro soundtrack is automatically a must-have, regardless of the actual game.

God, I would've paid almost anything for a cartridge compilation of these :(

Still copping from the eShop once I get a bigger SD card, though.

Which ones are already out in NA to buy/download?
Subscribed to this! Any point in adding a "previously released" section as a quick reference point for people? Even if it's just a list of the titles that were available?

Oh right, I'll add that to the OP since there never was a formal OT for the first wave. The titles were Space Harrier, Super Hang-On, Sonic 1, Altered Beast, Ecco the Dolphin, Galaxy Force II, Shinobi III, and Streets of Rage.

I'll make a proper header and section for it when I get home.

duckroll

Oh right, I'll add that to the OP since there never was a formal OT for the first wave. The titles were Space Harrier, Super Hang-On, Sonic 1, Altered Beast, Ecco the Dolphin, Galaxy Force II, Shinobi III, and Streets of Rage.

If it's not too much trouble, maybe we can take this as a chance to showcase the Wave 1 games too for people who missed them. M2 needs more love. :)

I've never played a Fantasy Zone game but they look like they'd be real trippy in 3D. I might be in for one of those, and Outrun.

Bio-Frost

I've never played a Fantasy Zone game but they look like they'd be real trippy in 3D. I might be in for one of those, and Outrun.

Fantasy Zone is a fantastic series. I just started playing it a few months ago and ive been hooked. Can't wait to get this on the go.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Quick note on the release months: Despite the Nintendo Direct saying March was the last month, it's not. On Nintendo's site, it says:

Fantasy Zone: Feb.
Outrun: March
Fantasy Zone II: April
Thunder Blade: May

Also Sega confirmed in Nov. we'd be getting them monthly. Granted, I sure wouldn't mind Outrun next month instead of March, but sadly, we still gotta wait for April & May for the last two games.

Got After Burner II since I enjoyed Climax and looking forward to getting both Fantasy Zone games & Outrun.

Nachos

Quick note on the release months: Despite the Nintendo Direct saying March was the last month, it's not. On Nintendo's site, it says:

Fantasy Zone: Feb.
Outrun: March
Fantasy Zone II: April
Thunder Blade: May

Also Sega confirmed in Nov. we'd be getting them monthly. Granted, I sure wouldn't mind Outrun next month instead of March, but sadly, we still gotta wait for April & May for the last two games.

Got After Burner II since I enjoyed Climax and looking forward to getting both Fantasy Zone games & Outrun.

Do you have a link for the Nintendo site? I read the November post, but hoped that Sega had changed up the schedule.

Tizoc

I can't believe the 3DS won't allow you to BUY something you have 0 charge left in your 3DS...NOW i gotta wait a few hours for it to get one or 2 charges before I can buy this game.
rEALLY ninty?

Top Bottom