• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega accidentally leaks minutes of meeting with SCEA - PS2 emulation & more discussed

DMeisterJ

Banned
FFObsessed said:
Hope it's true. I'm sure there are dozens and dozens of PS2 games I would enjoy that I never got around to playing. And then there are those titles that are too rare to find.

But I'm getting ahead of myself considering how slow Sony has been with releasing PS1 titles :lol

You mean SCEE, as SCEA and SCEJ have nice output :D

Better hope Mike Kibby saves u!

seb

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
Uh, no? Because I already have a perfectly working copy of FFXII?

You mean the one that renders at 480x360 and is upscaled to shit on my 50" Plasma ? Yes I have that one too, I don't call it "perfect" though.

Well I guess I'm a HD/consumer whore then, so be it.

The Genesis 20th Anniversary thing sounds interesting. Wonder if Sega will do a new Ultimate Genesis Collection to coincide. =/

If PS2 emulation only happens for "big" titles that puts me out. Then again I guess all the games I play on the PS2 currently would look like ass upscaled(cause well..they look like ass already).

duckroll

seb said:
You mean the one that renders at 480x360 and is upscaled to shit on my 50" Plasma ? Yes I have that one too, I don't call it "perfect" though.

Well I guess I'm a HD/consumer whore then, so be it.

You should get a better TV. Sounds like you wasted your money on a shitty brand. :(

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
ShockingAlberto said:
GOW HD represents a hilarious sort of hypocrisy here.

FF12 would equally do so.

And no, I can play my current copy of FF12 without having to rebuy it just fine, thanks.
God of War ? Why?

yurinka

MoxManiac said:
I don't see why Capcom wouldn't get behind this and co-operate with Sony and Sega to get some of their DC releases up.

I think a PSN release (NOT BY BACKBONE) with online play would be better for Power Stone, though.
Just emulate perfectly every single PS2 and DC Capcom game. No port needed, or modification of the game outside the emulator. Fuck Backbone.

Just let the emulator to upscale to HD their resolution, apply a filter in the emulator (like in current PS1/PS2 BC games).

If Capcom even want to port/enhace them, just add on-line support or tweak the existing 56KB on-line porting to PSN, like they did in their "enhaced bug fest port" Backbone DC ports. But this time letting you to play.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
I want Metropolis Street Racer, Shenmue 1 and 2, Crazy Taxi 1 and 2, and Jet Grind Radio. I'm thinking of rebuying a Dreamcast, only for these games - and then some, since it also has the better versions of a few PS1 games (Tony Hawk and Soul Reaver, for instance).

BC would also be welcome. Unless they make a new PS2 with a slot drive. While the PS2 is tiny already, I'd much prefer it to be more like the Wii, where you don't have to reserve space so I can open the lid to put the disc in.

Chocoboko

DangerousDave said:
I hope that PS2 DD games won't mean another list of snowboard, Cool Boarders, Tom Clancy games... but this time in PS2 instead of PS1.
Don't forget Tomb Raider!

...but on a serious note I hope all of this is true. I would totally buy Dreamcast games again.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
StarEye said:
BC would also be welcome. Unless they make a new PS2 with a slot drive. While the PS2 is tiny already, I'd much prefer it to be more like the Wii, where you don't have to reserve space so I can open the lid to put the disc in.

Do you really have such a cramped home entertainment set up that a flip up lid is "space consuming?"

dojokun

Banned
Andrew2 said:
given the fact I still have my Dreamcast(and play it on a regular basis), DC on games PSN while sounding great is pointless to me. Now if it was Saturn titles I wouldn't mind since I don't have access to one anymore.
Your tag should also include advice for you not to make posts, either.

Tiktaalik

Wow that's an good find. Aside from the leaks of new information, it's also really interesting to see how developers, publishers and retail discuss plans with one another.

BlueWord

:O

That PS2 emu mention sort of makes me :/. Either kill all hope of PS2 emulation, or make it free, and for everyone... but for the love of god, don't fucking charge for games I already bought on your previous system goddamn.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Makes me glad I have my Slim sitting besides my Xbox now!

But wait, there's more!
"Sonic Racing
Open to DLC to differentiate PS3 SKU – not ratchet and clank but other characters
maybe characters from Rare or Fable universes"

Pardon!?

My Fable II character running against Sonic? Do want!

demolitio

SOCOM 1 and 2 on PSN with added cheat protection = no more money wasted on buying new games ever again. So that means Sony probably wouldn't want to put those games on PSN. :lol

BlueWord said:

That PS2 emu mention sort of makes me :/. Either kill all hope of PS2 emulation, or make it free, and for everyone... but for the love of god, don't fucking charge for games I already bought on your previous system goddamn.

This. I'm not rebuying a digital copy of my 100+ PS2 games. Luckily I have a 60 giger and don't have to worry about it, but PS2 emulation will be nice when I inevitably purchase a second PS3 for my office.

StuBurns

Banned
I'd buy the Shenmues I guess, just because I never finished the first one and never touched the second.

PSO working on PSN is the obvious mega hit though, the PS3 actually has nothing like that worth playing at the moment.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Foliorum Viridum said:
Dreamcast titles?

Motherfucking yes. Get Shenmue 1 and 2 up on PSN, then get Sony to fund the final chapter. :D

/Delusion.
Screw that, gimme Hydro Thunder.

It had a Dreamcast port, shut up.

I'd be pretty pissed if they had code to do PS2 emulation but are not doing it because they want to sell the games on PSN. That being said, I'm a sucker for a 720p version of MGS3.

lyre

No one cares about last gen games when they can play PS3's awesome library of exclusives in true HD and 7.1 sound.™

luxarific

Nork unification denier
BlueWord said:

Dual-dipping is the only reason they're even considering it. Otherwise, why go to the expense of BC at all? The price problem is gone now.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I strongly suspect if the GoW/GoW2 remastered double pack does well, a lot of publishers are going to be thinking. "Hey, we can do that too".
And not just on PS3.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
PS2 emulator for PS3 (confidential)
SCEA wants to sell all PS2 titles on PSN (GTA Vice City/Sonic/etc)
For co Marketing money show PS3 controller on TV ads – similar to EA Madden Spots, NCAA, etc…

OH GOD! THEY DO LISTEN TO THOSE OF US THAT WANT THE PS3 TO BE THE ONLY FUCKING CONSOLE TO DO ACTUAL BC! *SQUEE!*

That is, if this isn't total bullshit/smoke up our asses, OP.

But how about instead of just selling PS2 titles on PSN... you give the emulator in firmware, therefore letting people either buy the discs at Gamestop (not going to happen, heh) or buy through PSN. OPTIONS ARE NICE, SONY! GIVE US OPTIONS!

>>Japan import store<<

If this was true (and not fake) DO WANT DO WANT DO WANT DO WANT. Put Toro: Let's Party! up and you'd save me the import through Play-Asia, Sony! Hell, give us Toro plushies in the US while you're at it! >_>

(AND LET NISA PUT TORO/KURO INTO DISGAEA 2/3, GODDAMN)

Thrakier

lyre said:
No one cares about last gen games when they can play PS3's awesome library of exclusives in true HD and 7.1 sound.™

That's true, I would love a downloadable version of nocturne though. ;)

TheSeks said:
OH GOD! THEY DO LISTEN TO THOSE OF US THAT WANT THE PS3 TO BE THE ONLY FUCKING CONSOLE TO DO ACTUAL BC! *SQUEE!*

That is, if this isn't total bullshit/smoke up our asses, OP.

But how about instead of just selling PS2 titles on PSN... you give the emulator in firmware, therefore letting people either buy the discs at Gamestop (not going to happen, heh) or buy through PSN. OPTIONS ARE NICE, SONY! GIVE US OPTIONS!

If this was true (and not fake) DO WANT DO WANT DO WANT DO WANT. Put Toro: Let's Party! up and you'd save me the import through Play-Asia, Sony! Hell, give us Toro plushies in the US while you're at it! >_>

I'm surprised so many people think this is even likely. If they have a good emulator for ps2, it will work just like ps1 emulation. I'm pretty sure I can still play my 10 year old copy of FFVII on my ps3, despite Sony selling a digital copy through psn.

StuBurns

Banned
H_Prestige said:
I'm surprised so many people think this is even likely. If they have a good emulator for ps2, it will work just like ps1 emulation. I'm pretty sure I can still play my 10 year old copy of FFVII on my ps3, despite Sony selling a digital copy through psn.
I guess people think that because we don't know if emulation in that manner is even possible. It might be that to do this they need to do something to the games on an individual basis, that being the case, it could be very possible only the PSN releases would work for non-BC units.

androvsky

stuburns said:
I guess people think that because we don't know if emulation in that manner is even possible. It might be that to do this they need to do something to the games on an individual basis, that being the case, it could be very possible only the PSN releases would work for non-BC units.

You do realize that's how BC on the 360 works, right? There's no reason why there wouldn't be a free download of the game that won't work unless you put the original disc in the drive.

HUELEN10

I've read the new pages...

Why do some people think that there ZERO CHANCE of disc-based BC? Hasn't PSN shown that Disc-Based and downloadable BC can co-exist for PS1 games? Why would this have to be different? I am not saying that there will be disc-based BC by any means, but I wouldn't write it off immediately. That is, if it's even happening at all!
sphinx said:
nice.

It's sad that skies of arcadia isn't mentioned anywhere.
Didn't the definitive version come out on GCN ages ago, a definitive version that is also BC with a current-gen console? :D There's a reason why Sonic Adventures 1 & 2 aren't being brought up either...

stuburns said:

Well, if they intend to sell 'all' ps2 games, then they have to have an emulator as good as the ps1 emulator for that to be possible.

But I thought someone brought up a good point earlier. PSN isn't tied to the ps3. For all we know, this ps2 emulator might be for a beefed up ps4 in 2012.

TheSeks

H_Prestige said:

For all we know, the PS2 software emulation could possibly be like the 360's for X-box, in short: Shit. Because it means only certain titles (like Halo 1/2 on the 360) would be playable/uploaded to PSN and supported as a DD release only for non-BC PS3s (which my PS3 isn't, but still).

The point I'm making is: If PS2 emulation comes back, it needs to come back like it was at launch, 80% of titles supported. If this is just a PS2 "give me money" scam, Sony can go fuck themselves (unless they put Nocturne/hard to find games up) frankly. Because I bought my PS3 for PS2 BC in mind. It would royally suck for those that are LTTP to not get the same treatment like I have on my console through a firmware update just to have some select titles supported to try to have the "It only does everything... except play PS2 games!" squeaky wheels like me stop squeaking.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
HK-47 said:
Do you really have such a cramped home entertainment set up that a flip up lid is "space consuming?"

Not really, but it's still annoying when the machine is built in such a way that you either have it on top of something else (like another console) or in vertical. I have a few centimeters extra space on top of my DVD player, I'd love to be able to just put it there. But I can't 'cause I'd have to pull it out to open the lid. Which is annoying and impractical.

Also, I like to keep things tidy. I don't want my home entertainment look like something from a 15 year old's room anymore. Not to mention, the cable hell behind the whole setup.

TheSeks

HUELEN10 said:
So, since the FTP link was always spotty for me in the first place, Ill ask. Has it been taken down already?

AFAIK, the FTP link isn't working anymore, at least for me.

androvsky

HUELEN10 said:
I've read the new pages...

Didn't the definitive version come out on GCN ages ago, a definitive version that is also BC with a current-gen console? :D There's a reason why Sonic Adventures 1 & 2 aren't being brought up either...

That's fine from a consumer point of view, but if Sega would like to sell copies of Skies of Arcadia now, they'll have to either do a new play control Wii port (lol) or just put the DC version on PSN/XBLA. Besides, wouldn't Sonic Adventures 1 & 2 fall under the "every old Sonic game on disc" category? I don't think this meeting was about name-dropping every DC title anyway...

AFAIK, the FTP link isn't working anymore, at least for me.

Yeah, the document isn't on the FTP site any more. Oddly, last I checked, the ftp site still wasn't password protected, but since it's a PR site there's really nothing too interesting there (unless you want the official Sega scream .wav). :)

Top Bottom