• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega accidentally leaks minutes of meeting with SCEA - PS2 emulation & more discussed

kitch9

Banned
charlequin said:
Then every person at Sony can die in a fire. Which part of that was I not clear about? :lol

Yeah, it's a real fucking mystery why removing a brand-defining feature from a system then turning around and trying to push a version of it as a pay-per-entry feature would be irritating.
The real world is over there... I suggest you make your way there or you will spend most of you life disappointed.

charlequin said:
Think beyond the cartoonishly greedy level of "we can make people rebuy stuff!!!!!" and realize that actual BC remains a potentially appealing way of strengthening their brand and encouraging purchases from people with a big PS2 library?

The fact that PS1 BC works for discs, and that the 360 supports its BC games on both disc and store, makes me hopeful that there will be an announcement of the right kind about this, but all three manufacturers have fucked their customers over enough times this generation that I don't want to assume.

My thoughts exactly. I remain cautiously optomistic that they will do the right thing, but my gut feeling tells me that they won't. This generation has been a huge kick in the balls to the consumer.

x3sphere

Fersis said:
Emulation for the entire PS2 library is kind of impossible, but for selected titles its totally 'doable'.
SCEI could give some kind of base emulator so SEGA and other companies build from that their own emus for their games. Now... this is worth the time and resources ? I dont think so.
Anyway : Good news if true.

If a bunch of hobbyists can cobble together a well working PS2 emulator on PC I'm sure Sony can. Sure not every game can run perfect but I believe it's within the realm of possibility to aim for 99% compatibility.

A lot of pages are forced by Sega to delete the posts related to those leaks (and, obviously, they are deleating them). It's like an official confirmation.

jett said:
You're asking someone that can't tell the difference between SD and HD. :p

Incorrect. Resolution has never been a problem, and in fact I'm a bit of an IQ whore. It's that I've never felt a huge jump in actual graphical quality asides from the increase in resolution. :p

(In the past couple of years though, this has changed as people stopped making Xbox+ games in HD.)

Euphor!a

Banned
I haven't read the whole topic but aside from the OP is there any other proof that the file was actually from the FTP server? I mean the very next post 2 minutes later shows it not on there, I find it hard to believe it was taken down so quickly after this topic was made.

inner-G

Banned
People thinking that Sony could just throw an 'emulator' on the store or something either:

A.) Don't understand how emulators work and how many per-game glitches there are

or

B.) Are crazy

HUELEN10

Euphor!a said:
I haven't read the whole topic but aside from the OP is there any other proof that the file was actually from the FTP server? I mean the very next post 2 minutes later shows it not on there, I find it hard to believe it was taken down so quickly after this topic was made.
It was a bit spotty for me and some others, but it was, and may still be on the FTP. Its real.

androvsky

Euphor!a said:

Keep reading, people did download it from there.

jett

D-Member
x3sphere said:
If a bunch of hobbyists can cobble together a well working PS2 emulator on PC I'm sure Sony can. Sure not every game can run perfect but I believe it's within the realm of possibility to aim for 99% compatibility.

That well working emulator has an extremely low percentage of games that work with zero issues.

linsivvi

Tiktaalik said:
If it takes them time and money to develop software backwards compatibility why should they give it away for free?

It takes time and money to develop and upgrade the firmware. It takes time and money to develop Home, photo app, the internet browser, and they are giving those away for free. So why not?

The money spent on developing a PS2 emulator is very small compared to hardware based emulation when you're selling millions of units. It can also entice more people to buy the PS3. Makes perfect sense to me. Besides, there will be people who want to buy the digital copies anyway due to rarity/convenience/no disc loading, etc.

androvsky

inner-G said:
People thinking that Sony could just throw an 'emulator' on the store or something either:

A.) Don't understand how emulators work and how many per-game glitches there are

or

B.) Are crazy

Nobody said making an emulator was easy, but Sony still forged ahead with partial BC on certain PS3 models that did, indeed, have per-game glitches. They even put up a database online to catalogue BC problems. I expect more of the same, and the reason why we've had to wait so long is due to per-game glitches.

Assuming Sony ever gets around to actually releasing the damn thing, of course.

inner-G

Banned
x3sphere said:
I have a pretty good PC, man, with a GPU better than the PS3's.

Only FFX runs at about full speed 95% of the time, other games will run 100% then drop to slideshow 10fps in certain parts.

Many games don't even run, hang on videos, go out of sync, geometry problems, etc.

It's not easy to do, even PC's will have a hard time emulating PS2 for the next few years probably.

Not to mention the framebuffer differences between the GS/RSX that have been discussed to death here.
androvsky said:
Nobody said making an emulator was easy, but Sony still forged ahead with partial BC on certain PS3 models that did, indeed, have per-game glitches. They even put up a database online to catalogue BC problems. I expect more of the same, and the reason why we've had to wait so long is due to per-game glitches.

Those 'partial' b/c PS3's had the GS intact on the mobo, they only emulated the CPU.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
:lol

What can I say? Segac strikes again!

In our favor this time but the disease is spreading throughout the whole company now!

Disc-based DC emulation please! 10/10/10 believe?!

Tannhauser

Neo Member
Pure software emulation of the PS2 on the PS3 is at this point an insurmountable task by all evidence. It will be one hell of a technical achievement if they ever manage it.

Guy Legend

0223cluster.jpg

Thanks for the possible cluster of megatons Sega. Return of PS2 bc and DC games on PSN would be awesome. :D

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
NinjaFusion said:
i can't believe you fuckers haven't noticed this...

THOR FOR FUCKS SAKE!!!!
I don't know if this is good or bad, but it seems Liquid Entertainment is working on this.

poweld

As much as I'd like to see BC on the PS3, am I the only one that has given up on the "leaks" and rumors that will bring about BC?

I mean, seriously, how many times can you guys be baited?

Salaadin

poweld said:
As much as I'd like to see BC on the PS3, am I the only one that has given up on the "leaks" and rumors that will bring about BC?

Itd be different if this was some unsubstantiated BS and not some document packed away on an ftp site for SEGA.

The fact that it was even mentioned at all gives a small inkling of hope for those who want it.

poweld said:

Yes, It's like all that multiple rumors, during months, about a new PS3, with blurry videos or factory images, or all that rumors about a non-UMD PSP. Who can believe all those stupid rumors, obviously all them were fake...

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Lindsay said:
:lol

What can I say? Segac strikes again!

In our favor this time but the disease is spreading throughout the whole company now!

Disc-based DC emulation please! 10/10/10 believe?!
I think that would be impossible, due to the proprietary GD-ROM. Only the Dreamcast can read them I believe.

I was excited about Thor at first until I realized it would be a game based off of the Marvel character and not the excellent Genesis/Saturn games (which are known here as Beyond & Legend of Oasis).

nyprimus2

Drkirby said:
It says Sega would give Sony a list of Dreamcast games and ask them which ones they want exclusively. That means there other games that won't be exclusive, and will be on the XBLA.
I pray

Shenmue 1/2, Sonic Adventure 1/2, Crazy Taxi, Skies of Arcadia, Power Stone 1/2, etc. ughhhhhhhhhhhhh PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

androvsky

inner-G said:
Those 'partial' b/c PS3's had the GS intact on the mobo, they only emulated the CPU.

I know. My point is that even though making a perfect emulator is nearly impossible, Sony was willing and able to deal with glitchy games. Even PS1 games still have a few issues on the PS3.

I'm not currently arguing whether or not it's possible to make a pure software PS2 emulator for the PS3, since that's apparently still up in the air.

DrXym

The reappearance of PS2 BC was an entirely predictable outcome, even it is only so Sony can sell titles on PSN. I wouldn't be surprised if BC is only for a handful of titles and when its support does grow that Sony sell it for $10 or similar.

Tannhauser said:
Pure software emulation of the PS2 on the PS3 is at this point an insurmountable task by all evidence. It will be one hell of a technical achievement if they ever manage it.
Why's that? The 360 can emulate the Xbox, why's it so hard for the PS3 to emulate the PS2?

Raistlin

SimpleDesign said:
Why's that? The 360 can emulate the Xbox, why's it so hard for the PS3 to emulate the PS2?

360 emulating Xbox != PS3 emulating PS2. Totally different HW.

Certain features of the PS2 present particularly difficult problems for emulation (mostly on the GPU rendering side).

Raistlin

charlequin said:
Yeah, it's a real fucking mystery why removing a brand-defining feature from a system then turning around and trying to push a version of it as a pay-per-entry feature would be irritating.

I see you completely missed the point.

Is it weird that the most exciting thing on that list to me is the possibility of seeing Rare characters in Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing?

Banjo and Conker racing around in karts, just like the first time we ever saw them!

PS2 and Dreamcast emulation would be amazing. It would mean that not only could I play all my old PS2 games, upscaled, but I can download the ones that are impossible to find. Plus I never owned a Dreamcast, and am way to lazy to find me a good prices one and some games, just to play the ones that interest me. I would be all over download them.

goldenpp72

Id be pretty sad if I couldn't buy the DC games on my xbox, if true. I kinda figured voot would have started a trend.

I can think of like.. 20-30 dc titles id buy day one on xbla.

StuBurns

Banned
Onix said:
Certain features of the PS2 present particularly difficult problems for emulation (mostly on the GPU rendering side).
Namely the pipe to the eDRAM on the PS2 was larger than the pipe from RSX to the GDDR3 right?

Top Bottom