• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Ages 2500 Vol. 30: Galaxy Force II - July 26th (JPN)

camineet

Banned
ps2galaxyforce2.JPG

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-r-49-en-15-galaxy+force-70-1zez.html

it's not a 3D Ages remake, just a straight port of the original 1988 game. too bad it's almost certainly not coming to the U.S.

I own Sega Ages Galaxy Force II on Saturn, released in 1998. I was terribly disappointed that it was an incredibly shoddy piece of work, by a 3th rate developer, Appaloosa instead pf Rutubo Games who made the Saturn versions of Space Harrier, OutRun, AfterBurner II.

Saturn GFII ran at 20 to 30 FPS. The arcade version from 10 years earlier (now 19 years old) was locked at 60 FPS. The arcade ran on one of Sega's most powerful 'Super-Scaler' boards, the Y-Board, which also ran Power Drift, Rail Chase, G-LOC, R-360/G-LOC and Strike Fighter. Although Y-Board was incredibly powerful for the time, using THREE 68000 CPUs @ 12.5 MHz each and the most powerful 2D video hardware of the time, it has to be far less powerful than Saturn. However Y-Board was simplier. It could rotate the entire frame within its framebuffer, while Saturn's VDP had to rotate each individual sprite seperately. Give that job to an unskilled developer, and its no wonder the Saturn version only managed 1/3 to 1/2 the framerate of the arcade.

I'd import the new one, but my PS2 isn't capable of playing Japan discs, so I'll probably miss out.

owww i wonder what Special Extended Edition entails.

Anyone ever see the SNL Philadelphia movie toy commercial, with the Genesis video game? They used a little footage from GFII. Totally non-sequitur to the movie, and hilarious.

I'm definitely picking this up.

It's been too long waiting for an arcade-perfect Galaxy Force 2. Maybe this time I'll be able to beat it without purposely killing myself on the second to last stage so I'd have enough energy to make it through the final(since you can't continue on the final stage).

camineet

Banned
cartman414 said:
Anyone ever see the SNL Philadelphia movie toy commercial, with the Genesis video game? They used a little footage from GFII. Totally non-sequitur to the movie, and hilarious.

I didn't see that no, but cool.

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
The only thing that made Galaxy Force fun to play in the arcade was the hydraulic cabinet that it came in. Really kind of boring otherwise.

galaxyforcedeluxe.jpg

118124211046.jpg

the SUPER DELUXE Galaxy Force II was the center-piece of a long-gone arcade in Palatine, IL. called Galaxy Game Center - they had a free-play on Sunday mornings for a $4 cover charge. all the games were on freeplay *except* GFII.

I'm still pissed that Geist Force for Dreamcast was killed, it seemed to be the spiritual successor to Galaxy Force.

Rubeus

The game will include four different versions of Galaxy Force II:

Arcade version (Domestic)
Arcade version (Foreign)
Mega Drive/Genesis version
Master System version

The arcade version can be played in the Original mode or the Neo Classic Mode, which includes several enhancements such as high resolution, 16:9 screen ratio, improved 3D graphics and translucency effects.
Images here (doesn't display in here for some reason :( )
http://www.the-magicbox.com/0705/game070524b.shtml

ghibli99

Thanks for the bump reminder... I totally forgot about this. And yeah, I agree about the SS port. What a piece of junk. Same w/ the Power Drift port, which was much better in the DC YSGW collection.

MrSingh

When I saw this in the arcades in the old days I went "This game is made by God, and I want to making scaling/rotation ASICs as my day job!".

Tain

With VO coming in October, we're probably looking at Christmas for the PS collection. It's been a long wait. :(

I totally forgot about that. And history says they'll include the English versions! :eek:

Super pumped for Virtual On, though. The Saturn port is just as bad as GF2, people.

Got my copy. The title screen has a really cool new arrangement of the stage 1 theme. I was disappointed to hear that that version ISN'T from the FM Towns version, whose soundtrack is available in-game. And the Towns soundtrack sucks. :p It's got poorly-defined melodies all over the place and is full of horrible, dated percussion samples. I really appreciate the original synths compared to that.

Neo Classic mode is really smooth. All the 2D is smoothed out, and it runs in high-res (with widescreen 480p for those who can use it).

It supports the Hori Flightstick2 - the same one that came with Ace Combat 5 in the US - and uses both the stick and throttle. I don't have one of these, but I'd use it if I did. On the Dual Shock, you can use the right stick to control the throttle, but I prefer just to map R2 to brake, since I'd rather be at full speed whenever I'm not braking to shoot things or hang a corner.

I've never played the game much until now. I'm getting the hang of it. I like the high-score-for-more-fuel mechanic, and the lockons feel a lot like Panzer Dragoon (or is it the other way around? :p).

camineet

Banned
This thread is getting bumped because someone was good enough to put up a video of the FM Towns version: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Vi66wEM2J54

So now, jiji, I can hear what you were talking about.

I'm stuck with the Saturn version which is in the middle in terms of overall quality. It's better than FM Towns version in visuals but not nearly as smooth as the PS2 version :( Damn it SEGA bring out the PS2 version along with the Sega Ages PS2 remake of AfterBurner II.

Top Bottom