• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA Announces Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown for Xbox LIVE and PlayStation Network

Two Japanese Events are happening tonight/morning. Previous matches now playing

Railway Series - Stage 1-07 (12am PST and 3am EST)
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/vfrtv
Info Here:
http://virtuafighter.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/312123#Post312123

KSVI Preliminary Qualifier - Fukuoka/Saga B (12am PST and 3am EST)
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/vf-tv-live
Info Here:
http://virtuafighter.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/312126#Post312126

Thanks, gonna put some coffee on the pot.

Endo Punk

^^^ I concur. Dev diary was really good and my anticipation for FS has increased. With the boom of 2D fighting games I'm glad there is a fighting series like VF still around. I feel Tekken and SC are not as good as they used to be but VF just goes from strength to strength.

Kuran

Banned
^^^ I concur. Dev diary was really good and my anticipation for FS has increased. With the boom of 2D fighting games I'm glad there is a fighting series like VF still around. I feel Tekken and SC are not as good as they used to be but VF just goes from strength to strength.

Thank god Virtua Fighter still has good character design. It doesn't really suffer from whatever it is that is ailing most Japanese developers.

Endo Punk

Thank god Virtua Fighter still has good character design. It doesn't really suffer from whatever it is that is ailing most Japanese developers.

Yeah I know what you mean. One of the many reasons VF is still may favourite though it used to be Tekken in the early 00's. But now every other fighting game relies on guest characters, gimmicks, power meters and crap that don't anything to the core experience.

Suairyu

Banned
This guy is pretty borderline, though. Goh was also dangerously close to the poor design line, but they just about pulled it off.

Araxen

Banned
Thanks for posting the stream. I've been itching to see the new VF. It looks dated graphically(Yes, I know VF5 has been out for awhile) but looks fun as hell.

As good a place as any, I guess. What styles would you like to see represented next? I think a proper tae kwon do artist is way overdue. Someone like Chae Lim in KoF: Maximum Impact would be great. Also, I'd like some wing chun. A western character doing wing chun but being really humble and soft-spoken could be cool.

Suairyu

Banned
As good a place as any, I guess. What styles would you like to see represented next? I think a proper tae kwon do artist is way overdue. Someone like Chae Lim in KoF: Maximum Impact would be great. Also, I'd like some wing chun. A western character doing wing chun but being really humble and soft-spoken could be cool.
Wing Chun might be really difficult to portray in a way that's fun to play, though. Flat-footed, strong focus on the "straight blast" style punches and due to stance not a lot of range on the attacks. There isn't much that's flashy about wing chun at all, which would really be a problem.

At least with Jacky's Jeet Kune Do they were able to make it really movie-like, you know?

Personally, I'd really like to see more traditional forms of muay thai, like what Tony Jaa presents in his films. I think that's distinctive enough from The Brad Show to justify another character.

Alx

Some may think it would be redundant with Lion's mantis and Eileen's monkey, but I would like to see more animal style kung fu, especially the snake (like Christie in DOA).
As a general rule, I usually appreciate Chinese arts more than others in VF.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Played this in an arcade about a month ago and yeah, the series ended for me on VF 2...

alstein

I really think Sega needs to be careful about adding chars in the future. Maybe just 1 per installment now. I'd like to see some martial arts that haven't been in mainstream fighters before, it that was possible.

Mœbius

Wing Chun might be really difficult to portray in a way that's fun to play, though. Flat-footed, strong focus on the "straight blast" style punches and due to stance not a lot of range on the attacks. There isn't much that's flashy about wing chun at all, which would really be a problem.

At least with Jacky's Jeet Kune Do they were able to make it really movie-like, you know?

Personally, I'd really like to see more traditional forms of muay thai, like what Tony Jaa presents in his films. I think that's distinctive enough from The Brad Show to justify another character.
All good points, but I think it's possible to make wing chun look (as has been shown in movies like Warriors Two, Prodigal Son, Ip Man etc.) and play good; sure they take some liberties in those examples, but it's not like the existing styles as presented in VF and 100% authentic and without added flash.

In terms of mechanics I think it would be really interesting to have a style that emphasized close-range combat, and that could play well into VFs countering and anti-throw system, allowing for some cool trapping and evading extras for a wing chun fighter (to make up for the lack of high kicks). I imagine as well that to make up for lack of long range techniques, the wing chun fighter would have fast footwork and the ability to bridge the gap quickly.

Brisal73

New Info from SEGA today on Gamespots On the Spot

First video of the console version
Detailed Training Mode is in
Online Lobbies are in
10,000 Character Items will be available as DLC

BadWolf

Do you guys think maybe there will be an option to not be able to see opponents with custom character getups? I've watched match vids and a lot of what ppl come up with is very annoying/distracting so I think it would be great to have an option to just be able to fight using the default costumes, especially since I really like the designs Sega came up with.

After playing through VF4, VF4E, VF5 and VF5 360 I would probably welcome the option to simply buy the equipment I want. Quest Mode is fun in itself but the grind for items is ridiculous to the extreme.

New Info from SEGA today on Gamespots On the Spot

First video of the console version
Detailed Training Mode is in
Online Lobbies are in
10,000 Character Items will be available as DLC

Just watched the video myself. Despite the presenter specifically mentioning VF4 Evo, the phrasing from the Sega rep referred to guidance with "the basics and intermediate strings". The accompanying footage also seemed fairly basic. Better than VF5's training mode, but not quite VF4 Evo's gold standard? At least, that's what I took away from it.

I just need the swimsuit pack for my waifu Aoi and I'm good.

The swimsuits for everyone build off the baseline 'S' costume which was introduced in Final Showdown, I believe. It'd be stingy of Sega if they charge just for that. No doubt they'd charge for every colour variation under the sun though.

EDIT: beaten

The item thing will probably be an either or situation similar to what Gotham City Impostors did. That you may be able to buy items with in game currency or with MS Points/PSN Funds which would keep it similar to the arcade at least with the in game currency thing.

Time for Sarah and I to play dress up. And after that we beat up everybody everywhere.

zack-morris-cool.jpg

I knew I'd find a use for this.

alstein

Also according to the vid, FS will be at Final Round and other fighting game tourneys.

This is the big reason I'm still going. Hoping to look at SFvsTK and TTT2, but I honestly don't care how I do in the tournies. Just wish Skullgirls was demoed.

That said this is a full price fighter we're getting for $15 or $20. Spending $50 on DLC won't bother me at all for this. If it wasn't for VF5, I wouldn't even own a console, and would have quit fighters 3 years ago, or just stuck to GGPO.

This is the big reason I'm still going. Hoping to look at SFvsTK and TTT2, but I honestly don't care how I do in the tournies. Just wish Skullgirls was demoed.

That said this is a full price fighter we're getting for $15 or $20. Spending $50 on DLC won't bother me at all for this. If it wasn't for VF5, I wouldn't even own a console, and would have quit fighters 3 years ago, or just stuck to GGPO.

Same here. The reason why I got a 360 is because of VF. I will dabble with other fighters but they are all placeholders until VF is out.

10000 is a lot. Even taking recolored items into account, 10000 is a LOT.

In addition to all the FS items, you have R and VF5 ver. D items as well.

Top Bottom