• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA Announces Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown for Xbox LIVE and PlayStation Network

@MUWANdo

Banned
So the customisation stuff will only be available via DLC, or are they saying they'll add DLC items on top of the standard stuff unlocked via single-player?

SkylineRKR

In a year full of fighting games, this one might take the crown. I get a feeling that this game is going to take the best from both VF4 and 5, and if true it will be my fave without any doubt.

Mahonay

Banned
Pretty excited to have a reason to play more VF5. Had a lot of fun with it on the 360. Online play was top notch even if I usually got my ass kicked. Even enjoyed collecting all of the stupid items you could dress your character with, more of that sounds gravy to me.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Pretty excited to have a reason to play more VF5. Had a lot of fun with it on the 360. Online play was top notch even if I usually got my ass kicked. Even enjoyed collecting all of the stupid items you could dress your character with, more of that sounds gravy to me.

No matter what else happened with the xbox 360, virtua fighter online singlehandedly made it worth it to me. The game was and is amazing, I still play it a few times a week. It made the generation great for me.

Trojan X

Banned
ULTIMATE QUESTION FOR SEGA -

Will this game be interconnected with VF.NET (including VFTV) in anyway so I can record and upload my fights onto Youtube and Facebook, watch the latest fights and tournament in Japan and around the world, and watch the latest VFTV episodes on my console?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qm2P_lsmXY0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Mfktsrwyuc&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL280075628ECE9871

It's a massive miss opportunity for the VF fans (old, new and upcoming) around the world if they don't do things like this that encourages the community. That's SEGA's biggest problem that they must resolve strongly without fail¬!

Shinobi_GR

Neo Member
yeah VF5 hasn't aged a day, best launch game ever (for PS3 europe).

I agree 100%. It is a very important thing and a great achievment for the VF series, that VF5 not only it looks fantastic, but it plays excellent for today standards, even nearly 7 years after its arcade debut.

I will support VF5FS, and I will buy it for PSN and XBLA. And I am very happy to see that SEGA is willing to promote the game. Promotion was the weak spot of the VF series.

If I had one complaint, that would be the fact that I would like to see VF5FS in physical form, not just in digital form. It's a big and important game, and big and important games should be on a disc.

@MUWANdo

Banned
ULTIMATE QUESTION FOR SEGA -

Will this game be interconnected with VF.NET (including VFTV) in anyway so I can record and upload my fights onto Youtube and Facebook, watch the latest fights and tournament in Japan and around the world, and watch the latest VFTV episodes on my console?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qm2P_lsmXY0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Mfktsrwyuc&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL280075628ECE9871

It's a massive miss opportunity for the VF fans (old, new and upcoming) around the world if they don't do things like this that encourages the community. That's SEGA's biggest problem that they must resolve strongly without fail¬!

I totally forgot about this. They'd be complete idiots not to implement VF.NET compatibility with the digital release, as it's a big point of difference between it and the other big games kicking around at the moment.

Of course, Sega's idiocy is well-established, so...

Trojan X

Banned
Yes. VF.NET and VFTV makes up 2/5 of VF5. Without that then we'll have a crippled package for everything ties-in together, which is why the VF community was going strong for several years in Japan. It's unfortunate that people will NEVER understand this unless they experienced it themselves in Japan.

I agree 100%. It is a very important thing and a great achievment for the VF series, that VF5 not only it looks fantastic, but it plays excellent for today standards, even nearly 7 years after its arcade debut.

I will support VF5FS, and I will buy it for PSN and XBLA. And I am very happy to see that SEGA is willing to promote the game. Promotion was the weak spot of the VF series.

If I had one complaint, that would be the fact that I would like to see VF5FS in physical form, not just in digital form. It's a big and important game, and big and important games should be on a disc.

I know what you mean. Digital releases are all well and good, but there is something about owning the hard copy of the game.

Another problem with digi-release in respect to XBL/PSN is game saturation on the dashboard. The only way this game will give plenty of 1st and 2nd deck-placement is by Microsoft/Sony pushing it. If Microsoft is not behind VF5 Final Showdown, then do not be surprised that the game will be buried in the dash board pages after 3 weeks from launch. If that happens, then considering VF's "dismissive" reputation, people will forget about the game or won't feel the urge to even download it. If SEGA wants to succeed with newbie gamers that touch VF for the first time, then SEGA need to take my advice and ensure that they include one extremely important element: Put the full training mode in the trial game!

SEGA really need to understand that XBL/PSN are more than just a buying hub, they contain so many features that it would be a massive crime for SEGA not to take advantage of it. For example, make use of the Video section and put up a translated version of one of the major VF tournaments and some episodes of VFTV. The amount of content on VF5 alone is next to insanity, and the fans and general fighting community alike would like/love to get their hands on it if the situation presents itself.

Shinobi_GR

Neo Member
Yes. VF.NET and VFTV makes up 2/5 of VF5. Without that then we'll have a crippled package for everything ties-in together, which is why the VF community was going strong for several years in Japan. It's unfortunate that people will NEVER understand this unless they experienced it themselves in Japan.

I know what you mean. Digital releases are all well and good, but there is something about owning the hard copy of the game.

Another problem with digi-release in respect to XBL/PSN is game saturation on the dashboard. The only way this game will give plenty of 1st and 2nd deck-placement is by Microsoft/Sony pushing it. If Microsoft is not behind VF5 Final Showdown, then do not be surprised that the game will be buried in the dash board pages after 3 weeks from launch. If that happens, then considering VF's "dismissive" reputation, people will forget about the game or won't feel the urge to even download it. If SEGA wants to succeed with newbie gamers that touch VF for the first time, then SEGA need to take my advice and ensure that they include one extremely important element: Put the full training mode in the trial game!

SEGA really need to understand that XBL/PSN are more than just a buying hub, they contain so many features that it would be a massive crime for SEGA not to take advantage of it. For example, make use of the Video section and put up a translated version of one of the major VF tournaments and some episodes of VFTV. The amount of content on VF5 alone is next to insanity, and the fans and general fighting community alike would like/love to get their hands on it if the situation presents itself.

You are right about that. If SEGA is planning to release a trial version of FS, I will be more then happy to have the full training mode. Practice is everything in VF and I want my Lion to be ready when the game will be released. I hope that VF5FS training mode is on par with the VF4Evo t.m., because in my eyes, the t.m. of VF4Evo is so massive,that i see it more like a game within a game.

As for the VF.TV, all I want is to save my replays and nothing more. I'll be happy with that because I'm not so sure if SEGA should invest that much (about VF.NET/VF.TV) right now for curent gen consoles. But it would be awesome if we could see strong VF.NET/VF.TV support for the next installment, for next gen consoles.

This game has me interested. I love TF2 items and I played the original VF in the arcades way back. If I wanted to dip my toe in again in anticipation of VF5F where should I start? I have a DC and Saturn which I would think would be the closest to my arcade experience, but I also have a BC PS3. So which entry in the series do you guys recommend?

Shinobi_GR

Neo Member
This game has me interested. I love TF2 items and I played the original VF in the arcades way back. If I wanted to dip my toe in again in anticipation of VF5F where should I start? I have a DC and Saturn which I would think would be the closest to my arcade experience, but I also have a BC PS3. So which entry in the series do you guys recommend?

While the fundamentals of Virtua Fighter remain the same in each installment, every game is quite different from the previous one. From what I have seen so far, VF5FS is not a simple update to VF5, it is rather a sequel which shares the same graphic engine with VF5. So, I recommend to start with VF5 (if you have it). In case you don't have it, you can check VF4Evo for PS2/PSN. But If you want to play with Taka in VF5FS, you can get a taste by playing VF3t.b. for DC. Both VF1 and VF2 seem very distant relative to the VF5FS. Even VF4 feels like that.

i hope at least some of those character items are unlockables. not gonna buy the dlc.

funny how the guy in the vid dodged the digital release question :)

i hope at least some of those character items are unlockables. not gonna buy the dlc.

I found it more interesting how he dodged the DOA X VF question, myself.

Also, I'm looking forward to seeing how the new throw system works, since they simplified the throwing direction possibilities and thus the TE possibilities. I get to play meta-fighter all over again with ETEG!

Trojan X

Banned
Karate_Kid_Sweep_Leg.jpg

Yeah I will spend all my money on all the DLC. I bet when it is all said and done, the digital release + DLC = $60/70 which is fine by me.

I cannot wait for this game to come out. Everything else is a placeholder. Long live VF.

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH![/Jacky]

Dachande

Yeah, it was great having to fight and earn all of those character items. It was part of what made Quest so satisfying to play. You got that stuff through your own hard work, and you chose what you wanted to buy with that money.

If you can just unlock everything for a character by buying DLC, that'd be so lame.

SykoTech

Great to hear their stepping it up with Training Mode again. Not interested in DLC though.

Still no word on how much the game itself will cost?

meppi

Haha, I actually bought VF5 on 360 this past week. Had it for a couple of years on PS3, but neglected it for a while.
So today I started playing again. Bit rusty, but I'm starting to get back into the groove.

This probably is my favorite fighting series ever, certainly favorite 3D one.
One thing that went through my mind as I was playing this afternoon is how funny it is that I've been playing for over 15 years and for all these years I've used Pai Chan 99% of the time. :)

If they release VF1 and VF2 skins as DLC, I'll buy them instantly. ;)

alstein

Damn.....VF4:evo is pretty amazing. I think I like it more than 5.

Some folks in the VF community think 4 >5, especially if you have access to Final Tuned (never released on console).

Part of the reason there was such a long wait for Final Showdown is likely because they wanted to make sure we got the last version of the game.

Yep. Just spent 2 hours on it.

Character models also look better to me for some reason. Not as bright as VF5 but I disliked the sweaty clay look a lot of characters had.

Load times are damn near non-existent here too.

I die a little every time I see Taka grin in the eye catch for VF5.

The game looks good, but man - VF6 needs to come along and overhaul the graphics.

kunonabi

There are more than enough items to have a healthy amount in the base package and the rest as dlc. I just can't see them segmenting all of it into DLC. I mean that is probably the most mainstream and eye catching element of the game to people who aren't already VF players. That would severely limit the single player portion of the game if you have nothing to really do outside of training mode.

Top Bottom