• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA Announces Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown for Xbox LIVE and PlayStation Network

Remember, the game is going to be fairly cheap. 14.99-19.99$ Buuuutttttttt SEGA is still working on pricing. They're trying to get the most out of their product. I believe the game might go for 24.99$

If it might go over the $15 mark, it's going to be a games on demand title or an XBLA?

Also, are they trying to get into any of promotions that the companies (like the summer of fun or whatever its called on xbla) do?

If Sega wanted to be really ballsy, they'd make it free with the costume DLC options as they are. Do not underestimate how much people will blow just to make their character look fancy. I'd argue that'd be their best shot at gaining significant traction in the west as well.

Suairyu

Banned
If Sega wanted to be really ballsy, they'd make it free with the costume DLC options as they are. Do not underestimate how much people will blow just to make their character look fancy. I'd argue that'd be their best shot at gaining significant traction in the west as well.
If they're going the F2P route, they might have a better time of it if they create a PC version as well.

It would be an interesting experiment, especially if it is true they have VF6 and new arcade hardware on the horizon.

They can try to build the VF base toward that. I wonder what their expectations of sales, especially in the West.

alstein

Overheard at FR:

Someone asked them about VF6- their response was they weren't allowed to say anything.

VF5FS is awesome, though I'm getting bodied like mad by VF vets- a little tip or two from them on how I was doing it wrong made me somewhat more competitive though. I'll really have to unlearn my defense first mentality I've got from playing fraud fighters.

They're running a free tourney at 9pm, so taking a few to post various places, eating, then getting bodied some more. That would be my guess for the stream.

Humbling but fun experience.

Things you guys should know. You could button check by pressing back(360) or select(PS3) on the character select screen. It shows presets and input data of your actual stick :) Replays could be saved offline and online. Achievements are typical XBL and PSN requirements. They're going to talk to SEGA Of Japan about the DLC concerns. I told them they should do what CAPCOM does with SFIV. If you didn't buy the outfit, you could DL the data anyway, so you could see your opponent rock his outfit.

They have the 360 version, and the PS3 version here. We're playing on HORI's RAP sticks, and EVO monitors. VF5R stages are under consideration as well for DLC. Oh, and this game needs to do well in order for VF6 to come out. The console version of Final Showdown was being worked on for almost two years. AM2 was going back and forth with the console version and the Arcade, and plus, they were working on the 360 and PS3 version at the same time, crazy. They wanted to make sure both version look the same, and sound the same, and it shows. That's one of the reason we didn't get VF5R, AM2 is not big enough to handle such a task, and two. They rather handle the ports themselves. And the NETCODE is an improved version of the previous one. Is being worked on by the Daytona USA, and VirtuaON Team. I'll post more info soon. Time to play some games.

sweet impressions. especially liking the netcode news.

Overheard at FR:

Someone asked them about VF6- their response was they weren't allowed to say anything.

VF5FS is awesome, though I'm getting bodied like mad by VF vets- a little tip or two from them on how I was doing it wrong made me somewhat more competitive though. I'll really have to unlearn my defense first mentality I've got from playing fraud fighters.

They're running a free tourney at 9pm, so taking a few to post various places, eating, then getting bodied some more. That would be my guess for the stream.

Humbling but fun experience.
More dick punches? Seriously though, sooooo jealous of you and ShinobiFist (you'll have to school me up on this when it comes out).

I'll type some info when I head back to the NY. This weekend was amazing. SEGA is really looking out for the fans, no BS. Let's see if they call Markman back. MarkMan came through, let's if SEGA does....

Trojan X

Banned
The biggest issue with Daytona USA is that no one can see the lobby rooms when they go online; the game sends all players to a field of dreams with hope that the server would find someone on the network to put them in. That method is a proven failure and it explains why the incredible game hardly gets any online play time (unless someone makes a room and hopes for the best by staying online long enough for people to populate it). What a shame and lost opportunity.

What AM2 need to do is what PC gaming has been doing for over 20 years, provide many lobby room with occupied counters, ping-rate (or ping meter bar) counter, and server location by country flag so everyone can safely select a room of their choice and have a great expectation of what to expect in each room.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
sigh. this game is getting interesting. i wouldn't want that to happen. the new models look sweet as well.

For all that people troll DOA, there's no reason why a new game with a new director can't turn a series around.

IIRC, where there not claims that DOA4 originally had changes to the system that hardcore players would have appreciated, but Itagaki vetoed and rolled back just to remain hardline?

Unlike past years, fighting games are a much more competitive genre right now... seems it would be foolish for the current Team Ninja to develop a DOA and not pay attention to what other games were doing.

Though I think their whole branding of the game with "cinematic fighting action" or whatever is essentially saying "go the fuck away whiny fighting game players and let people have a fun game. We're not even calling it a fighting game" ha ha.

Bebpo

Banned
If AM2 did a VF vs. DoA it'd probably be pretty awesome. DoA has very solid foundations and just needs expert tweaking and balancing. And imagine DoA characters with the customization options of VF5 :eek:

geebee

Banned
Damn good info, ShinobiFist. I'll prob be picking this up on both Xbox and PS3. I still have my VSHG.. and I'm hoping an Xbox 360 version will be released.

TreIII

IIRC, where there not claims that DOA4 originally had changes to the system that hardcore players would have appreciated, but Itagaki vetoed and rolled back just to remain hardline?

Itagaki did do a "clean up". But while Itagaki did play a big part in how things went down, another interesting thing to note is Team Ninja actually hired Virtua Fighter players in order to system balance DOA4, instead of actual DOA3 players who know the DOA engine inside and out. Relatively speaking, that would be akin to SNK calling in Street Fighter players (who only play SF) to playtest a KOF game.

So, besides Itagaki being gone, part of the reason DOA5 looks promising at all is because Shimbori (DOA director) has actually been in contact with the FreeStepDodge figureheads this time around, and apparently utilizing design philosophies that don't gimp the DOA formula for no reason, which is effectively what went wrong with DOA4.

Itagaki did do a "clean up". But while Itagaki did play a big part in how things went down, another interesting thing to note is Team Ninja actually hired Virtua Fighter players in order to system balance DOA4, instead of actual DOA3 players who know the DOA engine inside and out. Relatively speaking, that would be akin to SNK calling in Street Fighter players (who only play SF) to playtest a KOF game.

As weird as it seems that calling in players from another franchise, even the one your games started out based on, to test your game is (and yes, it's very odd. why would you do that?!) it's absolutely not that strictly at fault for some of the more odd design changes made to the game. If that were the case it would have played more like VF than DOA-.

Itagaki did do a "clean up". But while Itagaki did play a big part in how things went down, another interesting thing to note is Team Ninja actually hired Virtua Fighter players in order to system balance DOA4, instead of actual DOA3 players who know the DOA engine inside and out.
IIRC, this actually resulted in a good game until Itagaki said that he didn't like their suggestions and made the game even more counter and stun heavy than ever before.

alstein

I thought this would be a good idea, but then 90% of folks in F2P games tend to not buy anything.

Also, you gotta pay for the bandwidth on PS3.

I do think they should offer a pre-order "season pass' though, to get $60 out of the hardcores.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
If AM2 did a VF vs. DoA it'd probably be pretty awesome. DoA has very solid foundations and just needs expert tweaking and balancing. And imagine DoA characters with the customization options of VF5 :eek:

I'd rather AM2 do a new Fighting Vipers! If Darkstalkers can be brought back then I say its FV's time to shine!

I do think they should offer a pre-order "season pass' though, to get $60 out of the hardcores.

Or release it on disc for $60! That way I'd actually buy the game! Still hoping for JP to get a physical release at the very least.

My favorite aspect of Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown is the user-friendly tutorial mode. Similar to other fighters, you work through moves and combos of progressive complexity, learning each characters’ rhythm as you do. But unlike many other fighting games, each combo is accompanied by a video showing how a specific flurry of punches is supposed to look. This removes the pain of guessing timing windows in practice mode. I wish more fighters would steal this idea.

Not impressed by everything I’ve mentioned thus far? Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown also includes simplified controls for newcomers and online play for one-on-one battles and tournaments. Sega says online pugilists can look forward to matches with "little latency." The game looks like it could have a lot to offer Virtua Fighter fans, or general fighting enthusiasts looking for a disc-free game that’s always ready to go on their console. Look for it this summer on PSN and XBLA.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/v...-on-with-virtua-fighter-5-final-showdown.aspx

Right thread this time.

First off, the Japanese Nation VF5 tournament is tonight. 3 and a half hours from this post.

More Details Here

I was just checking virtuafighter.com and it looks like we have gotten a glimpse of the game menu which let us see some training mode options

Link Here

Game menu shown: (Updated: 14-Mar-2012, Ref #4)

• Single Player
  • Offline Versus
  • Online Battle
  • Dojo
    Tutorial
    Command Training
    Free Training​
  • Terminal
    Replays
    Customisation​
  • Scoreboards
  • Help & Options
  • Download Content

Training mode reveals: (Updated: 14-Mar-2012, Ref #4)
Record mode: Up to 3 actions may be recorded and played back.
On screen display: attack damage, execution, frame advantage/disadvantage, and evade directions (using icons)
Combo practice: much like command practice, there was a combo practice element within Training mode. The combo demo'd was Jacky's b+P+K --> d/f+K,P,d+K,K .

Hmm...

The Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown Pre-Launch Party is going down on May 19th in Los Angeles! Join us for a knock-out party celebrating the launch of Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown this summer on XBLA and PSN.

SEGA Star Players Fuudo (EVO 2011, SSF4 SA Edition Champ) and Chibita (Kakutou Shinseiki VI Winner, EVO 2003 VF4 Tournament Champ) will play an exhibition match, and a few lucky attendees will be able to challenge the star players to a round of Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown. The exhibition match will be hosted by fighting game legend Alex Valle from Level|Up.

http://blogs.sega.com/2012/03/22/join-us-for-the-virtua-fighter-5-final-showdown-pre-launch-party/

Right thread this time.

First off, the Japanese Nation VF5 tournament is tonight. 3 and a half hours from this post.

More Details Here

I was just checking virtuafighter.com and it looks like we have gotten a glimpse of the game menu which let us see some training mode options

Link Here

Thanks for the info, Sega is going all-out with this.

What I really want to know though is the source of your avatar art. Don't recall ever seeing it.

Top Bottom