• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega CD/Mega CD Appreciation Thread of Welcome to the Next Level

lazygecko

I love listening to all these Core soundtracks on the system (most by Martin Iveson). Battlecorps is straight up Ozric Tentacles. Also dat edgy language selection track.

Oh, and

tumblr_o27nbvGK531r7sijxo1_500.gif

I finally beat the Adventures of Batman and Robin. After I finally figured out how to destroy those cabs... you have to shoot them as you are diving down.

Next up Amazing Spiderman vs Kingpin. I played this a little before and was kind of confused about the map system and where I was supposed to go.

I finally beat the Adventures of Batman and Robin. After I finally figured out how to destroy those cabs... you have to shoot them as you are diving down.

Next up Amazing Spiderman vs Kingpin. I played this a little before and was kind of confused about the map system and where I was supposed to go.

The bad ending in that game is legendary. Its not amazing, but it even has a randomized map system that is pretty cool.

The bad ending in that game is legendary. Its not amazing, but it even has a randomized map system that is pretty cool.
The bad ending was the only thing amazing about the game. I thought the game was terrible. I actually liked Adventures of Batman and Robin better. I accidentally hit the map button twice when defusing the bomb because I'm an idiot. But I still think they should have had a confirmation on something like that to take you back to the map.

Sandman and venom I never would have beat if I didn't watch video on how to do it. I can't imagine how frustrated I would have been and how long it would have taken me to figure that out back in the sega cd pre-internet days. There was no real point or challenge to any map and every boss was easy except for a couple.

I think I'll do Battlecorps next.

AmyS

Diehard GameFan with some import RPG Sega CD coverage.

Fhey Area.

ODMjPrg.jpg

For those that missed the EGM preview of Fhey Area, here it is:

h59AC4z.jpg

GameFan on Isle Lord.

tk4T9dW.jpg

Galdelico

Bari-Arm is one tough mother, but I'm LOVING it so far. I bought it mainly because I found it on the (relatively) cheap and I knew it was well regarded, but it's easily surpassing my expectations.
Aside from the wonderful soundtrack, what makes my jaw drop here are the rich parallax scrolling - one of the best I've ever seen, in some places - those sporadic 'Mega-CD' 3D effects and the huge bosses. Plus, the weapon/power-up system definitely brings something unique to the table, both in terms of pacing and strategy. What a gem.
Stage 5 is kicking my ass, though. :/

Everyone figuring out about the Sega CD in the last 9 months? Prices have spiked the most in that timeframe & games that I've been looking out are entering the $100+ territory. Aleste, Lords of Thunder & Soul Star. I know Game Sack just did a bit on Lords of Thunder, but still, it was going up before that.

Khaz

Lords of thunder has been creeping up as it kept being touted as a cheap alternative to the PCEngine. Not so much any more. Aleste is riding the MUSHA fame, and I didn't know Soul Star was going up. Maybe a hidden gem video somewhere?

Wow, never heard of Fhey Area either---some nice pics there! Good grief how many more of these rpgs have somehow managed to stay in my blindspot for all these years...

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Diehard GameFan with some import RPG Sega CD coverage.

Fhey Area.

ODMjPrg.jpg

For those that missed the EGM preview of Fhey Area, here it is:

h59AC4z.jpg

GameFan on Isle Lord.

tk4T9dW.jpg

Welcome back, Amy! Great scans, I LOVED the import RPG coverage back in the Gamefan days. I recently picked up a sealed copy of Fhey Area for only $9, it's amazing how cheap Japanese RPGs can be (the American versions of them on the other hand...)

Bari-Arm is one tough mother, but I'm LOVING it so far. I bought it mainly because I found it on the (relatively) cheap and I knew it was well regarded, but it's easily surpassing my expectations.
Aside from the wonderful soundtrack, what makes my jaw drop here are the rich parallax scrolling - one of the best I've ever seen, in some places - those sporadic 'Mega-CD' 3D effects and the huge bosses. Plus, the weapon/power-up system definitely brings something unique to the table, both in terms of pacing and strategy. What a gem.
Stage 5 is kicking my ass, though. :/
I really enjoyed it as well. I think the stage 5 boss is the hardest in the game.

Everyone figuring out about the Sega CD in the last 9 months? Prices have spiked the most in that timeframe & games that I've been looking out are entering the $100+ territory. Aleste, Lords of Thunder & Soul Star. I know Game Sack just did a bit on Lords of Thunder, but still, it was going up before that.
I started going for a complete collection about a year ago and have been on ebay about every day looking for deals. The cheapest I've seen Lords of Thunder lately is $150. Soulstar I hardly ever see come up but one sold for $70 recently that I was trying to get. I don't keep up on Aleste but I've seen it randomly for $90. Keio went for $920 last week :(

I really enjoyed it as well. I think the stage 5 boss is the hardest in the game.

I started going for a complete collection about a year ago and have been on ebay about every day looking for deals. The cheapest I've seen Lords of Thunder lately is $150. Soulstar I hardly ever see come up but one sold for $70 recently that I was trying to get. I don't keep up on Aleste but I've seen it randomly for $90. Keio went for $920 last week :(
Soulstar is what I really want & yeah, I rarely shows up. Aleste is not that big of a deal because I have the superior version on the Genesis. And Keio? GTFO.

Bar81

Yes, I'm aware. As expensive as they are, I'm content with Musha.

It's by far the better game and one of the best shmups I've ever played imo. Robo Aleste is garbage in comparison. Your statement just made it sound like they were alternative versions of the same game so I wanted to make sure.

It's by far the better game and one of the best shmups I've ever played imo. Robo Aleste is garbage in comparison. Your statement just made it sound like they were alternative versions of the same game so I wanted to make sure.

I worded it poorly. I tend to do that quite often unfortunately.

I've been playing Mickey Mania recently. Aside from some unforgiving clipping/hit detection when jumping on things this has been a pleasant surprise. They add enough non traditional platforming levels to keep it interesting. Looks and sounds great too.

IrishNinja

MUSHA"s amazing but Robo is far from garbage

Keio stays quickly climbing up to 1k...goddamn, i don't even get it. i like cute-em-ups as much as the next person, but you can still get Ages - Fantasy Star for like a song!!

This weekend I pull another game from my backlog. I bought this game at a flea market in Daytona Beach in 1999. Although I had eventually given away all my cart based games due to the nomadic lifestyle of a young twenty-something and the idea that emulation was all I ever needed, I luckily held onto my disc based games.

y8yEGBW.jpg

This weekend I pull another game from my backlog. I bought this game at a flea market in Daytona Beach in 1999. Although I had eventually given away all my cart based games due to the nomadic lifestyle of a young twenty-something and the idea that emulation was all I ever needed, I luckily held onto my disc based games.

http://i.imgur.com/y8yEGBW.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Good thing to have held onto. Still looking for a copy myself.

Conezays

Welcome back, Amy! Great scans, I LOVED the import RPG coverage back in the Gamefan days. I recently picked up a sealed copy of Fhey Area for only $9, it's amazing how cheap Japanese RPGs can be (the American versions of them on the other hand...)

Very cool scan again! I wonder who came up with that title though, lol. When I hear "Aisle Lord," I think of obnoxious people on airplanes.

I'm about two hours into Popful Mail. Two non-skippable dialog sequences in a row right before a boss fight that I am having trouble getting past is not giving me a good time.

I ended up finishing Popful Mail. Not being able to skip cut-scenes after reload on boss fights was a real bummer. I think I spent more time on loading and dialog boxes than the actual fights. Granted I am bad. Other than that it was really good. I was pleasantly surprised by the games humor and dialog.

I finished Mickey Mania and I thought it was outstanding. My only complaint was weird hit detection at times when jumping on things but I was able to get used to it and not be bothered by it.

I'm playing Bram Stoker's Dracula right now. The game obviously has some problems but the more I play it the more I'm digging it. I've only made it up to level three so I've got a ways to go. It does have the worst full screen fmv I've seen so far on the system.

KC-Slater

Can I use my Japanese Model 1 Mega Drive with a North American Sega CD? (either model 1 or 2 -- don't care.)

If so, which region of games would I be able to play on the CD-portion of this monstrocity?

BTails

I finished Mickey Mania and I thought it was outstanding. My only complaint was weird hit detection at times when jumping on things but I was able to get used to it and not be bothered by it.

I'm playing Bram Stoker's Dracula right now. The game obviously has some problems but the more I play it the more I'm digging it. I've only made it up to level three so I've got a ways to go. It does have the worst full screen fmv I've seen so far on the system.

I love Mickey Mania, what a great game. The Sega CD version is arguably the best too: The Playstation rerelease had a bunch of redone graphics which weren't as nice, in my opinion)

Also, I bought Bram Stoker's Dracula for $5 about 2 years ago, and haven't put more than 10 minutes into it. I remember the FMV being terri-bad. Maybe I should play some more of this. Is there an infinite continue cheat code? I remember running out of lives/continues really quickly.

TunaLover

y8yEGBW.jpg
Beautiful

I love Mickey Mania, what a great game. The Sega CD version is arguably the best too: The Playstation rerelease had a bunch of redone graphics which weren't as nice, in my opinion)

Also, I bought Bram Stoker's Dracula for $5 about 2 years ago, and haven't put more than 10 minutes into it. I remember the FMV being terri-bad. Maybe I should play some more of this. Is there an infinite continue cheat code? I remember running out of lives/continues really quickly.
Mickey Mania surprised me because I never heard anything about it. You always hear about Castle of Illusion (rightly so). I thought MM was on par. I didn't know there was a Playstation version, I might try and pick that up sometime.

There is a 99 lives cheat code for Dracula. I seem to be one of the few people who doesn't mind the game. Maybe that will change as I get farther along and the difficulty ramps up even more. I did turn it off after about ten minutes during my first play session.

I also beat Microcosm (fmv rail shooter) which I thought was absolutely terrible. Nothing good to say about it. Also, Puggsy...interesting puzzle/platformer that kind of wears thin by the end but not bad.

DedValve

Banned
Just bought sonic cd the other week on the xbox one and its my first time playing.

Music is incredible, one of the best and absolutely amazing. Platforming is fantastic and levels are great fun except the parts where you run into a spring straight into an enemy which happens a lot. Bosses are a joke, absolutely no difficulty at all. Love the time system and different variations even if i dont fully understand it. Right now trying to get the time stones but i think i may have missed one in the second zone which makes me mad this game has no level select.

All in all fantastic game. Absolutely fantastic.

Edit: and its $5 too which is a steal.

Mickey Mania surprised me because I never heard anything about it. You always hear about Castle of Illusion (rightly so). I thought MM was on par. I didn't know there was a Playstation version, I might try and pick that up sometime.

So, the Playstation version only adds one small bonus level, and its nothing outstanding. For some reason, as well, they made the game way more difficult, which sucks some of the fun out of it. Its the reason why the Sega CD version is so highly regarded. I don't know if i like Mickey Mania more then Castle Of Illusion, but its a big toss-up.

BTails

I also beat Microcosm (fmv rail shooter) which I thought was absolutely terrible. Nothing good to say about it.

Haha, I picked up Microcosm for $5 at the same time as Dracula. Can't beat a $5 Sega CD game with a minty case nowadays. If you tell me you bought Hook at the same time too, I'll be worried...

So, the Playstation version only adds one small bonus level, and its nothing outstanding. For some reason, as well, they made the game way more difficult, which sucks some of the fun out of it. Its the reason why the Sega CD version is so highly regarded. I don't know if i like Mickey Mania more then Castle Of Illusion, but its a big toss-up.
Sounds like I should just stick with the Sega CD version and not tarnish it by trying the Playstation one.

Haha, I picked up Microcosm for $5 at the same time as Dracula. Can't beat a $5 Sega CD game with a minty case nowadays. If you tell me you bought Hook at the same time too, I'll be worried...
haha, no I got all these games randomly the last few years. I don't have a stand alone copy of Hook, just the 3 ninjas/hook double pack. I just recently entered all of my sega cd games into the backloggery and have been using their random fortune cookie feature to pick games to play.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I own the Snes-version of Mickey Mania, and found it pretty mediocre really. LOVED the premise of playing through Mickeys career, and I also really liked the presentation and some of the levels were interesting, but in the end, the level design in the game wasnt great, and the controls was slow and not always responsive. So yeah, in my opinion its way weaker than Castle of Illusion and also World of Illusion.

I own the Snes-version of Mickey Mania, and found it pretty mediocre really. LOVED the premise of playing through Mickeys career, and I also really liked the presentation and some of the levels were interesting, but in the end, the level design in the game wasnt great, and the controls was slow and not always responsive. So yeah, in my opinion its way weaker than Castle of Illusion and also World of Illusion.

It still blew my mind the SNES version of Mania has load times.

Also, man i wanted to really like World Of Illusions but i just find it to be very ok.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
It still blew my mind the SNES version of Mania has load times.

Also, man i wanted to really like World Of Illusions but i just find it to be very ok.

Yeah, I think the reason why I like World of Illusion is that I played it so much in mp with my friend. As a singleplayer game, its flaws are much more apparent. But that mp is there, and that makes it fun imo.

Moofers

I started doing shows on YouTube earlier this year and Sega CD games are something I want to spend time on because I grew up playing the Genesis/Sega CD combo and have a lot of great memories of those days.

Recently, I did Lords of Thunder which oddly enough I didn't even have as a kid, I just recently got introduced to it and thought it was awesome. I did do Final Fight CD which was HUGE for me and I plan to do some of the Digital Pictures stuff soon as well because believe it or not, I loved those as a kid.

For those of you who enjoy Lets Play kind of stuff on YouTube, what are some Sega CD games you'd like to see people play and talk about? From my childhood, I'm definitely going to visit all of the following at some point:

-Mortal Kombat
-Ground Zero Texas
-Lethal Enforcers

Not sure what else to put on the list. I only had like 8 or so Sega CD games but I played the ever-loving hell out of them. What are some good ones I missed like Lords of Thunder that might lend themselves to the LP format for a good show?

Top Bottom