• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega CD/Mega CD Appreciation Thread of Welcome to the Next Level

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
For those of you who enjoy Lets Play kind of stuff on YouTube, what are some Sega CD games you'd like to see people play and talk about? From my childhood, I'm definitely going to visit all of the following at some point:

-Mortal Kombat
-Ground Zero Texas
-Lethal Enforcers

Not sure what else to put on the list. I only had like 8 or so Sega CD games but I played the ever-loving hell out of them. What are some good ones I missed like Lords of Thunder that might lend themselves to the LP format for a good show?

What about:

tumblr_o27nbvGK531r7sijxo1_500.gif

Moofers

Oh well I actually remember when that game was out, but I never played it. I'm a big fan of fighting games though, so I'll put it on the list! Hell, I plan to do one for Clayfighter at some point so why not Brutal, right?

I started doing shows on YouTube earlier this year and Sega CD games are something I want to spend time on because I grew up playing the Genesis/Sega CD combo and have a lot of great memories of those days.

Recently, I did Lords of Thunder which oddly enough I didn't even have as a kid, I just recently got introduced to it and thought it was awesome. I did do Final Fight CD which was HUGE for me and I plan to do some of the Digital Pictures stuff soon as well because believe it or not, I loved those as a kid.

For those of you who enjoy Lets Play kind of stuff on YouTube, what are some Sega CD games you'd like to see people play and talk about? From my childhood, I'm definitely going to visit all of the following at some point:

-Mortal Kombat
-Ground Zero Texas
-Lethal Enforcers

Not sure what else to put on the list. I only had like 8 or so Sega CD games but I played the ever-loving hell out of them. What are some good ones I missed like Lords of Thunder that might lend themselves to the LP format for a good show?

Clearly all of GAF will show up for Brutal, but other good options!

-Panic, its barely a game, its really weird, and is good to react and talk over, if thats the kind of thing you are looking for
-Sonic CD. Its Sonic CD, you really can't go wrong there
-Any of the Make My Videos. They are weird, though you'd probably wanna do them all in one go. You can't milk a lot of time out of them in a Let's Play format.
-Flink. Very underrated game on the system, and a lot of fun.

Thats just some initial games though.

BTails

How about Jurassic Park? That's a very interesting game, a point-and-click adventure with timed sequences (In fact, the whole game is timed). Super frustrating, but I played it so much when I was younger!

Moofers

Clearly all of GAF will show up for Brutal, but other good options!

-Panic, its barely a game, its really weird, and is good to react and talk over, if thats the kind of thing you are looking for
-Sonic CD. Its Sonic CD, you really can't go wrong there
-Any of the Make My Videos. They are weird, though you'd probably wanna do them all in one go. You can't milk a lot of time out of them in a Let's Play format.
-Flink. Very underrated game on the system, and a lot of fun.

Thats just some initial games though.

Of course, how could I forget Sonic CD. I had that one and really dug it. Never heard of Flink but I'll definitely look into it. As for the "Make My" stuff, I'll probably pass on those. They don't have any meaning to me and aren't really games, so they're probably not a good fit for my particular channel. Thanks though! Can't believe I forgot Sonic!

How about Jurassic Park? That's a very interesting game, a point-and-click adventure with timed sequences (In fact, the whole game is timed). Super frustrating, but I played it so much when I was younger!

I had Jurassic Park and really hated it because I was hoping it would be like the Genesis version, but better. Imagine my surprise when I found out it was this weird point and click game with kooky music! I'll probably not revisit that one.

KC-Slater

I loved Jurassic Park. It's definitely my favourite Sega CD game from when I was a kid!

It blew my mind, and was a great companion-piece to the film.

I managed to beat Bram Stoker's Dracula and Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. Frankenstein was a strange adventure game that had 2d fighting game encounters,which actually doesn't seem like a bad idea. It just needs a more interesting environment and better fighting game system. The forest level was dumb and confusing. Bad game.

Dracula has problems but I liked the game. It isn't overly difficult after you get used to the combat system and control lag.

I fucking shit my pants today. I found the white whale today.

A BRAND NEW. JVC X'eye Complete in Box. I thought it was just the box, but I opened it and saw everything still in it's wrapping. The console had no scratches, it has those three bundled softwares sealed, the manual was sealed, the JVC branded controller was there, and it had that JVC AC Adapter.

My girlfriend said I looked like Steven Universe at my find. She said I looked like this.

tumblr_inline_o3dhmfHyuD1qi7jvf_540.png

It only cost me 75 dollars too! I had a JVC X'eye in the past, but I have never seen a new one in my life. Hell even when it was new, I never saw it. But this moment just made me smile like an idiot.

Teknoman

A BRAND NEW. JVC X'eye Complete in Box. I thought it was just the box, but I opened it and saw everything still in it's wrapping. The console had no scratches, it has those three bundled softwares sealed, the manual was sealed, the JVC branded controller was there, and it had that JVC AC Adapter.

My girlfriend said I looked like Steven Universe at my find. She said I looked like this.

It only cost me 75 dollars too! I had a JVC X'eye in the past, but I have never seen a new one in my life. Hell even when it was new, I never saw it. But this moment just made me smile like an idiot.

lol wow, where was this?

congrats on the pickup!

BTails

Congrats on the JVC X'Eye! Did you happen to get one compatible with a 32x? I think there was two revisions, one that had the necessary Video-Out (Same as the Genesis 2), and one that didn't.

So, I played some Bram Stoker's Dracula last night. It's one of those games that's technically a "bad game", but is still endearing in a number of ways. The level/boss FMVs are a confusing mishmash of 2-3 second clips from the movie with very awkward editing. They're also oddly silent: game music plays over the clips, which sometimes even feature characters moving their lips despite no dialog playing.

The FMVs within the stages are a lot better, especially once you get past the really drab first level, which is practically black and white given the poor palette choices! By the time you get to the second level, each room you enter in Dracula's castle pans around before settling on a 2d profile view for you to play in. Every once and a while the room will pan as you move through it, which looks really cool!

The CD soundtrack isn't terrible either. This track from Stage 2 is pretty good, at least in the context of the game.

The game itself reminds me a lot of Kung Fu on the NES. You're constantly moving from one side of the screen to the other, while enemies pour in from both directions, some requiring you to kick, some punch, others a jump kick, etc. Like in Kung Fu, most enemies die in one attack, and the key to success is figuring out how to kill them without taking damage.

All in all, $5 well spent when I picked this one up. I'm kinda looking forward to giving it another run tonight, and seeing if I can get a bit farther: I think I nailed the pattern of the boss for Stage 2, so old Dracula should go down pretty easy.

The game itself reminds me a lot of Kung Fu on the NES. You're constantly moving from one side of the screen to the other, while enemies pour in from both directions, some requiring you to kick, some punch, others a jump kick, etc. Like in Kung Fu, most enemies die in one attack, and the key to success is figuring out how to kill them without taking damage.
I never thought about it, but you are exactly right with the Kung Fu comparison. It is essentially Kung Fu in almost every way mechanic wise. I'm glad I'm not the only one who had no idea what some of the fmv clips were trying to convey.

There are a couple segments on later levels where the pre rendered background shifts/rotates as you walk which is very cool. Be sure to kill all of the bats that fly over you then swoop back around in groups. They'll drop full health or extra life if you get them all.

I'm playing through Loadstar: The Legend of Tully Bodine currently. This is an fmv rail shooter. You are literally on rails driving some weird train like vehicle. This game is too hard for it's own good. It's probably the best fmv rail shooter I've played thus far on the system but the difficulty is turning it into frustration. There is a time limit and you have to pick branching paths and stay on the correct heading while shooting enemies or deflecting missiles coming back at you and steer clear of other vehicles. It gets a bit hectic.

Khaz

I'm playing through Loadstar: The Legend of Tully Bodine currently. This is an fmv rail shooter. You are literally on rails driving some weird train like vehicle. This game is too hard for it's own good. It's probably the best fmv rail shooter I've played thus far on the system but the difficulty is turning it into frustration. There is a time limit and you have to pick branching paths and stay on the correct heading while shooting enemies or deflecting missiles coming back at you and steer clear of other vehicles. It gets a bit hectic.

If it weren't for the FVM part, you could have used the same text to describe Rescue Mission on the Master System. Uncanny.

582835-level.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS4894A6xl4

Galdelico

I swear I can't figure out how the cutscenes in Sylpheed are rendered... I mean, they don't look like FMV - they run smoothly, full screen and with no compression - but all those polys seem too much for the Mega-CD, even if it wasn't real time. It surely does look impressive, though.

Maou

Can I use my Japanese Model 1 Mega Drive with a North American Sega CD? (either model 1 or 2 -- don't care.)

If so, which region of games would I be able to play on the CD-portion of this monstrocity?
You can! You'll be playing NA games off of that, though---region-wise all the MCD cares about is itself, not the Mega Drive it's grafted onto.

JVC! But when will more people be in here bragging about their Multi-megas ("CDX?")? One time I asked an old lady in an off-the-beaten-track Akihabara shop side street loaded with old consoles if she ever gets any, and she says she sees one come through "maybe every few years or so." The real solution is to go to the countryside, of course.

KC-Slater

You can! You'll be playing NA games off of that, though---region-wise all the MCD cares about is itself, not the Mega Drive it's grafted onto.

JVC! But when will more people be in here bragging about their Multi-megas ("CDX?")? One time I asked an old lady in an off-the-beaten-track Akihabara shop side street loaded with old consoles if she ever gets any, and she says she sees one come through "maybe every few years or so." The real solution is to go to the countryside, of course.

Awesome -- Thanks for the response! Time to seek out a Model 1 Sega CD...

Maou

Awesome -- Thanks for the response! Time to seek out a Model 1 Sega CD...

Aye, you must! Model 2 will work just fine even if you don't find a copy with the "extender." the Model 1 MD will just stick off the end a little bit, but no matter. What's important is that you get a MCD ASAP.

I haven't had a ton of time to play lately, but I'm still going through Loadstar. I must beat it. I have had some nice pickups in the last month. Working Designs complete.

XjTpulS.jpg

I haven't had a ton of time to play lately, but I'm still going through Loadstar. I must beat it. I have had some nice pickups in the last month. Working Designs complete.

XjTpulS.jpg

I wanna like Vay more then i do, but i'm just glad they brought more stuff over here, even if its not the best.

Terminator also continues to be one of my favorite Video Game Soundtracks on the Sega CD (and possibly on any retro console)

I wanna like Vay more then i do, but i'm just glad they brought more stuff over here, even if its not the best.

Terminator also continues to be one of my favorite Video Game Soundtracks on the Sega CD (and possibly on any retro console)
I certainly haven't heard great things about Vay. I'm excited to jump into Terminator, even more so if the soundtrack is as good as you say.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I keep forgetting to check the PC port of Sonic CD, I've only played it on mobile but I assume a larger screen and a controller makes the game much easier to handle?

I keep forgetting to check the PC port of Sonic CD, I've only played it on mobile but I assume a larger screen and a controller makes the game much easier to handle?

I assume you mean the Taxman port, right?

Sonic CD got a contemporaneous PC port in the 1990s for Win 95 too!

s_mirage

Mega-CD GAF, opinions on Devastator? Is it really craptastic as I'm reading right now?

Late to answer but it's not great. It's not horrible, and the shmup sections are quite fun, but the rest could have been so much better if they'd just improved the controls. It's a pretty typical Wolfteam game I suppose.

I never thought about it, but you are exactly right with the Kung Fu comparison. It is essentially Kung Fu in almost every way mechanic wise. I'm glad I'm not the only one who had no idea what some of the fmv clips were trying to convey.

There are a couple segments on later levels where the pre rendered background shifts/rotates as you walk which is very cool. Be sure to kill all of the bats that fly over you then swoop back around in groups. They'll drop full health or extra life if you get them all.
Bram Stoker's Draula for the SCD is absolutely horrendous. Awful, awful game... nice FMV backgrounds, sure, but the gameplay is really bad.

Loadstar is essentially Sewer Shark, but harder. I think the live-action cutscenes are pretty entertaining stuff, and the gameplay is fun at first, but I find navigating incredibly frustrating! Seriously, I've never managed to beat the first level in this game, because figuring out which turns you need to take to stay on the right heading is incredibly difficult, and there is no map to help you out. It also doesn't help that your cursor determines the direction you turn, so it can be tricky to make turns when enemies are attacking you from the wrong side of the screen at that moment... but still, the visuals are good and zooming around while you shoot at things is entertaining. So yeah, Loadstar is fun, but it needed a map on the pause menu of the rail network and arrows telling you which turns to make, because as it is navigating is insanely difficult. I know some people have actually beaten a level in this game, but I still haven't. :(

Mega-CD GAF, opinions on Devastator? Is it really craptastic as I'm reading right now?
No, Devastator is a fun little game. I don't know if it's worth paying a lot for as it isn't incredibly long or challenging, but I do like playing it.

Galdelico

Late to answer but it's not great. It's not horrible, and the shmup sections are quite fun, but the rest could have been so much better if they'd just improved the controls. It's a pretty typical Wolfteam game I suppose.

No, Devastator is a fun little game. I don't know if it's worth paying a lot for as it isn't incredibly long or challenging, but I do like playing it.

Thanks guys. I think I could grab a complete copy (spine + reg. card are included) for 60 euros, but I'm not sure the price is right... Seller doesn't seem open to lower it down at all.

Wow really? Was totally unaware that there's a 90s PC port as well, I wonder how it played :lol

I only found out when I picked it up at a flea market not long ago. I wish I could tell you but I no longer own a system capable of playing it.

I remember owning Sonic 3 & Knuckles on PC back in the day and it was atrocious though.

As for Taxman Sonic CD, I only own it on PSN and iOS but I imagine the PC port is just as good. I play the iOS version with a bluetooth controller anyway so it's fine.

Bram Stoker's Draula for the SCD is absolutely horrendous. Awful, awful game... nice FMV backgrounds, sure, but the gameplay is really bad.
I beat the game...and I liked it. I can see why people don't like it and think it's the worst.

Loadstar is essentially Sewer Shark, but harder. I think the live-action cutscenes are pretty entertaining stuff, and the gameplay is fun at first, but I find navigating incredibly frustrating! Seriously, I've never managed to beat the first level in this game, because figuring out which turns you need to take to stay on the right heading is incredibly difficult, and there is no map to help you out. It also doesn't help that your cursor determines the direction you turn, so it can be tricky to make turns when enemies are attacking you from the wrong side of the screen at that moment... but still, the visuals are good and zooming around while you shoot at things is entertaining. So yeah, Loadstar is fun, but it needed a map on the pause menu of the rail network and arrows telling you which turns to make, because as it is navigating is insanely difficult. I know some people have actually beaten a level in this game, but I still haven't. :(
The trick to the first level is you hardly ever need to move the cursor to shoot, the things fly right into your crosshair. You just need to steer in the right directions. The nice thing is after you beat a level you essentially have infinite continues to try level 2 then 3 etc. I'm still working on level 2. A map would have been very helpful.

s_mirage

Thanks guys. I think I could grab a complete copy (spine + reg. card are included) for 60 euros, but I'm not sure the price is right... Seller doesn't seem open to lower it down at all.

That seems very high unless it's dramatically increased in value lately.

Galdelico

That seems very high unless it's dramatically increased in value lately.
It bumped up a little, at least since the last time I cheked, but the seller turned out to be a very nice person (a collector, basically), so we ended up dealing around 50 shipped, which I guess isn't too bad. The game is mint, complete with spine and registration card, plus that other 'warning' little paper, and the latest sold auction for the game in the same conditions almost topped 70 euros without shipping.

I don't expect it to be a Bari-Arm, but I found myself having a huge soft spot for exclusive Mega-CD shooters, so... It was just a matter of time. :D

Shaneus

As for Taxman Sonic CD, I only own it on PSN and iOS but I imagine the PC port is just as good. I play the iOS version with a bluetooth controller anyway so it's fine.
It's great. I think it's basically the same as the other platforms, but it has a few different types of filtering over at least the iOS version.

His name is why I was so hyped when I saw that new Sonic trailer recently. Still pumped for it.

I beat the game...and I liked it. I can see why people don't like it and think it's the worst.
The controls are terrible and incredibly stiff probably thanks to the pre-rendered graphics, it's fortunate that you don't die from falling in pits because your jumping controls are horrible, some of your characters' animations are not good looking (that shuffling kick...), the enemies start out mostly as boring stuff like bats and rats, it's REALLY weird that the final boss's health bar is on screen for the whole game for no good reason given that you fight the guy once at the end and that's it, the video clips are somewhat hard to follow... is there anything at all good about Dracula for SCD other than the FMV backdrops? This game was one of the first SCD games I got after buying the system in 2006, and it made a very bad first impression which did not improve with time. With controls and gameplay as awful as Bram Stoker's Dracula's are, that positive doesn't mean much. What is there to like here? Can you explain?

The trick to the first level is you hardly ever need to move the cursor to shoot, the things fly right into your crosshair.
Helpful to know, but still, it is a definite issue with the game.

You just need to steer in the right directions.
"You just need to s teer in the right directions" -- and here you define the problem -- how am I always supposed to know what the right direction IS? I know you need to steer towards that tower, and a couple of times I've managed to get far enough for a FMV clip to play telling me that I'm going in the right direction, but beyond that, is there any better thing to do other than somewhat randomly make turns based on your guess about which one might curve towards that destination point? And as they do not always go the way you think due to the very complex track network, that's not always going to work.

The nice thing is after you beat a level you essentially have infinite continues to try level 2 then 3 etc. I'm still working on level 2.
Yes, that the game saves is great. Sewer Shark is probably better about hinting which way you're supposed to be going, but it has no saving, which is a pretty big problem too...

A map would have been very helpful.
Yes, very; it'd have made the game good, I'd say. As it is it's okay, but I'd like a version you have a chance at, and a map would do that. I really like it when games have maps, it makes them better.

IrishNinja

XjTpulS.jpg

excellent stuff! love the frames in the back, too. skipped on Vay but wish idve picked up Terminator before!

"You just need to steer in the right directions" -- and here you define the problem -- how am I always supposed to know what the right direction IS? I know you need to steer towards that tower, and a couple of times I've managed to get far enough for a FMV clip to play telling me that I'm going in the right direction, but beyond that, is there any better thing to do other than somewhat randomly make turns based on your guess about which one might curve towards that destination point? And as they do not always go the way you think due to the very complex track network, that's not always going to work.
There is a trick, the heading number you need to head towards never changes. There is a heading on the screen which goes from 0-360 degrees (or something of sorts) which you need to remember. When you are heading straight for the landmark of the level read your heading and just remember that number. That will always be the heading number you need to head towards. As you traverse the level if your heading is a lower number you need you need to go right and if it's higher you need to go left. You just always take whatever path keeps you closest to that original heading number. It will purposefully throw you off with incoming trains and road blocks but just remember what number you need to head towards.

I don't know why I took to Dracula, I mean I turned it off after about 15 minutes the first time I played it. I got used to the delayed controls and took an almost clinical approach to completing it and got way better at it than I would have believed.

excellent stuff! love the frames in the back, too. skipped on Vay but wish idve picked up Terminator before!
Thanks, those are the inserts from Data Discs Sega vinyl releases. I'm looking forward to adding more in the future. Golden Axe is coming with some right now.

Maou

Taking a Sonic CD-style timewarp down memory lane, on the topic of the Mega CD (and because otherwise I can never imagine getting to bring this up anywhere on the internet):

If you happened to be in the US for some part of the mid-nineties and happened to call customer support for Sega (they would give you free extenders to fit your Model 1 Mega Drive on a Model 2 MCD, you see), the music that played while you held the line was...Sonic CD's (US) Tidal Tempest Bad Future Mix. It's a pretty classy choice.

That is all!

Teknoman

Taking a Sonic CD-style timewarp down memory lane, on the topic of the Mega CD (and because otherwise I can never imagine getting to bring this up anywhere on the internet):

If you happened to be in the US for some part of the mid-nineties and happened to call customer support for Sega (they would give you free extenders to fit your Model 1 Mega Drive on a Model 2 MCD, you see), the music that played while you held the line was...Sonic CD's (US) Tidal Tempest Bad Future Mix. It's a pretty classy choice.

That is all!

That music actually works pretty nicely.

Wow really? Was totally unaware that there's a 90s PC port as well, I wonder how it played :lol

IIRC, all of the sound effects were sampled and played back as low quality WAVs or such, the water transparency effects in Tidal Tempest are missing unless you have a VERY SPECIFIC graphics card, and the past level chiptune soundtracks were sampled and pressed to Redbook audio as well, and all regions of the Win95 version had the North American Sonic CD soundtrack. Otherwise, it's pretty much a Sega CD game on a computer monitor given what passed for top of the line official Genesis emulation on Windows in the '90s.

From what I've heard, the version of the game included in Sonic Gems Collection for the GameCube is actually a port of the Win95 version, rather than the Sega CD version, so if you want to see and hear the differences, the Gems Collection is a way to do it without having to worry about OS EXE compatibilities.

I can't believe it but I actually beat Loadstar: The Legend of Tully Bodine. The first level is probably the hardest/least interesting. After you get through that one it isn't much...only three levels total.

I've started Midnight Raiders. This is a bad game. The helicopter stage isn't too bad because you get three lives but the ground combat is one life no matter what. Very frustrating because then you have to start all the way over if you die, even if it's your first death.

Top Bottom