• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Files Videogame Trademark For "Sonic Colors"

Wizpig

SonicMegaDrive said:
It's a fairly simple process.

2D gameplay - pretty good

3D gameplay - do not touch
Sonic will never "grow" as a series if they keep doing 2d games only, this is the problem with some fans' requests.

Let me explain better, even if it's a difficult concept... what I mean is that Sonic in 3d could be awesome. there.
In 2d, they pretty much already did what there is to do, the super-speed games and the more classic ones...

Every true SEGA fan loved Sonic Adventure, it was in 3d, it was Sonic, it was brand new... you can't say those games were shit.

I think SEGA follows the wrong fans.
They did Shadow the Hedgehog for the 8 years old (mistake 1), but now they are trying to kill Shadow with all these colorful "returning to roots" Sonic 2d games... (Unleashed, Sonic 4) and I'd say this is mistake 2.

They should do like Nintendo and do both full 2d and full 3d games -- with Sonic.
The 3d ones should be the high-budget ones.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
plagiarize said:
No it wasn't.

It was devised by the spelling reformist movement, which gained more traction in America than England.
.. Which was canonized in Webster's Dictionary which is the single document most American spellings can be traced to. Look it up in the British/American spelling differences wiki page.... THESE KIDS LIKE SHADOW THE HEDGEHOG WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK?!?!

Dubble said:
This is probably some sort of hybrid puzzle/platformer dealie. Maybe downloadable.

Nope, it's retail:

aekzee.jpg
2v9ett3.jpg

So basically it's the slightly-less awful part of Sonic Unleashed (that was still not very good) in full game form. Great.

remz said:
Boost Gauge. :|
Basically this.

EDIT: oh God, that Facebook post.

BocoDragon said:
.. Which was canonized in Webster's Dictionary which is the single document most American spellings can be traced to. Look it up in the British/American spelling differences wiki page.... THESE KIDS LIKE SHADOW THE HEDGEHOG WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK?!?!
You aren't going to move the goalposts on me and get away with it. You said Webster devised it. He didn't. I told you who did.

I am fully aware of the above, but I am a pedant and can't help myself sometimes.

There are spellings that Webster devised. Color is not one of them.

TreIII

Wizpig said:
Sonic will never "grow" as a series if they keep doing 2d games only, this is the problem with some fans' requests.

My problem? SegaSonic has yet to provide proof that they can do 2D or 3D competently yet. :lol

On the 3D avenue alone, they've had so many attempts to do as such, between the sequential 3D releases up to Sonic Unleashed. And what happens? Not much to showcase that they've learned much from their time working with 3D Sonic, as a number of the same issues that have plagued Sonic's 3D outings since Sonic Adventure still remain.

2D's not that much better off, even if we omit Sonic 4, and just focus on the final products that have been released thus far.

At this point, it doesn't matter that much if it's 2D or 3D: if Sega could just do more to focus on ONE THING, and do the damn thing with it, that be a start. The brand is stretched far too thinly for its own good, and they're more prone to trying out some other gimmick rather than fine tuning what they have in front of them.

farnham

Banned
TreIII said:
My problem? SegaSonic has yet to provide proof that they can do 2D or 3D competently yet. :lol

On the 3D avenue alone, they've had so many attempts to do as such, between the sequential 3D releases up to Sonic Unleashed. And what happens? Not much to showcase that they've learned much from their time working with 3D Sonic, as a number of the same issues that have plagued Sonic's 3D outings since Sonic Adventure still remain.

2D's not that much better off, even if we omit Sonic 4, and just focus on the final products that have been released thus far.

At this point, it doesn't matter that much if it's 2D or 3D: if Sega could just do more to focus on ONE THING, and do the damn thing with it, that be a start. The brand is stretched far too thinly for its own good, and they're more prone to trying out some other gimmick rather than fine tuning what they have in front of them.
wat

segas 2D outings have been pretty solid

sonic advance 1 through 3 are good games and sonic rush as well as Sonic rush adventures were actually great games..

I would say sonic 2D has been in another category in terms of quality similar to castlevania 2D compared to 3D

TreIII

farnham said:
wat

segas 2D outings have been pretty solid

sonic advance 1 through 3 are good games and sonic rush as well as Sonic rush adventures were actually great games..

I would say sonic 2D has been in another category in terms of quality similar to castlevania 2D compared to 3D

Perhaps you've been playing different 2D Sonic games from me then.

I mean, I dunno! Maybe there's a sort of sublime value to games that have mediocre level designs, not to mention having entire levels hovering over perpetually bottomless pits, among other things. :lol

The best thing about the 16-bit era games was that solid level design that was just as conducive for exploration as much as trying to find the "quickest route". NONE of Dimps' efforts, from Sonic Pocket Adventure on up, have been able to mimic that.

.la1n

farnham said:
dude if you had that game in the megadrive era it would have sold millions i tell you

MILLIONS!

you know what this is way off topic but the little mermaid game from (I believe) the megadrive era was actually quite good best I remember. Perhaps it was NES.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Trailer looks great and PR also sounds promising. I'm happy about that announcement.

farnham

Banned
.la1n said:
you know what this is way off topic but the little mermaid game from (I believe) the megadrive era was actually quite good best I remember. Perhaps it was NES.
it was megadrive

Genesis-ArielMermaid-B.jpg

dunno bout the games quality but there were a lot of great disney games on the genesis (quack shot, castle of illusion, aladdin)

farnham

Banned
TreIII said:
Perhaps you've been playing different 2D Sonic games from me then.

I mean, I dunno! Maybe there's a sort of sublime value to games that have mediocre level designs, not to mention having entire levels hovering over perpetually bottomless pits, among other things. :lol

The best thing about the 16-bit era games was that solid level design that was just as conducive for exploration as much as trying to find the "quickest route". NONE of Dimps' efforts, from Sonic Pocket Adventure on up, have been able to mimic that.
i wouldnt say that Sonic Advance or Rush are up to the Megadrive games

but they are a LOT better then the 3d outings

Takao

Banned
I was hoping we were finally going to get our open world Sonic turf wars game made. Sonic looking all urban with his gold chains and shit...

Lijik

I think we should forever refer to Sonic 2006 as "The Fresh One"
Don't even call it Sonic.
"I was watching that LP of The Fresh One and I totally forgot how absolutely terrible it was"

Akihabara said:
newsoniccycle.jpg

I'm sorry but I had to.

You can't complain about the crappy games you don't buy, but if you buy the crappy games in the first place and say they're bad later, obviously you're a hypocrite.

I like the old sonic cycle better.

Seeing the pic in the OP, and reading what the game is about, it almost sounds like a modified remake of Sonic 1.

I'm not stupid eough to expect something like that, but the description and pic lend me to 'think' that.

OnPoint

farnham said:
it was megadrive

http://www.gamersace.com/images/Genesis-ArielMermaid-B.jpg/IMG]

dunno bout the games quality but there were a lot of great disney games on the genesis (quack shot, castle of illusion, aladdin)[/QUOTE]

He may have been talking about the NES one by Capcom, which was really fun.

2 Minutes Turkish said:
Seeing the pic in the OP, and reading what the game is about, it almost sounds like a modified remake of Sonic 1.

I'm not stupid eough to expect something like that, but the description and pic lend me to 'think' that.

It's already too late for you.

Vizion28

Banned
I'm surprised there hasn't been a post complaining about Sonic Colors being exclusive for the Wii and DS. Have all the Gaf whiners been banned?

ILikeFeet

Banned
shit. well, I guess I'm in the optimistic camp. the only thing I should be looking forward to is good music. dispite what people say, I still like Endless Possibilities

also, as long as it's like the Daytime levels in Unleashed (HD ones) then I'll bite. at $30.

Lijik

ILikeFeet said:
shit. well, I guess I'm in the optimistic camp. the only thing I should be looking forward to is good music. dispite what people say, I still like Endless Possibilities

also, as long as it's like the Daytime levels in Unleashed (HD ones) then I'll bite. at $30.
This is the camp I'm in but with $20.
More than anything I'm looking forward to the Pokecapn and Crew lets play if one happens.

Sadist

Vizion28 said:
I'm surprised there hasn't been a post complaining about Sonic Colors being exclusive for the Wii and DS. Have all the Gaf whiners been banned?
People whining about a Sonic game not coming to other consoles?

:lol

If this game wouldn't be made by Sonic Team but an actual good team, people would have cared. GAF has become pretty indifferent towards Sonic Team so... yeah. Well, except for Segata who enjoyed NiGHTS Wii. But that about wraps it up.

Edit: that Shadow opening scene is horrible though :lol

Top Bottom