• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Files Videogame Trademark For "Sonic Colors"

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I don't find it bad necceassarily, that they are aiming the game at kids, as long as it doesn't affect the degree of difficulty. If Sonic Heroes and Sonic and the Secret Rings were aimed at kids, too, I'm absolutely OK with that direction. I just don't want to play a pile of crap a la Sonic the Hedgehog, Shadow the Hedgehog or Sonic and the Black Knight again.

Costanza

Banned
nnpkpz.gif

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
ShockingAlberto said:
It's funny because for all the moaning of ripping off Galaxy, that would have been the best thing it could do.

I agree. The setting and spherical worlds/gravity/perspective shifts is the right direction for platformers. The only problem is the standard platforming in 3D hasnt been good to Sonic, but then again maybe Sonic could use the extra freedom.

Momentum based platforming might be an interesting choice for some levels in the next 3D mario, come to think.

Even though I prefer Unleashed's free movement over Secret Ring's on-rails movement, I have to say, if they go back to SR-style (automatic movement with tilt steering), then that could be for the better.

Why?

If it's indeed the Storybook team (whether Tristan is speaking out of his ass or not, it wasn't hard to figure Colors is by them), then they know how that works already, so a proper second shot at the gameplay would allow them to proper refine it instead of changing it everytime.

I also hope we see the traditional items again, even if we just see rings again this time (Chao Fairies instead of rings? U MAD?), but dash panels and whatnot would be a bonus.

So hopefully the Wisps are just the new powers, not replacements. Now I love Chao as much as the next guy, but replacing the rings with a fairy version was just bullshit of the highest caliber.

And I can see the Wi-Fi being for leaderboards, you really can't have a game where you're focused on getting the best times and/or the best score without leaderboards for added replay value. It's not a make or break deal, but it most certainly helps.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Dedication Through Light said:
That would make for the 4th Sonic game this year (Im with you on hoping theres an HD game).

Sonic and Sega AllStars Racing, Sonic 4, Sonic Colors, and Sonic HD (Hopefully!)

Hopefully? :lol :lol :lol

ever since they announced this stupid game i can't stop thinking of the stupid refrain from that stupid song except with "colors" instead of "heroes"

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
HK-47 said:
I agree. The setting and spherical worlds/gravity/perspective shifts is the right direction for platformers. The only problem is the standard platforming in 3D hasnt been good to Sonic, but then again maybe Sonic could use the extra freedom.

Momentum based platforming might be an interesting choice for some levels in the next 3D mario, come to think.

Dash Pepper Yoshi made me think of Sonic. :lol The slide, too.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
EmCeeGramr said:
ever since they announced this stupid game i can't stop thinking of the stupid refrain from that stupid song except with "colors" instead of "heroes"

All hail Shadow!
Colors rise again!
Obliterating everything that's not your friend!
Nothing can stop you now,
No ghost to bring you down!
When there's nothing left to lose, you win!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
EmCeeGramr said:
see i'm almost alright with that song because the second it comes up all i can think of is the hilarious 2006 lp glitch videos

:lol Same here. All Fail Shadow indeed.

RobbieNick

From The "Find the Computer Room" forums, someone has the mag, but not scans.

Thanks to my awesomeness I have read the issue of Nintendo Power featuring the game:

The game looks pretty nice, think of it as a prettier looking version of the Wii version of Unleashed, the two zones that were featured were Sweet Mountain zone, and Tropical Reservoir zone, and the former is a mountain of pastries, the said they wanted to include the crazy level designs from the old games, which is fine by me. It also said that in the 3D sections it will focus more on running from A-B akin to the Daytime stages of Unleashed, while the 2D sections will be more for platforming.

The DS version, can easily be called Sonic Rush 3, it looks exactly like those games, even the tension gauge is there, they said it would be similar to the Wii version.

Tails appears in the story but Sonic will be the only playable, they said the story is simple, light, and goofy, which is fine by me. Knuckles, and Shadow may also make an appearance in the game.

If someone has scans, please show them, because seeing it, is better than me explaining it.

Damn, that.....actually sounds like fun!!

Stage 1 of Sonic Cycle confirmed.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
RobbieNick said:

But will it be Sonic Galaxy?

I'd totally get that, if only to see how bad Sonic Team can screw that concept up.

wRATH2x

Banned
RobbieNick said:

That sounds like shit actually.

karasu said:
Sega, would you please give up on the Sonic shit? Nobody cares!
SEGA will give up when people stop buying. It looked like people had smartened up with Sonic 2006 and Black Knight, but then Unleashed came out and sold multi-millions so we're right back where we were.

Segata Sanshiro said:
SEGA will give up when people stop buying. It looked like people had smartened up with Sonic 2006 and Black Knight, but then Unleashed came out and sold multi-millions so we're right back where we were.
To be fair, Black Knight came out after Unleashed.

I dunno, so this is basically an entire game in the mold of Unleashed day levels? Should be decent.

Will probably be better than whatever shit the main team has planned for the 20th anniversary.

Rlan

RobbieNick said:
The DS version, can easily be called Sonic Rush 3, it looks exactly like those games, even the tension gauge is there, they said it would be similar to the Wii version.

Great news then.

Though I'm more interested in how the music ends up going now. Will we get Jun Senoue AND Hideki Naganuma (or com-padre Teruhiko Nakagawa) or will we only get one?

Sonic Rush Adventure gets a bit of flack for not having music by Naganuma himself, but it's still really good. Plant Kingdom, Coral Cave, Special Stage, and the Island Theme are all fantastic work.

Rlan said:
Great news then.

Though I'm more interested in how the music ends up going now. Will we get Jun Senoue AND Hideki Naganuma (or com-padre Teruhiko Nakagawa) or will we only get one?

Sonic Rush Adventure gets a bit of flack for not having music by Naganuma himself, but it's still really good. Plant Kingdom, Coral Cave, Special Stage, and the Island Theme are all fantastic work.
I hope we get Hideki again. I still blast Sonic Rush 1 music lol, "What U Need" lol.

Crush 40 better be doing the theme to the wii version (abd other vocal tracks)

Sciz

Rlan said:
Great news then.

Nakagawa was the sound director for SRA, but the actual music was by Ohtani, Nanba, and Okamoto. Senoue is presumably still busy with Sonic 4 and Ohtani is probably assigned to whatever the Unleashed team is working on. My best guess is that Nanba is working with Ohtani and they have Kumatani and Tokoi working on Colors.

jman2050

Wii version can be whatever for all I care, if the DS version is Sonic Rush 3 then I'm good to go!

We may have one enjoyable 2D Sonic game this year after all.

Sciz said:
Nakagawa was the sound director for SRA, but the actual music was by Ohtani, Nanba, and Okamoto. Senoue is presumably still busy with Sonic 4 and Ohtani is probably assigned to whatever the Unleashed team is working on. My best guess is that Nanba is working with Ohtani and they have Kumatani and Tokoi working on Colors.

Damn fine with me, they were the primary Adventure series composers after Senoue if I recall. I heard Ohtani did all of Knuckles stages in SA2 though.

Oh, and Tokoi's remix of the Egg Golem theme as How It Started in SR was awesome!

nico

Banned
Didn't sonic unleashed bomb on everything except the wii, why would the main sonic team be working on the hd systems? :lol Not the sega has a history of smart business decisions or anything.... still I liked unleashed 360 quite a bit so hope you people are correct. And this game sounds alright too. Although its name sounding like sonic heroes can't be a good omen.

Sciz

Hero of Legend said:
Damn fine with me, they were the primary Adventure series composers after Senoue if I recall.
Yep. Unlike Senoue, their SA1 mojo wasn't a fluke and they've been a big part of Sonic Team's musical backbone ever since.

Hero of Legend said:
I heard Ohtani did all of Knuckles stages in SA2 though.
Ok, yes, but he didn't have anything to do with the lyrics. Don't hold it against him. D:

Hero of Legend said:
Oh, and Tokoi's remix of the Egg Golem theme as How It Started in SR was awesome!
That's just you hearing things.

nico said:
Didn't sonic unleashed bomb on everything except the wii, why would the main sonic team be working on the hd systems? :lol Not the sega has a history of smart business decisions or anything.... still I liked unleashed 360 quite a bit so hope you people are correct. And this game sounds alright too. Although its name sounding like sonic heroes can't be a good omen.
There're two assumptions at play here.

1. The Unleashed team's activities are currently unaccounted for, and Sega isn't quite daft enough to push out two Wii games in the series back-to-back.

2. Every developer and PR interview of the last couple years suggests that Sega finally realized that their reputation is tied directly to Sonic's reputation. Consequently, they've developed a stubborn streak that's willing to burn time and money on making him at least as respectable as any other major franchise again, and that means competing with them on the cutting edge of technology.

Top Bottom