• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Files Videogame Trademark For "Sonic Colors"

nico said:
Didn't sonic unleashed bomb on everything except the wii, why would the main sonic team be working on the hd systems? :lol Not the sega has a history of smart business decisions or anything.... still I liked unleashed 360 quite a bit so hope you people are correct. And this game sounds alright too. Although its name sounding like sonic heroes can't be a good omen.

I don't think real sales statistics were ever released on a platform-by-platform breakdown.

bigosc2k

Banned
Dude Sega will once again disappoint you with another shitty Sonic game, how many times will people say that a Sonic game has gone back to its root only to disappoint the fans

Celine

Celine said:
Sonic Unleashed - 113k (360), 69k (PS3), 315k (Wii)

NPD leak
Also in UK Wii version sold more than 200K, 360 more than 100K but less tha 200K and PS3 versione less than 100K.

Zen

Banned
Celine said:
Sonic Unleashed - 113k (360), 69k (PS3), 315k (Wii)

NPD leak

The last official numbers we got were that by March 09, the game had sold a combined 2.45 million copies. I've heard that it crossed 3 million, but we have no sales data to back that up.

http://www.tssznews.com/2009/05/18/sonic-unleashed-segas-3rd-best-seller/

(I know you weren't asking for combined WW sales, but I always like to point out that Unleashed sold well. :lol)

Celine

Zen said:
(I know you weren't asking for combined WW sales, but I always like to point out that Unleashed sold well. :lol)
Despite being critically panned, Sonic games sell quite well ( especially on Nintendo platforms ).

Celine said:
Despite being critically panned, Sonic games sell quite well ( especially on Nintendo platforms ).
You'd be surprised how low peoples' standards are outside of the internet.

Unleashed was at least competently designed relative to the rest of the series. On the PS2 version, I only fell through the floor once.

RobbieNick

I'm starting to her word that what that guy from the other forum said may just be a load of B.S. I guess we'll know for sure when the next issue of Nintendo Power comes out.

EDIT: Looks like the rumor was true!!

Nuts can't link without being banned. Basically the find the computer room has scans very small and blurry, but they do show off a donut/sweets world and the DS version looking VERY Sonic Rush.

RobbieNick

Also from Shadowthehedgehog at findthecomputerroom.....

Seeing how I backed up what I said, you guys will believe me when I say:

1. Sonic get's a rocket power up that lets him propel himself in any direction, in the DS version only. Sounds like the power up he had on the Game Gear.

2. The DS, and Wii versions will have exclusive bosses for the respective system.

3. And the total number of Wisp may be 7-8.

That's all I got.

Interesting. Also, Sonic model looks to be the one from Unleashed. Not 100% sure.

Lijik

RobbieNick said:
Also, Sonic model looks to be the one from Unleashed. Not 100% sure.

I saw Hero of Legend saying the same thing. How can you guys tell with those tiny thumbnail "scans" without pulling Huelen levels of picture-investigation.

Lijik said:
I saw Hero of Legend saying the same thing. How can you guys tell with those tiny thumbnail "scans" without pulling Huelen levels of picture-investigation.

It's not hard, as I've played Unleashed Wii (beaten the story actually) it's easy for me to tell it's the Unleashed Wii model.

Of course, maybe there are decent differences that will be noticeable when we see the clear shots, but it screams Unleashed Wii model to me.

Brannon

Sonic in space.

Okay maybe they're taking some influences from Mario Galaxy, but it really works for Mario since that was the first time he was in space in 3D. Sonic, on the other hand, has always been in space since Sonic 2 for the Genesis. This won't be new territory for Sonic, so what are they really planning?

Lijik

Hero of Legend said:
It's not hard, as I've played Unleashed Wii (beaten the story actually) it's easy for me to tell it's the Unleashed Wii model.

Of course, maybe there are decent differences that will be noticeable when we see the clear shots, but it screams Unleashed Wii model to me.

Nevermind, I somehow missed that one shot where you get a relatively clear look at him.

Zen

Banned
So is the 'Unleashed' team working on Sonic Colors or is it just the storybook team? With Sonic 4, and now Sonic Colors coming out, I don't think that we'll be seeing Unleashed 2 this year.

But seriously, if the Unleashed team is also working on Colors it would be a startling bit of common sense from Sega, giving their biggest Sonic fanbase a serious effort and all that.

Wow... maybe the trailers will convince me otherwise, but other than "CRAZY FOOD LEVELS," that's Sonic Unleashed for Wii and Sonic Rush for DS. These don't look like new games, they look like level packs.

TheOGB

Banned
Well, to be honest, I'm still kind of interested despite this being a game for the younger folk.

But I guess that's what I get for being a Sonic fan.

Lijik

Kulock said:
Wow... maybe the trailers will convince me otherwise, but other than "CRAZY FOOD LEVELS," that's Sonic Unleashed for Wii and Sonic Rush for DS. These don't look like new games, they look like level packs.
Would you say "Sonic Unleashed 1.5"?

Zen said:
So is the 'Unleashed' team working on Sonic Colors or is it just the storybook team? With Sonic 4, and now Sonic Colors coming out, I don't think that we'll be seeing Unleashed 2 this year.

But seriously, if the Unleashed team is also working on Colors it would be a startling bit of common sense from Sega, giving their biggest Sonic fanbase a serious effort and all that.

Do they let the US team even touch Sonic games (or even a western developer)? Maybe it needs that sort of change.

Though they have to be working on something for the HD consoles. (which team is working on Sonic 4?!)

Lijik said:
Would you say "Sonic Unleashed 1.5"?

No.

I would say, "Oh, someone found some unfinished levels on the Unleashed disc."

Like I said, there's a good chance the trailers at E3 will change my mind. Maybe the Wisp integration is enough, but they're definitely making this one a bit on the cheap.

Kulock said:
No.

Like I said, there's a good chance the trailers at E3 will change my mind. Maybe the Wisp integration is enough, but they're definitely making this one a bit on the cheap.

Even if it seems like Unleashed 1.5, it's better than anything since Heroes; none of the stuff that's utter crap gameplay or concept-wise, like guns, vehicles, Werehog, and swords.

Basically the safest route possible but it's a good one.

ShadiWulf

Dedication Through Light said:
Do they let the US team even touch Sonic games (or even a western developer)? Maybe it needs that sort of change.

Though they have to be working on something for the HD consoles. (which team is working on Sonic 4?!)
Dimps is working on Sonic 4.

Suzuki Yu

i saw the scans !!

man does this game looks really good ! even with those blurry images i can see the beauty of this game ! also levels design seems really crazy looking !

as for Unleashed team , i really doubt if they have anything to do with this game .
they are absolutely have something under development for the 20th Anniversary next year . and if they started working on that after they were done from the development of Unleashed ( most likely ) then the project goes into 3 years of development , which is a really long time considering the skills they gained from working with their new Engine in their previous work .

EDIT : but again i have to say that Sonic Team now days is one ( single R&D studio ) . whether they are still working within separate groups ( inside the studio ) or not remain unknown

Sonic Unleashed 2 is absolutely fine with me.

Especially seeing as how this looks more like the 360 version than the Wii version, mechanics-wise (point-based score, unsegmented boost gauge, rail switching).

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Kulock said:
No.

Unleashed 0.5 would have ended up being better than what they actually released.

Aaron Strife said:
Sonic Unleashed 2 is absolutely fine with me.

Especially seeing as how this looks more like the 360 version than the Wii version, mechanics-wise (point-based score, unsegmented boost gauge, rail switching).

Ah, didn't notice the first two. But rail-switching was actually in the final bits of the game in Unleashed Wii although briefly, I'll just leave it at that. :p

Every time I scroll past this thread and see "Sonic Colors," I find myself wishing for a Shadow the Hedgehog and Colors (unreleased Gizmondo GTA clone) mash-up.

You know... just to see if Sega would actually do it. Just to see how much further the franchise could fall.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Looks really great, DS version seems to be Sonic Rush 3, which is awesome, and Wii version looks like just Sonic level in Unleashed 360's style. So chances are we're getting two great Sonic games here :).

Resilient

More Sonic Rush is fine by me, and the Wii version looks fairly nice from the blurry scans. If this is Unleashed without a Werehog gimmick, it could turn out pretty nicely.

RobbieNick

Buh-Bye!!:D

I upscaled the scans to get a better look at them/
Few things new I noticed....

A.) If you can make out the text, it looks like it says that red color energy turns Sonic into a fireball that can ignite rockets.

B.) Those tricky rockets from Sonic Rush are back in the DS version! :mad:

3.) Can't be sure, but the DS model may be a new one.

Zen

Banned
I wish that said Nintendo Power preview was more informative. We don't really know much aside from 'Sonic Colors! here are some screens!'.

Hero of Legend said:
Ah, didn't notice the first two. But rail-switching was actually in the final bits of the game in Unleashed Wii although briefly, I'll just leave it at that. :p
Well, it's in the Perfect Dark Gaia fight. But that's only because the level design was borrowed from the 360 version.

It was amusing seeing the "R2" pop up (PS2 version) for the first time when rail switching was such a prominent part of the 360 version. It was in the second level.

Some of the enemies in the DS version look like they were cut and pasted with no modification directly from the first Sonic Rush.

That seems sort of lazy...

RobbieNick

It does seem like they are recycling old models and material to make this game. The Wii version is Sonic Unleashed without the Werehog, while the DS version is Sonic Rush 3.

Suzuki Yu

RobbieNick said:
It does seem like they are recycling old models and material to make this game. The Wii version is Sonic Unleashed without the Werehog, while the DS version is Sonic Rush 3.

seems that way but with the inclusion of the colors power-ups + the unique level design ....

also i noticed that the gauge in this game used depends on the power-up you are holding ?

Well they sorta did the same between SR and BK, they reused Sonic's model and just gave it better lighting and new level designs, new enemies, and whatnot.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I'm of the opinion it's a good thing that they reuse what worked and drop what didn't work. That's the way to go to improve the franchise as the major problem so far was, that they did a whole bunch of things well on most Sonic games, but also made a bunch of mistakes. Instead of trying to refine this, they always just dropped everything and took a new route. That's not a good way to repair the series' image.

Blueblur1

I expect the Wii game to be better than that storybook crap but on par with the Wii version of Unleashed. In other words, it's not going to be great. Smh

Dubble

I dunno. I'm of the opinion that if the Sonic-only stages were refined and the werehog was completely taken out, Sonic Unleashed would have been a heck of a lot more bearable to play. Sonic Colors seems to be doing that with the attempt of making the Whisps act as your powerups (no different that flame shields, water shields, lightning shields with extra movesets maybe?), so I'm all for it *IF* it's tight and the whisps are actual powerups and not game breaking or style changing gimmickry.

As for Colors DS, I loved Rush Adventure and was ambivalent at best towards Rush so all they have to do is improve on that a bit without changing and they've got me sold. I don't care if its not "dark" or h"as an engaging storyline" or is for the younger set. Sonic works best when its simpler and not bogged down with shitty friends with shitty gameplay and is bright and colorful anyway.

Looks more interesting than Sonic 2 HD AKA Sonic 4 anyway...

Wizpig said:
Wii version is looking nice, DS version is Rush 3 ... probably without the awesome Rush-style music :( meh.

Rush Adventure had some pretty nice music, I thought.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReH-HzwUeoU&fmt=18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvrz26HklcY&fmt=18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29MGUXDfsaw&fmt=18

You can say it wasn't "as good" as the original Sonic Rush's music, but I think that's doing a disservice to it. Sonic Rush's soundtrack was "Jet Set Radio Lite", Sonic Rush Adventure's was much more along the lines of what you'd hear in something like Sonic CD, I felt.

Top Bottom