• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Forever: The nostalgia trip that could change the company's future

I don't understand.

When will Sega finally come to terms that altered beast is a bad game. A very bad game that is only popular because it was a pack in.

Who plays/enjoys that shit?

Around the same time Nintendo stops trying to sell people Urban Champion.

EDIT: Whoah, two Urban Champion references in a row

Piers

Around the same time Nintendo stops trying to sell people Urban Champion.

EDIT: Whoah, two Urban Champion references in a row
It's odd I get something out of the game, but it's probably because I find the 2D fighting a lot more engaging than isometric beat em ups like Golden Axe -- where so much of it is just mashing attack (with a bit of spacing) that my brain turns to mush.

Shaneus

Retrying the Restore Purchase thing for Sonic 1 on my wifi iPad mini, and it's timing out. Yes, it's connected to the internet.

Closing and reopening doesn't give me an option to restore purchases, it just bombards me with ads.

Disabling wifi gets me to the Sega splash screen, with a "Please connect to the internet to continue" error (and only a Retry button).

Maybe the previous instance on my SE wasn't authorising and that's why it was internet restricted (even though I thought it *did* restore my purchase) but I doubt it, I suspect it's more just a clusterfuck.

bman94

Just played through Green Hill Zone on Sonic 1...it's surprisingly damn good. Full 16X9 screen size, excellent image quality, pretty responsive controls, no stuttering or performance issues. I have playing on a iPad Pro to be fair but really excellent so far. I like Sega.

Shaneus

Just played through Green Hill Zone on Sonic 1...it's surprisingly damn good. Full 16X9 screen size, excellent image quality, pretty responsive controls, no stuttering or performance issues. I have playing on a iPad Pro to be fair but really excellent so far. I like Sega.
It's been like that for years, this isn't a new release. It's just a repackage with ads woven through it.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I'm never updating my paid copy of Sonic 2 on Android if I can help it when the time comes. There's no reason to bloat its size with Unity shit and get just leaderboards in return.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Pay like 4 dweebs to make an actual working Saturn emulator, and it'll be well worth your while. Just a couple dorks in a basement for like a year or two isn't gonna break the bank. You'll make your money back in spades just fucking dumping a new ROM onto Steam every month. Don't be a littler twerp, Sega.

Toparaman

Banned
Well I sure ain't gonna complain about free.

Would be nice to have a SEGA-produced "Genesis Classic" with accurate emulation, unlike the 3rd-party versions already available.

Intel_89

Tried all of the first batch, none of them were spot o emulations on my iPhone 7. Even the Christian Whitehead Sonic 1 has some weird stuttering from time to time.

This is still leagues better than anything capcom has put out on mobile though.

ICO_SotC

I re-tried Phantasy Star 2 a bit later (disabling all the extra permissions except storage) and uh... yeah. It's bad. There are slowdowns everywhere that shouldn't be there. The audio is significantly off, and has a nasty static in the background of almost every track. The virtual D-Pad is an unwieldy mess that has difficulty with left and right.

Just played it, and yes to all of this.

The fact that even walking in the right direction is a chore is just unforgivable.

CJY

Banned
:thinking:

Do the 8BitDo controllers bluetooth work on iOS?

I been trying to get them to pair for the last 10 minutes, but failing. Seems like they removed that functionality with the 4.0 FW. shame. I definitely remember they spoofed the iCade to connect.

CJY

Banned
nkKnPI8.jpg

Ouch.

God, Dark1X... stop being ridiculous. Sonic 1 runs fine. Could you be any more melodramatic... Christ.

Shaneus

Will the old games still work if I just don't update them or whatever. Would love having the Taxman versions nuked for this ad shit.
Yup, they will absolutely work fine. I don't think there are any new features with this Sega Forever stuff that you miss out on by not updating, except the bloat (and ad crap).

Tried this out on my iPad 2 and my Shield Portable and boy, is this a piss-poor emulator. Comix Zone and Kid Chameleon struggle to hit 30 frames a second on the iPad (the versions on my Shield seem to be locked at 30), and the audio is just as choppy as the video because of it. I know the iPad 2 is getting pretty old, but homebrew emulators run these same games perfectly. The samples sound off in Comix Zone (voices are a pitch too low and Track 5 in the jukebox sounds like total shit, a telltale sign of lousy sound emulation), and the iPad touch controls are fucked to the point that it only takes one input at a time (meaning that if you're holding right on the d-pad and hit jump, you'll stop moving and do a standing jump). There are absolutely zero options for turning the blurry ass filter off, adjusting the viewport size so your thumbs aren't in the way, or anything else. And to top it off, Sonic 1 just crashes on boot for me now.

God, Dark1X... stop being ridiculous. Sonic 1 runs fine. Could you be any more melodramatic... Christ.

Sonic 1 runs fine because it's not being emulated. The rest of the games are a total shitshow.

Metalgus

Banned
Yeah, turns out Comix Zone runs pretty badly on my iPhone 6. The only games I ever play are the free Ketchapp stuff so I don't know if this is my phone's fault or Comix Zone's emulation.

Paz

Yeah I know right, expecting half decent quality ports of 22 year old games by a company that specializes in game development and made the original games, what a melodramatic perfectionist.

He clarified Sonic 1 is fine btw, because it's just a port of an old port done by someone who gave a shit.

Reflect on your bad opinion.

Shaneus

He clarified Sonic 1 is fine btw, because it's just a port of an old port done by someone who gave a shit.
It still *runs* fine, but I think a few people (including myself) are having issues with the ad-based stuff running underneath. Luckily I was able to downgrade to the older version, now I'm fine :)

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Are Sonic CD and Crazy Taxi a part of this? They were free so I grabbed them, but the downside are the ads.

StereoVsn

Yeah I know right, expecting half decent quality ports of 22 year old games by a company that specializes in game development and made the original games, what a melodramatic perfectionist.

Reflect on your bad opinion.

Even Sonic 1 is not fine though. It has enforced Internet connection now and it still doesn't recognize previous purchases of it.

Shaneus

Are Sonic CD and Crazy Taxi a part of this? They were free so I grabbed them, but the downside are the ads.
I think they will be, but not officially. I think officially, there are the 5 (they're mentioned earlier), I'm sure Crazy Taxi and Sonic CD will be "added" as part of Sega's monthly update thing.

Jimrpg

I think they messed up here - though its not too late to fix.

They should have released the one app - Sega Forever with the games inside it rather than seperate games all over the App store. Then people can regularly check back into Sega Forever to download new titles as they choose.

Right now - if they plan on releasing lots of Sega games, I don't want to have to scroll through 100 apps in the app store everytime.

Spaghetti

What if Shenmue HD collection was for this Sega Forever thing? NOOOOOOOOO
It won't be.

It fucking better not be, anyway.

If SEGA comes to the conclusion that several years of #SaveShenmue and #SaveShenmueHD campaigning from fans is to do a dodgy Unity port for mobile, then they're actually dead to me.

I think they messed up here - though its not too late to fix.

They should have released the one app - Sega Forever with the games inside it rather than seperate games all over the App store. Then people can regularly check back into Sega Forever to download new titles as they choose.

Right now - if they plan on releasing lots of Sega games, I don't want to have to scroll through 100 apps in the app store everytime.
Yeah, I originally thought it was going to be a hub app to download, so before reading into it, I searched for it on the Play store and came up empty

Varshes

These are straight up trash. Just awful. That clanging sound in PSII town music, it's like they are taking a giant shit on my childhood.

Jimrpg

Yeah, I originally thought it was going to be a hub app to download, so before reading into it, I searched for it on the Play store and came up empty

Yes a hub would be great with master system, genesis, arcade, dreamcast, saturn sections all neatly organised. You could even have a news section, community and stuff inside the one app.

Jimrpg

Also I know this is not a Sega thing, but there is something i don't like about on screen controls and having my fingers cover the screen. This has obviously been an issue for mobile gaming all this time. Anyone else feel the same way? Another reason physical controls are a must not only for the tactile feel but also seeing all the action.

So I downloaded two of these games to my Samsung Phone... Sonic The Hedgehog 1 and Kid Chameleon.

So yeah, Kid Chameleon doesn't run particularly smooth on my phone. I do have a Samsung Galaxy Core LTE from 2015, so it is an older phone. But yeah, the game stutters for me a bit and doesn't give a smooth frame rate.

Sonic 1 on the other hand is the Taxman port. This is actually a great port and totally worth the free download with ad supports. I was expecting this one to be the Genesis ROM in an emulator, but it is the superior taxman version.

Though, shame that this version ruins the one that people already own. Ah, terrible!

Ah Shit, I guess I better back up that version of Sonic 2 I have before Sega moves that one over to the ad supported model as well...

Shaneus

How can I downgrade an app? I refuse to pay again for Sonic 1.
If you'd already bought an older version, then (technically) the "restore purchase" should work. I don't think it does, though.

The only way you can roll back versions is if you're jailbroken (assuming you're talking iOS), or somehow you have a backed up version of the app via iTunes.

IrishNinja

good on sega - they killed it last gen, and they're doing really dope stuff this year too. Yakuza 0 is a strong candidate for GOTY in a busy year, and i can't wait on Kiwami or Sonic Mania. glad to see them making a valid effort on this front, hope they eat well

we've literally known this was a mobile initiative since the day it was announced so if you couldn't be assed to read about sega forever how disappointed could you possibly be?

all these threads have drive-by WHY DON"T THEY STILL DO THINGS I DIDN"T BUY NEARLY 20 YEARS AGO posts, pay them no mind

Top Bottom