• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Forever: The nostalgia trip that could change the company's future

God, Dark1X... stop being ridiculous. Sonic 1 runs fine. Could you be any more melodramatic... Christ.
God, CJY, stop making excuses for Sega fucking up games we paid for.

We can't restore our Sonic 1 purchases and are subjected to ads, although that port is still good. All of the other games run like complete ass and Sega should be ashamed. Phantasy Star II used to run fine for me.

Rlan

They've definitely started off on the wrong foot the performance issues on the emulated games and Sonic 1's issues with restoring purchases, but they've been pretty good with sorting stuff like that out - Sonic CD had the same free issues, and they fixed it within days.

The emulation is a bigger problem, but if they're going to keep this going they're gonna have to sort that stuff out.The Unity wrapper shouldn't be the problem - if anything, the Unity wrapper is so that they DON'T have the same issues as the early 2010's mobile versions which just couldn't be updated anymore. Unity's framework makes that a far easier thing to manage.

ffvorax

Fantastic idea!
I already downloaded on my Oneplus 3T all the games available.
I loved Altered Beast and Comix Zone, and they play fine even with touch controls... pad would be best, but still for just a hit&go play it's so good to have them for free! (and I see there is pad support so it is just a matter to buy one)

Curious to try Phantasy Star 2, I don't actually know what to expect... lol

They play without problems on my device.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
They better fix the "restore purchase" option on Sonic 1 or I will be pissed. Even if it works later, I think they fucked up a really good app with extra load time and choppier menus.

Between this update and the impending iOS11 not playing 32-bit titles, I feel like my iOS game collection is getting nuked by updates :( I hate it.

I'm almost envious of people who had an iPhone 5 from 2012 - that's not going to get iOS 11, so people still hanging onto theirs will probably upgrade this year to a new phone, leaving their old phone "stuck in time" with old games etc on it.

If you're on a new iPhone it makes little sense not to keep upgrading considering how iOS upgrades scale down to older hardware very well as the older hardware gets more capable (the iPhone 5s is still a very speedy phone today), and it's the only way to keep receiving security updates that patch vulnerabilities in the OS.

gelf

Given the reports of terrible performance I'm not even going to try playing these on my aging android devices. They better fix the issue for preexisting owners of Sonic 1 like myself.

Seriously Sega, test your shit before you go all out marketing it as a revelation.

Crying shame this. The marketing campaign was excellent echoing the confident awesomeness of nineties era Sega but they've completely fucked up the debut of this. First impressions are everything so I'm worried the service might be doomed now. Sega really should have cut a deal with the Retroarch guys and got a decent emulator. It's like they poured all their budget in to marketing and totally cheaped out on the actual production. Maybe a quick fix to rectify this shit is on the way? Not holding my breath.

Also agree with all of you that this should have been a "Sega Forever" app. That would have been far more attractive and much more tempting. That shit is something I'd rush to download, not individual poorly emulated ports that can't hold a stable frame rate.

Fix your shit Sega, and fix it quick.

gunstarhero

Immediately grabbed Phantasy Star 2 (paid) without blinking. It's one of my favorite games as a kid and even though I generally don't play phone games, the idea of replaying this classic on the go was too tempting.

Then I booted it up and heard the audio. >_<

God damnit Sega. Why do you make it so hard to love you.

nkarafo

So yeah, Kid Chameleon doesn't run particularly smooth on my phone. I do have a Samsung Galaxy Core LTE from 2015, so it is an older phone. But yeah, the game stutters for me a bit and doesn't give a smooth frame rate.
Your phone is fine. You could run all of these games on a free emulator at smooth 60fps, even if you had a Galaxy S2.

It's just shitty software/emulation. These companies act like there are no standards in the industry or like emulation never existed at all.

Forgive my ignorance, but was Phantasy Star II available on Android/iOS before this SEGA Forever version launched? If yes, did it run better than this one?

Blueblur1

The ads shoved into Sonic 1's pause screen really pissed me off. I'm not going to download any of these damn games or any future Sega mobile games because of it.

Ferr986

Man, is sad that Sega fucked up AGAIN with the emulation on an otherwise interesting platform. I thought they learned when Taxman ports sold better than roms.

Also, the fuck is that about Sonic 1 license? I have the paid version, didn't try it yet but I hope it's not fucked.

Vorg

Banned
Crying shame this. The marketing campaign was excellent echoing the confident awesomeness of nineties era Sega but they've completely fucked up the debut of this. First impressions are everything so I'm worried the service might be doomed now. Sega really should have cut a deal with the Retroarch guys and got a decent emulator. It's like they poured all their budget in to marketing and totally cheaped out on the actual production. Maybe a quick fix to rectify this shit is on the way? Not holding my breath.

Also agree with all of you that this should have been a "Sega Forever" app. That would have been far more attractive and much more tempting. That shit is something I'd rush to download, not individual poorly emulated ports that can't hold a stable frame rate.

Fix your shit Sega, and fix it quick.

They tried but the retroarch guys wanted to have retroarch branding in the games, which is an insane request for something like this, tbqh. Of course if you're hired to do a service for some other company, it's going to have that company's branding and not yours. And it's sure as shit not going to have any retroarch branding anywhere. Not on something like this. Why would Sega want to boycott themselves like that? Not sure what they were thinking there.

Of course, they got pissed and tweeted this,which shows how professional they are. Stay classy, retroarch guys.

Munkymall

Neo Member
What I want is a 'sega tv' app on my PS4, select channels ( systems ) and then play emu games of all their old hits. I'd pay money for a channel or have adverts , you know cos it's 'tv' .
Megadrive,
Megacd,
Saturn,
Dreamcast,
Maybe master system/ game gear.
Model 2/3 arcade and all other arcades ever. Would die for the last one.

Also Same as above from Capcom please.

I think they messed up here - though its not too late to fix.

They should have released the one app - Sega Forever with the games inside it rather than seperate games all over the App store. Then people can regularly check back into Sega Forever to download new titles as they choose

Right now - if they plan on releasing lots of Sega games, I don't want to have to scroll through 100 apps in the app store everytime.

I'm surprised it's not this way. But seeing the quality of emulation, It's hard to think Sega has more than two developers in this project lol

inner-G

Banned
They tried but the retroarch guys wanted to have retroarch branding in the games, which is an insane request for something like this, tbqh. Of course if you're hired to do a service for some other company, it's going to have that company's branding and not yours. And it's sure as shit not going to have any retroarch branding anywhere. Not on something like this. Why would Sega want to boycott themselves like that? Not sure what they were thinking there.

Of course, they got pissed and tweeted this,which shows how professional they are. Stay classy, retroarch guys.
Then why do games flash like 50 logos before they start? Developer, publisher, actual developer, havok, etc. (I guess it was worse during the PS2 era)

Either way, I'd rather have some emulator branding added than a bad experience gameplay-wise.

Chao

Donwloaded Kid Chameleon just to see how ot was.

Holy fuck does this shit run badly, I believe it's sub 30fps and the music crackles continuously.

How in the world can you release something that can't hold 30fps on an iPhone 7 but ran perfectly on a Mega fucking Drive?

Does Sega think people are so stupid they won't notice?

Radius4

I will start by reposting this:

Disclosure: 100% biased against GoGame. I'm a contributor to libretro / RetroArch. I'm not the main dev behind RetroArch.

A few months back we were approached by some guy from GoGame. We were asked about how RetroArch works, and the guy showed a lot of interest on our Netplay implementation. The protocol had just been revamped and casually at the same time I was working with another contributor on a system to make the whole experience more streamlined.

Something like this although the current product is much better
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_NbtDmfduo

I wasn't directly involved with the conversations but I was part of the demo product. We were given some assets and some rational and some not so rational goals. The demo had a custom menu, pretty much identical to what you see in the finished product, I think 4 games and an open source emulator. They didn't want to use an open source emulator and they said they had their own that would need to be ported in case they went for our solution.

We are not really hunting for buyers or anything but Daniel (the project leader) has always been interested on finding a 100% legit use for RetroArch / libretro, so it was enticing (and exciting). Also using their own licensed emulator would have saved us a lot of trouble, one of our Genesis cores is GPL, the other one is under a propietary not for commercial use license. Other people may not care about this but we do.

We devoted a few weeks into this, the requirements did get more complicated (rollback based netplay on 4g on a GDC floor, NAT traversal), and well... we delivered. We don't know how did it work on the demo floor, or what happened though. They went completely silent and we were left with a sour taste on the whole deal.

I think we got a reply a few weeks back when they announced the service and we replied on several venues explaining this whole fiasco but I don't think any of us replied.

I guess we were a bit naive, we should have signed a contract or at least got a paycheck out of it and we should have realized we were being "shopped", we were being compared to other solutions and I guess we were deemed inferior.

Our platform (libretro) and our frontend (RetroArch) is by no means perfect. But it can play Comix Zone, Sonic, Phantasy Star II and more with great sound, great performance and lots of enhancements under a wide variety of platforms. I'm biased of course but really, companies can do a lot more damage to their own IP than passionate open source developers / fans can do.

(Look at megaman android ports for another example)

Radius4

Where are you getting that from?

1. We were not hired, we weren't being paid for. We were working on good faith thinking something good may come of it.

GoGame / Sega are free to use anything in the end, it's their IP, if they want to drag it through mud it's their problem not ours. But when someone does some work for someone, the very least you can expect is a reply.

Going dark is unprofessional, disrespectful and flat out annoying.

2. We didn't want logos in the games, a small libretro logo in a splash would have been enough and we weren't all that demanding either, actually it wasn't a deal breaker at all.

A powered by libretro mention in credits or anything wouldn't be outlandish.

Haven't you seen the intros of every single game out there? mentions of bink, havok and whatever other framework in use?

3. GPL.

Look people, and even publishers (and this might be even bad for us)

YOU CAN USE GPL SOFTWARE AS IS.

Regarding RetroArch in particular, they could have built RA with no menu and made their "fancy" menus in unity or java or whaver and used them as launchers for a native activity. The only thing they would have required to do is to link to our github repo.

The only showstopper would have been GPGX because it's non-commercial.

But we weren't going to use that anyhow! we were going to port their own commercially licensed emulator (DGen or something)

Fox Mulder

Donwloaded Kid Chameleon just to see how ot was.

Holy fuck does this shit run badly, I believe it's sub 30fps and the music crackles continuously.

How in the world can you release something that can't hold 30fps on an iPhone 7 but ran perfectly on a Mega fucking Drive?

Does Sega think people are so stupid they won't notice?

Sega doesn't really care. This is a cover all bases move. They've been licensing out their stuff and name for shitty plug and play systems for years and will now drop dozens of ad riddled free games on the store.

I'm just baffled at how this isn't one app platform.

Thanks for the insight dude. Enlightening information! Seems like there's more to the story than I thought. Definitely interesting info.

EDIT: Looks like you've been somewhat countered/corrected above!

Our platform (libretro) and our frontend (RetroArch) is by no means perfect. But it can play Comix Zone, Sonic, Phantasy Star II and more with great sound, great performance and lots of enhancements under a wide variety of platforms. I'm biased of course but really, companies can do a lot more damage to their own IP than passionate open source developers / fans can do.

Thanks for taking the time to chime in here. Sounds like you were fucked around by Sega honestly, and the fault is theirs. Though RetroArch may not be perfect, I'm betting it's a damn sight better than the solution they ultimately chose which is leading to this project collapsing at launch. They absolutely, almost certainly, should have chosen RetroArch as their emulation solution and this disaster of a launch a hundred percent wouldn't be happening now.

Sad to hear you guys got fucked around with. IMO RetroArch is an amazing project and emulator. Thanks for the insight and good luck with all your future endeavours.

Radius4

I think it was GoGame more than Sega, I don't think we ever talked to a real Sega employee.

Thanks for hightlighting that part I was gonna make it bold :)

FaintDeftone

I decided to download Kid Chameleon since it's one of my favorite platformers ever. It runs like ass on my iPhone 6S Plus. The controls are laggy too. Bummer.

StereoVsn

Forgive my ignorance, but was Phantasy Star II available on Android/iOS before this SEGA Forever version launched? If yes, did it run better than this one?

Yeap, I bought a few years back and it ran just fine. It can run on a watch or a toaster. Now, the "new and improved" version has advertisements, always online, shitty performance and sound AND the old purchase won't restore. It's really great /s.

Vorg

Banned
Where are you getting that from?

1. We were not hired, we weren't being paid for. We were working on good faith thinking something good may come of it.

GoGame / Sega are free to use anything in the end, it's their IP, if they want to drag it through mud it's their problem not ours. But when someone does some work for someone, the very least you can expect is a reply.

Going dark is unprofessional, disrespectful and flat out annoying.

2. We didn't want logos in the games, a small libretro logo in a splash would have been enough and we weren't all that demanding either, actually it wasn't a deal breaker at all.

A powered by libretro mention in credits or anything wouldn't be outlandish.

Haven't you seen the intros of every single game out there? mentions of bink, havok and whatever other framework in use?

3. GPL.

Look people, and even publishers (and this might be even bad for us)

YOU CAN USE GPL SOFTWARE AS IS.

Regarding RetroArch in particular, they could have built RA with no menu and made their "fancy" menus in unity or java or whaver and used them as launchers for a native activity. The only thing they would have required to do is to link to our github repo.

The only showstopper would have been GPGX because it's non-commercial.

But we weren't going to use that anyhow! we were going to port their own commercially licensed emulator (DGen or something)

Thanks for clearing that up. That tweet though. But I'm willing to guess that was all squarepusher as usual.

Radius4

oh I just realized a glaring omission on that post.

The problem with GPL is closed platforms and the TiVoization clause on GPLv3, but really it could have been discussed and fixed with an exception which being realistic could have been managed.

Wait, did they really mess up the already amazing sonic 1 remaster with a new version forced to go through forever sega stuff? w...why...

*edit* installed it and launched it, what the fudge SEGA, not cool man.

Playing it with ads you get some full screen and smaller ads on the main menus plus you get one after each act it seems, what a killer.

You can still buy Sonic 1 on the amazon app store, check to see if you have any app credit sometimes you get some from buying other things, that's where I own my copy.

God, Dark1X... stop being ridiculous. Sonic 1 runs fine. Could you be any more melodramatic... Christ.

Sonic 1 is the taxman remake so it's a different beast compared to the emulated roms, however whatever sega have done to this version now adds in padding not really required just so people can play it for free with ads.

Not worth updating your copy of sonic 1 if it can be helped, no benefit.

I think they messed up here - though its not too late to fix.

They should have released the one app - Sega Forever with the games inside it rather than seperate games all over the App store. Then people can regularly check back into Sega Forever to download new titles as they choose.

Right now - if they plan on releasing lots of Sega games, I don't want to have to scroll through 100 apps in the app store everytime.

Years ago sega were going to do this strangely enough, there was going to be a hub app on IOS that users could buy games inside and play them, similar to the current steam emulator stuff.

Sega dropped it months after announcing it because they seem to hate good ideas.

kinn

I think the idea is good but the execution....

Bite the bullet Sega and use Retroarch. And while youre at it, include that mod support from steam.

Your phone is fine. You could run all of these games on a free emulator at smooth 60fps, even if you had a Galaxy S2.

It's just shitty software/emulation. These companies act like there are no standards in the industry or like emulation never existed at all.

Oh I know that. I do have a copy of Retroarch installed on my phone along with a small library of games, including PS1 titles. My phone runs just about anything on Retroarch fine, aside from maybe a few N64 games.

I just downloaded Comix Zone, and it is unplayable on my phone. I get that there is extra overhead here from the Unity engine, but still..

While I had only played Sonic 1 for awhile last time I posted, downloaded the rest and yeah, emulation isn't good. Weird slow down every few seconds.
Sonic works well since it's just 1 button, I believe all 3 are required for the others.
Comix Zone is still conceptually cool. Combat feels cool enough. Only one life and the slow down makes it not particularly fun

I think it was GoGame more than Sega, I don't think we ever talked to a real Sega employee.

Thanks for hightlighting that part I was gonna make it bold :)

We appreciate your presence in this thread. It's enlightening and great to have you here!

Regarding Sonic 1, seriously WTF? The paid version is one of the best ports of all-time (all praise our lord and saviour Taxman) so they've literally re-modeled the game to have video ads in between the acts? Christ that's the worst possible idea in the universe.

As I've stated on Sonic Retro, Sega evidently threw masses of money in to a slick marketing campaign and cheaped out on the actual production and execution, such as securing a decent emulation solution like RetroArch.

Hope Sega see the negative press shit storm and reboot this, because as a concept it's still fantastic.

We appreciate your presence in this thread. It's enlightening and great to have you here!

Regarding Sonic 1, seriously WTF? The paid version is one of the best ports of all-time (all praise our lord and saviour Taxman) so they've literally re-modeled the game to have video ads in between the acts? Christ that's the worst possible idea in the universe.

As I've stated on Sonic Retro, Sega evidently threw masses of money in to a slick marketing campaign and cheaped out on the actual production and execution, such as securing a decent emulation solution like RetroArch.

Hope Sega see the negative press shit storm and reboot this, because as a concept it's still fantastic.

In my opinion the free-to-play ad supported versions of these games are perfectly fine. I have no problem with this at all, given that you can just purchase them for a small fee and remove the ads. I think it is a good business model.

However, for anyone that owned any of these games previously before the update, these versions replace them. Which is what I really have a problem with. People who purchased Sonic 1 before the updates are having issues restoring their original purchases within the game.

Also, the Genesis/ Mega Drive emulated games (Kid Chameleon, Phantasy Star II, Comix Zone,etc...) that people may have previously owned were been replaced with these versions, which run infinity worse on the same hardware thanks to the new Unity/ jEnesis backend.

Rlan

All the apps just got updated.

Sonic 1's restore purchase has been fixed.

Every other app has fixed the issue with save files for people who paid not being able to use the saves while offline.

Performance is still an issue but if they're updating this quickly, I'm pretty sure they're aware of the problem and are looking into it.

gunstarhero

Fucking Sega.

Had 2 save files in PS2, with 5 hours logged into Save 2. Booted it up today to continue and only Save 1 is there (which had 20 minutes played lol).

I'm out.

Only downloaded Comix Zone and was immediately disgusted by the music and framerate lurching around wildly. Go home Sega Forever you're drunk. Reminds of me of DotEmu's work, surprised they aren't involved.

Metalgus

Banned
Only downloaded Comix Zone and was immediately disgusted by the music and framerate lurching around wildly. Go home Sega Forever you're drunk. Reminds of me of DotEmu's work, surprised they aren't involved.

Yeah I really feel this performance is unacceptable, even for free games. I'll be back when/if they update.

Top Bottom