• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Mega Drive Ultimate Collection announced for PS3/360

More than 40 games (Mega Drive, Master System, 80's Arcade): Sonic 1, 2, & 3, Columns, Alien Storm, Ecco the Dolphin, Space Harrier, Streets of Rage 1, 2 & 3, etc.

Developer: Backbone Entertainment

You can play all games in 720p.

Release Spring 2009 worldwide.

source http://www.gamefront.de

Susurrus

Do we really need another one of these? There's already one for Gamecube/Xbox/PS2 that runs on Wii/360/PS3...

MMaRsu

Banned
There's the reason not more Sega classics are on XBLA.

Fuck that shit. I don´t want to play 40 fucking megadrive games, there are probably only a few on that dvd that will interest me.

Walshicus

solarplexus said:
Unless they've gone and retouched every game with high resolution sprites etc... it doesn't really matter a lick of difference if it's displayed at 720p.

ghibli99

I'm curious about what the arcade games are. If they're perfect ports, I might bite. No graphic filters, either. Can't stand that crap.

neight

Banned
displayed at 720p means it's going to have a nasty bilinear filter. god bless the wii's analog sd output.

Last time they missed the Streets of Rage games, Gunstar Heroes (if they're allowed), the first Phantasy Star, Sonic 3 and onward, Ranger X, I think some Shinobi games, Beyond Oasis, Shining Force games...what else?

JudgeN

Why the hell can't sega make a worthwhile collection? Like the "Shining Force collection" it includes Shining Holy Ark, Shining Force 1-3 for saturn all in 720p. SEGA MAKE THIS HAPPEN SCREW THE OTHER SHIT!!!

Geezer

Broken water pistol loaded with piss
Super Hang On please. Mainly because I like the music :D
Columns had better be there too.

JudgeN said:
Why the hell can't sega make a worthwhile collection? Like the "Shining Force collection" it includes Shining Holy Ark, Shining Force 1-3 for saturn all in 720p. SEGA MAKE THIS HAPPEN SCREW THE OTHER SHIT!!!

The Dreamcast Smash Pack was a decent collection.

well, at least you don't pay for every rom like in the vc

but why don't release it on psn/xbox live ?

i hope there is trophies support

I would buy some of these games as XBLA games, just like I bought Sonic 1, Sonic 2 and Streets of Rage 2.

I will not buy another crappy compilation, Sega. And I love Sega. By doing this instead of releasing these old titles as PSN/XBLA games you are screwing your loyal fans, your casual customers and anyone who likes having old school games on their harddrive to play at their convenience.

I actually like the smoothing filter on the XBLA games, well, on Sonic and Streets of Rage 2, it made Golden Axe look really bad.

If they released these games individually on PSN/XBLA you could probably expect them to be $5-10 each. Depending on what games are in this bundle in the final lineup it could be well worth it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
neight said:
displayed at 720p means it's going to have a nasty bilinear filter. god bless the wii's analog sd output.
Errr, the Wii still has to upscale as there are no games that actually display the native resolution of the original titles. The Wii has awful video output even for its low resolution.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
JudgeN said:

This is new sega we're talking about.

It's easier to get a buncha roms, stuff them on a DVD, code a poorly written emulator and sell for 50 bucks.

Remember the Sega Ages collection? On the PS2? Japanese Only? some of those were well polished re-releases of games/collection of games, and that didn't sell very much.

That's why they don't release stuff on PSN and XBLA. That takes an effort. This, on the other hand....

Besides, they need money, since there's a new sonic game out and it will probably suck.

I miss old Sega... :( *hugs his dreamcast*

Yeah, well:

942c395173e0ddf89938f592a32fb66d.jpg

d8285b3759ed1ed3c9f3f8db27c45384.jpg

bb7a366bd7353ff9a6869f04d3376b59.jpg

three more screens

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
dark10x said:
Errr, the Wii still has to upscale as there are no games that actually display the native resolution of the original titles. The Wii has awful video output even for its low resolution.

Yeah, even with the terrible crappy filter the 360 and PS3 versions are likely to look better than the Wii version.

:/

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Dead Man Typing said:
By doing this instead of releasing these old titles as PSN/XBLA games you are screwing your loyal fans, your casual customers and anyone who likes having old school games on their harddrive to play at their convenience.

They don't care about their "loyal" fans. Who would be a loyal fan of Sega now anyway?

These collections are aimed right those casual customers. "40 games for such and such price? How can I lose?" Sonic Mega Collection Plus still sells in stores so there's no reason not to go back to the well for the new consoles.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Dead Man Typing said:
I would buy some of these games as XBLA games, just like I bought Sonic 1, Sonic 2 and Streets of Rage 2.

I will not buy another crappy compilation, Sega. And I love Sega. By doing this instead of releasing these old titles as PSN/XBLA games you are screwing your loyal fans, your casual customers and anyone who likes having old school games on their harddrive to play at their convenience.

You're directing your hate at the wrong people. Microsoft decided earlier in the year that there would be no more straight ports of old games. The games on this compilation were ready to go for XBLA before Microsoft outlawed them.

It all stems from this:

http://www.destructoid.com/more-fai...xbla-cutting-down-on-arcade-ports-78202.phtml

Anyhow, personally, I'd rather pay $50 for a selection of 40+ of Sega's best rather than shell out $10 for EACH game but to each their own.

Dabanton

Oh Sega

Give us a Dreamcast collection or even a Saturn collection.
Seeing as you have no intention of making use of your old I.P's through Xbox Live Or PSN.

God damnit who in the hell ever thought vomit filters were a good idea? I'll still probably buy it becase well, I buy every version of Sonic 1 but please, use nearest neighbour and leave it at that. If you absolutely MUSt use a filter just make it bilinear and please, for the love of God don't make it mandatory.

Onix said:
Pics don't look that bad to be honest.

If your eyes are broke, perhaps. There aint no way in hell you can say this looks anything other than vomit inducing if you have even the most basically functioning eyes:

bb7a366bd7353ff9a6869f04d3376b59.jpg

Burai said:
You're directing your hate at the wrong people. Microsoft decided earlier in the year that there would be no more straight ports of old games. The games on this compilation were ready to go for XBLA before Microsoft outlawed them.
They aren't straight ports though.
SoR2 and Sonic 2 XBLA have online multiplayer.

Ikaruga, SamSho II, etc have online play and therefore are exempt

English PR

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

SEGA MEGA DRIVETM ULTIMATE COLLECTION ANNOUNCED FOR THE XBOX 360 AND PLAYSTATION 3

SEGA's glorious past is gathered in one colossal collection

LONDON & SAN FRANCISCO (November 3, 2008) – SEGA® of Europe Ltd. and SEGA® of America, Inc today announced the development of SEGA Mega Drive Ultimate Collection for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, and the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system. This compilation will feature the best first-party games from SEGA’s respected 16-bit Mega Drive years, as well as bonus content from its 8-bit Master System and 1980’s arcade era games library.

“SEGA Mega Drive Ultimate Collection is a must-have for any SEGA enthusiast,” commented Gary Knight, European Marketing Director for SEGA Europe. “Fans will get a chance to relive fond memories from these classic games in HD format.”

Developed by Backbone Entertainment, SEGA Mega Drive Ultimate Collection contains over 40 celebrated SEGA classics in one package; making it the largest collection of SEGA first party games ever offered. Featured games include; Sonic the Hedgehog 1, 2 and 3, Columns, Alien Storm, Ecco the Dolphin, Space Harrier, and cult classic, Streets of Rage 1, 2 and 3. The games in the collection have been reproduced with the utmost detail and accuracy to commend their originals. In addition, SEGA Mega Drive Ultimate Collection can output the games in 720p with higher resolution graphics for HD televisions, bringing a new visual richness to these classic titles.

SEGA Mega Drive Ultimate Collection for Xbox 360 and PLAYSTATION 3 is scheduled for worldwide release in early 2009. For all press assets, please visit www.sega-press.com.

bryehn

PR:
SEGA MEGA DRIVETM ULTIMATE COLLECTION ANNOUNCED FOR THE XBOX 360 AND PLAYSTATION 3

SEGA's glorious past is gathered in one colossal collection

LONDON & SAN FRANCISCO (November 3, 2008) – SEGA® of Europe Ltd. and SEGA® of America, Inc today announced the development of SEGA Mega Drive Ultimate Collection for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, and the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system. This compilation will feature the best first-party games from SEGA’s respected 16-bit Mega Drive years, as well as bonus content from its 8-bit Master System and 1980’s arcade era games library.

“SEGA Mega Drive Ultimate Collection is a must-have for any SEGA enthusiast,” commented Gary Knight, European Marketing Director for SEGA Europe. “Fans will get a chance to relive fond memories from these classic games in HD format.”

Developed by Backbone Entertainment, SEGA Mega Drive Ultimate Collection contains over 40 celebrated SEGA classics in one package; making it the largest collection of SEGA first party games ever offered. Featured games include; Sonic the Hedgehog 1, 2 and 3, Columns, Alien Storm, Ecco the Dolphin, Space Harrier, and cult classic, Streets of Rage 1, 2 and 3. The games in the collection have been reproduced with the utmost detail and accuracy to commend their originals. In addition, SEGA Mega Drive Ultimate Collection can output the games in 720p with higher resolution graphics for HD televisions, bringing a new visual richness to these classic titles.

pswii60

Streets of Rage 1 = DAY ONE PURCHASE

Backbone or not, I don't give a shit. I just want to play Streets of Rage 1.

stuminus3

Balls, I just recently picked up the PS2 Genesis Collection.

Still... 720p filters are awful in those screenshots.

neight

Banned
dark10x said:
The Wii displays VC games about as well as the original consoles. I've tried every emulator and every filter on the PC they're always too smoothed and when you don't apply a filter it's too pixelated.

Burai said:

It all stems from this:

http://www.destructoid.com/more-fai...xbla-cutting-down-on-arcade-ports-78202.phtml

Anyhow, personally, I'd rather pay $50 for a selection of 40+ of Sega's best rather than shell out $10 for EACH game but to each their own.

Nah, I'd rather pay £3.50 for each game I actually want and play the other's free trial to get my fill of nostalgia. I understand their perspective and I have no doubt that they'll make more money this way. I also realise that using the phrase "loyal fans" was a mistake, which we'll just chalk up to my responce being a bit of a knee jerk reaction. I've bought many Sega collections before, the best being the Dreamcast one with Virtua Cop 2, and I just wish they'd have kept doing what they were doing with the old school games at 400 points each, updated with Achievements and online play.

I'm just disappointed, is all. Whoever is to blame.

Pellham

Banned
solarplexus said:
More than 40 games (Mega Drive, Master System, 80's Arcade): Sonic 1, 2, & 3, Columns, Alien Storm, Ecco the Dolphin, Space Harrier, Streets of Rage 1, 2 & 3, etc.

Developer: Backbone Entertainment

Release Spring 2009 worldwide.

source http://www.gamefront.de

When it said Ultimate I thought this would be every game ever released for the megadrive, but it's only around 40. I am so disappointed that this is just like every other stupid sega collection disc that I refuse to buy this piece of shit.

Top Bottom