• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Mega Drive Ultimate Collection announced for PS3/360

Hunahan

Banned
I really wish Sega would jump onboard the Capcom express and start doing 2.5D Remix versions of some of these games instead of just re-releasing ports.

2.5D Shinobi Re-Shurikened would be all kinds of awesome.

I read the thread title, and was excited. Now I'm just really annoyed that Backbone got its grubby mitts on yet another set of classics.

wrowa

Why the hate? The list of games is fantastic. That they release it as a disc compilation is a good thing, imo. Wii owners would have to pay... 320$ to play all these games. Uh, yeah: Thanks for screwing Wii owners, Sega.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Fuck off with the unlockable game bullshit, Sega!

Does nobody else hate it? It was the same in Sonic Collections last gen.

"Hey, here's 20 games, but you can only play 5 of them! LOL!"

Keep the concept art and shit as unlockables, NOT the games.

Firestorm

No Sonic 3 & Knuckles, no buy. Entire purchase rests on that.
Of course, even if it's in it'll be some bullshit unlockable. Ugh. Was annoying as hell in Mega Collection.

mollipen

wrowa said:
Why the hate? The list of games is fantastic. That they release it as a disc compilation is a good thing, imo. Wii owners would have to pay... 320$ to play all these games. Uh, yeah: Thanks for screwing Wii owners, Sega.

Well, not so much the Wii, but as far as the Xbox 360, I'd rather buy the games individually, because then I might actually have the chance of getting online multiplayer or leaderboards. Otherwise, they're the same games I've played a hundred times already, and it's a bit hard to get excited.

Roxas

Firestorm said:
No Sonic 3 & Knuckles, no buy. Entire purchase rests on that.
Of course, even if it's in it'll be some bullshit unlockable. Ugh. Was annoying as hell in Mega Collection.

Its there.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
WaltJay said:
Complete list of games. Also, it looks like it'll be $29.99.

so this is just a port of 2007 game on PS2/PSP but in HD with some new titles like E-SWAT , Fatal Labyrinth , Flicky and all Shining series , Day one I can't resist :(
I am Sega's little bitch , some one welp me

Jim said:
lol, the North American name is "Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection".

:lol well , they want this to sell

I hope they rename Yakuza series to Sonic's Yakuza Adventures in Japan or Sonic and the Tall Yakuza , at least Yakuza games can sell more than just three copies in America by using Sonic name in the title .

shidoshi said:
Well, not so much the Wii, but as far as the Xbox 360, I'd rather buy the games individually, because then I might actually have the chance of getting online multiplayer or leaderboards. Otherwise, they're the same games I've played a hundred times already, and it's a bit hard to get excited.
Yeah, but I can still see the appeal for this had they done a truly "ultimate collection" instead of a meager 40 games, considering this IS for next-gen consoles and all. I still think adding online play is a feasible option for something like this, but nobody's really seemed to bother adding it before, and I don't expect anyone to do it anytime soon.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Farnack said:
What they are still alive?

they were dead before ? they just made 1942 and Commando 3 for Capcom , great remakes .

Himuro said:
Does this have Sonic CD in it?

My dream Sega Genesis Collection:

Rocket Knight Adventures
Sonic 1-3 and Knuckles
Sonic CD
Sonic Spinball
Dr. Robotnik's Mean bean Machine
Snatcher
Space Harrier
Super Fantasy Zone
Streets of Rage 1-3
Comix Zone
Ecco the Dolphin
Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse
Aladdin
Flashback
Out of this World
Herzog Zwei
Warsong
Columns
Gunstar Heroes
Dynamite Headdy
Vector Man
Shinobi trilogy
Ristar
Phantasy Star I-IV (I know 1 wasn't a Genesis game but fuck, for completions sake)
Moonwalker
Tiny Toons: Buster's Hidden Treasure
THUNDER FORCE GAMES
Shining Force 1+2
Shadowrun
Landstalker
Sword of Vermillion
Ys III
Lunar 1 and 2
Beyond Oasis
M.U.S.H.A.

and more

Hire me.

:lol :lol :lol

why to send Sega to the court ?

it's called Sega's Mega Drive Ultimate Collection , and you want Aladdin , Flashback and Ys III and other games that that SEGA didn't published on Megadrive and don't even own the rights/license for them .

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
ace harding: private eye said:
The Dreamcast Smash Pack was a decent collection.

no, the music was horrible. by the time i got to barbon in streets of rage 2, i was fucking done with the disc

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Wow, that filter looks fucking awful... why not give it to M2? Pretty curious as to what the achievements for the PS games will be. But I will either stick to VC or my original copies of (most of) these games, for now.

Not sure if want.

Really though, Sega needs to quit with the Sonic/Genesis collections and start pumping out some Saturn & Dreamcast collections.

firex

Phantasy Star 1 needs to be an unlockable. If they're going to waste space with shit like Sonic 3d Blast and Sonic Spinball, they can surely put Phantasy Star on there.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Firestorm said:
Are you working on the game? I can't see Sonic & Knuckles on the list, let alone Sonic 3 & Knuckles.
Sonic 3D Blast
Sonic and Knuckles
Sonic Spinball
Sonic The Hedgehog
Sonic The Hedgehog 2
Sonic The Hedgehog 3

mollipen

PTCoakley said:
Yeah, but I can still see the appeal for this had they done a truly "ultimate collection" instead of a meager 40 games, considering this IS for next-gen consoles and all. I still think adding online play is a feasible option for something like this, but nobody's really seemed to bother adding it before, and I don't expect anyone to do it anytime soon.

No, I absolutely agree with you. If this had, instead of being basically the same select of games we keep getting over and over, a COMPLETE collection of Sega-brand titles from both the Master System and Genesis, I'd think far more highly of it. There is really absolutely no excuse for this to not also include every single Master System title Sega released, save for those that may at this point have licensing issues.

Rolf NB

cjelly said:

Signed.

true edit (really? Really!):
Totobeni said:
I hope they rename Yakuza series to Sonic's Yakuza Adventures in Japan or Sonic and the Tall Yakuza , at least Yakuza games can sell more than just three copies in America by using Sonic name in the title .
Sonic Recommends: Yakuza And Friends.
Picture the li'l bugger with the raised finger, as usual, in something resembling Konami's The Best packaging for DS.

I'm fetching a bucket right now.

Raistlin

brain_stew said:
If your eyes are broke, perhaps. There aint no way in hell you can say this looks anything other than vomit inducing if you have even the most basically functioning eyes:

bb7a366bd7353ff9a6869f04d3376b59.jpg

Compared to that game running natively?

Does anyone have a comparison pic?

Raistlin

WaltJay said:
Complete list of games. Also, it looks like it'll be $29.99.

Link to official site

Holy shit ... ton of awesome games on there!! 0_0

shidoshi said:
Best I could find that didn't have some sort of filter going on.

shinobi_iii.gif

Unfortunately I'll have to wait until I get home to look. Practically all gaming sites, and most image hosts, are blocked at work.

Struct09

Ranger X said:
There's Sonic Mega Collection +

(PS2 / Xbox / GC... i think)

Which does not include Sonic CD. The Sonic Gems collection has Sonic CD, but doesn't have Sonic 1/2/3/Knuckles.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Classic_Gs said:
Not sure if want.

Really though, Sega needs to quit with the Sonic/Genesis collections and start pumping out some Saturn & Dreamcast collections.

yeah , but Dreamcast maybe hard to port for HD , Shenmue 1 , 2 will cost tonz of shit even for a port without anything new graphically , and you can't put many of them in one disc ( at least not on PS3 ) so collection wont be a real collection if you only have very two or three games on the disc .

but I guess Saturn games a more likely if you want to put many games on one disc ,and I want Burning Rangers , Daytona USA , Panzer Dragon Saga , Shining Force III , Shining The Holy Ark ,Virtua Fighter II, Fighters Megamix , Virtual On , Manx TT and Nights ( they already ported this to PS2 ) and more ..

Raistlin

SovanJedi said:
They just took the original sprites and applied a Median filter to it. What a horrible, lazy way to upscale.

Whoever is in charge of this should be ashamed of themselves.

No offense, but what are you expecting them to do? Redraw all the sprites for every game ... and still charge $29?

Lol ... no

Note: I really do hope that aspect ratio and filters are options however.

Really, this constant habit of not including Sonic CD needs to stop. I know it's not really a "Mega Drive" title, but it's part of the Sonic 16-bit series. There NEEDS to be a collection that exists that includes all 5 games.

Still, a nice deal for those of you who don't have all those games already.

Rolf NB

Onix said:
Compared to that game running natively?

Does anyone have a comparison pic?
Maybe. I have a bunch off the Megadrive collection for PS2. I don't know how different that is from the genuine article, really.

2.jpg

Jim said:
720p shots:

1.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

I prefer giant chunky pixels.

Holy crap, that is the absolute worst Mega Drive emulation I have ever seen! (Somehow they made it look even worse than the XBLA versions!) You'll probably be able to turn off the filter like the XBLA games but to be honest, they still looked blurry and nasty even without the filter and had crap sound emulation as well as numerous glitches.

You may balk at the prices of VC games but you pay for fucking quality, the VC emulation is 100% perfect down to the pixel (Even supports true 240p resolution!) and the save state function is perfectly implemented (Adds a useful save feature without breaking the original game by deleting it when you go back to it)

With VC games, you're not just buying the game, you're also buying the emulator as each game has it's own custom built emulator (VC games are not just ROM dumps, unlike what most people here would tell you)

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I never knew so many people hated filters on these old games, I myself won't even touch the old retro games unless they have a filter on them, can't stand block'o'vision games on a large LCD panel.

Mize

Of the loads of Genesis games I once owned the only one I'd like to play again is Herzog Zwei and it's not on this list of games :(

RpgN

Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
Alien Storm
Altered Beast
Beyond Oasis
Bonanza Bros.
Columns
Comix Zone
Decap Attack starring Chuck D. Head
Dr. Robotnik's MBM
Dynamite Headdy
Ecco the Dolphin
Ecco II: The Tides of Time
E-SWAT
Fatal Labyrinth
Flicky
Gain Ground
Golden Axe I
Golden Axe II
Golden Axe III
Kid Chameleon
Phantasy Star II
Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom
Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium
Ristar
Shining in the Darkness
Shining Force
Shining Force 2

Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
Sonic 3D Blast
Sonic and Knuckles
Sonic Spinball
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Sonic the Hedgehog 3
Streets of Rage
Streets of Rage 2
Streets of Rage 3

Super Thunder Blade
Vectorman
Vectorman 2

*Unlockable games to be revealed soon!

Important games not available on the sega mega collection (psp)? Sold!

Though I would have loved Landstalker there too...

Raistlin

Mize said:
Of the loads of Genesis games I once owned the only one I'd like to play again is Herzog Zwei and it's not on this list of games :(

Aren't these only Sega IP's? Herzog was by Technosoft.

Yeah, Sega doesn't own the rights to Technosoft's properties. Herzog and Thunder Force II-IV are no-go's.

Yeah, no Landstalker. Bummer.

Also, it includes Dynamite Headdy, but no Gunstar?

'Ultimate' collection indeed.

Edit 1: No Shadow Dancer either. :p

Edit 2: No Space Harrier 2?? Why the heck not?

This collection is barely an upgrade over the PS2 Collection.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
firex said:
Phantasy Star 1 needs to be an unlockable. If they're going to waste space with shit like Sonic 3d Blast and Sonic Spinball, they can surely put Phantasy Star on there.

Yup, and technically Phantasy Star 1 had a MD port - In Japan, there was a rare Mega Drive port for the game, too. (I own a copy :D) Lots of these compilations have Phantasy Star 2-4 but not many people have played the first game.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
cjelly said:

How did you unlock other games? Did you have to beat others first?

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Why doesn't Sega port some of it's arcade games like (OG) Shinobi, Shadow Dancer (not the crappy Genny version), Turbo Ourtun, Power Drift, Afterburner, Daytona USA (LOL), etc? Through those and others on a disc for $20 - $30 and watch the money run in .

Firestorm

cjelly said:
Sonic 3D Blast
Sonic and Knuckles
Sonic Spinball
Sonic The Hedgehog
Sonic The Hedgehog 2
Sonic The Hedgehog 3
Oh I missed Sonic & Knuckles. Well Sonic 3 & Knuckles better be at least unlockable. If so, I'll probably quadruple dip. Although I sort of wanted it for achievements so there was more to do and if it's split across 40 games there won't be many for S3&K.

Top Bottom