• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Mega Drive Ultimate Collection announced for PS3/360

SonicMegaDrive said:
Yeah, Sega doesn't own the rights to Technosoft's properties. Herzog and Thunder Force II-IV are no-go's.

Yeah, no Landstalker. Bummer.

Also, it includes Dynamite Headdy, but no Gunstar?

'Ultimate' collection indeed.

Edit 1: No Shadow Dancer either. :p

Edit 2: No Space Harrier 2?? Why the heck not?

This collection is barely an upgrade over the PS2 Collection.

They'd be stupid to include Gunstar Heroes, that game has too high of a perceived value to include in a collection disc like this.

Firestorm said:
Oh I missed Sonic & Knuckles. Well Sonic 3 & Knuckles better be at least unlockable. If so, I'll probably quadruple dip. Although I sort of wanted it for achievements so there was more to do and if it's split across 40 games there won't be many for S3&K.

Yeah, if they make this happen I'll be happy. I'll buy again.

Those shots are ugly as fuck though. I hope they have an option to play the games in the original blocky glory.

Himuro said:
So...when does this come out again?

It seems like a barely upgraded version of the Sega Genesis Collection on the ps2/psp but...still worth checking out. One thing though. How come they don't put Phantasy Star 1 in these collections? I know it's not 16 bit but still, for collections sake.

I have a feeling it'll be an unlockable, since they did mention "Master System" potentials.

Searren

SonicMegaDrive said:
I have a feeling it'll be an unlockable, since they did mention "Master System" potentials.

The official site has this blurb that should confirm it's there:

"THE LARGEST COLLECTION OF CLASSIC SEGA TITLES. All the favorites are here including Sonic The Hedgehog, four titles from the Phantasy Star™ series, as well as three titles from the Streets of Rage™ series, to name a few."

Searren said:
The official site has this blurb that should confirm it's there:

"THE LARGEST COLLECTION OF CLASSIC SEGA TITLES. All the favorites are here including Sonic The Hedgehog, four titles from the Phantasy Star™ series, as well as three titles from the Streets of Rage™ series, to name a few."

What a way to ruin unlockables :lol

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
This is cool, I own most of those, but I will be sure to pick this up.

Great deal, not sure why everyone is so negative.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
That's a pretty freaking awesome lineup. You'll always be able to find something missing if you're looking for it, but they really hit on a lot of the classics.

Totobeni said:
yeah , but Dreamcast maybe hard to port for HD , Shenmue 1 , 2 will cost tonz of shit even for a port without anything new graphically , and you can't put many of them in one disc ( at least not on PS3 ) so collection wont be a real collection if you only have very two or three games on the disc .

but I guess Saturn games a more likely if you want to put many games on one disc ,and I want Burning Rangers , Daytona USA , Panzer Dragon Saga , Shining Force III , Shining The Holy Ark ,Virtua Fighter II, Fighters Megamix , Virtual On , Manx TT and Nights ( they already ported this to PS2 ) and more ..

Gametap emulates the Saturn and Dreamcast just fine, no need for ports. Dreamcast games were never larger than 1GB and many were much smaller. I don't think anyone would complain about a package with 10-15 Dreamcast games, so space isn't an issue.

This is what the Ultimate Genesis collection should include:(Titles not included in bold)

Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Sonic the Hedgehog 3
Sonic & Knuckles
Sonic 3D Blast
Sonic Spinball
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
Gunstar Heroes
Dynamite Headdy
Shining Force
Shining Force 2
Shining in the Darkness
Streets of Rage
Streets of Rage 2
Streets of Rage 3
Golden Axe
Golden Axe 2
Golden Axe 3
Toejam and Earl
Toejam and Earl: Panic on Funkatron
Ecco the Dolphin
Ecco: The Tides of Time
Columns
Columns III
Comix Zone
Phantasy Star II
Phantasy Star III
Phantasy Star IV
Landstalker
Light Crusader

Fatal Labyrinth
Vectorman
Vectorman 2
Kid Chameleon
Ristar
Altered Beast
Alex Kid in the Enchanted Castle
Wonder Boy in Monster Land
Decap Attack
Revenge of Shinobi(without Spider-Man and Batman)
Shadow Dancer
Shinobi III
Virtua Fighter 2
Gain Ground
Flicky
Bonanza Brothers
Sword of Vermilion
After Burner II

Alien Storm
Beyond Oasis
Bio-Hazard Battle
Space Harrier II
Galaxy Force II
G-Loc: Air Battle

Super Thunder Blade
ESWAT: City Under Seige
Dynamite Duke
Super Hang-On
Super Monaco GP
Out Run
Out Run 2019
Turbo Outrun
Virtua Racing
Cyborg Justice
Eternal Champions
X-Perts
Greendog: The Beached Surfer Dude
Jewel Master
The Ooze
Ranger X

Throw-aways that nobody cares about:

Crystal's Pony Tale
Ecco Jr.
Art Alive!
Wacky Worlds

But that's if they included every single Sega-owned Genesis game possible. Which was never going to happen.

Although, it's a great value, no matter how you look at it. It is disappointing that a lot of obvious choices like Eternal Champions, OutRun, Space Harrier 2, Revenge of Shinobi, Landstalker, and Gunstar are not included.

But this collection includes the following games that the original PS2/PSP version did not:

Sonic the Hedgehog 3
Sonic & Knuckles
Sonic Spinball
Sonic 3D Blast
Flicky
Streets of Rage
Streets of Rage 2
Streets of Rage 3
Shining Force
Shining Force 2
Shining in the Darkness
Toejam and Earl
Toejam and Earl Panic on Funkatron
Dynamite Headdy
Beyond Oasis
Fatal Labyrinth
Alien Storm

They omitted Shadow Dancer(a little disappointing), Ecco Jr.(no loss), Virtua Fighter 2(definitely no loss), and Sword of Vermillion(again, not a big loss).

So, overall, it's a huge improvement over the original collection which didn't include the 'Shining' games, the 'Streets of Rage' games, or (strangely enough) the Toejam and Earl games. Oh, and it has all the games from the Sonic Mega Collection. Except 'The Ooze'. Heh.

Yeah, it is a pretty awesome compilation except for those few omissions. Hopefully the emulation is without fault.

_Angelus_

Banned
Give me a Sega arcade Model 1/2/3 collection,break it down in volumes if you have to Sega,but I want ye old arcade games ported home in all their grand glory. Don't really care for the MegaDrive/Genny stuff at this point.

Aselith

ChrisGoldstein said:
I really hope they add achievements but I'm getting it anyway, will love to take a stroll down memory lane lol

40 achievements. 5 gamerscore each and they are this, "Play Sonic 1.""Play Sonic 2""Play Vectorman", etc.

Burai

shitonmychest57
jooey said:
I guess, but it hasn't really been remembered as a Genesis game.

Plus the Genesis port was total dogshit too. Especially in comparison to the Super Hang-On port which was godly.

Hopefully it'll be one of the unlockable arcade games.

GAF typical reaction:

Company releases classic games individual on Live/PSN

GAF Reaction: WTF!! Why can't they release these classic games as a compilation instead of rapi9ng the consumer

Company releases compilation disc with over 40 classic games for $29.99

GAF Reaction: WTF!! Why can't they release these games seperately on Live/PSN so I can choose what I want.

Company never wins.

Please put Sonic CD on this. Please. The game has already been ported to the GameCube and PS2. There needs to be a collection that contains all of the 16-bit sidescrollers. Master System is already more or less confirmed with the "Four Phantasy Stars" bit. Would it really be so bad to just squeeze in just ONE Sega CD game?

Gunstar Heroes would also be nice so as to have all of Treasure's Sega-published games.

Other than that, this collection has a pretty good line-up but the emulation looks terrible.

WaltJay

Doesn't look like Toe Jam & Earl or Herzog Zwei is on the list; hopefully they'll be unlockable.

Another big wish that will never happen: online co-op for Toe Jam & Earl and online versus for Herzog Zwei.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Yoshi said:
Why oh why don't they put Knuckles Chaotix on this?
because it's not a Sonic collection? I'd love Knuckles Chaotix and Sonic CD as much as the next man, but with only 40 games, and by calling it a 'Mega Drive Collection', they can't just shove every single Sonic game ever on there.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
So whens "winter 2009"? Can we hope for January or is it gonna be blargh feb/march?

Aselith said:
40 achievements. 5 gamerscore each and they are this, "Play Sonic 1.""Play Sonic 2""Play Vectorman", etc.

lol if its like that for PS3 my first game with trophys will be an easy platinum!

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
It has Sonic in its name and Sonic CD was already rereleased on GameCube / PS2 so Knuckles Chaotix really is the only Genesis Sonic game not playable on a current console. It can't be SO difficult to emulate 32X :(.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Phoenix Fang said:
GAF typical reaction:

Company releases compilation disc with over 40 classic games for $29.99

GAF Reaction: WTF!! Why can't they release these games seperately on Live/PSN so I can choose what I want.

Company never wins.

except thats not the reason the majority is complaining. its the filter that makes the games look like shit thats the problem.

Aru

They have to release some Mega CD games somewhere (VC ?).
I want to play Shining Force CD :( (excellent remake of the GG SF games / sequel to SF1).

Teknoman

brain_stew said:
God damnit who in the hell ever thought vomit filters were a good idea? I'll still probably buy it becase well, I buy every version of Sonic 1 but please, use nearest neighbour and leave it at that. If you absolutely MUSt use a filter just make it bilinear and please, for the love of God don't make it mandatory.

If your eyes are broke, perhaps. There aint no way in hell you can say this looks anything other than vomit inducing if you have even the most basically functioning eyes:

bb7a366bd7353ff9a6869f04d3376b59.jpg

Consider me to be optically deficient then.

bengraven

I already have Genesis Collection on my PSP and SoR2, Beyond Oasis, Shining in the Darkness, and Shining Force 1 on my Wii, so I'm basically getting:

Sonic the Hedgehog 3
Sonic & Knuckles
Sonic Spinball
Sonic 3D Blast
Flicky
Streets of Rage
Streets of Rage 3
Shining Force 2
Toejam and Earl
Toejam and Earl Panic on Funkatron
Dynamite Headdy
Fatal Labyrinth
Alien Storm

For 29.99?

I think I'll get SF2 on the VC and skip this. As much as I love Sonic 3...

Lindsay said:
So whens "winter 2009"? Can we hope for January or is it gonna be blargh feb/march?

lol if its like that for PS3 my first game with trophys will be an easy platinum!

Gamestop has 2/10/2009 listed as the release date for whatever that is worth.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Schopenhauer said:
Gamestop has 2/10/2009 listed as the release date for whatever that is worth.

blaarrghh.... oh wells thats not to far past january at least. Don't go getting pushed back now release date!

atomico

mega drive collection? oh, ffs Sega, gimme the real arcade versions, not those butchered home ports (which have been released countless times, already)

oh, and those filters look awful. I bet it has s slowdown and glitches up the ass, too
especially on the PS3 version

Raistlin

Anyone know the best way to contact Sega with relatively simple requests?

* Aspect and filters should be adjustable in the options menu (for simplicity, it would be global)

* Offer this on XBL and PSN - even its its totallity, this collection would yield a relatively tiny footprint. Would much prefer to have this on my HDD.

camineet

Banned
I'll be in it for any of the Sega 80s arcade games.

16-bit SEGA Arcade game wishlist (for this collection and for future Sega collections)

Hang-On
Space Harrier
Super Hang-On
Enduro Racer
Out Run
Turbo Out Run
Action Fighter
Alex Kidd : The Lost Stars
Fantasy Zone
Shinobi
Tetris
Wonder Boy III : Monster Lair
Ace Attacker
Alien Syndrome
Altered Beast
Aurail
Bay Route
Bullet
Cotton
Dunk Shot
Dynamite Dux
E-Swat
Excite League
Flash Point
Golden Axe
Heavy Weight Champ
M.V.P.
Passing Shot
Riot City
Sonic Boom
Super League
Tetris
Tough Turf
Wrestle War
AB Cop
After Burner II
GP Rider
Last Survivor
Line of Fire
Racing Hero
Super Monaco GP
Thunder Blade
Bonanza Bros
Crack Down
Gain Ground
Hot Rod
Hot Rod Turbo
Super Masters Golf
Rough Racer
Scramble Spirits
G-Loc
Galaxy Force II
Power Drift
Rail Chase
Strike Fighter
Alien Storm
Bloxeed
Clutch Hitter
D.D. Crew
Desert Breaker
Laser Ghost
Michael Jackson's Moonwalker
Shadow Dancer

This is what Shinobi 3 looks like in its native resolution:
Shinobi3A.jpg

This is what Shinobi 3 should look like when blown up on your television:
Shinobi3B.jpg

This is what Shinobi 3 looks like on the supposed "Ultimate" collection:
bb7a366bd7353ff9a6869f04d3376b59.jpg

The price may be right, but I see no reason why we should have to settle for games that look considerably worse than the original versions did over a decade ago. I'm fine paying $8 for Virtual Console games, as the emulation is incredibly accurate and the games pretty much look exactly the same as they did on the original hardware.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
camineet said:
I'll be in it for the Sega 80s arcade games.

16-bit arcade wishlist:

Hang-On
Space Harrier
Super Hang-On
Enduro Racer
Out Run
Turbo Out Run
Action Fighter
Alex Kidd : The Lost Stars
Fantasy Zone
Shinobi
Tetris
Wonder Boy III : Monster Lair
Ace Attacker
Alien Syndrome
Altered Beast
Aurail
Bay Route
Bullet
Cotton
Dunk Shot
Dynamite Dux
E-Swat
Excite League
Flash Point
Golden Axe
Heavy Weight Champ
M.V.P.
Passing Shot
Riot City
Sonic Boom
Super League
Tetris
Tough Turf
Wrestle War
AB Cop
After Burner II
GP Rider
Last Survivor
Line of Fire
Racing Hero
Super Monaco GP
Thunder Blade
Bonanza Bros
Crack Down
Gain Ground
Hot Rod
Hot Rod Turbo
Super Masters Golf
Rough Racer
Scramble Spirits
G-Loc
Galaxy Force II
Power Drift
Rail Chase
Strike Fighter
Alien Storm
Bloxeed
Clutch Hitter
D.D. Crew
Desert Breaker
Laser Ghost
Michael Jackson's Moonwalker
Shadow Dancer
Don't know about Moonwalker due to licensing issues, and I have the XBLA version of Golden Axe, but that's a good list.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I'm not the biggest hater on filters but this is just sad Sega. If your going to bring back classics, at least do it right

Glorious past indeed

Monroeski said:
How did you unlock other games? Did you have to beat others first?

not beat, but play. it was a ridiculous amount of times (like 50?) too. really annoying if you wanted to just play a locked game from day 1.

atomico

camineet said:
I'll be in it for any of the Sega 80s arcade games.

16-bit SEGA Arcade game wishlist (for this collection and for future Sega collections)

I'd buy that in a second. and maybe if they make enough money from it, they'll make a a system 32 compillation, then follow with a model 1+2+3, naomi, lindbergh and so on.

:lol
we're delusional

camineet

Banned
atomico said:
I'd buy that in a second. and maybe if they make enough money from it, they'll make a a system 32 compillation, then follow with a model 1+2+3, naomi, lindbergh and so on.

:lol
we're delusional

Indeed :D :lol

Top Bottom