• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Mega Drive Ultimate Collection announced for PS3/360

Phantasy Star 1 must be in there as one of the "bonus" SMS games. I sure would love to see the FM sound version, localized, available.

camineet

Banned
a 'Sega Arcade Classics' series should be 3 to 5 volumes

i.e.

1.) all the 8-bit, 16-bit 2D arcade games from the 80s & 90s
2.) MODEL 1, MODEL 2, Titan ST-V games
3.) MODEL 3 games
4.) NAOMI, Hikaru, NAOMI 2, Chihiro games
5.) Lindbergh & Europa-R

The vast majority of those games are either unreleased at home, or brought home in severely downgraded/changed form. Only a small percentage of them have been brought home in the last 12 years (starting with Sega Ages on Saturn) in perfect form.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
forced 16:9 and HD filtered (it has to be filtered to some degree to get it to HD) and backbone emulation? Uggh... unless I hear REALLY positive things about this I'm just going to stick with VC and it's native resolution unfiltered output on genesis games. even the arcade stuff is uninteresting if we can't play it at native resolution 4:3.

Tailzo said:
I had no idea an emulated version of Sonic arcade existed. You say alright, is it alright, like Sonic 3d alright?

It's short and sort of interesting. I did have more fun playing it than I did playing Sonic 3D Blast. Sonic 3D Blast brings me to tears with how boring it is right around the time I hit the lava stage (Volcano Valley?).

Somebody put up a video of the entire game here, if you're interested in seeing it in motion.

Sega1991 said:
It's short and sort of interesting. I did have more fun playing it than I did playing Sonic 3D Blast. Sonic 3D Blast brings me to tears with how boring it is right around the time I hit the lava stage (Volcano Valley?).

Somebody put up a video of the entire game here, if you're interested in seeing it in motion.

Wow..... I remember wanting to play that so bad back in the day. Ever since the issue of EGM that gave it a 10, and said the gfx were the best ever. Now I see why...

Thanks for posting that man.... Sonic in the arcade is the closest I've seen any sprite work come to looking like an actual cartoon. That vid is awesome..

GhaleonEB

With the option to turn the filter off, I'll definately be picking this up. I never got to play Phatasy Star IV and have been meaning to track down a copy for ages. The other games will be a nice bonus. (Shining in the Darkness especially, since my old copy no longer works.)

GhaleonEB said:
With the option to turn the filter off, I'll definately be picking this up. I never got to play Phatasy Star IV and have been meaning to track down a copy for ages. The other games will be a nice bonus. (Shining in the Darkness especially, since my old copy no longer works.)

Thank god you stayed away from the genesis collection on the ps2 then, the emulation of the sound on PS4 was awful, the winning theme overlaped the battle music which should not have enen been playing. The sound effects were messed up, and some songs in every game on the disc just looped, sometimes cutting out half the song!!

GhaleonEB

KeioSquad2 said:
Thank god you stayed away from the genesis collection on the ps2 then, the emulation of the sound on PS4 was awful, the winning theme overlaped the battle music which should not have enen been playing. The sound effects were messed up, and some songs in every game on the disc just looped, sometimes cutting out half the song!!
What is it with audio problems with emulating Genesis games? The other disc-based retro set I have is the collection on the Dreamcast, and the sound it trashed on those games as well; I had to play them muted. Hopefully that's not an issue with the new versions.

If the price is right, I might bite.

Means I might never have to pull out my megadrive again though. Actually scratch that, I would, I need to play Rock n Roll racing.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
2 Minutes Turkish said:

Means I might never have to pull out my megadrive again though. Actually scratch that, I would, I need to play Rock n Roll racing.
It's been established that the price is $30.

2 Minutes Turkish said:

It's $30, so to me it's already a ripoff since there's not many rare or obscure games.

Amir0x

Banned
40 games for, what, $50 or $60?

Man that value sure sounds GREAT. That sure is a wonderful value. I wish other classic game downloadable services offered such an AMAZING value.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Amir0x said:
40 games for, what, $50 or $60?

Man that value sure sounds GREAT. That sure is a wonderful value. I wish other classic game downloadable services offered such an AMAZING value.

Isn't this only $30?

Amir0x

Banned
For only THIRTY BUCKS?

Fuck my loins. Those downloadable services sure can learn a thing or two, shitty filtering or not.

GhaleonEB said:
What is it with audio problems with emulating Genesis games?
686637.png

sajj316

Amir0x said:
For only THIRTY BUCKS?

Fuck my loins. Those downloadable services sure can learn a thing or two, shitty filtering or not.

Exactly. I'm not sure what the big deal is. If the emulation is spot on and filters smooth out the graphics and its only $30, why not! Yes, I can play these games other ways but I'd rather play in the comfort of my family room!

I have the Sonic Mega Collection (Xbox) and the Sega Genesis Collection (ps2). Is it better to hang on to these, or sell them and pick up this new collection (ps3)?

RpgN

Colonel Nelson said:
I have the Sonic Mega Collection (Xbox) and the Sega Genesis Collection (ps2). Is it better to hang on to these, or sell them and pick up this new collection (ps3)?

It depends if you care about certain games being left out on the ps3 version (like virtua fighter 2). The ps3 version has more worthwhile games, trophy support and I think (not sure) online multiplayer from what I have read a few threads ago. It is yet to be seen if the emulation is good, but the Ps3/Xbox 360 versions look like they are the better deal and I would sell what you have (except psp version being portable).

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
GarthVaderUK said:
Any word on the price for Europe?

GAME has the RRP at £29.99, and is doing it for £24.99. Might see it for £20 closer to launch, keep your eye on the EuroGAF deals thread.

Alphahawk

So I was looking over the list of games included on the disc and was kinda disappointed to find out that this games mostly a retooled version of Sega's previous Genesis collection for the PS2 a couple years ago with a couple new games added.Still will probably pick it up, but still it's disappointing.

GhaleonEB

Alphahawk said:
So I was looking over the list of games included on the disc and was kinda disappointed to find out that this games mostly a retooled version of Sega's previous Genesis collection for the PS2 a couple years ago with a couple new games added.Still will probably pick it up, but still it's disappointing.
Yeah, there's a lot of overlap. But the extras that are trickling out sound excellent.

It was in the other thread for this package, but the original Phantasy Star was confirmed (including the original and the Sega AGES remake). So this set has all four of the original PS games. It's the first time I've had the chance to pick that up, so I'm thrilled.

GhaleonEB

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Wait a second the remake of PS1 is included?

As in...this remake ---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQvQEam8QmM ?

Wait that doesn't even make sense.

Are we talking about the Phantasy Star 1-4 JPN only collection remake? Then shoot why not just include the fixes for the other three games as well?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14383251&postcount=127

Gah, I misread the PR. I was recalling the "did you know" as stuff included. My bad. But hey, PS1 is included.

Now you can experience the game that launched the popular role-playing series. The first Phantasy Star adventure takes place in the far off future in a sector of space known as the Algol Star System. The system is home to the planets Palma, Motavia, and Dezoris, all of which are under the rule of King Lassic. Much to the dismay of the populace, Lassic has turned corrupt, allowing darkness to spread throughout the system. When Nero, a rebel fighting against the new regime, is killed, his sister, Alis, sets out to avenge his death. In the world of Phantasy Star, futuristic technology combines with old-fashioned magic to create a unique experience. Travel across worlds and brave the 3D dungeons to bring Lassic to justice.

Did You Know?
- A graphically enhanced version of Phantasy Star™ was the first title released in the Japan-only SEGA Ages™ series.
- In Japan, Phantasy Star™ was re-released on both the SEGA Mega Drive™ and SEGA Saturn™.

AppleBlade

I want to get it but I have like 19 games on my VC that I hardly touched yet. :- ( I'm trying to convince myself that it is ok because these have trophies, come on, someone help me out . . .

GhaleonEB

SailorDaravon said:
God damn it Ghal, I just had an awesome 5 minutes of my life and then you dashed my dreams.
Look at it this way: you can always look back and savor those five minutes I gave you.

Of course, I had a full week of that. Nice, but shit am I feeling silly now. :lol

bengraven

I'm still pissed off that I own most of these games through either the Genesis collection on PSP or downloadables.

Fuck you, Japanese gaming companies from my past that like to shaft me.

No real Shining Force sequel, but you can keep charging me over and over again for the same games...

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Any word on the bonus arcade games? If they put in Virtua Racing or something like that, I'd squeal like a little girl.

Hive

Banned
i was wondering if all these re-releases of Phantasy Star II has resulted in an updated script. It's one of my fav. games, but it has so many textual issues

GhaleonEB

RaidenZR said:
This game is $27.99 right now for pre-order on Amazon.

I find it hard to resist... ordered.
I won a $25 Amazon gift certificate from work, so I pre-ordered it there as well. Did the free shipping (which means I have to wait a week, but oh well), but that meant I just paid $2.99 for something that will keep me busy all year long. Current plan is to play the Phantasy Star series though in sequence, which alone should get me to summer.

Value.

Any word on why Toejam and Earl aren't included on this compilation?

Like, is there some sort of license involved?

Because, you know, an Ultimate Genesis collection without those two games is like a SNES collection without...you know, Metroid or something.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
SonicMegaDrive said:
Any word on why Toejam and Earl aren't included on this compilation?

Like, is there some sort of license involved?

Because, you know, an Ultimate Genesis collection without those two games is like a SNES collection without...you know, Metroid or something.
What happens if this is successful?

You don't want to shoot your load the first time and have nothing left for seconds.

cjelly said:

You don't want to shoot your load the first time and have nothing left for seconds.

Well, there really isn't much that they left out besides those two.

Except for arcade ports(Space Harrier, Super Hang-On, Super Monaco GP, etc...except for Super Thunder Blade for some odd reason...), licensed stuff(Castle of Illusion, X-Men, Jurassic Park, etc), and bad games that nobody wants(Like Ecco Jr. or Crystal's Pony Tale, The Ooze), or stuff where they would likely have to pay some sort of royalty(Revenge of Shinobi, Dinosaurs for Hire, Ex-Mutants, Cyborg Justice, Chakan the Forever Man, Moonwalker, Greendog, etc etc).

The only obvious omissions are the two Toejam & Earl games, Gunstar Heroes, and Shadow Dancer. And they took out Sword of Vermillion for some reason.

I doubt there would be enough leftovers to create a second compilation that has the same "oomph" as this one without having a lot of repeats.

cjelly said:

It was successful when this collection originally came out on PS2. Now we're getting... pretty much the same lot of games again!

And I'll buy it again. ='(

Top Bottom