• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Mega Drive Ultimate Collection announced for PS3/360

Vanish

shagg_187 said:
Awesome! What else do you people have left behind to complain?

it has to have sonic 3 and knuckles together combined in a single game and include phastasy star 1. seems stupid to have parts 2-4 but not 1

Vanish said:
it has to have sonic 3 and knuckles together combined in a single game and include phastasy star 1. seems stupid to have parts 2-4 but not 1

Phantasy star 1 is confirmed to be an unlockable. Sonic 3 and Knuckles might also be an unlockable.

NEXT!!! :p

Zophar

Vanish said:
....It's a Sega Genesis collection. Phantasy Star 1 was on the Master System.

(yes I know there was a Mega Drive version but I sincerely doubt these guys are willing to put forth the effort and localize it)

Zophar said:

(yes I know there was a Mega Drive version but I sincerely doubt these guys are willing to put forth the effort and localize it)

Read my post above you :p

Here's the info from the press release:

• THE LARGEST COLLECTION OF CLASSIC SEGA TITLES. All the favorites are here including Sonic The Hedgehog, four titles from the Phantasy Star™ series, as well as three titles from the Streets of Rage™ series, to name a few.

MoxManiac

shagg_187 said:
Awesome! What else do you people have left behind to complain?

Well, i'm not sure people want 4:3 genesis games stretched to 16:9. Black borders are good in this case.

MoxManiac said:
Well, i'm not sure people want 4:3 genesis games stretched to 16:9. Black borders are good in this case.

Or they could even put something over the border area, instead of leaving it blank black, but... that would be work I guess.

Wark

shagg_187 said:
Read my post above you :p

Here's the info from the press release:

• THE LARGEST COLLECTION OF CLASSIC SEGA TITLES. All the favorites are here including Sonic The Hedgehog, four titles from the Phantasy Star™ series, as well as three titles from the Streets of Rage™ series, to name a few.

Man, I cannot wait for this collection to come out. There are so many great games I grew up playing on it.

DarkCloud

a Master Ninja said:
That blows. We should be able to switch between them from within the game. We shouldn't have to dick with our dashboard settings every time.

Actually if you go back and look at the released images on the front page you will see that is what they are likely going to allow.

Sonic bordered 4:3 in widescreen 720p

1.jpg

Columns stretched to fit the full 720p widescreen

3.jpg

Shinobi 3 stretched to almost fill the full screen

5.jpg

They're likely reusing the emu they designed for XBLA that allows screen adjusting while in game to fit the players TV shape. If I recall there is also a few presets that allow fit to height while retaining aspect ratio (will have to fire up SoR2 again to be sure)

I can't believe there were people on the first page complaining that Sega was screwing their fans by releasing a compilation instead of releasing games piecemeal on XBLA or VC or whatever.

How is giving people fantastic value "screwing" them? Oh right, you might only want a couple of games on the disk. Well frankly, wait for a price drop then. The rest of us prefer paying a couple of bucks per game for a hard copy that will play on future consoles. And I'm beyond greatful that Sega are still doing titles like this when every other company in the industry is working so hard to nickle and dime us all to death.

How many compilations were there last gen? Countless. How many this gen? None. Thank you Sega!!!

sennin

Some of my best memories with Genesis games are trapped in a license minefield. Revenge of Shinobi (Bruce Lee, Terminator, Spiderman and Batman foes ~.~) Spiderman vs. The Kingpin and Batman won't be making appearances. I've been holding off buying the PS2/PsP versions for a while, might bite if the response from fans and critics alike share common positive ground.

DarkCloud said:
Actually if you go back and look at the released images on the front page you will see that is what they are likely going to allow.
You are most likely correct. I should have paid closer attention to those screens (the filter distracted me :lol). I'll most likely buy this day one. It will have Sonic 3 & Knuckles, right?

Oh, and Sega needs to look into releasing a Dreamcast compilation of some sort.

DarkCloud

Sonic and Knuckles 3, Blue Sphere, and Sonic 2 and Knuckles will almost assuredly be there as unlocks. They have yet to miss the opportunity to include those games in any of the collections to have SaK in them. The remaining non arcade titles will likely be Ecco Jr, Phantasy Star 1, The ooze, and the master system/game gear sonic games from Sonic adventure DX and Mega collection Plus.

Basically turning this into a mash up of all the compilations released in the last 7 years minus Sonic Gems (unless they choose to surprise me and toss Sonic CD and fighters in as extras).

i just wish they'd take a page from capcom and offer unlockable remixed music options for the games that have them (Sonic 3D blast/Sonic Spinball/Sonic & Knuckles/Phantasy Star 4/both ecco games)

camineet

Banned
I'm getting tired of all the Sega collections with the same ole same old.
Only reason I got Sega Genesis Collection was for arcade Altered Beast and Zaxxon.

We've gotta have those 80s & 90s Sega 2D sprite arcade games, so bad!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
The arcade version of "moonwalker" was so much fun, with the isometric perspective. I'd love to see some more SEGA arcade games make the transition over, instead of their butchered console ports.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Cammineet great list bro!

Dude, we gotta play some of those Sega System 32 arcade games online via Kaillera P2P(a MUCH better, stabler, less laggy version of Kaillera) man!

Tailzo

For me this is an incredible deal. I've wanted to own a lot of these games for a long time... When ca I preorder the game?

Ricker

How will Phantasy Star 1 become unlock?... now that this is confirmed and the 16:9 support,I'm grabbing this for sure(all the batteries in the original PS are probably dead by now hehe)

Tailzo

Phantasy Star 1 might be unlocked by playing through one of the genesis phantasy star games. And if you don't wanna finish those games yet another time, it might be possible to download a gamesave to unlock it?

Gattsu25

Banned
APZonerunner said:
Thank Christ.

"Mega Drive Collection filter can be turned off, say Sega

Sega has confirmed that the 'smoothing' filter that has been seen applied to classic games in screenshots of the upcoming Mega Drive Collection will be optional.

Speaking to RPGSite, a Sega PR representative confirmed that the filter which proved controversial with fans would be optional. "I’ve had confirmation that the filter can indeed be switched off," Martin Snelling of Sega UK told us. "And the games will display at whatever ratio your console is set at – 4:3 or 16:9. If playing in 16:9 the game will fit and not have black borders at the side." he added, confirming another feature that will please fans."

http://www.rpgsite.net/news/297.html
Awesome news

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Fit the game if you have a 16:9 TV? That sounds like stretching... (zooming would be horrible)... well I'll have to use my TV's 4:3 mode even though the game should do that if they have cycles to spare (think about PSP's SEGA Genesis Collection which offers native, scaled to fit vertically or zoom to fit the full 16:9 image)...

SanjuroTsubaki said:
Chili Dog as pre-order incentive confirmed.
You're

Anyway, good thing those horrible filters can be shut off - they make me want to cry. Still, it's pretty much the same list as Sega Genesis Collection, which I bought twice. No sale until it becomes $10 or $15.
2DMention said:
Might be worth it for SOR3
No.
and PS IV.
SEGA_Genesis_Collection.jpg

kuYuri

Susurrus said:
I kind of regret buying Sonic and Sonic 2 on XBLA like 3 months ago.

You should, especially, when the Sonic Mega Collection existed on three different platforms last gen. :p

Agent X

Gold Member
APZonerunner said:
Thank Christ.

"Mega Drive Collection filter can be turned off, say Sega

Sega has confirmed that the 'smoothing' filter that has been seen applied to classic games in screenshots of the upcoming Mega Drive Collection will be optional.

Whew, that's good.

APZonerunner said:
"And the games will display at whatever ratio your console is set at – 4:3 or 16:9. If playing in 16:9 the game will fit and not have black borders at the side." he added, confirming another feature that will please fans."

Uh, that's...not so good.

I don't have a 16:9 television, but if I did, then I'd prefer to have this disc output Genesis games at 4:3 without the need to fiddle with the console or TV settings. I have Sega Genesis Collection on PSP, along with several other classic game collections, and almost all of the games I prefer to play using the original 4:3 ratio. I rarely ever use widescreen stretch.

Don't get me wrong, offering the option for widescreen stretch is great, but they should also allow users to choose 4:3 ratio from within the software program itself.

SegaSonic Arcade was slated for Sonic Gems, but apparently they had a tough time translating the trackball controls in to analog stick movement.

Sega1991 said:
SegaSonic Arcade was slated for Sonic Gems, but apparently they had a tough time translating the trackball controls in to analog stick movement.

I'm not surprised, its impossible to play in MAME with an analog stick.

camineet

Banned
I must say, I'm very proud of all those wonderful Sega coin-op arcade games that I posted flyers of.... Brings me back to the time when Sega produced the best games in the world. Nobody else could match Sega games or technology. The best games on the best arcade-platforms. They were above all.

Gagaman

camineet said:
I'm getting tired of all the Sega collections with the same ole same old.
Only reason I got Sega Genesis Collection was for arcade Altered Beast and Zaxxon.

We've gotta have those 80s & 90s Sega 2D sprite arcade games, so bad!

IMAGES
This post is love. If they could put all of these games (excluding the licensed ones which they'd never get on there, or course) on a disc I'd probably buy five copies. That lot could be Volume one and Volume two could contain all their first 3D stuff like Virtua Racing/Fighter/Daytona etc. One can dream, I guess.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Zophar said:

The "Mega Drive" version of Phantasy Star 1 is identical to the MarkIII/SMS version. Byte-for-byte the same damn game. It kicks the MD into SMS mode and runs in the same manner as SMS games do via the Power Base Converter.

Any Genesis emulator worth anything should be able to run SMS games without a hitch. Almost all of the hardware needed to run SMS games is included in the Genny. The official converter is more of a pass-through device than anything else.

Tailzo

Sega1991 said:

So it might never be find its way to consoles? Too bad, as I never got to try it.

bengraven said:
Like PT said, it's Revenge of Death Adder.

Sega has yet to release it in any form other than arcades and it's a shame: it's simply one of the best arcade beat'em ups ever.

Trix4life
I still prefer the original Golden Axe to it, but it's a cool game and one of the first 32bit Sega arcade games IIRC. But yea, a System 16/24/32 compilation is a much better idea than yet another Genesis one. At least include some random shit like 32X/SCD games...

Susurrus

Tailzo said:
Phantasy Star 1 might be unlocked by playing through one of the genesis phantasy star games. And if you don't wanna finish those games yet another time, it might be possible to download a gamesave to unlock it?

That would be fail. I would imagine most people that never played these before would want to play them in order. (I would...)

Strider2K99 said:
You should, especially, when the Sonic Mega Collection existed on three different platforms last gen. :p

Which I own on Gamecube. I'm just a sucker I guess. :(

Tailzo said:
So it might never be find its way to consoles? Too bad, as I never got to try it.

I'm sure it'd probably be possible.

But... I dunno. The game's alright using other control means (I usually use my mouse when I emulate it on MAME), but I'd assume the trackball would make it a lot more... unique. Sort of like the difference between playing DK Jungle Beat on a gamepad vs. the bongos, or Guitar Hero on a gamepad vs. the guitar.

It wouldn't work on the Wii, but they could have the stick be the spin's direction, and an analog trigger be the actual spin strength. It would allow for more sensitivity, although the approach could be too awkward.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
I might get this if the emulation quality is good. Seems like it would be a lot more cost-effective than buying all of these games individually on VC.

Susurrus said:
Do we really need another one of these? There's already one for Gamecube/Xbox/PS2 that runs on Wii/360/PS3...

but you get games that were never meant to run in widescreen, now in stretched-out-funky-looking 16:9!

Tailzo

Sega1991 said:
I'm sure it'd probably be possible.

But... I dunno. The game's alright using other control means (I usually use my mouse when I emulate it on MAME), but I'd assume the trackball would make it a lot more... unique. Sort of like the difference between playing DK Jungle Beat on a gamepad vs. the bongos, or Guitar Hero on a gamepad vs. the guitar.
I had no idea an emulated version of Sonic arcade existed. You say alright, is it alright, like Sonic 3d alright?

Top Bottom