• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Mega Drive Ultimate Collection announced for PS3/360

Mar

Filter looks absolutely horrible. But I'm buying the game(s) anyway. Too many classics to miss out on.

It shits me these didn't come to XBLA though. I'd prefer to pay 5 to 10 dollars for the ones I want + leaderboards and separate gamerscores.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
If the filter is optional, I'm buying this. I'd have most of Sega's good old-school games on one disc. That's worth 30 bucks to me.

The only two games that weren't mentioned that I'd want, are Super Monaco GP (Which was great on the Mega-Drive), and Revenge of Shinobi. Otherwise they got most of the good games that Sega put out back then.

shidoshi said:
No, I absolutely agree with you. If this had, instead of being basically the same select of games we keep getting over and over, a COMPLETE collection of Sega-brand titles from both the Master System and Genesis, I'd think far more highly of it. There is really absolutely no excuse for this to not also include every single Master System title Sega released, save for those that may at this point have licensing issues.
I actually just bought myself a Master System, so I'm not too worried about that; though it would have been sweet to have the best games in this collection too like Zillion. But yeah, the whole "ultimate" moniker is lost when it's just a meager 40 games. AT LEAST give us every first party game... This seems like a copout, since we've had so many other collections in the past like the Sonic or Genesis collections of last gen. 720p with shitty filters doesn't make this ultimate.

The Nintendo fanboy in me is thankful this isn't an actual current gen Sonic Mega/Gems Collection, but more of a Genesis collection with Sonic games we can play already in Mega Collection.

So I don't feel that Wii owners are being screwed over.

If it was an actual Sonic Collection with Chaotix and the DC Adventure games and even with Shuffle, then I'd be boiling mad! :p

I thought the Sega Genesis Collection for PSP/PS2 was pretty good, but I don't know if I'd spring for another Sega/Sonic collection. It's pretty simple to have all the Genesis games ever made on a single DVD running on the Wii through homebrew, though. 720p wouldn't be much help for these games, and the filter would make them look like rubbish.

bengraven said:
For the love of God I decided I'll buy this if Sega finally gives me

980_1.png
What game is this?

I wish they would put more fighting games on this

akilshohen said:
What game is this?

That's Golden Axe 2. Well, the REAL one for the arcade, The Revenge of Death Adder. It's not officially called 2, but to most people it is.

I'd much rather have an arcade collection from Sega than another Genesis one, considering a lot of the Genesis versions of games are inferior. Plus, like RODA, there are other games that just never came to the Genesis. Actually, how bout a Saturn collection? Now that's something I'd pay full price for, especially if it had even just a few classic games on it.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
SonicMegaDrive said:
Blecch! No 'Revenge of Shinobi', either.

Just use the 'censored' ROM or something, guys. Sheesh!
The censored version of Revenge of Shinobi still contained Spider-Man as a boss (complete with copyright notice on the title screen). Obviously, Sega doesn't have the Spidey license anymore. They unable to release any version of the game, sadly.

Agent X

_dementia said:
-1 purchase.

What?

Backbone's record may be spotty for most games, but I have great faith in their ability to deliver quality classic game emulation. Their Genesis emulation in Sega Genesis Collection on PSP is virtually flawless.

The only problem I see so far is that the filter (seen in the photos Jim posted) looks terrible for those games. Hopefully they have other filter options, including "none".

Dead Man Typing said:
I would buy some of these games as XBLA games, just like I bought Sonic 1, Sonic 2 and Streets of Rage 2.

I will not buy another crappy compilation, Sega. And I love Sega. By doing this instead of releasing these old titles as PSN/XBLA games you are screwing your loyal fans, your casual customers and anyone who likes having old school games on their harddrive to play at their convenience.

Sorry, I'm in the opposing camp on this one. 40 Genesis games for $30? Sign me up! It sure beats paying $8 for a single game download.

Between Sega Genesis Collection and GameTap's extensive Genesis catalog, I've already got most of these games covered. I'd like to know what the bonus content consists of, especially the arcade games. Also, it would be great if they included some of the old Genesis commercials on the disc as bonus material.

Coolio McAwesome said:
This is what Shinobi 3 looks like in its native resolution:
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z232/cooliomcawesome/Shinobi3A.jpg

This is what Shinobi 3 should look like when blown up on your television:
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z232/cooliomcawesome/Shinobi3B.jpg

This is what Shinobi 3 looks like on the supposed "Ultimate" collection:
http://loading.se/images/94/43/bb7a366bd7353ff9a6869f04d3376b59.jpg

The price may be right, but I see no reason why we should have to settle for games that look considerably worse than the original versions did over a decade ago. I'm fine paying $8 for Virtual Console games, as the emulation is incredibly accurate and the games pretty much look exactly the same as they did on the original hardware.

Two additional images: first, what it should look like blown up to 720 vertical lines in the correct aspect ratio, to demonstrate that upscaling to HD without a blur filter is perfectly possible:
2rwkxep.jpg

What it would look like if upscaled properly and then stretched and outputted in the same resolution as the shot provided, so that a direct comparison can be made:
14ag16s.jpg

bb7a366bd7353ff9a6869f04d3376b59.jpg

Sega wisely deciding against a Wii Port.

Sega knows as well as anyone, that Sonic games have traditionally sold like shit on all Nintendo consoles.

Rlan

Eh, they have Sonic Mega Collection and Sonic Gems Collection for Gamecube anyway :)

[Though Xbox does have Sonic Mega Collection which does work. bah!]

I'm just glad they've decided to put Streets of Rage games back on there. They were taken out of the Mega Collection + in America since they were rated "T", and I believe they weren't in the other collection either.

HUELEN10

The-Switcher said:

Sega knows as well as anyone, that Sonic games have traditionally sold like shit on all Nintendo consoles.
I don't get this post.

1. Sonic games do well on ninty consoles.
2. Releasing this on Wii would hurt VC sales, and also introduce shitty emulation. SEGA is being wise.

Phoenix Fang said:
GAF Reaction: WTF!! Why can't they release these games seperately on Live/PSN so I can choose what I want.

Company never wins.

It's really more like:

GAF Reaction: WTF!! Why are they bragging about 720p when it's just a shitty emulator filter!? And why do they keep giving work to Backbone!?

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
jman2050 said:
1. Get *CGA*
2. Get Fatal Labyrinth, E-Swat, Shining Force 2 and Super Thunder Blade through other means.
3. Skip this

Problem solved.

Fickst

Parallax said:
except thats not the reason the majority is complaining. its the filter that makes the games look like shit thats the problem.

And what exactly is your point? My point was targeted for that group which made up the majority of the 1st page (100 replies per page)

Kulock said:
It's really more like:

GAF Reaction: WTF!! Why are they bragging about 720p when it's just a shitty emulator filter!? And why do they keep giving work to Backbone!?

My post was in reaction the replies on the first page before GAF decided to attack the filter which was before the screenshot were revealed

Infernal Monkey said:
:lol Fucking disgusting.

Being a bit of a drama queen are we? This topic is full of drama queens.

Rolf NB

I just hope the person who did the main menu music in the Genesis Mega Collection has been ... replaced. Absolute vomit. Drives me up the walls.

Dunno what the hell you guys are on but this collection is getting BOUGHT.
29.99 for 40+ games is a steal. Plus it has Beyond Oasis. More people need to play Beyond Oasis dammit!

Oh and why the hell are people listing licensed games? On top of that in order for Sega to re-release Revenge of Shinobi they'd have to cut a deal with Marvel/DC (yes even for the "censored" version). No way that's ever gonna happen.

Eteric Rice

neight said:
displayed at 720p means it's going to have a nasty bilinear filter. god bless the wii's analog sd output.

I think this is the first time I've ever heard someone say something good about the Wii's SD. Holy God. :lol

The-Switcher said:

Sarcasm, right?

I CAN'T TELL ANYMORE, GAF.

The Mighty Schwein said:
What are the odds that the arcade version of E-SWAT will be in this? Screw the Genesis game.

I guess 0% chance and that is a shame. I would really prefer arcade compilations, we are so full of Genesis ones, but I guess that would be a real work for them (a MAME style emulation instead a generic genesis one with roms).

real arcade games like:
- Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder
- Power Drift
- Alien Syndrome
- Arabian Fight
- Sonic Arcade
- OutRunners
- Rad Mobile
- Rad Rally
- Alien Storm
- Shadow Dancer Arcade
- E-SWAT Arcade

and so on... That would be an amazing collection (and then, why not to make a Model1/2/3 compilation? I know that PowerVR games are difficult to port due to the difference in the polygons, but just do it!)

trophies support is good (there is a limit on the numbers of trophies ? i hope for at least 5 good and creative trophies for every game..) but please.. only on disk ? release this on psn, advertise it well (40 games in one!), sell it for 20 dollars.. and make like ten times more than a disk version sold at 30 in store.

also, why no ragnacenty (crusader of centy) ? it is one of the most funny zelda clones i ever played..

bengraven

akilshohen said:
What game is this?

Like PT said, it's Revenge of Death Adder.

Sega has yet to release it in any form other than arcades and it's a shame: it's simply one of the best arcade beat'em ups ever.

Trix4life

Coolio McAwesome said:
This is what Shinobi 3 should look like when blown up on your television:
Shinobi3B.jpg

More like this...

DSC00239.jpg

Still using it's native resolution. But pictures cant do justice. It looks much better personally.

Ploid 3.0 said:
:lol funny, my smile turned into disappointed face at the moment I saw the developer. Darn Backbone.

I've no idea why people keep saying this, Sonic 1 & 2 on XBLA are decently done.
Save your hate for the truly talentless
Stainless

shaowebb

Since sonic cd is on the sonic gems collection Im going to yell for the only 2 sonic games that I havent found in any compilation yet.
Knuckles Chaotix 32x
Sonic Arcade
and what the hell because its everywhere else a third
Sonic Crackers

I know technically Knuckles Chaotix is a KNUCKLES game but screw it. Its on the list.

As for other games gimme some Shining Force 3 and Shining Force CD.

Translate the Phantasy Star side story games you made and ship them.

And oh lets not forget the Panzer Dragoon series.

Also NiGHTS into Dreams, Clockwork Knight 1 & 2, and finally Bug.
No sequels for that last one please. I prefer to go without afro touting insects.

Where do you people get the idea that Toejam and Earl [1 & 2] is on it?? On the SEGA website I only see the following 40 titles:

Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
Alien Storm
Altered Beast
Beyond Oasis
Bonanza Bros.
Columns
Comix Zone
Decap Attack starring Chuck D. Head
Dr. Robotnik's MBM
Dynamite Headdy
Ecco the Dolphin
Ecco II: The Tides of Time
E-SWAT
Fatal Labyrinth
Flicky
Gain Ground
Golden Axe I
Golden Axe II
Golden Axe III
Kid Chameleon
Phantasy Star II
Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom
Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium
Ristar
Shining in the Darkness
Shining Force
Shining Force 2
Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
Sonic 3D Blast
Sonic and Knuckles
Sonic Spinball
Sonic The Hedgehog
Sonic The Hedgehog 2
Sonic The Hedgehog 3
Streets of Rage
Streets of Rage 2
Streets of Rage 3
Super Thunder Blade
Vectorman
Vectorman 2

Thank Christ.

"Mega Drive Collection filter can be turned off, say Sega

Sega has confirmed that the 'smoothing' filter that has been seen applied to classic games in screenshots of the upcoming Mega Drive Collection will be optional.

Speaking to RPGSite, a Sega PR representative confirmed that the filter which proved controversial with fans would be optional. "I’ve had confirmation that the filter can indeed be switched off," Martin Snelling of Sega UK told us. "And the games will display at whatever ratio your console is set at – 4:3 or 16:9. If playing in 16:9 the game will fit and not have black borders at the side." he added, confirming another feature that will please fans."

http://www.rpgsite.net/news/297.html

APZonerunner said:
Thank Christ.

Sega has confirmed that the 'smoothing' filter that has been seen applied to classic games in screenshots of the upcoming Mega Drive Collection will be optional.

Speaking to RPGSite, a Sega PR representative confirmed that the filter which proved controversial with fans would be optional. "I’ve had confirmation that the filter can indeed be switched off," Martin Snelling of Sega UK told us. "And the games will display at whatever ratio your console is set at – 4:3 or 16:9. If playing in 16:9 the game will fit and not have black borders at the side." he added, confirming another feature that will please fans."

I figured this would be the case. Glad to see some confirmation.

Susurrus

APZonerunner said:
Thank Christ.And the games will display at whatever ratio your console is set at – 4:3 or 16:9. If playing in 16:9 the game will fit and not have black borders at the side."[/I] he added, confirming another feature that will please fans."

So long as this doesn't mean stretch-o-vision or clipped, that sold it right there. (Assuming is has S3&K)

Phantasy Star 1 would be a nice plus, otherwise the other 3 are meaningless to me....OCD ftw

Dr Zhivago said:
I've no idea why people keep saying this, Sonic 1 & 2 on XBLA are decently done.

They're adequate.

I mean, the emulator they use functions, it wasn't exactly breaking new ground. For Sonic 2, they jury-rigged the 2 player mode to work online (again, not an entirely new function of basic Genesis and SNES emulators), and they didn't even deliver the online co-op (like how Tails can be controlled locally with a second controller), which they said they were going to do from the beginning.

They restricted it so you couldn't use any of the debug or level select codes, even though there could have been lots of ways to limit cheating while still letting people have their fun. There was no extra content, even just filler crap to pad things out would be nice. Tell the people unaware that there used to be a Wood Zone, show them a few pictures of Hidden Palace, blow their minds a little.

My personal favorite were the ass-ugly and inconsistent achivement icons, particularly when I figured out that rather than using something that made sense, like a Sonic 2 Super Sonic sprite, they used an edited sprite of Shadow the Hedgehog! Not even this game could escape! :lol

14CLiGJhbC9BFQUXXFJRFzYzL2FjaC8wLzUAAAAA5+fn+Co1dw==.jpg
Sonic2XBLA-ShadowAchievement.png

But seriously, Backbone phones it in. They do enough to get by, and that's it. So there's no reason to applaud when they get named as the dev house behind "40 roms on a disc."

_dementia said:
With shit emulation and sound
I swear, some people are completely incapable of discerning how good or bad emulation is and just focus on the number of titles in a compilation. Actually, it's probably a lot of people. Which is why Backbone keeps getting hired.

Burai

shitonmychest57
ninjaurbano said:
More like this...

DSC00239.jpg

Still using it's native resolution. But pictures cant do justice. It looks much better personally.

I can't be doing with scanlines. The scanlines that you get from emu's just don't look the same as the scanlines you get from a real TV.

APZonerunner said:
"And the games will display at whatever ratio your console is set at – 4:3 or 16:9. If playing in 16:9 the game will fit and not have black borders at the side." he added, confirming another feature that will please fans."
That blows. We should be able to switch between them from within the game. We shouldn't have to dick with our dashboard settings every time.

Eteric Rice said:
I think this is the first time I've ever heard someone say something good about the Wii's SD. Holy God. :lol

Its hardly a surprising comment, the Wii has by far the best output for clasic games. Many even output in their original resolution (e.g. 240p) and "most" don't have any filters at all.

Burai said:
I can't be doing with scanlines. The scanlines that you get from emu's just don't look the same as the scanlines you get from a real TV.

Actually, this is running on a real TV at the native resolution, without any filtering or scanlines. I just changed my desktop resolution to 320x240 in order to show how the game really looks originally (I'm using ArcadeVGA connected to the TV through component, btw) .

APZonerunner said:
Thank Christ.

Awesome! What else do you people have left behind to complain?

a Master Ninja said:
That blows. We should be able to switch between them from within the game. We shouldn't have to dick with our dashboard settings every time.

Top Bottom